Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Covid 19 Part XX-26,644 in ROI (1,772 deaths) 6,064 in NI (556 deaths) (08/08)Read OP

Options
1328329330331332334»

Comments

rusty cole wrote: »
    Of 1772, Almost 50% of them had chronic hear disease! Guess how many die in Ireland of chronic heart disease 5000. there's tons of stats one can play with.
    Bottom line How many are now in hospital and how many are in ICU today? that's what needs to be shown. showing median and mean ages for young offenders is just finger pointing. we we always told to flatten the curve and it's flat according to martin himself in his speech. So now we;re closing counties for single figure digits n hospitals? last I looked it went from 6 up to 14 and then back to 9.

What's it at present?

Any idea how many people live for multiple years with chronic heart disease?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Patd6 wrote: »
    We likely have 100 cases tops that died of corona. And all in the older susceptible age group. X amount that died in car crashs that were labelled corona. X amount that died of other illness but labelled corona. All to bulk up the figures and vindicate the lockdown. These meat factories clusters are not actually happening. It's media spin. Pubs should open right away, I'm furious

Looking forward to you backing up some of those wild claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,002 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

seanb85 wrote: »
    You categorically stated our death toll was overestimated.

It might be, but the report you based that on was a very basic look at excess mortality with figures taken from a private website and was in no way a conclusive study.

Can you agree with the way deaths are reported there is a strong possibility that there have been cases of deaths that have been reported as covid when it wasn't the cause of death.

Lockdown was a bigger success than we thought

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

It might be, but the report you based that on was a very basic look at excess mortality with figures taken from a private website and was in no way a conclusive study.

By definition reporting suspected deaths with no positive test for Covid can only lead to over counting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,632 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

I think I'm going to trust our health standards organisation :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭seanb85

niallo27 wrote: »
    Can you agree with the way deaths are reported there is a strong possibility that there have been cases of deaths that have been reported as covid when it wasn't the cause of death.

Cause of death in elderly people is not always clear cut when a range of factors may be at play, it is very possible a number of Covid deaths would have occurred in any event. The disease being present however almost certainly accelerated the inevitable.

I'm worried this discussion has become quite callous though so I'll leave it there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Those numbers strike me as rather unusual. Macedonia has had a similar enough number of cases and deaths as us, and although they are going through their peak now it’s still only 150 per day in a country of 2million. If you assume average 2 weeks from Infection to resolution, that’s about 2,000 active cases or current rate idled 1/1000. Yet 24 people out 157 tested positive on that flight. Unless there was a sports team or tour group it would be statistically very unlikely for 24 cases to make it on to that flight at the same time even if they are only detecting 10% of cases in the country.

You are assuming homogeneity in the sample size and the population.
    You are also assuming they are testing everyone that has it and the rate reflects
    the true prevalence in the population.
    BERGAMO VS ITALY
    Kildare vs Donegal for example.

Have we carried out any "random" PCR testing at airports or of the population in general and controlled for various factors?

I think this is really needed to get a grip on this before it gets out of control.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,287 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Here endeth the 20th edition

No 21 here

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement