Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-19 likely to be man made

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,701 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

NaFirinne wrote: »
    Various scientists have now come out and said that it's very likely that Covid 19 is a man made virus.

Keyword: various. The current consensus among related scientists, experts and virologists is that the virus is natural not man-made

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭NaFirinne

King Mob wrote: »
    But the vast majority of scientists involved in the actually issue don't say this.

Are they all involved in the conspiracy?

Why should we trust random scientists who are disagreeing with the consensus?
    Especial since at least one of them has a profit motive in selling a controversial book?

How about all the "scientists" and "experts" who also claimed that SARS, MERS, Ebola, Zika and AIDS are all man made? Should be believe all of them too?

Well for one, they aren't being silenced.
    And they aren't "questioning things".
    They are making false or unsupported claims. So yes, they should be ridiculed for that. Much like the cranks who claimed the exact same stuff about every other major disease in the last few decades.

These are highly regarded Scientists that are coming out and saying this.

I would say that many scientists would be afraid in this day and age to come out and speak the truth, especially if they are working for a corporation or University which would simply dis hone them and fire them for doing so, or they have their funding cut.

Loosing your job is a big motivator to stay quiet and just get on with what your being told to do.

Just look what is happening to the group of doctors in America that have come out and confirmed that hydroxychloroquine does actually work in combating Covid19.

Also In June Ex-head of MI6 Sir Richard Dearlove says coronavirus 'is man-made' and was 'released by accident' - after seeing 'important' scientific report.

How can you classify these people as being random when they are highly regarded in their field.

Nobel price winning Scientist is not random, President of the world academy if Biomedical sciences is not random. Ex-head of MI6 is not random.

They are brave.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,223 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Nobel price winning Scientist is not random, President of the world academy if Biomedical sciences is not random. Ex-head of MI6 is not random.

They are brave.
    But this is an argument from authority.

Why would a scientist be immune to being wrong just because he has a noble prize?
    What about all the noble prize winners who agree with the consensus?

Could you go back and address my other points please:
    Especial since at least one of them has a profit motive in selling a controversial book?

How about all the "scientists" and "experts" who also claimed that SARS, MERS, Ebola, Zika and AIDS are all man made? Should be believe all of them too?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,701 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

And there are many more highly regarded scientists who aren't stating this. It's important to look at the big picture, consensus is key.

It's easy to fall into a trap of selection bias, e.g. 10 scientists could be saying X, which could naturally lead someone to believe X is true (moreso if it matches that person's preconceived notions or world views)

However if 1000 other scientists are saying Y, that changes the picture entirely

But this is an argument from authority.

Why would a scientist be immune to being wrong just because he has a noble prize?
    What about all the noble prize winners who agree with the consensus?

Could you go back and address my other points please:

Just because he is selling a book doesn't mean he is wrong and what he is saying should be investigated properly and thoroughly.

Likewise to the rest of the claims of viruses being man made. I am not a scientist but if a scientist is claiming man made origins for a virus then he should explain why he has come to that conclusion, giving facts and reason.

If they are making this public then it should be explained in a way the public can understand.

If other scientists are refuting this claim then they should explain how exactly these viruses will come into being from natural means.

I would like openness in getting to the bottom of all these things.

In this day and age with all the warmongering going on in the world it's not outside the realm of possibility that countries can develop bio-weapons in the form of viruses make them look like natural evolving viruses and deploy them on various countries.

Especially when there is global financial gains and power to be made.

• Advertisement

Just because he is selling a book doesn't mean he is wrong and what he is saying should be investigated properly and thoroughly.
    No. It means he has a profit motive for falsifying and exaggerating claims.
    You are accusing the vast majority of scientists of being complicit in a massive conspiracy based purely on a supposed motive.

This seems like a double standard on your part.

Have you read the book? What peer review did it go through? What evidence does it provide?
    Likewise to the rest of the claims of viruses being man made. I am not a scientist but if a scientist is claiming man made origins for a virus then he should explain why he has come to that conclusion, giving facts and reason.
    And other scientists have claimed that SARS, MERS, Zika and AIDs are all man made.
    Do you believe those scientists?
    If they are making this public then it should be explained in a way the public can understand.

If other scientists are refuting this claim then they should explain how exactly these viruses will come into being from natural means.

I would like openness in getting to the bottom of all these things.
    But they already have done this.
    What research have you read and why do you reject it?
    In this day and age with all the warmongering going on in the world it's not outside the realm of possibility that countries can develop bio-weapons in the form of viruses make them look like natural evolving viruses and deploy them on various countries.

Especially when there is global financial gains and power to be made.
    And it's also possible that's it's a natural virus.
    It's more possible because there's tons examples of natural viruses.

You can also make this exact same argument for any disease, so does that mean you also believe AIDs is a man made illness? SARS? MERS?

That's the issue you keep avoiding. Your claim has been made before. It's just a recycling of a decades old conspiracy theory.

I do get the opposite end of the spectrum though.

In March we also have highly regarded scientists from Scripps Research coming out and saying how covid 19 has a natural origin.

I wonder though when they were studying the covid19 strain were they studying the full genome or just part of it.

Here are their articles supporting a natural origin - https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/03/200317175442.htm, https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-not-human-made-in-lab.html

Emme wrote: »
    ............ Now people are being told to wear mask and have not been told to dispose of them in a special biohazard unit................

Why does general waste not suffice? I believe it's incinerated.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    To combat the pandemic

Yes, that's because we are making up some things as we go along. Pandemics aren't new, but the scale/size/type of this particular one in this modern society is fairly unprecedented

Covid19 doesn't care about your freedom, your world views or your political persuasions.
    Why are the media so quick to silence and ridicule people who dare to question these things?
    Sorry but I don't see the connection between this virus and censorship.

• Advertisement

the book was release in Italian just last week. I don't speak italian so I will have to wait for an english translation.

However these are various articles from Italian news sites covering the story.

Ok. You haven't read it and don't know what peer review it went through if any.
    You don't know what verifiable evidence he's supplied if any.

You also have dodged the point about the fact he has a profit motive for lying and exaggerating. I take that to mean you can't address that either.

So we're left with the fact the only reason you have to believe his guy is his authority.

And this leads back to the other points you've dodged.
    Many scientists equally as authoritive as him have claimed that SARS, MERS, Zika, Ebola, AIDs et al are also man made.
    You haven't addressed this point and you haven't said that you believe these people and these conspiracies.
    I will take that to mean that you don't believe them and you realise that such claims are ridiculous.

So rather than chase you down on points you aren't going to address:

Why do you believe the conspiracy theories about Covid-19 when they are exactly the same as the ones about every other major disease in the last few decades?

Ok. You haven't read it and don't know what peer review it went through if any.
    You don't know what verifiable evidence he's supplied if any.

You also have dodged the point about the fact he has a profit motive for lying and exaggerating. I take that to mean you can't address that either.

So we're left with the fact the only reason you have to believe his guy is his authority.

And this leads back to the other points you've dodged.
    Many scientists equally as authoritive as him have claimed that SARS, MERS, Zika, Ebola, AIDs et al are also man made.
    You haven't addressed this point and you haven't said that you believe these people and these conspiracies.
    I will take that to mean that you don't believe them and you realise that such claims are ridiculous.

So rather than chase you down on points you aren't going to address:

Why do you believe the conspiracy theories about Covid-19 when they are exactly the same as the ones about every other major disease in the last few decades?

I haven't dodged the questions. I believe that his claims should be openly reviewed and investigated. He is not someone that you can ignore. the man is very successful and I don't believe that financial gain is behind his motives, especially when you compare the astronomical financial gain there is in developing vaccines for the virus.

Also we have never had a vaccine before that has had such a global impact that it's caused governments to basically remove peoples freedoms and impose dictatorial directives on people on such a global scale the effects of which will be far more devastating then the actual virus itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I would say that many scientists would be afraid in this day and age to come out and speak the truth, especially if they are working for a corporation or University which would simply dis hone them and fire them for doing so, or they have their funding cut.

Loosing your job is a big motivator to stay quiet and just get on with what your being told to do.

Just look what is happening to the group of doctors in America that have come out and confirmed that hydroxychloroquine does actually work in combating Covid19.

Also In June Ex-head of MI6 Sir Richard Dearlove says coronavirus 'is man-made' and was 'released by accident' - after seeing 'important' scientific report.

How can you classify these people as being random when they are highly regarded in their field.

They are brave.

FYP
    Just look what is happening to the group of doctors in America that have come out and alleged that hydroxychloroquine does actually work in combating Covid19....... Lead by a scientist that believes that scientists are developing a vaccine to make people not religious and that witches and demons have sex with people in their dreams. When Facebook took down her claims as being against their misinformation policies she stated that Jesus Christ would take down their servers. Who believes in the healing power of prayer.

Now I have no problems with people's beliefs but it has no place in the scientific method.

Lead by scientists who, as others have said, have a vested financial interest in promoting these viewpoints.

There would always be some dissenting voices and this can be healthy. Actual debate comparing and reviewing verifiable data is an important part of the scientific process. But when the dissenting voices are driven by religious/political beliefs (Those scientists are being sponsored by the right-wing Tea Party wing of the Republican Party) or by profit then their motives are suspect.

These people are not brave, they are being driven not by science but by religious/political beliefs and profit.

I haven't dodged the questions.

But you have. You haven't addressed them at all. Not sure why you are pretending otherwise.
    I believe that his claims should be openly reviewed and investigated. He is not someone that you can ignore. the man is very successful and I don't believe that financial gain is behind his motives, especially when you compare the astronomical financial gain there is in developing vaccines for the virus.
    But h'es publishing a book about his claims. That's financial motive.
    Therefore, by your logic his claims should be completely suspect. But because you agree with his claims, you are applying a double standard.

Why should he claims be reviewed?
    Because of his authority?

Should the claims about SARS. MERS and AIDs etc also be reviewed and assumed to be vast conspiracies too?
    This is the point you keep dodging.
    aused governments to basically remove peoples freedoms and impose dictatorial directives on people on such a global scale the effects of which will be far more devastating then the actual virus itself.
    Lol.
    That's very silly and hyperbolic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Augeo wrote: »
    Why does general waste not suffice? I believe it's incinerated.

If I can't walk into a shop without a mask for fear of infecting anybody why can I take my mask off and put it into an ordinary bin? If I exhale Covid-19 particles into the inside of the mask do they suddenly stop being virulent once I take off the mask?

Also people are not being instructed in the correct way to put on and dispose of a surgical mask. Anyone who works with patients in a hospital is taught this and used masks in a hospital setting are considered to be clinical waste. Clinical waste in hospitals and laboratories has to go into special biohazard bins. That includes used wound dressings, swabs from patients and in laboratories any waste deemed hazardous.

I would have thought that used facemasks and gloves worn to prevent Covid-19 were hazardous waste. If they are put into ordinary bins they might eventually get incinerated but not straight away. I put my used masks into a plastic bag which I tie shut (like a doggie poo bag) and burn them when I get home. Yes, burning-plastic-bad-make-Greta-cry, but which is more hazardous, burnt plastic fumes or hazardous waste from a virus we are told is deadly enough to justify shutting down the global economy for months.

There are used facemasks thrown indiscriminately everywhere. It is difficult not to walk on one as you make you way (masked of course) about your business in any village, town or city. If the pandemic is as bad as we are being told this is spreading infection and will ensure lockdowns don't end any time soon.

If I can't walk into a shop without a mask for fear of infecting anybody why can I take my mask off and put it into an ordinary bin? If I exhale Covid-19 particles into the inside of the mask do they suddenly stop being virulent once I take off the mask?
    Because you don't spend a lot of time eating things from the bin I imagine.

What do you believe is the real explanation here since you've already figured out the governments sneaky lie?
    That the masks are actually spreading the virus more so governments can keep the lockdown going more?

That's very silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Because you don't spend a lot of time eating things from the bin I imagine.

The virus is airborne. Nobody has to eat anything from the bin for the virus to be spread after somebody puts a used facemask in there.
    What do you believe is the real explanation here since you've already figured out the governments sneaky lie?

I did not state anywhere (i) that the governments are telling lies; (ii) that I think or know otherwise.
    That the masks are actually spreading the virus more so governments can keep the lockdown going more?

That's very silly.

Why is it silly? If used masks are thrown everywhere this can spread infection, more people may continue to get sick so lockdowns might have to continue.

I did not suggest anywhere that there was a government plot to get people to throw used masks around to spread the virus and make more people sick. Where did you get that idea? I did make a reasonable suggestion that used facemasks be disposed of in a safe way in proper biohazard bins to prevent the spread of infection.

The virus is airborne. Nobody has to eat anything from the bin for the virus to be spread after somebody puts a used facemask in there.
    It's airbourne because it's being expelled from people. Hence why a mask helps lower it's spread.

How do you propose this happens from a bin?
    Why is it silly?
    Why is it silly to suggest the government are tricking people into extending the lockdowns by telling them incorrect information?
    I made a reasonable suggestion that used facemasks be disposed of in a safe way in proper biohazard bins to prevent the spread of infection.
    And this is based on your PhD research? Or was it a paper you wrote in a scientific journal?

But you have. You haven't addressed them at all. Not sure why you are pretending otherwise.

But h'es publishing a book about his claims. That's financial motive.
    Therefore, by your logic his claims should be completely suspect. But because you agree with his claims, you are applying a double standard.

Why should he claims be reviewed?
    Because of his authority?

Should the claims about SARS. MERS and AIDs etc also be reviewed and assumed to be vast conspiracies too?
    This is the point you keep dodging.

Lol.
    That's very silly and hyperbolic.

From my point of view, while publishing a book may have some financial gain. This would be no where near the financial loss the man would occur if what he was saying he could not back up. He would loss all reputation and as a result his career. I can't see how this is done for financial gain. Especially since the book is currently in Italian it's not going to have a very large demographic of people reading or buying it.

What finacial gain does an ex-head of MI6 have? What financial gain does Luc Montagnier have?

His Claims should be reviewed precisely because of his reputation and he is the President of the World academy of Biomedical Sciences and Technologies. He didn't get there by being a crack pot scientist.

From my point of view, while publishing a book may have some financial gain. This would be no where near the financial loss the man would occur if what he was saying he could not back up. He would loss all reputation and as a result his career. I can't see how this is done for financial gain. Especially since the book is currently in Italian it's not going to have a very large demographic of people reading or buying it.
    But he still has financial incentive which you are ignoring entirely because you want to believe his claims.
    It's a double standard.

You "can't see how" because you're pretending he doesn't have a motive.
    What finacial gain does an ex-head of MI6 have? What financial gain does Luc Montagnier have?
    Dunno. Never said they had a financial motive. They could be wrong for a great number of reasons.
    His Claims should be reviewed precisely because of his reputation and he is the President of the World academy of Biomedical Sciences and Technologies. He didn't get there by being a crack pot scientist.
    But that's an argument from authority. As you've admitted, you don't know what evidence he's produced, if any at all.

And again, you're still ignoring the other point.
    Other "experts" with the same level of authority claim all sorts of wrong and wacky stuff.
    "Experts" claimed that SARS was man made.
    The same was said of MERS, Zika, Ebola, AIDS...

Do you believe all of those are man made?

I don't think you do, hence why you keep dodging the point.

You know those claims were crap and the authority of the experts who promote those claims isn't very convincing.

• Advertisement

FYP
    Just look what is happening to the group of doctors in America that have come out and alleged that hydroxychloroquine does actually work in combating Covid19....... Lead by a scientist that believes that scientists are developing a vaccine to make people not religious and that witches and demons have sex with people in their dreams. When Facebook took down her claims as being against their misinformation policies she stated that Jesus Christ would take down their servers. Who believes in the healing power of prayer.

Now I have no problems with people's beliefs but it has no place in the scientific method.

Lead by scientists who, as others have said, have a vested financial interest in promoting these viewpoints.

There would always be some dissenting voices and this can be healthy. Actual debate comparing and reviewing verifiable data is an important part of the scientific process. But when the dissenting voices are driven by religious/political beliefs (Those scientists are being sponsored by the right-wing Tea Party wing of the Republican Party) or by profit then their motives are suspect.

These people are not brave, they are being driven not by science but by religious/political beliefs and profit.

Yes ruin the reputation of a doctor just so you don't have to listen to what they actually have to say and personal testimony they are giving.

Also it's very likely that the vaccine they will give is a RNA vaccine. Which sounds to me that it basically alters your DNA. We don't really know what repercussions that will happen in the long term by altering Human genetic make up.

From a religious or christian point of view this is the start of genetically engineering humans, which would be changing us from what God the creator would have intended us to be.

I personally prefer Organic Foods over genetically modified foods and certainly will be very cautions when taking something that can alter me in such a way.

Here as some details about those doctors. I really can't see any financial motive behind their actions.

Simone Gold, MD - Emergency Medicine Specialist in Los Angeles, CA and has over 31 years of experience in the medical field. She graduated from Rosalind Franklin University Of Medicine Science/The Chicago Medical School medical school in 1989. She is affiliated with Centinela Hospital Medical Center.

Dr. Bob Hamilton - pediatrician from Santa Monica, California. Medical School UCLA Geffen School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA. Internship UCLA Geffen School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA. Residency UCLA Geffen School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA.

Dr. Stella Emmaneul - primary care doctor in Houston, Tx. Went to medical school in West Africa, Nigeria. Has practiced in Louisiana and now resides in Texas where she has treated more than 350 Covid patients.

Dr. Dan Erickson, DO - Emergency Medicine Specialist in Bakersfield, CA and has over 16 years of experience in the medical field. He graduated from Western Univ Of Health Sciences/College Of Osteopathic Medicine Of The Pacific, Western University Of Health Sciences medical school in 2004. (While both degrees mean your doctor is a licensed physician, their training differs slightly, and each has a unique perspective on care. “An M.D. follows an allopathic medical training path, whereas a D.O. follows osteopathic,”)

Dr. James Todaro, MD - a Ophthalmology Specialist received his medical degree from Columbia University, Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons in NY, and completed his surgical training with four additional years of residency in ophthalmology.

Dr. Joe Ladapo MD, PhD - Physician at UCLA and clinical researcher. Internal Medicine, American Board of Internal Medicine, 2011.

Residency Internal Medicine, Beth Israel Deaconess Med Ctr-East Campus, 2009-2011.

Internship Internal Medicine, Beth Israel Deaconess Med Ctr-East Campus, 2008-2009. Degree Harvard Medical School, MD, 2008 Harvard University Grad. School of Arts, Sciences, PhD, 2008.

But he still has financial incentive which you are ignoring entirely because you want to believe his claims.
    It's a double standard.

Dunno. Never said they had a financial motive. They could be wrong for a great number of reasons.

But that's an argument from authority. As you've admitted, you don't know what evidence he's produced, if any at all.

Other "experts" with the same level of authority claim all sorts of wrong and wacky stuff.

You know those claims were crap and the authority of the experts who promote those claims isn't very convincing.

I'm not a scientist so I don't know if all those viruses were man made or not.

But I would like a very open inquiry into them all.

Are you saying that it's not possible that these viruses are man made and all have come about by totally natural means?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,381 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

He also links the Wuhan Lab to France and the US as they both provided financial and scientific aid to the Chinese as they conducted more dangerous bio engineering experiments.

The US and China were collaborating together on bio-weapons research???
    Who were they going to attack, Russia? The Centauri Republic?
    The politics of this is fantasy stuff.
    Suggests the science is also.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,381 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Simone Gold, MD - Emergency Medicine Specialist in Los Angeles, CA and has over 31 years of experience in the medical field. She graduated from Rosalind Franklin University Of Medicine Science/The Chicago Medical School medical school in 1989. She is affiliated with Centinela Hospital Medical Center.
    Dr. Bob Hamilton - pediatrician from Santa Monica, California. Medical School UCLA Geffen School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA. Internship UCLA Geffen School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA. Residency UCLA Geffen School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA.
    Dr. Stella Emmaneul - primary care doctor in Houston, Tx. Went to medical school in West Africa, Nigeria. Has practiced in Louisiana and now resides in Texas where she has treated more than 350 Covid patients.
    Dr. Dan Erickson, DO - Emergency Medicine Specialist in Bakersfield, CA and has over 16 years of experience in the medical field. He graduated from Western Univ Of Health Sciences/College Of Osteopathic Medicine Of The Pacific, Western University Of Health Sciences medical school in 2004. (While both degrees mean your doctor is a licensed physician, their training differs slightly, and each has a unique perspective on care. “An M.D. follows an allopathic medical training path, whereas a D.O. follows osteopathic,”)
    Dr. James Todaro, MD - a Ophthalmology Specialist received his medical degree from Columbia University, Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons in NY, and completed his surgical training with four additional years of residency in ophthalmology.
    Dr. Joe Ladapo MD, PhD - Physician at UCLA and clinical researcher. Internal Medicine, American Board of Internal Medicine, 2011.
    Residency Internal Medicine, Beth Israel Deaconess Med Ctr-East Campus, 2009-2011.
    Internship Internal Medicine, Beth Israel Deaconess Med Ctr-East Campus, 2008-2009. Degree Harvard Medical School, MD, 2008 Harvard University Grad. School of Arts, Sciences, PhD, 2008.

I'm not seeing any experts in the origins of infectious diseases.
    Ophthalmology Specialist?
    Osteopath?

I'm sure most of them are grand in an ER ward but this is a different question entirely.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Are you saying that it's not possible that these viruses are man made and all have come about by totally natural means?

What's the motive?
    Who will benefit?
    What's to be gained by killing a few million, mainly elderly people worldwide?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,792 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

The demon sperm doctor?

Dodging questions again...
    According to most scientists and the overwhelming majority of scientific research has concluded that it is not man made.
    There has been.
    You just don't accept the scientific method because it doesn't support your belief.
    I have not seen any convincing evidence to that effect. For the most part I've just seen bad arguments like the one you presented which relies on an appeal to authority.

It's a bit weird that you're asking me a question when you've dodged so many of mine.

It's a double standard.

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    What's the motive?
    Who will benefit?
    What's to be gained by killing a few million, mainly elderly people worldwide?

Motive - they are plenty - Financial gain for people not collecting their pensions?

The excuse to completely lock down the world and implement any dictatorial style laws to their liking?
    The huge financial gain of selling vaccines.
    The transfer of all wealth to the few.

Dodging questions again...

According to most scientists and the overwhelming majority of scientific research has concluded that it is not man made.

There has been.
    You just don't accept the scientific method because it doesn't support your belief.

I have not seen any convincing evidence to that effect. For the most part I've just seen bad arguments like the one you presented which relies on an appeal to authority.

It's a bit weird that you're asking me a question when you've dodged so many of mine.

I am not dodging the questions, I am answering them. Your just using that as an excuse not to answer mine.

• Advertisement

I am not dodging the questions, I am answering them. Your just using that as an excuse not to answer mine.
    No, you're dodging.
    I asked you to explain which diseases were man made. You didn't answer.
    I asked you whether we should believe the experts who claimed all those diseases were man made. You didn't answer.
    I asked you about how your conspiracy theory about covid is different from the conspiracy theories about other diseases. You didn't answer.

Meanwhile I directly answered your question in detail and in full. But now you're lying and saying I didn't.:confused:

You're being very dishonest.

Advertisement