Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of dogs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Puppy farms should be sought out, stung through their ads or agents, whatever, and shut down.

A ban on advertising dogs for sale on DD, Adverts etc.

Commercial dog breeding banned until the pounds are empty.

Public service ads needed about the misery that buying and disposing of unwanted dogs brings. The public are pretty damn stupid when it comes to impulse purchases of pets.

More checks on ferries of suspicious dog movements.

I find the ads on DD to be particularly full of sh*t. A big spiel about 'mammy and daddy', rattling off the puppies names and a few random traits, and all this auld plamaus.
    'Will be getting their shots soon' (so no shots)
    'Getting microchips next week ' (ad up a week as it is)
    Looking for new forever homes for these lovely guys. Only the best homes apply...

Number of lifetime ads 97....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,772 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I find the ads on DD to be particularly full of sh*t. A big spiel about 'mammy and daddy', rattling off the puppies names and a few random traits, and all this auld plamaus.
    'Will be getting their shots soon' (so no shots)
    'Getting microchips next week ' (ad up a week as it is)
    Looking for new forever homes for these lovely guys. Only the best homes apply...

Number of lifetime ads 97....

I very much doubt anything will happen. If it were animals that get into the food chain, the Dept and Guards would be all over it like a bad suit. Anything else, dogs, horses, etc, it's a joke. You would nearly have to have skeletal animals shuffling around in public view before anything is done.

The public are as bad, selfishly wanting a dog without ever thinking about consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭AgriLad

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

AgriLad wrote: »

Holy **** , 16k and he prob get it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭vandriver

Keywords BMW,land cruiser??
    Huh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

On news talk now there on about the prices of dogs during lockdown

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

why should dogs be banned. Probably as many horses in pounds as dogs at times.

You should see the regulations with the IKC.

I sold a littler of pups from our pet springer last year. By the time pups leave here at 8 weeks old they have seen the vet twice and have all own vaccination passports, chip in which I verify as I have a chip reader, vaccination labels off the vile with batch codes and worming history

Also IKC papers issued a few weeks later and IKC papers of the 2 parents which we both own for 5 and 9 years .

3 people I sold pups to last year called this year wanting another for themselves of a close family member. I get picture of our pups on going including one from Scotland and another one in Wales.

Puppy farms should be sought out, stung through their ads or agents, whatever, and shut down.

A ban on advertising dogs for sale on DD, Adverts etc.

Commercial dog breeding banned until the pounds are empty.

Public service ads needed about the misery that buying and disposing of unwanted dogs brings. The public are pretty damn stupid when it comes to impulse purchases of pets.

More checks on ferries of suspicious dog movements.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭vandriver

Travelling on holiday last year(Dublin Holyhead) ,we were asked at both terminals for our dog's pet passport,so checks definitely take place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

why should dogs be banned.

Because some people don't like dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Because some people don't like dogs.

Hardly the reason people are suggesting in fairness...
    Puppy farming is big business and dogs are being discarded too often and too easily. The animals are being exploited and abused from all sides. There is also the knock on effects on other animals like sheep, where dogs like huskies are being left to their own devices outside when people get bored of them, and the dogs find something to do, ie kill sheep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,687 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Lads going around here putting cable ties on gates with dogs in the house. Could be a rural myth, but messages doing the rounds on Facebook. A lot of dogs being stolen.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 11,073 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Lads going around here putting cable ties on gates with dogs in the house. Could be a rural myth, but messages doing the rounds on Facebook. A lot of dogs being stolen.

In the towns drones are being used to scope out the back gardens and dog housing facilities.
    It really is up to buyers to cop the hell on and ask the questions.
    Dog warden was on the local radio station and told how a Mayo woman rang him to enquire about a wexford breeder. Just the fact that she was willing to travel from mayo to wexford to buy a dog and then she was going to pay €700 for a dog. The breeder was legit but the warden made the point not all these stolen dogs leave the country either.

It really is up to buyers to cop the hell on and ask the questions.

Or maybe just rethink buying a dog. How necessary is it, esp at this time?
    Are you prepared to look after it all of its days (10+ years commitment, incl all the food and vets bills) or is it just your (or your kids) current fad?
    What kind of a life are you offerring it?

Would rather these kind of questions were asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,183 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Or maybe just rethink buying a dog. How necessary is it, esp at this time?
    Are you prepared to look after it all of its days (10+ years commitment, incl all the food and vets bills) or is it just your (or your kids) current fad?
    What kind of a life are you offerring it?

Would rather these kind of questions were asked.

Dogs are now turning out to be substitute for having kids

Slava Ukrainii

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

Was incidentally talking to a lad yesterday claims he recently got €1500 each for a litter of 6 cavalier king charles, sold off the classifieds in 20 mins, some made 150 mile journeys to collect.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Welding Rod

Dogs getting better rearing than the kids in some houses. It’s a right freaking fad business if you ask me. The bloody dogs are treated like royalty!
    I like dogs, and we have two. Well fed and looked after. But not bloody prima donnas!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

It's actually because it gives the sense that dog rescues are perfect when there are dodgy rescues as well as breeders. I much prefer the term "adopt and shop responsibility".
    The biggest issue with rescue over buying is that rescue only isn't going to affect your backyard breeders all that much. The first people that will be impacted is going to be your genuine breeders that are seeking to create healthier dogs. The only dogs to exist then will be poorly bred dogs with health issues. Whereas, if people only bought from proper breeders, the number of dogs in rescues will drop dramatically.

Reminds me a bit of an animal welfare charity that was wound up a few years ago. Typical enough "charity"; set up your new organisation that duplicates the work already done by dozens of other charities, employ a few people including a well paid CEO,demand the government give you a bottomless pit of funding, no financial controls and 6 figure sums unaccounted for in your accounts etc.

In any case one of their "activities" was effectively to buy dogs at fairs and from puppy farms in order to "rescue" them. I'd like to say they were oblivious to the fact this only gives funding and encouragement to the breeders but I'd imagine they knew full well that their funding depended on the puppy farmers continuing to breed these dogs so were happy to contribute to the cycle.

Mollycoddling with little jackets and selfies but if things don't work out it's off to the dogs home with you.

Mollycoddling with little jackets and selfies but if things don't work out it's off to the dogs home with you.

It'd nearly remind one of the YouTuber Myka Stauffer rehoming her adopted Chinese child.
    It's all egomania and selfishness.

When the winter and cold and rain kicks in and the excuse for going out on walks becomes harder. These dogs will be dumped.
    It's all status atm with one trying to outdo another on social media. You paid 1,000 Euro for Jimmy. Pfft. I paid 4,000 for Sally Anne.

Northern registered van with six dogs was stopped by the Guards in Waterford.
    Just in case all the dogs haven't been accounted for or someone here recognises a dog.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=3427818073909594&id=769328056425289

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,155 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Donedeal has suspended the dogs for sale section on their site. They are working with animal welfare organisations to improve transparency.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Base price wrote: »
    Donedeal has suspended the dogs for sale section on their site. They are working with animal welfare organisations to improve transparency.

Adverts has removed the Dog Adoption section too.
    I see Gumtree and Dogs.ie has taken up the slack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

I priced puppy for a desirable family breed direct with a breeder this week. Availability spring 2021... cost €1,500

Yikes!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,368 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

49801 wrote: »
    I priced puppy for a desirable family breed direct with a breeder this week. Availability spring 2021... cost €1,500

Yikes!

Thats outrageous

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Paid for one dog here in the last 20 years, a jrt for 80 euro, any others were unwanted pups from elsewhere. Siblings have paid for dogs alright but tbh there are enough out there in any locality that a pup should be easily found if actually wanted. Would never pay stupid money for a dog, whatever about wanting a suitable breed for young kids or active/ sedentary lifestyles but hundreds/ thousands of euro, feck off!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭orm0nd

done deal not advertising dogs for now,

• Registered Users Posts: 10,687 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Donedeal dogs closed down. Market crash coming. I'm going to be stuck with Fifi. Fook.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 24,368 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Donedeal dogs closed down. Market crash coming. I'm going to be stuck with Fifi. Fook.

Deal with it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Reggie. wrote: »
    Deal with it

it’ll be dogs.ie or gumtree instead - you can’t shut the internet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

I was on the look out for a well bred working sheepdog pup for the last few weeks, some time for done deal to close up shop.

Advertisement