Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling to NI

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

Didn’t mean for this to turn into an support irish business bashing thread. Thanks for your responses

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

skinny90 wrote: »
    Didn’t mean for this to turn into an support irish business bashing thread. Thanks for your responses

I know you didn't, but that's how threads evolve. Enjoy your break anyway.

theguzman wrote: »
    I'm driving from Kerry to Belfast tomorrow, grand hotels for €60 for the night, I'll go to see the Giants Causeway, places from Game of Thrones. Irish Ripoff hotels and restaurants can go to hell as far as I am concerned. I am from Kerry the ripoff capital of Ireland so I see it everytime, no way in hell I would leave a penny to the Irish hospitality sector. 90p to the Euro and going North is a no brainer for me for the week.

That is some journey my friend. Are you planning to stop halfway or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

That is some journey my friend. Are you planning to stop halfway or anything?

I'll plan to go non-stop to Dublin via the M8 Motorway via Macroom and Cork City to the Jack Lynch Tunnel. I'll pickup the GF in Portmarnock and then face for Belfast after that. My usual pitstop locations of Ballacolla and J14 are ruled out due to the Kildare and Laois lockdowns. I have decided to go the scenic route and dodge all tolls tomorrow since I'm in no particular hurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

I went to the marble arch caves and I payed if I remember 10 £ which I not consider cheap. I not remember how much on giants causeway but it was not cheap, and in England to see Stonehenge I payed 21 £ and this is what I call a rip off. Don't know why people complain so much here about prices in ROI, like if in UK things are cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭normanoffside

That's fair enough. But for now, stay here.

who are you to tell people what to do?
    FYI Fermanagh is in Ireland, that's a fact.
    And Tourism Ireland is an all Island body.

theguzman wrote: »
    I'll plan to go non-stop to Dublin via the M8 Motorway via Macroom and Cork City to the Jack Lynch Tunnel. I'll pickup the GF in Portmarnock and then face for Belfast after that. My usual pitstop locations of Ballacolla and J14 are ruled out due to the Kildare and Laois lockdowns. I have decided to go the scenic route and dodge all tolls tomorrow since I'm in no particular hurry.

You are a legend!

I know. But if you are living in ROI stay there for now. No need to prop up NI in this crisis.

I know. But if you are living in ROI stay there for now. No need to prop up NI in this crisis.

When Failte Ireland was encouraging stay-cations they were including NI.
    NI tourists are encouraged to come down here too, it's reciprocal and good for the island.
    We have had similar approaches and instances of infections throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Hi all

Travelling to enniskillen for 2 nights. Just realised NI is not on the green list, will I need to quarantine?

Enniskillen is in Ireland, no need to quarantine when staying in the same country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,246 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Das Reich wrote: »
    I went to the marble arch caves and I payed if I remember 10 £ which I not consider cheap. I not remember how much on giants causeway but it was not cheap, and in England to see Stonehenge I payed 21 £ and this is what I call a rip off. Don't know why people complain so much here about prices in ROI, like if in UK things are cheaper.
    The giants causeway is free.....you pay for parking though.
    You can always park in the little pub beside it for free..

The rope bridge is about 7/8 pounds I think.

I am from northern Ireland went up a few weeks back to see folks, no issues, masks and number very limited in shops etc.
    Northern Ireland is a lot cheaper, than ROI especially when it comes to Dublin prices.
    We go to newry for dog food and it's worth it big time even with the spend on petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,118 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Ah come on, spend your money in your own country, don the Green Jersey.

I know there are great places up there, and the lakes and that around Enniskillen are brilliant. But anyone going North now for a break is not helping our own country out at all. But perhaps you are visiting family, grand if so.

Oh and the Flegs...

But off you go, enjoy yourself. No quarantine required. NI on the exempt list.

Do you not think many of us in the North are holidaying in the South? Because I can tell you most I know are heading down or over to Donegal.

You are the flip-side of rabid DUP supporter - and that's not a compliment.

circadian wrote: »
    So much drivel.

Why put money into the British economy?

Fermanagh is in the UK. The POUNDS spent there will go into the economy of the United Kingdom.

When Failte Ireland was encouraging stay-cations they were including NI.
    NI tourists are encouraged to come down here too, it's reciprocal and good for the island.
    We have had similar approaches and instances of infections throughout.

Fair enough, but it doesn't mean you have to be so aeriated about it.

I will spend my staycation in my own country for now anyway. No way am I going to spend it in the UK jurisdiction. For now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Das Reich wrote: »

Crag Cave in Kerry and Alliwee Cave in Clare are both €15 entry fee £10 = €11 currently. The Cliffs of Moher rip off springs to mind also.

Do you not think many of us in the North are holidaying in the South? Because I can tell you most I know are heading down or over to Donegal.

You are the flip-side of rabid DUP supporter - and that's not a compliment.

You are very welcome to visit here. But I'm not going to NI during this crisis.

Why are you coming South when obviously NI has so much to offer including cheaper prices according to many on here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭johnire

FYI Fermanagh is on the island of Ireland but is part of the United Kingdom. That’s a fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

Valhallapt wrote: »
    Enniskillen is in Ireland, no need to quarantine when staying in the same country

Part of Great Britain which isn’t on the green list.

The poor OP opened a can o worms, not their fault of course, but honestly if we are told not to travel why would you give your hard earned money to the UK at the present moment. That's just madness.

And for those in NI who talk about visiting ROI, I don't get that, why spend your pounds sterling here as it is SO much more expensive than NI is and there are so many lovely places to see up there, been there got the T shirt and all that. Stunning places to see.

But anyway you are all welcome. The Failte Ireland Chairman resigned today for travelling to Italy lol.

• Advertisement

Part of Great Britain which isn’t on the green list.

NI is part of the UK, It is not part of GB and as per all DFA advice it is always on the Greenlist
    DFA wrote:
    In accordance with Government policy, which is based on official public health advice, the Department of Foreign Affairs continues to advise against non-essential travel overseas. This includes Great Britain but does not apply to Northern Ireland.
    https://www.dfa.ie/travel/travel-advice/a-z-list-of-countries/italy/

The poor OP opened a can o worms, not their fault of course, but honestly if we are told not to travel why would you give your hard earned money to the UK at the present moment. That's just madness.

No you started it with your judgemental mandates.

Blaaz_ wrote: »
    Thousands of people communte to dublin daily from the north

We need a (metaphorical) wall and look after our own.

No you started it with your judgemental mandates.

Your buttons seem to be easy to press. The rest of us just shoot the breeze and get on with it.

We need a (metaphorical) wall and look after our own.

LOL. Indeed.

But for the Shinners and all those whole islanders out there, it's not happening, we are two separate countries. Doh!

I will keep my money away from Rishi Sunak for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,118 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

You are very welcome to visit here. But I'm not going to NI during this crisis.

Why are you coming South when obviously NI has so much to offer including cheaper prices according to many on here?

Because I have seen the majority of it, many of it multiple times.

As do thousands of people from Italy to Switzerland or France. Doesn’t make them the same country.
    Blaaz_ wrote: »
    Thousands of people communte to dublin daily from the north

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,714 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Considered as one island for travel.

Funnily enough it's also considered one island in all the atlases.....

One island but two different countries-The Republic of Ireland and the United Kingdom.
    Beasty wrote: »

• Advertisement

Beasty wrote: »

Means nothing though, just a lump of land. But two different countries. Islands aren’t automatically one country.

Advertisement