Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

England vs Ireland ODI Series 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,824 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Huge over. Willey was poor there. Get 9 or 10 here it’s almost in the bag. Almost be run a ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Tector is talented but inexperienced. Need O’Brien to get us over the line.

Huge shot, it’s ON !

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

8 off the last over, come on!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,072 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Me nerves!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Dytalus

I am very uncomfortable with how close this is.

3 from 4 with a free hit come on haha

get in!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,366 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Oh christ this is tight

Yes!

• Advertisement

job done. great win!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,072 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Yes boy

Pity there's no crowd there

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,381 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Well done Ireland - thoroughly deserved win

Hopefully England will realise they don't have enough Yorkshiremen in the team!!

Deserved. Fantastic. What an entertaining game.. victorious by seven wickets and chased down 329 ! Superb , beating the world champions in their back yard. One ball to spare, brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Dytalus

Well done, Ireland! What a finish, some brilliant cricket in that game.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Enjoyed that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Brilliant stuff. Very well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Great end to the series. England have a pretty toothless bowling attack after the first few overs and some poor fielding near the end too.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Always looked likely when Kevin O'Brien was in, cool as a breeze, experienced finisher. The 2nd wicket stand must be the best one ever, in terms of runs and quality of opposition, great performance, especially when it looked like a 400 chase at one stage, credit to the bowlers for keeping England to 328 on a road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Toeuptony

KevIRL wrote: »
    Brilliant stuff. Very well done.

I thought you might make an appearance here after that. I was looking at the OBO on The Guardian while watching the play off final, but thinking of your good self at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭blackcard

Great win, thought we were out of it when Willey got 50. Great run chase, kept the run rate in hand throughout the innings, Willey's no-ball ending up as a 9 was pivotal. I think I was more nervous than the players. This will live long in the memory. Thanks lads

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Fantastic win for Ireland. England were threatening a 400 score but Ireland took some key wickets at key times to restrict England to a chaseable score. Think everyone underestimated the wicket so Ireland played damn good to take 8.

Sterling and Balbirine were amazing, a hell of a 2nd wicket stand. Ireland were great and we have a damn good batsmen in the middle order. Great result and find it funny we have chased 328 to win!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Fantastic chasing that big score. Special by Stirling and Balbirnie. Series was gone but that salvages something and keeps interest and hope alive for the next cricket Ireland play whenever that is. Campher is the big positive of this series.

Willey man of the series is fair enough, bat and ball. England's bowling shown up to be short when Willey doesn't go bang bang with the swinging new ball. And even when Woakes, Archer and Wood come back, they still haven't replaced Plunkett.

Pity there isn't a T20 series.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Is1ldur

Great win, but it was far too close for comfort!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭blackcard

Is1ldur wrote: »

Agreed. Beating the world champions at home by only 7 wickets is really not good enough

blackcard wrote: »
    Agreed. Beating the world champions at home by only 7 wickets is really not good enough

This is one thing I don't fully understand about cricket, winning by 7 wickets sounds mighty impressive but it was really by one run on the very last ball!

Is1ldur wrote: »

Well chasing 329 was a fairly tough get to be fair, especially against this opposition.

Bit of an interesting stat... 329 was the exact score Ireland posted to chase down and defeat England in the 2011 World Cup in Bangalore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

siblers wrote: »
    This is one thing I don't fully understand about cricket, winning by 7 wickets sounds mighty impressive but it was really by one run on the very last ball!
    Winning on the last ball is a weird thing. Teams generally know where they want to be based on both wickets and run rate. Having 8 off a last over in ODI is pretty comfortable, especially against a team that's at probably half it's strength (which is still a scary strength to teams from 7-10 in the rankings). They always had it in hand apart from the two wickets falling quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Is1ldur

blackcard wrote: »

Well that's not what I mean mate. For it to get down to the second last ball with so many wickets in hand is what I am talking about. A great win, but it was so much closer than the 7 wickets suggests.

Advertisement