Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The one and only refund thread [READ MOD NOTE BEFORE POSTING]!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭jasonb

jasonb wrote: »
    I got the letter from PTSB today as to why Air Canada disputed the Chargeback.

Basically Air Canada say that I accepted their terms and conditions, which included the fact that the tickets are non-refundable, so therefore no-refund.

My understanding about non-refundable tickets is that if *I* cancel a flight, I don't get a refund, but if they cancel it, I should get one, but maybe I'm wrong?

I've 10 days left to escalate the dispute, not sure where I stand and what my rights are.

Still waiting to hear back from the travel insurance too.

Anyone got any advice on this, should I escalate the dispute or is 'non-refundable tickets' a valid reason?

Thanks...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Lima Golf wrote: »
    I got a refund yesterday from Aerlingus for flights on 8th May. Had applied for the refund right away after the flights were cancelled and didn't contact them again, just waited. Just FYI for anyone waiting from around the same time.

Same as that, Aer Lingus flights in late April/early May were cancelled, I applied for refunds late March and got them in the last two weeks or so.

Separate refunds as I'd booked the flights about two weeks apart, so it looks like they are working through them chronologically.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

probably for a different thread, but...

anyone rebooking for next year?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

probably for a different thread, but...

anyone rebooking for next year?

Hell no! I’ll be holding tight and if travel etc possible will probably just use someone like TUI if they survive. That way if lockdowns etc happen they’ll just deal with it all.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

In saying that I’ll likely have a rake of AL vouchers but at least they are for five years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Anyone got any advice on this, should I escalate the dispute or is 'non-refundable tickets' a valid reason?

Thanks...

You should definitely escalate, should be covered under Regulation Eu261

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭BArra

BArra wrote: »
    got chargeback completed today via revolut for ryainair flights

took 106 days from chargeback initiation

so after revolut finally issuing the chargeback, i get an email from revolut saying:

"Following a preliminary review of your dispute request submitted on 2020-04-20, we have provisionally credited your account for the following transaction(s):

You will have full use of this credit until your claim is resolved. In the event that the outcome is not favourable to you, we will have to revert the credit.
    Thank you for your patience throughout this process. We will keep you updated every step of the way.
    The Revolut Team"

how can the outcome be not favourable to me? Ryanair had 106 days to come back to Revolut to dispute my version of events?

BArra wrote: »
    so after revolut finally issuing the chargeback, i get an email from revolut saying:

"Following a preliminary review of your dispute request submitted on 2020-04-20, we have provisionally credited your account for the following transaction(s):

You will have full use of this credit until your claim is resolved. In the event that the outcome is not favourable to you, we will have to revert the credit.
    Thank you for your patience throughout this process. We will keep you updated every step of the way.
    The Revolut Team"

how can the outcome be not favourable to me? Ryanair had 106 days to come back to Revolut to dispute my version of events?

It might be different for Revolut, but my understanding of Chargeback is the Bank have a look at your dispute, if they think it's valid they give you the money, and then they go to the Airline to get their side. If the Airline accepts you keep the money, if they don't then you lose the money again and can choose to escalate it.

It sounds like Revolut took 106 days to decide for themselves that you had a case, and then gave you the money back and are now finally contacting Ryanair?

You should definitely escalate, should be covered under Regulation Eu261

Does it matter under Eu261 whether the tickets were non-refundable or not?

Thanks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭The Unbearables

Just as an aside for people I checked my spam inbox today and Ryanair had sent a link in an email for a refund that is due to me from April so be careful if people are waiting on that. To compound matters its not recognising my booking reference number surprise surprise so they are attempting to pull all types of tricks to not refund if possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

I used a Ryanair gift card/voucher to purchase flights last October 2019. Due to fly in April 2020. Half of cost was gift card and half of cost was by credit card.

Flight cancelled. Gift Card expiry date June 2020.

August 2020 and Ryanair say that I can now redeem this now out of date gift card again. No other information provided.....expiry date etc.

I just want a cash refund for my cancelled flights.

Can Ryanair force me to redeem (whatever that means) a gift card that was spent last October 2019 and expired in June 2020?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Eoin3

September Aer Lingus flight to the US from Shannon has been cancelled (though I don't think they actually use this word in their correspondence), and instead we've been "rebooked for our convenience" on a flight from Dublin on the same day, two hour time difference.

Does the origin airport change make one eligible for a refund? I've read through the regulation and don't see much detail in relation to airports changing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

Is anyone else having trouble changing flights with Ryanair? I've selected new dates and specific times, everything proper, but the "Continue" button on "select new fare" is grayed out...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Does it matter under Eu261 whether the tickets were non-refundable or not?

Thanks...

Not at all - non refundable purely means if you change your mind and want your money back. Any change or cancellation by the airline is covered by EU261 no matter what the type of ticket you have

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭StreetLight

The_Brood wrote: »
    Is anyone else having trouble changing flights with Ryanair? I've selected new dates and specific times, everything proper, but the "Continue" button on "select new fare" is grayed out...

It won't work if you have already checked in on that flight. You'll need to contact Customer Service to get them to uncheck it. Then you can go ahead and change your flight.

Not at all - non refundable purely means if you change your mind and want your money back. Any change or cancellation by the airline is covered by EU261 no matter what the type of ticket you have

Thanks a lot, letter back on its way to PTSB asking them to continue the dispute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Hey, hoping someone may be able give some advice. I had a flight with Ryanair and it got cancelled and they put me on another flight. The flight they gave doesn't suit me and I want to change it to another date. I don't want a refund. Do they have to oblige me this? My flight was supposed to be Tuesday 15th August and changed it to Thursday 17th August. That leaves my trip very short and I'd rather go on the flight on Saturday 12th August. TIA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭samo

Eoin3 wrote: »
    September Aer Lingus flight to the US from Shannon has been cancelled (though I don't think they actually use this word in their correspondence), and instead we've been "rebooked for our convenience" on a flight from Dublin on the same day, two hour time difference.

Does the origin airport change make one eligible for a refund? I've read through the regulation and don't see much detail in relation to airports changing.

Similar situation: DUB-EWR on sept 2nd finally switched to DUB-JFK with a 2.5 hour time difference. When I rang yesterday I got a refund (though told will take a few weeks!) as it’s a change of schedule / airport so imagine same applies for your case.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭turniton

Hi everyone, just a quick question. My flight was on the 8 th April. I cancelled my flight end March 2020, following link. I was told "money back" but they sent a voucher. I never acceptet it and it said it would take "several weeks/months" to process cash refunds. I still haven't received anything. Is this normal or is there anything else I should be doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

turniton wrote: »
    Hi everyone, just a quick question. My flight was on the 8 th April. I cancelled my flight end March 2020, following link. I was told "money back" but they sent a voucher. I never acceptet it and it said it would take "several weeks/months" to process cash refunds. I still haven't received anything. Is this normal or is there anything else I should be doing?

Is this with Ryanair or Aerlingus?

I've been refunded for both mine now

Aerlingus flight on June 24th. Cancelled June 2rd, refund info account June 8th.
    Ryanair flight July 8th. Cancelled may 20th. Refund into account this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭strathspey

Hi, I've a bit of a strange one. We were to be flying out of Dublin to Lisbon on Portuguese airlines (TAP) on the 5 August. They rescheduled by more than 4 hours and I requested a refund and am still waiting. However, we were booked on the return with Ryanair on 15 August and this flight looks to be going ahead. Considering that I live in County Kildare which has been placed under government imposed lockdown with theoretically no way of getting to the airport and back, would I have any chance in claiming a refund for this Ryanair flight?

strathspey wrote: »
    Hi, I've a bit of a strange one. We were to be flying out of Dublin to Lisbon on Portuguese airlines (TAP) on the 5 August. They rescheduled by more than 4 hours and I requested a refund and am still waiting. However, we were booked on the return with Ryanair on 15 August and this flight looks to be going ahead. Considering that I live in County Kildare which has been placed under government imposed lockdown with theoretically no way of getting to the airport and back, would I have any chance in claiming a refund for this Ryanair flight?

I'm afraid I don't know the actual rules covering this, but considering the Govt is still saying no non-essential travel, and now saying don't leave Kildare, and you've no way of actually getting to Portugal, common sense says you have enough reasons for a refund. And that's not even including any restrictions they might have in Portugal, are they allowing tourists? Of course, common sense doesn't always win.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,011 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

turniton wrote: »

You need to contact them to reject the voucher and get them to put you on the refund list.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I used a Ryanair gift card/voucher to purchase flights last October 2019. Due to fly in April 2020. Half of cost was gift card and half of cost was by credit card.

Flight cancelled. Gift Card expiry date June 2020.

August 2020 and Ryanair say that I can now redeem this now out of date gift card again. No other information provided.....expiry date etc.

I just want a cash refund for my cancelled flights.

Can Ryanair force me to redeem (whatever that means) a gift card that was spent last October 2019 and expired in June 2020?

Sort of similar position here, I purchased a flight with a voucher and the flight was cancelled, voucher refunded today but like yourself no details on whether the expiry has been extended. It's due to be up in October so 99% sure I won't be using it by then, would like an extension! On top of that I have another unused voucher also due to expire in October :( (Big birthday last year, lots of voucher gifts!)

I have contacted them for clarification so if I get anything back I'll report here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

I got my chargeback from ryanair today via Revolut. I had actually forgot about it and used the voucher they gave in the end to travel a few weeks ago.

Feel a bit bad but it is what it is. Fair play to Revolut that's two different chargebacks I have done and they have been great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

ASOT wrote: »
    I got my chargeback from ryanair today via Revolut. I had actually forgot about it and used the voucher they gave in the end to travel a few weeks ago.

Feel a bit bad but it is what it is. Fair play to Revolut that's two different chargebacks I have done and they have been great.

Just be aware Revolut can take that money back off you now if Ryanair spot youve double dipped and taken the money and used the voucher

• Registered Users Posts: 10,011 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Caranica wrote: »
    Update, got connected to chat in 30 minutes this morning. The refund application was successfully registered but they can't give me a timeline. The flights will be deleted from my bookings closer to the time.

Just got a bloody voucher email :mad: Thought they'd stopped that bs. Will chat to them first thing in the morning, not wasting my time in a queue now.

I was on chat waiting 7 hours yesterday, did not get through to agents. 9 and 1/2 hours today waiting, still nothing. How in the world are other people getting through?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭balliali

Ok, so I had return flights booked using an Ulster Bank debit card for 1st to 4th May to France with Ryanair. The flight was cancelled so I responded to all their correspondence that I wanted a refund. That was in late April, and literally heard nothing since. I (foolishly) believed them when they promised that everyone would receive a refund by the end of July....but needless to say there was no refund, nothing at all from "Lyin"air....
    I started a "chargeback" process with Ulster Bank (the forms are available online) on the August bank holiday weekend (they sent an email on Tuesday 4th August to say that they were dealing with my request). I got an email from Ulster Bank on the following Monday 10th August to say that they were paying the money back into my account. To say I'm delighted is an understatement - in the scale of things it wasn't a huge lot of money, but the hassle from Ryanair was annoying.
    My advice to everyone is to go back to your flight booking paperwork, apply for the chargeback (you need the flight details etc, and don't forget to include the return leg of the flight), and it was a very simple process. Well done Ulster Bank!

• Advertisement

What in the blue hell. After all this time I finally get through to ryanair, I finally get them to uncheck me.....but the only option they provide is not a refund but to change flights for later in the year. But they want 130 euros as a change flight fee?! That's absurd. Have to talk to them all over again.

Advertisement