Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of dogs

Options
  • 15-06-2020 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭

Anyone spot the price of dogs on donedeal lately gone mad expensive, if the prices are being paid there's more out of them than cattle , ha

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

Yes was just talking about it with herself the other day maybe it's time to breed some other animals. A jack Russell would surely be cheaper winter than a suckler cow and 400 euro a pup. A calf wouldn't make that ��

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

djmc wrote: »
    Yes was just talking about it with herself the other day maybe it's time to breed some other animals. A jack Russell would surely be cheaper winter than a suckler cow and 400 euro a pup. A calf wouldn't make that ��

I couldn’t believe some of the prices , 1200-1500 for small dogs , I didn’t think people would be spending that much on pets , I’ve a pb Retriever got 8 odd years ago for autistic kid and paid 180 for him , wouldn’t get now

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Westernrock

The amount of puppy breeders with adverts up claiming both parents are family pets and part of the family etc. etc. would make you sick! They’re making a fortune and all cash in hand, it’s a litter of one breed this week and the following week the same phone numbers will have a litter of another breed up 😡

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭treascon

There are mongrels being sold on it for 700/800. I’ve been looking lately too & commented about the ridiculous prices being sought. Don’t purchase from Done**** simple as!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

I bought a German shepard 12 years ago as a pup for 350 PB registered beautiful girl, still alive what are they worth now?

• Advertisement

kevthegaff wrote: »
    I bought a German shepard 12 years ago as a pup for 350 PB registered beautiful girl, still alive what are they worth now?
    First add on dd for those pups is 900 sterling male 1200

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭ladystardust

treascon wrote: »
    There are mongrels being sold on it for 700/800. I’ve been looking lately too & commented about the ridiculous prices being sought. Don’t purchase from Done**** simple as!

This!!!!! I dont get it. A cockapoo cross huskador and the like...its a mutt, why is it costing nearly a grand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

It's a short term spike in demand from people with the time on their hands during lockdown. Once they're back to normal and coming home from work and finding the dog made a mess on the floor they'll be throwing them out and you can pick up the same dog from the animal shelter for nothing but good karma.
    Honestly it's a pretty despicable attitude to dog ownership, like Christmas times 10.

This!!!!! I dont get it. A cockapoo cross huskador and the like...its a mutt, why is it costing nearly a grand?

Lad in Wicklow looking for 2grand a pop for those ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Mother sold a litter of boxers there a few weeks ago. She could have easily charged at least 100eur more per pup than what she did. She practically garda vetted every buyer so was happy they went to good homes.
    But yes the prices are gone crazy. Pounds will be full in about 3 months when people are back to work, children back to school and no one has time for the dog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭orm0nd

kevthegaff wrote: »

I never found out the exact price ( or don't want to know) but my daughter gave well in excess of 1k for a 6 month old bitch last September.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

Well, DoneDeal is famous for dog breeders with little or no morals: they are often from puppy mills with all the bad stuff that brings along so price gouging is hardly unexpected. If someone actually wants a dog, just go to the reputable breeders - I just checked and you can buy 2 beautiful chocolate labrador dogs for €500 for the pair.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭mp3guy

I noticed this too. It's bizarre. We got our dog (border collie cross GSD) for free off some random farm about 18 months ago. There were 7 in the litter just free to a good home. Now people are charging mad money for anything. Shameful way to make a quick buck.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I was only saying this today. Her mother is looking for a dog and I just went onto dondeal for a look, 475 for a Jack Russell.

What happened to getting them in a cardboard box down the market for 20 euro lol

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Westernrock

mp3guy wrote: »
    I noticed this too. It's bizarre. We got our dog (border collie cross GSD) for free off some random farm about 18 months ago. There were 7 in the litter just free to a good home. Now people are charging mad money for anything. Shameful way to make a quick buck.

The sad thing is those people you got your perfectly healthy dog from probably struggled to find homes for them all because they were giving them away! But if a breeder with inbred dogs with health issues asks a fortune for a pup there would be a waiting list to get one, and the higher the price the more people want them!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭mp3guy

The sad thing is those people you got your perfectly healthy dog from probably struggled to find homes for them all because they were giving them away! But if a breeder with inbred dogs with health issues asks a fortune for a pup there would be a waiting list to get one, and the higher the price the more people want them!

Yeah it's completely backwards. At the same time we got her there were another two litters of collies for free up on donedeal as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭treascon

It’s the same crack on Adverts recently I noticed. Some amount of ads for dogs for sale when they are supposed to be free to good home. All mainly new accounts too. Never noticed this as an issue really before Covid 19.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

Animal welfare services and dog rescue shelters will be very busy in a few months time :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,264 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Don't buy puppies, there are always puppies who need homes.

We got two puppies, mongrels, in early February after our last dog passed last year. A colleague of my wife had the two parents as family pets. We gave them a token gift rather than a fee.

The pups get a lot of attention from strangers, most of whom are shocked to find out that they're from the same litter because they're very different in appearance, there were three more pups who all looked alike but nothing like either of our pair, take note if you're interested in these "designer breeds" it's a total ****show as to where on the spectrum of the two parents that the pup will turn out.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

The reason specific cross breeds demand such a high price is they are known as designer breeds. The most desirable attributes of both dogs. Its selective breeding, as most know mixed breeds are generally a healthier dog as they tend not to inherit the failings of their pure breed counter parts.
    I know someone who recently purchased a gsd of show lineage for €1500+. Gorgeous dog but not a hope would I.
    Malamute, husky, samoyed, bermese, God, all those and more will cost €1000+ for "top" dogs.
    My grandmother got a pure border collie for little or free she's a dopey but gorgeous dog. The amount some people pay is sickening, as mentioned lots of inbred and mixed breeds pretending to be pure breeds is astounding.
    If you see a husky that looks like a gsd or lab it ain't pure and there's loads on dd like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

Seriously, who in their right mind would buy a ‘pupe’ that’s ‘wormd and vacation got’. These so called sellers should be neutered and microchipped.

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Don't buy puppies, there are always puppies who need homes.

We got two puppies, mongrels, in early February after our last dog passed last year. A colleague of my wife had the two parents as family pets. We gave them a token gift rather than a fee.

The pups get a lot of attention from strangers, most of whom are shocked to find out that they're from the same litter because they're very different in appearance, there were three more pups who all looked alike but nothing like either of our pair, take note if you're interested in these "designer breeds" it's a total ****show as to where on the spectrum of the two parents that the pup will turn out.

Might not be ur case but often with the pups are different it’s cause there can be different fathers in the one litter ,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,264 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Mjolnir wrote: »
    The reason specific cross breeds demand such a high price is they are known as designer breeds. The most desirable attributes of both dogs. Its selective breeding, as most know mixed breeds are generally a healthier dog as they tend not to inherit the failings of their pure breed counter parts.
    I know someone who recently purchased a gsd of show lineage for €1500+. Gorgeous dog but not a hope would I.
    Malamute, husky, samoyed, bermese, God, all those and more will cost €1000+ for "top" dogs.
    My grandmother got a pure border collie for little or free she's a dopey but gorgeous dog. The amount some people pay is sickening, as mentioned lots of inbred and mixed breeds pretending to be pure breeds is astounding.
    If you see a husky that looks like a gsd or lab it ain't pure and there's loads on dd like that.

Crossing two pedigrees breeds can just as quickly deliver the worst combination of health and temperament as the best.

Edit... It's also far from selective breeding too, these people are breeding the same two dogs over and over again, the only selection going on is the fact that these are tge pair of dogs that they own.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭emmaro

I'm glad there is a thread on this because I was browsing donedeal and absolutely shocked to see the current price of dogs.

Nearly 2,000 for cockapoos or whatever. Most breeds I looked up had prices ranging from 800-2000. Insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭dmakc

I'd like to think the general public have the backbone to withhold €1200 for a dog that was €300 only four months ago. We're in the wrong game if not.

There is a bichon frice 3 month old in cork 2450 , crazy money

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭emmaro

Why are they suddenly so expensive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

emmaro wrote: »

Demand, loads of people want an dog right now because the are bored and have more free time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭enricoh

There is a bichon frice 3 month old in cork 2450 , crazy money

My folks had one, just as well they had the mortgage paid off as he was not far off that with the vet bills, injections, skin expert, special food etc etc!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,073 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

emmaro wrote: »

A farrier told me leisure horses have gone up in value since the lockdown.
    Even unbroken horses gone up as people were looking for something to occupy their time with.
    It'll be a different story of course when people get back to work or no work in cases and the economic situation bites hard.

Advertisement