Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The 2020 PGA Championship Thread

• 06-08-2020 9:15am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭

First major of the year time!!!

All chats here and remember this is not the betting thread!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Looking forward to it. Hopefully a good performance from Lowry in this, showed some form last weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Very excited - One unfortunate thing is it's West Coast.

Set up very difficult, so any good scores would be great. Brooks Koepka shot a bogey free in the 1st Round at Bethpage Black last year, so this could be similar.

etxp wrote: »
    Looking forward to it. Hopefully a good performance from Lowry in this, showed some form last weekend.

When Shane Lowry's driving accuracy ranks just one position above Jhonny Vegas, it does not bode well for a course with awful rough. Speaking that as a massive Lowry fan.

WJz4tQ.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Winner is DJ!
    Not sure if accuracy will be paramount. It's a Par 70 and long.
    Approach from the rough 175-200. Married with Right-to-Left shot shape is the angle im going with:confused:
    https://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.02368.html

Finau, Lowry & Schwartzel also on my card

• Registered Users Posts: 7,535 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Live coverage only sky ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

Can’t believe I even have to ask this but is there anywhere online or in Europe we can watch the golf before 6pm?

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Blud

unplayable wrote: »
    Can’t believe I even have to ask this but is there anywhere online or in Europe we can watch the golf before 6pm?

I think it is on ESPN + in the US, so streaming only.

It looks like SuperSport 1 in South Africa are showing the early stuff live.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,650 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Really hard to look past Either Brooks, DJ or JT to get the win, outside chance to Hatton, Berger, Woodland or Matt Fitz. Hopefully the Irish lads go well.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Really hard to look past Either Brooks, DJ or JT to get the win, outside chance to Hatton, Berger, Woodland or Matt Fitz. Hopefully the Irish lads go well.

I really like Koepka and McIlroy here. Lesser so Morikawa and massive odds Cameron Champ.

Obviously nobody has true course form but McIlroy won the WGC World Matchplay in 2015 on this course (albeit when in his peak of powers)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Obvious winner is going to be Tiger :p

• Advertisement

Lots of the top golfers teeing off around 4pm and no coverage until 6? Crazy stuff.

Looks like a big wind coming in around 9pm tonight so late starters will be in trouble.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 12,369 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Any streams showing actual golf?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

I'm watching a featured group here but they're on the 18th. Is sky starting live at 7?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Already excellent golf and great storylines developing.
    Where to hell has ZJ come from and how is he competing on this course!!

Tony Finau with another strong start, Day with a good start and Xander with the quick start.

Rory done very well to get it back to even, huge par save from Tiger to remain at 1 under and even Brooks had that huge bogey putt to keep his run going.

Wind starting to pick up as anticipated and the morning starters were always going to have better of it so may look like the winner will already come from the morning half. Big call already but I’ll say it will

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Day is one off the lead at -4 & they’ve not shown one of his birdies.

Sorry they just showed a shot of his.

2 major winners from the past going well zach and Kaymer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Where to hell has ZJ come from and how is he competing on this course!!

Are conditions similar to his masters win year. Much cooler, more temperate weather conditions.

Also, the rough looks vicious and hes more of a precision player.

Another blast from the past Kaymer looking good. All talk is this is a course for a fader of the ball, so would actually play to his strengths

Really enjoying having a Major on. No crowds is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

One thing I've noticed about the lack of crowds since the restart is the amount of F bombs being dropped by the players :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,369 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

It's nice when the commentators know to shut up. Get to hear Tiger and Rory chatting

• Advertisement

Course is a little meh is the only small negative for me, but still nice to be watching a major

AdamD wrote: »
    It's nice when the commentators know to shut up. Get to hear Tiger and Rory chatting

Notorious in America for talking while players and caddies are but they are starting to shut up a little after countless complaints and lots of abuse from the big podcasts such as no laying up. They just constantly abuse CBS coverage which is abysmal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Is Lowry playing in this?

Some head scratching strategy from Rory on 7. Lowry barely getting shown unfortunately.

“There’s no reason to be scientific”

Guess who the quote is from??!! :) he couldn’t keep the smirk off his face this time though.

Very solid 68 from Tiger. His distance control with his irons is just phenomenal.

Okayish 70 from Rory. Just too many fairways missed in his back nine and a few poor putts cost him a much better round. Certainly not out of it but I think there is just too much quality ahead of him now

Poor Rich Beem won't be making the cut this year +10

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Is there 2 Zach Johnson’s playing ?

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Is there 2 Zach Johnson’s playing ?

Ya, one is one of the pga club people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Bryson smashes his driver, no replacement allowed:D

or maybe natural breakage and he is ok

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,950 ✭✭✭bren2001

Happy4all wrote: »
    Bryson smashes his driver, no replacement allowed:D

or maybe natural breakage and he is ok

Shaft can be replaced. That's a relatively new rule isn't it?

Advertisement