Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Aris's Walrus: The Reveal

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Ah I thought I'd sent Suite Judy Blue Eyes by CSNY. Yeah I've only heard the live version, tis a whopper.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Oh boy!

:o

I know it isn't much of a consolation, but without the male vocals this song would have placed higher - it was just that I was splitting hairs to finalise rankings and I found an easy excuse. . .

In 3rd place, submitted by
    Necro
    , Robbie Williams-Bodies

One of the very few pop songs in this list and it gave it a competitive advantage – the song would have placed high anyway. I like Robbie Williams, I think that he made the most interesting things outside of Take That. This is a great pop song, I like the strings and how the song changes arrangements between verses and chorus.

In 20th place, submitted by
    Electric Nitwit
    , Fight Like Apes-Pull Off Your Arms and Let’s Play in Your Blood.

I was impressed to discover that Fight Like Apes were both popular and critically acclaimed. Another band that they weren’t very active after I moved to Ireland so I never registered them. I found this rather noisy. The instruments felt like they were trying to get on top of each other and the voices for the most part were getting lost in the mix – not sure if this was on purpose or a result of too much production, but I didn’t like the end result

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,268 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I can see where this is going at the bottom of the table and I'm not feeling good about it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,636 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Yeah...
    Well, I detest your fücking stories
    I'd love to have a shot at your chest
    :p

I mean who else gave you a song featuring self-removing genitals?!

Ah well, I genuinely think some people would love this. Not today though. Luckily I know I've nailed the last two rounds :pac:

Yeah...

:p

I mean who else gave you a song featuring self-removing genitals?!

Ah well, I genuinely think some people would love this. Not today though. Luckily I know I've nailed the last two rounds :pac:

Can't commend at the moment. I'm doing this thing that I only check who submitted what as I do the reveal, so I can have a bit of suspense for myself too :D

In 2nd place, submitted by
    phatkev
    , Explosions in the Sky-Your Hand in Mine

My connection with post rock started with the discovery of Sigur Ros (with the self-titled/untitled album). Explosions In The Sky was one of the bands that draw my attention and I think their first 3 albums are amongst the most interesting of the post rock sound. Your Hand in Mine is an epic 9 minute song that captures the essence of post rock: quite guitar passages leading to powerful drums crescendos, the mood changes throughout the song in such a natural way. It feels like the music really tells a story. An excellent choice and a good reminder of a very good band.

Zaph wrote: »
    I can see where this is going at the bottom of the table and I'm not feeling good about it...

sorry Zaph, just an unlucky selection. . .

In 21st place, submitted by
    Zaph
    , Radiohead-My Iron Lung

I don’t like 90s Radiohead at all. I found Thom Yorke’s voice annoying and only got interested when they introduced electronic elements on Kid A and Amnesiac, mainly because I find the experimental electronic sound suits his voice better. That song didn’t catch my attention that much. Standard Radiohead sound with some grunge elements and Yorke’s voice the way I don’t like. Only natural so that it ended up in the last spot.

Irish Aris wrote: »

Zaph
    , Radiohead-My Iron Lung
    tumblr_mgqjur3oDt1qg0lbvo1_500.gif

I was OK with me being second last but I will not accept this! This is a cracking song!

• Advertisement

Zaph
    , Radiohead-My Iron Lung

I don’t like 90s Radiohead at all. I found Thom Yorke’s voice annoying and only got interested when they introduced electronic elements on Kid A and Amnesiac, mainly because I find the experimental electronic sound suits his voice better. That song didn’t catch my attention that much. Standard Radiohead sound with some grunge elements and Yorke’s voice the way I don’t like. Only natural so that it ended up in the last spot.

That's fair enough, there's a natural split between those who prefer early Radiohead and those who prefer later. I'm definitely in the former camp, electronic noodling just doesn't interest me at all, but I will say that some of their later songs sound incredible live when they have to dial back the electronic sounds a bit.

tumblr_mgqjur3oDt1qg0lbvo1_500.gif

I was OK with me being second last but I will not accept this! This is a cracking song!

I told you there would be a riot!!!!

Ah here now! :eek:

Far from my favourite Radiohead song.....but last?!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

That's fair enough, there's a natural split between those who prefer early Radiohead and those who prefer later.
    I'm in the don't like any Radiohead camp, so make another split :pac:

I told you there would be a riot!!!!
    I mean, my take away could be that I placed one above the best band in the world... :cool:

ShaneU wrote: »
    I'm in the don't like any Radiohead camp, so make another split :pac:

I'm afraid there's just no hope for you at all Shane :D

That's fair enough, there's a natural split between those who prefer early Radiohead and those who prefer later. I'm definitely in the former camp, electronic noodling just doesn't interest me at all, but I will say that some of their later songs sound incredible live when they have to dial back the electronic sounds a bit.

I really think Yorke's voice plays a big part on my dislike of early Radiohead - because I rather like this cover that Tears for Fears have done

In 1st place, submitted by
    Also Starring LeVar Burton
    , Tears For Fears-Head Over Heels

No other song came close to challenging Head Over Heels for the top spot. This is another classic 80s song. Roland’s vocals are usually powerful – but here there is a softness and vulnerability in the way he sings and that’s why I consider this one of his most interesting (if not the best) vocal performance of his career.

I really think Yorke's voice plays a big part on my dislike of early Radiohead - because I rather like this cover that Tears for Fears have done

Never heard that before. Better than I would have expected tbh, especially given my pathological dislike of Tears For Fears. :pac:

LeVar increases his lead, but 4 players are still in "shouting" distance.
    A second consecutive good placing gets RasTa of the last place which is now occupied by JohnGreenFan

Round 1 Round 2 Round 3 Round 4 Round 5 Round 6 Round 7 Total Points
    Also Starring LeVar Burton 14 20 11 19 21 85
    phatkev 18 6 21 9 20 74
    s1ippy 16 19 10 16 12 73
    beakerjoe 15 21 17 10 9 72
    JP Liz V1 12 17 16 12 10 67
    Necro 21 12 5 4 19 61
    fixXxer 4 18 15 5 17 59
    Homer J. Fong 20 10 6 17 5 58
    Shane U 11 11 9 14 13 58
    Kolido 5 15 8 13 16 57
    Zaph 19 9 14 11 1 54
    lassykk 1 14 4 21 14 54
    Gru 17 5 20 2 4 48
    the purple tin 10 2 18 6 11 47
    Mustang Shelly 6 4 13 20 3 46
    Sawduck 7 16 1 7 15 46
    Osh 9 8 19 1 8 45
    Electric Nitwit 8 3 12 18 2 43
    Green&Red 13 7 7 8 6 41
    RasTa 3 1 2 15 18 39
    JohnGreenFan 2 13 3 3 7 28

• Advertisement

That's fair enough, there's a natural split between those who prefer early Radiohead and those who prefer later
    4a1n7w.jpg

and the YouTube playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUaRXycpvvkHhFD9Hcvpp6l9ZpM8b3S8b

next reveal is probably gonna be Monday, I will let you know guys anyway.

Hope you all have a great long weekend!! :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

What about people who don't like either?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Oh, never mind, I see them outside the Venn.

quickbeam wrote: »
    Oh, never mind, I see them outside the Venn.
    I'm a mathematician, my Venn diagrams have to be complete :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

In 8th place, submitted by
    lassykk
    , Goo Goo Dolls-Iris

The second appearance of the Goo Goo Dolls classic in this Walrus ends a place higher than the first attempt. I was intrigued when I saw the song in 2 different categories. I read the story behind the lyrics and it appears that the song has been inspired by singer Iris DeMent. Since iris is also in the human body I allowed it in both categories. This is definitely a song that benefits from repeated listening and I expect to listen to it more in the future as contrary to the majority I wasn't familiar with it.

God I hate that song

I think (and I seem to be alone) that its the most overplayed, over-rated song in the last 20 years

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭osh

No I hate it too

• Registered Users Posts: 30,333 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

:o

I know it isn't much of a consolation, but without the male vocals this song would have placed higher - it was just that I was splitting hairs to finalise rankings and I found an easy excuse. . .

In fairness, I have always thought that this song would benefit without Marco's vocals.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Irish Aris wrote:
    One of the very few pop songs in this list and it gave it a competitive advantage – the song would have placed high anyway. I like Robbie Williams, I think that he made the most interesting things outside of Take That. This is a great pop song, I like the strings and how the song changes arrangements between verses and chorus.

Woo hoo! Always the danger with pop that you will get a judge who doesn't like any at all. Glad I took the risk because I think Bodies is a cracking tune. Not his best, but it's quite different from his normal stuff imo which makes it stand out a bit.

ShaneU wrote:
    I'm in the don't like any Radiohead camp, so make another split

Add another one to that camp, don't get them at all at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Green&Red wrote: »
    God I hate that song

I think (and I seem to be alone) that its the most overplayed, over-rated song in the last 20 years

Youre not alone. A fine sing but played to death. It now hurts my ears.

Advertisement