Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭mf240

1ft wall the length of the tank with a gap left at either end for slurry to move around
    Outside slats sit on the outside wall and 1ft or so on the internal wall at the corner.
    That's the way the last tank is done.

Fall on the shed it's going in so itll be 9ft one end and 7.5ft the other

The last tank I did was a double and I wanted to do that with the wall but the contractor said get the beams . I'd of been happy with it the way you have it .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

mf240 wrote: »
    The last tank I did was a double and I wanted to do that with the wall but the contractor said get the beams . I'd of been happy with it the way you have it .

The only issue I have is that the cubicle passages come into one side of the tank and the solids tend to stay that side.
    Can be hard get moving but we've managed so far

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭straight

Is there any of ye joining the DNA calf reg program?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

1ft wall the length of the tank with a gap left at either end for slurry to move around
    Outside slats sit on the outside wall and 1ft or so on the internal wall at the corner.
    That's the way the last tank is done.

Fall on the shed it's going in so itll be 9ft one end and 7.5ft the other

So in terms of capacity the tank will be 7.5ft deep. Is it totally unpractical to level up the shed at all? Dig down 9inchs at one side and rise up 9inchs the other?

Timmaay wrote: »
    So in terms of capacity the tank will be 7.5ft deep. Is it totally unpractical to level up the shed at all? Dig down 9inchs at one side and rise up 9inchs the other?

No, cubicles in the shed and feeder barrier at om side.
    Itll be an 8ft tank on average

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

No, cubicles in the shed and feeder barrier at om side.
    Itll be an 8ft tank on average

Hmmm, but once the slurry level reaches 7.5ft won't it start flowing out the low side??

Timmaay wrote: »
    Hmmm, but once the slurry level reaches 7.5ft won't it start flowing out the low side??

Floor of tank is slopped to allow for that

It will flow out or try lift the slats at the low end if slats are lower at one end.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,368 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

It will flow out or try lift the slats at the low end if slats are lower at one end.

Esp when being agitated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

I'm confused..... whatever the depth of the tank is at the lower end is the depth of the tank. Slurry will never be within 18" of the slat at the upper end unless as others have said it's trying to lift the slats at the lower end.

Also, are you going to put cubicles on the slats? 20' plus whatever the backfill apron, say 10', behind a feeding barrier is way too much IMO. Cows will be inclined to be lying on the slats i think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

I assume deeper part of tank is at the lower end of shed so will have 8 ft of capacity but it will still be that side to watch for when nearing full?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,085 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I presume he means it's the floor of the tank is sloped not the top of the tank where the slats are?

I've never seen a tank sloped top or bottom but sure I got the kildavin lads to do mine. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,110 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I have a tank sloped at the bottom. Never a problem tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭K9

Think of a swimming pool with a shallow end and a deep end. Water stays in the pool

Ya once the top is level it wont make any difference if the floor is up or down. Maybe that's what gg meant.

Obviously youd need to be able to suck from the low end or you wont be able to empty it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Ya once the top is level it wont make any difference if the floor is up or down. Maybe that's what gg meant.

Obviously youd need to be able to suck from the low end or you wont be able to empty it.

Ah lads of course the fall is on the top of the tank, why would you put a fall in the floor if you can keep the top level! He is trying to match up the slats with two different levels at each end of tank hence the fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    Ah lads of course the fall is on the top of the tank, why would you put a fall in the floor if you can keep the top level! He is trying to match up the slats with two different levels at each end of tank hence the fall.

Obviously not the engineering forum! :D

On another similar building related note has anyone ever heard of putting cows on cubicle beds without the cubicles initially. Putting extra cow accommodation into a loose shed and would be milking off it. Budget tight and wondering was it's an option.
    3-4" slope on beds and bedding with chopped straw. Would be wary of going loose house for milking cows plus straw looks like being dear in the west.
    Actually asking for a friend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

On the Chlorine disinfection changes coming into force, it looks like Kerry (and Delaval?) are only changing over the bulk tank disinfection to chlorine free as the chlorine wash in the tank is supposed to be the biggest cause of chlorine in products.

So it seems we can still use normal wash routines with chlorine in the milking machine but not in the tank.

And our local Delaval dealer doesn't seem to be stocking any chlorine free detergents other than the liquid for tank washes.

Current Lyons notes, they haven't been out for a few weeks now.
    https://www.ucd.ie/agfood/about/lyonsresearchfarm/systemsresearchherd-weeklynotes/

I'm confused..... whatever the depth of the tank is at the lower end is the depth of the tank. Slurry will never be within 18" of the slat at the upper end unless as others have said it's trying to lift the slats at the lower end.

Also, are you going to put cubicles on the slats? 20' plus whatever the backfill apron, say 10', behind a feeding barrier is way too much IMO. Cows will be inclined to be lying on the slats i think

I'm probably not explaining it great but the floor of the tank will be falling the opposite way that than the fall of the shed so itll fill up with the fall of the shed and shouldn't flow out.
    A neighbour on the side of a hill has it done the same way.

This will give us 16 week storage in the home yard which we havent had for a while, we can still draw it to a rented tank if needed but it should get us to the opening date without having to move that slurry

On the cows lying in the passage, it's that size already and we only have 1 cow that lies on it and she'll be going this year, none of our cows were ever in a cubicle until 2018 and majority took after a week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭degetme

On the Chlorine disinfection changes coming into force, it looks like Kerry (and Delaval?) are only changing over the bulk tank disinfection to chlorine free as the chlorine wash in the tank is supposed to be the biggest cause of chlorine in products.

So it seems we can still use normal wash routines with chlorine in the milking machine but not in the tank.

And our local Delaval dealer doesn't seem to be stocking any chlorine free detergents other than the liquid for tank washes.

Where did you see/hear about not having to use chlorine free in the milking machine??

degetme wrote: »
    Where did you see/hear about not having to use chlorine free in the milking machine??

Talking to the local manager. And if you look at the messages they send out, it only says milk tank, no mention of the milking machine that I can see in the last few circulars anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭degetme

Talking to the local manager. And if you look at the messages they send out, it only says milk tank, no mention of the milking machine that I can see in the last few circulars anyway.

Well I'm in limerick and we were told to change the bulk tank by the end of june and was talking to the local milk manager and were to be chlorine free in the milking machine next January

degetme wrote: »
    Well I'm in limerick and we were told to change the bulk tank by the end of june and was talking to the local milk manager and were to be chlorine free in the milking machine next January

We've heard nothing about the milking machine yet. The local Delaval dealer doesn't even have a non liquid non chlorine detergent. They only have liquids for tanks and auto washers on milking machines.

The last message we got on the app.
    RtS2RCK.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Switched the heifers and calves on to leader / follower the last 3 week's. Heifers giving out getting the leftovers, even tho there would still be a fair bit in the paddocks. Ran out of ration for the calves and there was a delay in the delivery coming but they nearly look better even tho they were off it, tempted to see for the next few weeks how they'd go when heifers will be cleaning after em. Must get the weigh scales for the next time they are near the yard. Wpuld most of ye have them off ration at this stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Mooooo wrote: »
    Switched the heifers and calves on to leader / follower the last 3 week's. Heifers giving out getting the leftovers, even tho there would still be a fair bit in the paddocks. Ran out of ration for the calves and there was a delay in the delivery coming but they nearly look better even tho they were off it, tempted to see for the next few weeks how they'd go when heifers will be cleaning after em. Must get the weigh scales for the next time they are near the yard. Wpuld most of ye have them off ration at this stage?

Yeah here anyway, always find leader follower works a treat but it depends on numbers and set up. I'd usually go 4-6 days ahead, skipping a few blocks so that the followers aren't always cleaning up.

Cut a few acres for bales yesterday. 5 acres of grazing gone too strong threw up 29 bales after 27 days since grazing, 12.5 acres of second cut, 152 bales 9 weeks after cutting and about 7.5 weeks after fertiliser.

And growth of 95, demand of 65 for the last 4 days.

I'm starting to run out of space to put bales at this stage:o

Cut a few acres for bales yesterday. 5 acres of grazing gone too strong threw up 29 bales after 27 days since grazing, 12.5 acres of second cut, 152 bales 9 weeks after cutting and about 7.5 weeks after fertiliser.

And growth of 95, demand of 65 for the last 4 days.

I'm starting to run out of space to put bales at this stage:o

Got 30 ac on on Tuesday. 423 bales!
    Savage wedge of fodder made.
    20 acres of 3rd cut to make in a months time aswell

• Advertisement

Got 30 ac on on Tuesday. 423 bales!
    Savage wedge of fodder made.
    20 acres of 3rd cut to make in a months time aswell

Better to be looking at it than looking for it. I have a nice bit to make still though.

Advertisement