Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Aris's Walrus: The Reveal

1121314151618»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,919 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

In 19th place, submitted by
    Green&Red
    , Catfish and the Bottlemen-Homesick (from the album The Balcony)

I liked the beginning and the end of this one, the first 45 seconds have a very nice quieter feel and the ending also falls back to the same pattern. Not too excited about the middle part, with the first chorus the song moves to standard indie rock territories, and I didn’t find it as interesting.

In 3rd place, submitted by
    Necro
    and
    Kolido
    , Guns’n’Roses-Welcome to the Jungle (from the album Appetite for Destruction)

You know where you are? You're in the jungle baby, you're gonna die!! As album openers go, you can’t get much better than Welcome to the Jungle. No wonder that 2 people opted for it. A track that sets the tone for what is a superb album. Axl Rose is at his best here (and in the Use Your Illusion albums) and in full control and understanding of how things need to be done. And that change in tempo around 3:20 is fantastic.

In 20th place, submitted by
    the purple tin
    , Bruce Springsteen-Nebraska (from the album Nebraska)

My preference on great openers is usually songs that are uptempo and set a dynamic feel for what comes next. Nebraska isn’t one of these songs. And it wouldn’t be my favourite type of Bruce Springsteen song either. This falls more to the storytelling, Americana/folk side of the Boss. He sings with only the company of a guitar and harmonica. I didn’t really care about the song to be honest and I wouldn’t consider it a great opener per se – although I understand that the whole Nebraska album is like that, in which case it is probably a great opener for that album.

In 2nd place, submitted by
    ShaneU
    , Yazoo-Don’t Go (from the album Upstairs at Eric’s)

The host of our next Walrus finishes on a high with an absolute classic! That synthesizer intro is one of the most iconic 80s melodies. In the past I have used this song as a ringtone and/or alarm in my mobile. Everything that Vince Clarke did in the 80s (with Depeche Mode, Yazoo, Erasure and even the short-lived Assembly) is quintessential 80s. And in Alison Moyet he found another great singer to interpret his music. 3 minutes of pure pop perfection!!

In 21st place, submitted by
    s1ippy
    , Devil Townsend-Seventh Wave (from the album Ocean Machine: Biomech)

Someone had to take the last spot in this very competitive list and Devil Townsend had the disadvantage of being somewhat outside of my interests. The spoken word intro and the instrumental beginning were promising. But as soon as the vocals came in the song lost me: they sounded slightly distorted in some parts, and the general harshness made them get lost in the mix. As an instrumental this would have fared better, but as things stand it couldn’t avoid the last place.

• Advertisement

In 1st place, submitted by
    lassykk
    , Pearl Jam-Once (from the album Ten)

When grunge exploded in the early 90s I found Pearl Jam’s Ten album more interesting than Nirvana’s Nevermind. I already knew Alive before I bought and listened the album. Interestingly Once starts after 40 seconds of intro which actually is a part of the song Master/Slave. But once (pun intended) it starts it never takes the foot of the pedal. The guitar riff is among one of the best that Pearl Jam have done and everything works perfectly – including that wonderful bridge with the few spoken words around 2:40. And I consider this one of the finest vocal performances of Eddie Vedder. I will go as far as to say that Once, Evenflow and Why Go are my 3 favourite Pearl Jam songs (more so than the obvious singles Alive and Jeremy). I admit that I didn’t follow them for long (only for the first 2 albums, then I moved to poppier territories and their sound moved away from grunge to more “standard” rock) but those 2 first albums -and Ten in particular – are really great music.

Which means our winner (for what I think is a record 4th time) is Also Starring LeVar Burton!!
    LeVar's appearances in Walruses at the moment are like Ireland's Eurovision in the 90s: win after win. I was expecting him to do well - based on his own Walrus it looked like we had lots of common ground, and his selections were spot on!!

On the other end of the table, JohnGreenFan takes the wooden spoon. I think it was their first ever Walrus participation - but don't think about too much, it was simply a case of our music tastes not being compatible and I'm sure that they will have done very well in many other Walruses

Round 1 Round 2 Round 3 Round 4 Round 5 Round 6 Round 7 Total Points
    Also Starring LeVar Burton 14 20 11 19 21 8 17 110
    phatkev 18 6 21 9 20 13 12 99
    Kolido 5 15 8 13 16 21 19 97
    lassykk 1 14 4 21 14 18 21 93
    Necro 21 12 5 4 19 11 19 91
    s1ippy 16 19 10 16 12 16 1 90
    beakerjoe 15 21 17 10 9 4 13 89
    JP Liz V1 12 17 16 12 10 9 10 86
    Shane U 11 11 9 14 13 5 20 83
    Mustang Shelly 6 4 13 20 3 17 14 77
    Homer J. Fong 20 10 6 17 5 3 16 77
    fixXxer 4 18 15 5 17 10 7 76
    Zaph 19 9 14 11 1 7 15 76
    Electric Nitwit 8 3 12 18 2 19 11 73
    the purple tin 10 2 18 6 11 20 2 69
    Osh 9 8 19 1 8 14 6 65
    Sawduck 7 16 1 7 15 12 5 63
    Green&Red 13 7 7 8 6 15 3 59
    Gru 17 5 20 2 4 1 9 58
    RasTa 3 1 2 15 18 6 8 53
    JohnGreenFan 2 13 3 3 7 2 4 34

• Registered Users Posts: 30,328 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Congrats LeVar on another victory.

Thank you Aris for running this walrus.

Really happy to finish mid-table considering the start that I had :)

and the final playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUaRXycpvvkG0-r2YAfiDJFQxOEkViIeq

I want to thank you all for participating. Irrespective of points an places you all contributed to the main purpose which was to help me discover lots of great music!!! Fair play to all of you's!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,267 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Irish Aris wrote: »
    In 20th place, submitted by
    the purple tin
    , Bruce Springsteen-Nebraska (from the album Nebraska)

My preference on great openers is usually songs that are uptempo and set a dynamic feel for what comes next. Nebraska isn’t one of these songs. And it wouldn’t be my favourite type of Bruce Springsteen song either. This falls more to the storytelling, Americana/folk side of the Boss. He sings with only the company of a guitar and harmonica. I didn’t really care about the song to be honest and I wouldn’t consider it a great opener per se – although I understand that the whole Nebraska album is like that, in which case it is probably a great opener for that album.

One of my absolute favourite Springsteen songs. It's grim as fcuk, but about as perfect a song as you'll find for something so stripped back.

And don't forget people, we head this way for Shane's Walrus which starts in less than an hour!!

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058102343

Cheers Aris. Great reveal. Definitely thought I was about to fall at the final hurdle on this one.

Fun Fact: since Trigger and Kev have yet to reveal their winners, of the the Walrus' I've entered that have completed their reveal, I've won 4 of 6... ;)

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 84,740 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Thank you Irish Aris and well done again LeVar the Walrus king

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,267 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

(Begrudging :D) congratulations to ASLB for another impressive win. Maybe you'll give someone else a chance next time. But probably not. :pac:

And thanks for running a great competition Aris, I really enjoyed it.

Zaph wrote: »
    (Begrudging :D) congratulations to ASLB for another impressive win. Maybe you'll give someone else a chance next time. But probably not. :pac:

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Thanks for running Irish Aris. at least you liked one of my songs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

s1ippy

Someone had to take the last spot in this very competitive list and Devil Townsend had the disadvantage of being somewhat outside of my interests. The spoken word intro and the instrumental beginning were promising. But as soon as the vocals came in the song lost me: they sounded slightly distorted in some parts, and the general harshness made them get lost in the mix. As an instrumental this would have fared better, but as things stand it couldn’t avoid the last place.

Ocean Machine!! You beauty!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Ah he-ur! Let someone else win for a change LB. You are becoming to Walruses what Mr Fong is to Sheeps :p
    Nicely done Aris, cheers.

Ah he-ur! Let someone else win for a change LB. You are becoming to Walruses what Mr Fong is to Sheeps :p

giphy.gif

It is what it is... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Thanks Aris for a great game, really happy with 3rd, wasnt expecting to do that well.

Congrats to LeVar, you must be skint with all the bribe payments, let me know of ya need a sub.

Kolido wrote: »
    Thanks Aris for a great game, really happy with 3rd, wasnt expecting to do that well.

Congrats to LeVar, you must be skint with all the bribe payments, let me know of ya need a sub.

No bribes necessary...

giphy.gif

I don't mean to brag though...

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Good win again LeVar and some really great songs entered in this walrus by everyone, cheers Irish Aris for running it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

giphy.gif
    Hahaha grace in triumph! Fair dues kid you've got quite the music taste, well deserved!
    s1ippy

Aw that's a shame. I was mid-placed for the whole thing and placed in second before this crushing disappointment! :p

Devin Townsend is a Canadian musician who has a lot of strange projects recently but his roots are absolutely solid. He started out collaborating with:
    Steve Vai (Sex and Religion album)

and then got a band together -

Strapping Young Lad

or for the faint of heart, here it is mixed with Beyonce:

His influences are WASP, Rush and hair metal bands, which is ironic because before he went full moon he was famous for the Skullet (which Metalocalypse ripped off from him):
    6FYdyou.png

Here's Natural Science by Rush in full, just because it's amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7W0Nm8iHwk

Anyway, Devin Townsend utilized to great effect the "Wall of Sound" technique. I'm not sure whether it was his ambitiousness that made it impressive or the sound engineer's ability to ensure it was still musical with that many layers in it. A MVP mention goes to SYL's drummer, one of the greatest drummers in the world, Gene Hoglan:

A tamer example of Devin's solo stuff that would probably be accessible to even those who aren't into metal might be this absolutely beautiful number from one of the last good albums that he made (imo).

Anyway that's enough about that, great game everyone! See you in the next one and thanks so much Irish Arís for listening to them all. It was a rollercoaster ride of emotion :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

sl1ppy we could be best friends.

I posted Punky Brewster in a previous walrus, another Devin side project :D

s1ippy wrote: »
    Hahaha grace in triumph! Fair dues kid you've got quite the music taste, well deserved!

Yourself and Kev had me worried going in to that last round. Well fought. My commiserations.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Thanks for a great game IA, happy to place so high.... maybe my taste isnt so ****e after all, ha.

Congrats to ASLB, an eclectic taste in music, but clearly they know their stuff. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭JohnGreenFan

On the other end of the table, JohnGreenFan takes the wooden spoon. I think it was their first ever Walrus participation - but don't think about too much, it was simply a case of our music tastes not being compatible and I'm sure that they will have done very well in many other Walruses

Yes it was my first ever Walrus so at least it can only get better from here:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,610 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I noticed a pattern in the comments for my songs. I may have got the tactics wrong for this one :pac:
    I thought the vocals were kind of lost in the mix
    True to his word, EN submitted a song that meets my definition of noise. The issue I had with this song is that the vocals are not only a bit harsh but they also getting lost in the mix
    I found this rather noisy. The instruments felt like they were trying to get on top of each other and the voices for the most part were getting lost in the mix – not sure if this was on purpose or a result of too much production, but I didn’t like the end result
    Alas, for the second part (around the 3-minute mark) the song gets a bit “busy”: it sounds as all the mics for all the instruments are turned up to the max and fight each other for listening space

• Advertisement
Advertisement