Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indoor construction

Options
  • 04-08-2020 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭

I'm wondering if anyone can help as to whether or not indoor construction is legal in Ireland at the moment and could point me somewhere that it's stated one way or another?

I feel like I'm being messed around by a company that was supposed to fix their error just before this whole thing started, they say they haven't been cleared yet to send their employees into people's houses, but yet I see indoor construction happening all around me with neighbours, shopping centers etc. The problem is that when I Google it, the only mention I can find is that it won't be included in phase one, we're obviously far past phase one, but as far I can tell it hasn't been mentioned again.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,558 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It's going to be down to the company's own policy/procedure. They owe a duty of care to their employees which trumps any customer obligations. If they are not happy to send people into houses that's an entirely reasonable position to take in the current circumstances.

Indeed it may well be they have to undertake some training, and/or may need someone to assess each job for potential issues, and many companies are probably competing for the same resource to handle these things

I think it's reasonable to say that companies will not want to turn away or delay business as it's hitting both top and bottom line

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭Nolimits

Beasty wrote: »
    It's going to be down to the company's own policy/procedure. They owe a duty of care to their employees which trumps any customer obligations. If they are not happy to send people into houses that's an entirely reasonable position to take in the current circumstances.

Indeed it may well be they have to undertake some training, and/or may need someone to assess each job for potential issues, and many companies are probably competing for the same resource to handle these things

I think it's reasonable to say that companies will not want to turn away or delay business as it's hitting both top and bottom line

In this case it's not turning away business, they installed a front door for me, it's paid for, but they ordered the door with the hinges/handle the wrong way around, they acknowledged their mistake and ordered a new one before coronavirus started. The frame around the door on the inside was never finished, didn't see the point as it wasn't finished the first day and if they'd finished it on the inside they would have had to take it all back off again.

They have assured me they have my replacement door, and generally have been good at replying to emails (although haven't replied to one I sent a week ago which was my first in a month), I'm just starting to get the feeling I'm being messed around, I only owe €200 on a job that cost a few grand, so I'm not in a position where refusing to pay would really impact them.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,558 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

They clearly acknowledge they have to fix it, but equally they are still in the position that they need to protect their staff first and foremost and there may be good reason they feel they cannot send anyone into houses at present (whatever any other business may be doing)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭Nolimits

Beasty wrote: »
    They clearly acknowledge they have to fix it, but equally they are still in the position that they need to protect their staff first and foremost and there may be good reason they feel they cannot send anyone into houses at present (whatever any other business may be doing)

Thanks, I do appreciate your input.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,281 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Id try to find out of they are currently taking on new indoor work at other properties and then go from there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement