Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbridge Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

aodh_rua wrote: »
    Says a lot about politics in the area when we have a junior minister in the department of agriculture and food, and he didn't prioritise conditions in meat plants given the global precedent and the number of facilities in the county.

I presume Patricia Ryan is still on holidays.

And if she is, she might as well stay there for all the 'noise' she has made since her 'promotion'. I haven't heard a word from her since. Even heard Cathal Berry on the radio yesterday.

This lockdown is probably the last thing WhiteWater needs.

On this, I hear another shop has closed it's doors in WW....clothes shop beside Eason's, 21 I believe it's called.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

This lockdown is probably the last thing WhiteWater needs.

Meanwhile, it’s ok for racing to go ahead on the Curragh???

Oh and this shower making decisions closed the test centre.��

Whitewater is open. Retailers are permitted to stay open.

The horse racing is not open to the public and as its not a contact sport, you could say that they are going to work.

Very strict measures are in place in the curragh too.

And it is specifically permitted in the regulations

"Professional and elite sports and horseracing may continue behind closed doors;"

You don't want an overbearing lockdown, but you do want one that reminds people how dangerous this virus is and it send out a message to everyone in the country.

The big elephant in the room is what will the virus be like as we head into winter - currently no-one knows and that's scary. I think Ireland will be fine and Bumbling Boris has finally woken up to the seriousness for the UK, but America could be ravaged and the gov should look at banning travel from the USA.

silver2020 wrote: »
    Whitewater is open. Retailers are permitted to stay open.

The horse racing is not open to the public and as its not a contact sport, you could say that they are going to work.

Very strict measures are in place in the curragh too.

And it is specifically permitted in the regulations

"Professional and elite sports and horseracing may continue behind closed doors;"

You don't want an overbearing lockdown, but you do want one that reminds people how dangerous this virus is and it send out a message to everyone in the country.

The big elephant in the room is what will the virus be like as we head into winter - currently no-one knows and that's scary. I think Ireland will be fine and Bumbling Boris has finally woken up to the seriousness for the UK, but America could be ravaged and the gov should look at banning travel from the USA.

I don't know a whole lot about horse racing. I was supposed to be going for my first family meal ( in six months ) in The Hanged Man next Saturday night. Pat texted me last night and one could feel the sadness through the text.

So, it's not okay for Him ( and all other restaurants ) to be open but it IS okay for horses to come from anywhere in the country along with their minders - perhaps even from overseas, but as I say I know nothing about horses so can't confirm or deny )? Sorry, but for me priorities are all wrong here.

TOTALLY agree with You on DT though ( Domestos Trump)..

but as I say I know nothing about horses so can't confirm or deny )? Sorry, but for me priorities are all wrong here.

Don't take this personally, but I would tend not to make comments on areas I would not have knowledge of. So far NPHET have been quite good on their calls and politicians have accepted their expertise, so if they say Horse racing can operate safely behind closed doors, then that's good for me.

If you think of it, they leave their yards and go directly behind the closed doors of the curragh, so there should be no issue. Its also a partial lockdown and its mostly concerning social aspects of life, so where something is behind closed doors with strict protocols, it should be allowed to continue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭harr

Says a lot about politics in the area when we have a junior minister in the department of agriculture and food, and he didn't prioritise conditions in meat plants given the global precedent and the number of facilities in the county.

No major fan of Sinn Fein but Ryan is one of the few I have seen speaking out on different issues a lot more vocal than certain others who got elected.

Don't take this personally, but I would tend not to make comments on areas I would not have knowledge of. So far NPHET have been quite good on their calls and politicians have accepted their expertise, so if they say Horse racing can operate safely behind closed doors, then that's good for me.

If you think of it, they leave their yards and go directly behind the closed doors of the curragh, so there should be no issue. Its also a partial lockdown and its mostly concerning social aspects of life, so where something is behind closed doors with strict protocols, it should be allowed to continue.
    Plus you have horses travelling over from the UK ...

I respect Your opinion Silver2020 & I ask that You respect mine purely as a layman. For me, staging a race meeting while restaurants cannot open, churches cannot hold masses etc is madness.

And now according to Harr, there are horses also coming from the UK? That canNOT be right in any persons reasoning.

My Niece had a baby girl a month ago, and we are now prevented from seeing either Mom or Daughter. My next door neighbour has a baby 5 months old. Had arranged for Baptism next Saturday, that's all gone now, but we can hold a race meeting?

I'm sorry but that's just not right.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭Damien360

harr wrote: »

I don’t think so. I pass the yard where the various horse boxes park up pretty much every day. I haven’t seen UK reg boxes in a while.

harr wrote: »
    I respect Your opinion Silver2020 & I ask that You respect mine purely as a layman. For me, staging a race meeting while restaurants cannot open, churches cannot hold masses etc is madness.

And now according to Harr, there are horses also coming from the UK? That canNOT be right in any persons reasoning.

That's the problem. People will write stuff on a forum or facebook and others believe it without questioning.

I had a quick look at tomorrow's card, not one UK trained horse is running. So that totally proves against "according to Harr". And you can check the card yourself - all owners, trainers and jockeys are all displayed (as they always are)

Remember the race meeting does not have any members of the public at it. No bars open, no restaurant open, no bookies. Every single person entering is known and their details are on record and it's also outdoor.

Churches and restaurants are indoor and people are in that indoor space for a prolonged period. If a local priest wanted to say masss outside, I would not expect that would be an issue.

Parks and outdoor recreation is open in Kildare. The National stud is open and you can get takeaway lunches there. All the public park and recreation areas are open to everyone - all these are in open space just like the curragh races.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

That's the problem. People will write stuff on a forum or facebook and others believe it without questioning.

I had a quick look at tomorrow's card, not one UK trained horse is running. So that totally proves against "according to Harr". And you can check the card yourself - all owners, trainers and jockeys are all displayed (as they always are)

Remember the race meeting does not have any members of the public at it. No bars open, no restaurant open, no bookies. Every single person entering is known and their details are on record and it's also outdoor.

Churches and restaurants are indoor and people are in that indoor space for a prolonged period. If a local priest wanted to say masss outside, I would not expect that would be an issue.

Parks and outdoor recreation is open in Kildare. The National stud is open and you can get takeaway lunches there. All the public park and recreation areas are open to everyone - all these are in open space just like the curragh races.

Richard Hannon and Michael Bell have runners in the only race I looked at for tomorrow and they are both coming from the u.k.. you obviously don't know your trainers

The horse racing should not go ahead tomorrow but it is, because its run by multi millionaires and they want to keep playing with their toys. While the rest of us have to follow the government guidelines. its pure two faced!!!.

Government were also told by NPHET in April 8th i think that meat processing plants nursing homes and provision centers need to be ring fenced as soon as possible but they didnt do anything about it and now we have a pandemic going on because the government didn't want to upset one of there biggest doners and its the little people that are gonna suffer once again.

As I said already, I know SFA about horse racing. However there are 2 horses racing in the 15h10: One is named Ventura Tormenta & the other is The Lir Jet. Both have in brackets after their names ( in GB ). I what do those 2 letters mean if there are no UK racers.

On another note altogether just back from shopping at Tesco’s. While waiting for my turn to check out, had a look at the journal website. Truly shocking figures. BUT I would guess at least 30%were not wearing masks. I commented to the cashier - who was visored- and Her reply? “Thank God it’s law from Monday.”

I really wonder do some people have a death wish😱

Richard Hannon and Michael Bell have runners in the only race I looked at for tomorrow and they are both coming from the u.k.. you obviously don't know your trainers

The horse racing should not go ahead tomorrow but it is, because its run by multi millionaires and they want to keep playing with their toys. While the rest of us have to follow the government guidelines. its pure two faced!!!.

Government were also told by NPHET in April 8th i think that meat processing plants nursing homes and provision centers need to be ring fenced as soon as possible but they didnt do anything about it and now we have a pandemic going on because the government didn't want to upset one of there biggest doners and its the little people that are gonna suffer once again.

Agree totally. I also saw the name AO’Brien after I think 2 horses. When I was growing up I know V. O’Brien lived in in Tipperary . After the shock of the numbers this evening, I’m not sure bringing horses from other counties is a wise decision or not. Also are all the jockeys Irish? I don’ know but I do know this meeting tomorrow should NOT be allowed to go ahead.

Sadly Newbridge isn’t far enough South to interest Heyden.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭Damien360

As I said already, I know SFA about horse racing. However there are 2 horses racing in the 15h10: One is named Ventura Tormenta & the other is The Lir Jet. Both have in brackets after their names ( in GB ). I what do those 2 letters mean if there are no UK racers.

On another note altogether just back from shopping at Tesco’s. While waiting for my turn to check out, had a look at the journal website. Truly shocking figures. BUT I would guess at least 30%were not wearing masks. I commented to the cashier - who was visored- and Her reply? “Thank God it’s law from Monday.”

I really wonder do some people have a death wish😱

I was in Lidl Kildare this morning at 8am. Every single person had a mask on. There is a cohort of people that don’t wear a mask in a store and they tend to be late risers ! The message is not getting through to those under 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

Agree totally. I also saw the name AO’Brien after I think 2 horses. When I was growing up I know V. O’Brien lived in in Tipperary . After the shock of the numbers this evening, I’m not sure bringing horses from other counties is a wise decision or not. Also are all the jockeys Irish? I don’ know but I do know this meeting tomorrow should NOT be allowed to go ahead.

In fairness the jockeys aren't moving around as much as they used too but some are i havent looked at who's riding tomorrow yet..

your right in saying that tomorrow meeting should not go ahead because it feels like its one law for one and another law for others and people are seeing that now.
    If this was France people would block the roads to the curragh and make sure the meeting can't go ahead because we are either in it together or we are not And us living on an island bringing in people for a horse race isn't gonna help the problem.

In fairness the jockeys aren't moving around as much as they used too but some are i havent looked at who's riding tomorrow yet..

your right in saying that tomorrow meeting should not go ahead because it feels like its one law for one and another law for others and people are seeing that now.
    If this was France people would block the roads to the curragh and make sure the meeting can't go ahead because we are either in it together or we are not And us living on an island bringing in people for a horse race isn't gonna help the problem.

The racing is 100% controlled, Its outdoors - there is no ban for outdoor activity in Kildare except contact sports. There's no ban on movement for work (all those at the Curragh have travelled for work purposes) and there's no ban on shopping either.

So it is not one regulation for some and one for another. Same regulations apply to everyone. (A law under statute giving effect to the Kildare lockdown does not come into effect until tomorrow)

and I've gone through the entire card and there are 3 UK horses in the entire card from 2 UK trainers. But the jockeys are local and neither trainer is here. So there won't be "a load of UK reg horse boxes" at the curragh

There are plenty of British tourists in Ireland too.

The racing is 100% controlled, Its outdoors - there is no ban for outdoor activity in Kildare except contact sports. There's no ban on movement for work (all those at the Curragh have travelled for work purposes) and there's no ban on shopping either.

So it is not one regulation for some and one for another. Same regulations apply to everyone. (A law under statute giving effect to the Kildare lockdown does not come into effect until tomorrow)

and I've gone through the entire card and there are 3 UK horses in the entire card from 2 UK trainers. But the jockeys are local and neither trainer is here. So there won't be "a load of UK reg horse boxes" at the curragh

There are plenty of British tourists in Ireland too.

That's fair enough. BUT, You were checking someone here yesterday when they said there are UK horses, & you were adamant there weren't. Now you have checked the card and said there are 3, I have no idea as I said yesterday racing isn't my forte, I just think you owe that other person an apology. Also, how are you so convinced those 2 trainers are not here?

Sorry, there are far too many contradictions these days...not with you alone. I thought the lockdown came into force at midnight on Friday - it certainly did as there were checkpoints outside St. Conleth's yesterday along with on the Athgarvan road.

Sorry, there are far too many contradictions these days...not with you alone. I thought the lockdown came into force at midnight on Friday - it certainly did as there were checkpoints outside St. Conleth's yesterday along with on the Athgarvan road.
    The legal powers have to be signed into law and that will not be done until tomorrow.

Edit - it was signed into law yesterday however there is no penalty for not doing so and the gardai have said that they will be "advising" people not to go further but "there will be no enforcement element"

The legal powers have to be signed into law and that will not be done until tomorrow.

Edit - it was signed into law yesterday however there is no penalty for not doing so and the gardai have said that they will be "advising" people not to go further but "there will be no enforcement element"

Yes, it was signed into law at midnight on Friday. SI 295 of 2020. I guess it's purely up to the individual Garda as to if one can travel or not.

I notice you forgot to comment on my comment above about the UK horses/trainers.

You are the person who said to me yesterday:

Don't take this personally, but I would tend not to make comments on areas I would not have knowledge of.

Then Harr commented about UK horses/trainers coming over, to which You replied:

Then earlier today You commented after myself and another poster stated there ARE UK horses/trainers at the meeting today:

and I've gone through the entire card and there are 3 UK horses in the entire card from 2 UK trainers. But the jockeys are local and neither trainer is here. So there won't be "a load of UK reg horse boxes" at the curragh.

Can I ask why is when someone else makes a comment you find it necessary to make comments like above yet when it's You who was wrong with your comments You give the impression that You just fob it off?

Again I think you owe Harr an apology and I ask You think carefully when you make comments like above again.

I am sure everybody can disagree with someone, after all whats a discussion all about, but when someone comes on and insinuates that others didn't check properly before making statements yet they didn't check themselves, well it leaves a sour taste in the mouth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Cole

Does anyone here shop regularly in the Tesco in Newbridge? I'm not a regular, but on the few recent occasions I've been in there...including twice in the last week (morning and evening)...I've never seen any kind of staff presence at the entrance/exit. No security or even a staff member monitoring that area.

I have seen staff monitoring the entrance/exit in Monread and Kildare...and Dunnes in Newbridge. It just seems like a major oversight given current times, e.g. checking numbers entering.

Cole wrote: »
    Does anyone here shop regularly in the Tesco in Newbridge? I'm not a regular, but on the few recent occasions I've been in there...including twice in the last week (morning and evening)...I've never seen any kind of staff presence at the entrance/exit. No security or even a staff member monitoring that area.

I have seen staff monitoring the entrance/exit in Monread and Kildare...and Dunnes in Newbridge. It just seems like a major oversight given current times, e.g. checking numbers entering.

As said above, I was there around 18h00 yesterday. I cannot recall seeing any security on entering. But at the same time, perhaps the numbers didn’t warrant control. However going by the maskless numbers when I was there & with the masks being a must have from tomorrow I would be surprised if there were no security from tomorrow.

Guess we’ll just have to wait & see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Cole

As said above, I was there around 18h00 yesterday. I cannot recall seeing any security on entering. But at the same time, perhaps the numbers didn’t warrant control. However going by the maskless numbers when I was there & with the masks being a must have from tomorrow I would be surprised if there were no security from tomorrow.

Guess we’ll just have to wait & see.

I noticed similar in the evening...50/50 with the mask wearing...but much better in the (early) morning. Yeah, I would be amazed if they didn't have some presence from tomorrow. The staff are getting on with their jobs, but it always feels like there's no 'floor management' in that store. Anyway, how they approach it from this week will be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭matchthis

Have seen staff policing the door of Tesco in Newbridge. Was the early hours most times and was more around the time of everything kicking off in March. Can’t comment on other times of the day though. Did find that as time went on, hadn’t seen anyone at the door. One thing I did notice was that it was not busy and everyone was spaced out. The main tills had no ques and the self checkouts were busiest, but again que followed the guidance on the floor. I’d say they have footfall counters on the doors so they would know how many are in the store and when to act. Find the traffic light system very good that saw at Lidl. Would’ve liked to see a virtual queuing system already before weather turns cold. Heard of a system whereby you checked in when you arrived in your car and were given a number. Numbers were displayed above the door and you could enter when your number came up

matchthis wrote: »
    Have seen staff policing the door of Tesco in Newbridge. Was the early hours most times and was more around the time of everything kicking off in March. Can’t comment on other times of the day though. Did find that as time went on, hadn’t seen anyone at the door. One thing I did notice was that it was not busy and everyone was spaced out. The main tills had no ques and the self checkouts were busiest, but again que followed the guidance on the floor. I’d say they have footfall counters on the doors so they would know how many are in the store and when to act. Find the traffic light system very good that saw at Lidl. Would’ve liked to see a virtual queuing system already before weather turns cold. Heard of a system whereby you checked in when you arrived in your car and were given a number. Numbers were displayed above the door and you could enter when your number came up

One thing I did notice was the staff I saw were all wearing visors with no mask underneath. I’m no expert but my neighbour is in the medical profession and she told me that there should be a mask as well as a visor.

Yes, it was signed into law at midnight on Friday. SI 295 of 2020. I guess it's purely up to the individual Garda as to if one can travel or not.

I notice you forgot to comment on my comment above about the UK horses/trainers.

You are the person who said to me yesterday:

Don't take this personally, but I would tend not to make comments on areas I would not have knowledge of.

Then Harr commented about UK horses/trainers coming over, to which You replied:

Then earlier today You commented after myself and another poster stated there ARE UK horses/trainers at the meeting today:

and I've gone through the entire card and there are 3 UK horses in the entire card from 2 UK trainers. But the jockeys are local and neither trainer is here. So there won't be "a load of UK reg horse boxes" at the curragh.

Can I ask why is when someone else makes a comment you find it necessary to make comments like above yet when it's You who was wrong with your comments You give the impression that You just fob it off?

Again I think you owe Harr an apology and I ask You think carefully when you make comments like above again.

I am sure everybody can disagree with someone, after all whats a discussion all about, but when someone comes on and insinuates that others didn't check properly before making statements yet they didn't check themselves, well it leaves a sour taste in the mouth.
    I won't go through all your posts and pick the unbelievable amount of scaremonger rubbish you have written over the past few weeks.

There was no UK trainer at the curragh yesterday. There is also free movement of people between the UK & Ireland.

Seriously have a look at all your posts (dozens a day) A phenomenal amount of utter scaremongering rubbish. As negative as you can get, everyone who does not hold you view is a target. Everything is bad news, bad news, bad news. Doom, gloom, doom, gloom.

I looked at other threads you have posted on. I can;t find a single positive post whatsoever. Everything is wrong, everyone does it the wrong way, only you with your "opinion" are right.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,017 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Folks personal attacks are not on, you should be adult enough to make a point without name-calling. Further transgressions will result in a ban

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Out for a walk today with my eight month old in the pram going by the new Aldi site so decided to take a few general photos of the progress from the public path. Was approached by a girl in a high viz vest who started questioning who I was and that it was illegal to take photos under gdpr. Told her very politely I was taking snaps of the progress around newbridge for a local interest. She then demanded I delete them!

Told her it was none of her business what I do on a public path and to leave me alone emphasising I didn't like her attitude or approach when I have my daughter with me. She then decides to go over to a bunch of builders who started pointing over at me and shouting in some attempt to intimidate me. I'm 6 foot 2 and 135kg so I wasn't going to be intimidated but really didn't appreciate that when out for a leisurely stroll with the baby. Will be contacting aldi and gowna construction about them.

Cazale wrote: »
    Out for a walk today with my eight month old in the pram going by the new Aldi site so decided to take a few general photos of the progress from the public path. Was approached by a girl in a high viz vest who started questioning who I was and that it was illegal to take photos under gdpr. Told her very politely I was taking snaps of the progress around newbridge for a local interest. She then demanded I delete them!

Told her it was none of her business what I do on a public path and to leave me alone emphasising I didn't like her attitude or approach when I have my daughter with me. She then decides to go over to a bunch of builders and who started pointing over at me and shouting in some attempt to intimidate me. I'm 6 foot 2 and 135kg so I wasn't going to be intimidated but really didn't appreciate that when out for a leisurely stroll with the baby. Will be contacting aldi and gowna construction about them.
    Wow talk about over the top , nothing to do with GDPR once you are taking them from public road and can be seen by public. Oh give someone a HI VIZ and suddenly they they get a power trip. You are right to bring it further I wouldn’t appreciate it if out with kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Cazale wrote: »

Told her it was none of her business what I do on a public path and to leave me alone emphasising I didn't like her attitude or approach when I have my daughter with me. She then decides to go over to a bunch of builders who started pointing over at me and shouting in some attempt to intimidate me. I'm 6 foot 2 and 135kg so I wasn't going to be intimidated but really didn't appreciate that when out for a leisurely stroll with the baby. Will be contacting aldi and gowna construction about them.

Jesus, that was completely OTT - it’s not like it’s top secret what they are doing there. Somebody just going overboard with their hi-viz and clipboard

Let us know the kind of response you get

Advertisement