Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lockdown for Kildare (Aug 8th-31st)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

VinLieger wrote: »
    Schools closed at 45 cases... Weve had 200+ in 3 days

That was 4 months ago, little was known about where these cases were or even about the virus itself. Hospital capacity has been greatly bulked up, people are following the social distancing guidance, working from home etc. I just don't know why they didn't close these facilities early on. It smacks of corruption and I would be pissed off to be in those counties, following the guidance but then seeing that one industry with known risks was allowed to ignore it all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

KiKi III wrote: »
    I believe people in DP were given the right to work last year.

Are they still getting free room and board paid for by the taxpayer ?
    If they are in a wage paying job then they should be paying their own way like the rest of us.

I know the Government are building a 2nd runway in Dublin but, I think we might need a 3rd one.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Has anything been said about people who live in one these county's and work outside?

Residents will be permitted to travel outside of these counties for the following reasons:

- To travel to and from work, where it is not possible to work from home.
    - To attend medical appointments and collect medicines and other health products.
    - For vital family reasons such as caring for children, elderly or vulnerable people - but excluding social visits.
    - For farming purposes including food production and care for animals.

Source: https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0807/1157800-coronavirus-ireland/

• Registered Users Posts: 26,958 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Shocking but clearly necessary, I'm in a rural location in one of the counties, this will be the nail in the coffin of local businesses and I think it's a certainty we won't be seeing rural pubs opening any time soon, just depressing at this stage.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

VinLieger wrote: »
    Schools closed at 45 cases... Weve had 200+ in 3 days

There were more cases then. It took two weeks to get results so it's nowhere as bad. Testing and tracking is better.

It's a pain but it's better to have mild restrictions now than ****storm in two weeks. Anyway apparently were some of the employees in meet factories that had tested positive at confirmations last week (could be communions).

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭ewc78

I know a house where I'm from that half the house is in Co Kilkenny and the other half is in Co.Laois! I guess he's a Kilkenny man for the next 2 weeks...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It's a ridiculous decision. When Dublin had a huge percentage of cases, localised lockdowns were not something that would be considered. Kerry and plenty of other counties suffered while Dublin had these cases. But now that it's not Dublin, sure localised lockdowns are fine and for the good of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Vizzy

meeeeh wrote: »
    There were more cases then. It took two weeks to get results so it's nowhere as bad. Testing and tracking is better.

It's a pain but it's better to have mild restrictions now than ****storm in two weeks. Anyway apparently were some of the employees in meet factories that had tested positive at confirmations last week (could be communions).

And hence the problem !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

woodchuck wrote: »
    Residents will be permitted to travel outside of these counties for the following reasons:

- To travel to and from work, where it is not possible to work from home.
    - To attend medical appointments and collect medicines and other health products.
    - For vital family reasons such as caring for children, elderly or vulnerable people - but excluding social visits.
    - For farming purposes including food production and care for animals.

Source: https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0807/1157800-coronavirus-ireland/

I wonder what the cost of this lockdown is, the article is completely silent. But to advise for such restrictive measures, businesses will have to be compensated for rent, wages, stock, rates, insurance and potentially even lost profits.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JPCN1

Cue all the Dubs laughing at KOL. The government should have done it countrywide. We're not a giant country like Australia.

I doubt anyone laughing rather glad it's not their county.

Think it's very harsh with the numbers and we cant really afford another general lockdown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Need to be more careful about who we allow into this country.

Those factory workers would have little English and therefore a poor grasp of basic virus prevention.

Australia UK etc have language tests. Its time for the same here.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

ebbsy wrote: »
    Need to be more careful about who we allow into this country.

Those factory workers would have little English and therefore a poor grasp of basic virus prevention.

Australia UK etc have language tests. Its time for the same here.

Leave your racism at the door

• Registered Users Posts: 19,617 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Cue all the Dubs laughing at KOL.

Already seen it on whatsapp, 'Kildare GAA to be renamed 'The Filthy Whites'

MadYaker wrote: »
    They shut the factory down after they tested the workers and found 80 cases. The reason the 3 counties had to be locked down is because at that point those 80 cases had been out in the community potentially spreading the virus so now they are playing catch up trying to get on top of the community transmission hence the lockdown.

TV3 news said that over the last two weeks the three counties have been the source of half (around 240) of all new cases with another 60 yet to be reported on today.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Effective from midnight tonight (Aug 7th)

Hang on a minute.......

My mother in law lives in county Kildare.

Every cloud and all that jazz!

**Cracks open beer**

• Registered Users Posts: 6,500 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

A lockdown based on new cases is so ridiculous. Hospital numbers absolutely minimal and age of the workers infected means there is an extremely low risk of them even needing to go to hospital.
    But they'd spread it to others if they don't self-isolate. I know of a house Kildare town with 5 workers from the local meat factory and one from a supermarket. If they get infected, the lad from the supermarket would to self-isolate.
    How do you socially distance in a meat factory? or a direct provision centre?
    You don't, in a meat factory anyway. And I'd say conditions would be terrible having to wear masks.
    Has anything been said about people who live in one these county's and work outside?
    You can travel for work in certain circumstances. I live and work in Kildare, but a lot of my colleagues are from outside Kildare/Laois/Offaly. I'd say they'll still be okay as even from the start, we were deemed to be an essential manufacturing facility.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,913 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

JPCN1 wrote: »
    I doubt anyone laughing rather glad it's not their county.

Think it's very harsh with the numbers and we cant really afford another general lockdown.

You can bet that no one is laughing at all.

Many are going to try to get around it though and they will too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Listening to Martins speech and he is saying that people "should" do this and "should" do that.

No mention of anything being mandatory.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Not a fan of FF but that was a good speech no childish quotes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

All because meat factories pay foreign staff minimum wage and have them wedged into flats together and won’t let them be off sick

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

Kiith wrote: »
    It's a ridiculous decision. When Dublin had a huge percentage of cases, localised lockdowns were not something that would be considered. Kerry and plenty of other counties suffered while Dublin had these cases. But now that it's not Dublin, sure localised lockdowns are fine and for the good of the country.

yep, ironically Laois had one of the lowest numbers during the first wave.

• Advertisement

McMurphy wrote: »
    My mother in law lives in county Kildare.

Every cloud and all that jazz.....

**Cracks open beer**

LOL but every cloud and all that. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Probably can’t afford it on minimum wage and been ripped off by their employer for sharing four or five to a room

• Registered Users Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Tork wrote: »
    A lot of people who aren't wearing masks are foreign (or at least look like they're from abroad). Is there a language or cultural issue at play here?

(Waits for the first "You're a racist" comment to come in).

Funily enough for ages it was the other way around as I see it it still is. There are a few Chinese, Japanese and Korean people near me and from the first day even when it was not mandatory they had masks on and had very strict rules. I see a lot of Irish with no masks on or just covering there mouth

• Registered Users Posts: 12,170 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

There'll be a reckoning for the meat processing industry when all this is over. It's been a long time coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

You’ve a lot to worry about

MadYaker wrote: »
    There'll be a reckoning for the meat processing industry when all this is over. It's been a long time coming.

Well that would be up to HSA I think.

The issue may not be the factories themselves, but rather the living conditions of the workers when they go home.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

He was probably going quick get Leo in here we will start the revolving Taoiseach ahead of time. You give the news. Leo be sorry can't here you going through a tunnel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Kiith wrote: »

And since two wrongs always make a right, the entire country should go into lockdown again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Imagine imposing restrictions by county lines in this day and age. Backwards as anything

Leixlip and Celbridge despite being almost in Dublin and miles from the problem under restrictions. There's going to be instances of one household under restriction but next door neighbours not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

That was wrote by one of his very expensive advisors

Advertisement