Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The survival of the fittest, darwin method.

Options
  • 08-08-2020 1:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭

Can anybody direct me to places whère I can see arguements for or against this?

Some people think populaton culls are the way to go, Id love to see both sides of tbe arguement and make my decision.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭i_surge

Some people think populaton culls are the way to go, Id love to see both sides of tbe arguement and make my decision.

Even with covid the population has risen.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Your decision on what? :confused:
    Are you debating whether to be one of the douchebags who is willing to put others' lives at risk because you couldn't be arsed sticking to gov't advisories and want to stick it to the man?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

Ficheall wrote: »
    Your decision on what? :confused:
    Are you debating whether to be one of the douchebags who is willing to put others' lives at risk because you couldn't be arsed sticking to gov't advisories and want to stick it to the man?

I would like to see reasoned arguements for and against,

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I would like to see reasoned arguements for and against,

Humans have long since morphed in to a largely compassionate society where ones physical ability to survive does not largely influence whether or not they do so.

I expect we did this largely because of conscious thought and being able to build relationships and barter beyond simply forming allegiances for food/security in the form of a pack. That plus a desire to build wealth.

Arguments for our current mode of living? We evolved in to this and literally every facet of life would change within a relatively short amount of time were we to consciously decide to abandon this and for most of us it would go against our human nature to walk away from a sick or dying person simply because they do not have the capacity to fend for themselves

Arguments for reverting to survival of the fittest? Not many really other than it would probably be better for the environment and other species if we weren't around but right now, maybe for all intents and purposes we are the fittest species surviving (some rodents and insects might beg to differ) as we are at the top of the food chain.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

"survival of the fittest" means the fittest to adapt to changing situations / environments ...

• Advertisement

"survival of the fittest" means the fittest to adapt to changing situations / environments ...
    Exactly.

Our ancient ancestors didn't just abandon 'the weak'. They were looked after and cared for.

I honestly don't actually know what hte OP is asking for pros and cons of? They haven't put forward an argument? Is it for and against a deliberate population cull of some kind (of which covid is not it) or for pros/cons of mask wearing or something else? (I'm obviously missing it?)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

i presume it's 'herd immunity' he's going for? lift all restrictions, let the disease run rampant for a couple months, then come out the other side

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Thread title is a misnomer when it comes to Covid.

People want to go about their lives the same way prior to the virus, we all do because this is a big sh1t sandwich that we are all taking a bite of. Things are vastly different now.

In regards to "survival of the fittest", its a dumb fcuk of an mentality to have at the moment. "I dont have an underlying health condition, so I will be fine"; "I used to play Junior B GAAaaaa, im fit as a fiddle, I'll be grand"; "Fcuk everyone else, im not wearing a mask or social distancing, im a mad lad". Bunch of fcuktards that think they are immune.

When it comes down to it, we dont truely know about the long term effects that even a minor bout of Covid has on our bodies.

Some "weaker" people who develop Covid have ended up on a ventolator and died of Covid or death was excellerated by Covid.

Some "stronger" or normal people without underlying conditions have developed Covid and pulled through. However, some of those people appear to have reduced lung function and anxiety as a result. That "could" now mean they are no longer in the "fittest" category.

Lets be honest, nobody maybe immune to Covid, we may all be on a level playing field to contracting it. While death rate could mean the "fitter" may pull through and recover, thats not what each individual should be relying on.

Replace "survival of the fittest" with "survival of the prepared". Replace "only the old and vulnerable are at risk of contracting Covid" with "only the ignorant are at risk of contracting Covid".

The winter months may be a negative game changer for this.

Im not risking developing Covid, surviving and potentially weakening my internal organs or reducing my life expectancy just because I want to do "normal" things again too soon.

I will let the "weaker" in brain function folk to take that gamble and see how they are in 10 years time.

Mask up, sanitise, keep your distance, dont be a fcuking selfish pr1ck, survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Covid? I'm out.

Wear a mask, wash your hands, stay at home if in any way likely you have something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

If there is no vaccine,by the time a healthy person gets the 3rd infection(3years time) they are no longer in the "fittest category",and survival is unlikely.
    It may be said in the near future that "you don't want to get this virus once".
    Put on your mask,wash your hands and hey! hey! hey!....lets be careful out there!:)

No one here gets out alive.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVb9J0frv9s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

It is what it is, don't leave peeps behind, educate selfish ignorant apes in communities:D
    Mask up, keep up the hygiene and stay dfcuk away from me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,057 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

It is very applicable here. It is not just for physical fitness and strength. It is also intellectual strength.

In that context, survival of the fittest would be all the gobshites catching it and dying. Hopefully without spreading it too much to the rest of us

Edit: Just to add, that is what we are trying to prevent by having restrictions. The people or societies too thick to follow or understand simple guidelines will have more people dying unfortunately.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Exactly.

Our ancient ancestors didn't just abandon 'the weak'. They were looked after and cared for.
    And that goes back at least 1.6 million years with the Neanderthals.

In engineering and biology there are lots of compromises, the huge number of different species shows that there isn't a "fittest" though the world is being overrun by mice, rats and cats.

If the gene that causes cystic fibrosis protects against cholera, then when cholera is a risk then those with the gene will be the fittest and visa versa.

Humans need vitamin C.
    We lost the genes because they were excess baggage when we used to eat enough fruit to always have enough in our diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,437 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

In the evolutionary meaning "fitness" is the rate of reproductive output among a class of genetic variants. The phrase, often misinterpreted, refers to the transgenerational survival of the heritable attributes; particular individuals are completely irrelevant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

I’ll need a new pair of runners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

People want to go about their lives the same way prior to the virus, we all do because this is a big sh1t sandwich that we are all taking a bite of. Things are vastly different now.

In regards to "survival of the fittest", its a dumb fcuk of an mentality to have at the moment. "I dont have an underlying health condition, so I will be fine"; "I used to play Junior B GAAaaaa, im fit as a fiddle, I'll be grand"; "Fcuk everyone else, im not wearing a mask or social distancing, im a mad lad". Bunch of fcuktards that think they are immune.

When it comes down to it, we dont truely know about the long term effects that even a minor bout of Covid has on our bodies.

Some "weaker" people who develop Covid have ended up on a ventolator and died of Covid or death was excellerated by Covid.

Some "stronger" or normal people without underlying conditions have developed Covid and pulled through. However, some of those people appear to have reduced lung function and anxiety as a result. That "could" now mean they are no longer in the "fittest" category.

Lets be honest, nobody maybe immune to Covid, we may all be on a level playing field to contracting it. While death rate could mean the "fitter" may pull through and recover, thats not what each individual should be relying on.

Replace "survival of the fittest" with "survival of the prepared". Replace "only the old and vulnerable are at risk of contracting Covid" with "only the ignorant are at risk of contracting Covid".

The winter months may be a negative game changer for this.

Im not risking developing Covid, surviving and potentially weakening my internal organs or reducing my life expectancy just because I want to do "normal" things again too soon.

I will let the "weaker" in brain function folk to take that gamble and see how they are in 10 years time.

Mask up, sanitise, keep your distance, dont be a fcuking selfish pr1ck, survive.

Fantastic post. Especially this bit highlighted. The Oxford Vaccine is right around the corner. I don't understand why some people are in such a rush and hurry to rush back to the way life was pre covid. It's not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

owlbethere wrote: »
    Fantastic post. Especially this bit highlighted. The Oxford Vaccine is right around the corner. I don't understand why some people are in such a rush and hurry to rush back to the way life was pre covid. It's not worth it.

I have it on authority a vaccine could be finalised in January. People need to exercise some self-control. Beyond that, we are apparently civilised? The Survival of the Fittest eugenicist ideology doesn't need to be applied to human civilisation, we're better than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

i_surge wrote: »

It must be touch and go though, with the population increase of 50 million so far this year.

I think you have honed in on the mechanism of evolution. Some of these will be weeded out from the gene pool, like it has always worked.

• Advertisement

I have it on authority a vaccine could be finalised in January. People need to exercise some self-control. Beyond that, we are apparently civilised? The Survival of the Fittest eugenicist ideology doesn't need to be applied to human civilisation, we're better than that.

On what authority?

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭AUDI20

i_surge wrote: »

If you checked through all the other threads on Covid you will find the answer, what we don't need is yet another thread on the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

The local Garda station normally has leaflets on this. Just go in and tell them you'd like to know more about the benefits of culling the population.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,303 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Not to do with Covid-19

Thread closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement