Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8.5 hour work day

Options
  • 31-07-2020 2:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭

My hours that I am required to be at work are 8.5 hour per day. So am at work for 42.5 hours per week. Get paid for 8 hours per day - 40 per week.

Not sure about all but some of my colleagues work 8.5 hours also but leave 2.5 hours early on Friday. This is not an option for me as the client puts huge importance on being available until finishing time in case of emergencies.

My colleagues clients are not as strict so more power to them.

Don't want to ruin things for my colleagues but in terms of equality I was thinking of asking that I either be at work for 40 hours like them, maybe come in half hour later than I do now each day or that I get paid for 42.5 hours.

What does everyone think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,696 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

This disparity would likely be the unpaid 30 mins lunch? In accordance with the working time act you must be given a 30 minute lunch break after 6 hours worked. In addition to the 15 minutes break acquired with 4 hours work. However the 30 mins is not required to be paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

As above most people are required to be at work from 9 - 5.30, no one gets paid for their lunch and a lot of people work through it so they can get out on time...so what is your issue op?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

ELM327 wrote: »
    This disparity would likely be the unpaid 30 mins lunch? In accordance with the working time act you must be given a 30 minute lunch break after 6 hours worked. In addition to the 15 minutes break acquired with 4 hours work. However the 30 mins is not required to be paid.

Yes that's the disparity but my colleagues all get the same breaks but are present 40 hours because they leave 2.5 hours early on a Friday, whereas I am present 42.5 hours.

Yes that's the disparity but my colleagues all get the same breaks but are present 40 hours because they leave 2.5 hours early on a Friday, whereas I am present 42.5 hours.

You are "present" but presumably you are paid for working hours and not presenteeism.

As above most people are required to be at work from 9 - 5.30, no one gets paid for their lunch and a lot of people work through it so they can get out on time...so what is your issue op?

They work the same hours as me Monday to Thursday, same breaks etc . but I don't/can't leave early on a Friday like they do.

• Advertisement

You are "present" but presumably you are paid for working hours and not presenteeism.

Part of the job is being available to go into action when emergencies pop up so being available and keeping an eye on emails is part of the job.

I had all my work done by 1pm today but still have to stay in case of emergencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Not sure about all but some of my colleagues work 8.5 hours also but leave 2.5 hours early on Friday. ?

A POETS day on Friday is usually discretionary by the manager and agreed in advance. The hours are also usually covered by informal overtime during the week.

As you are client facing and probably working to a contract or statement of works unfortunately you lose out on the opportunity.

Part of the job is being available to go into action when emergencies pop up so being available and keeping an eye on emails is part of the job.

I had all my work done by 1pm today but still have to stay in case of emergencies.

I mean, I understand it must be frustrating but there must be something different to your job to remove the ability to leave early.

krissovo wrote: »
    A POETS day on Friday is usually discretionary by the manager and agreed in advance. The hours are also usually covered by informal overtime during the week.

As you are client facing and probably working to a contract or statement of works unfortunately you lose out on the opportunity.

A few years ago we had a manager for the clients who would tell me to go about 2pm but keep my phone on until 4 in case of emergencies.

Perfect solution, sadly he is gone.

I mean, I understand it must be frustrating but there must be something different to your job to remove the ability to leave early.

My direct client is fussy about it as he may get a request to get something done urgently and needs someone available so fair enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Look this whole "being present" thing is nonsense. It sounds like you work a 37.5 hour week with an unpaid hour for lunch.
    If some of your colleagues are able to skive off for 2 hours on a Friday and still get paid it's because their workload permits it & yours doesn't. So, try to move out of the role/portfolio of clients you deal with when the opportunity arises. Til then, keep the head down and remember how lucky you are to have a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I remember working on a client site in central london and I was the only onsite resource, we were providing local IT services. Two years I had of working to 6pm on friday without ever getting a call on a Friday. The client office was empty apart from me and a security guard come 3pm. One day I thought I would chance sloping off at 4:30..... Well feck me come 5pm the backup tape machine in the server room decided to eat a load of the backup tapes and started a small fire. I was stuck in traffic when I got the call from security just past 5pm so turned around and speed back to the office to open up the server room for the fire brigade.

I worked there another year, and not one call on a Friday afternoon came and I never left early again.

antix80 wrote: »
    Look this whole "being present" thing is nonsense. It sounds like you work a 37.5 hour week with an unpaid hour for lunch.
    If some of your colleagues are able to skive off for 2 hours on a Friday and still get paid it's because their workload permits it & yours doesn't. So, try to move out of the role/portfolio of clients you deal with when the opportunity arises. Til then, keep the head down and remember how lucky you are to have a job.

Not about workload as I run my own schedule in terms of getting work done and I blitzed it Monday to Wednesday so will be available for anything extra late in the week. Swap the 37.5 for 40 and you are correct on your first point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Not about workload as I run my own schedule in terms of getting work done and I blitzed it Monday to Wednesday so will be available for anything extra late in the week. Swap the 37.5 for 40 and you are correct on your first point.

Workload just means assigned tasks. the task assigned to you is to be on hand until 5.30pm on friday. You can blitz though as much work as you like but as long as that client is yours you'll be there til 5.30.

I guess one solution is to cross-train someone else in dealing with the client so that it doesn't always fall to you. Can't see anyone volunteering. So your best bet is just trying to get rid of that client and do other work instead. There's a few ways to accomplish that - move internally being one.

This is the problem with direct customer facing/ops roles.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,986 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It’s unfair. If your contract is for 40 hours a week, do 40 hours and good luck to them.

Speak with management, tell them your concerns, that you can and would be flexible on request and indeed using initiative. However you are not prepared to routinely every week just do extra. A solution that could be with mentioning is that 30 minutes is taken off each shift, either a later start, or an earlier finish.

You are doing give or take 10 hours extra per month, without being paid. So basically a shift and a bit, you are giving them free. 120 hours per year, that’s 15 days, 120 hours of free labor. You need to sit down with this written out, and talk to them. They sound like a back alley operator, they in fact are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭Masala

Strumms wrote: »
    It’s unfair. If your contract is for 40 hours a week, do 40 hours and good luck to them.

Speak with management, tell them your concerns, that you can and would be flexible on request and indeed using initiative. However you are not prepared to routinely every week just do extra. A solution that could be with mentioning is that 30 minutes is taken off each shift, either a later start, or an earlier finish.

You are doing give or take 10 hours extra per month, without being paid. So basically a shift and a bit, you are giving them free. 120 hours per year, that’s 15 days, 120 hours of free labor. You need to sit down with this written out, and talk to them. They sound like a back alley operator, they in fact are.

Workers in the same company can have different terms..... yours is set out as 9.00 to 05.30pm (42.5 hrs) and they have allowed you 2 x 15 min breaks and a 30 min hunch (all unpaid)..... So in effect you are working 37.5 hrs on the job. The company is legally obliged to give you these breaks - so you can not 'select' to forgo these and go home at 4.30pm each day instead. So - they paying you 39 hrs for 37.5 hrs work..... so you are actually up!

Plenty of people get paid for their breaks. Plenty of people don't work extras for free.

Yes, I know plenty do as well and there's always that busy period, but that doesn't mean we should just shrug it off and accept it.

Your pay is based on a 40 hour week or 39 or whatever. If others are doing 40 and you are doing more, it should be recognised in some way.

Masala wrote: »
    Workers in the same company can have different terms..... yours is set out as 9.00 to 05.30pm (42.5 hrs) and they have allowed you 2 x 15 min breaks and a 30 min hunch (all unpaid)..... So in effect you are working 37.5 hrs on the job. The company is legally obliged to give you these breaks - so you can not 'select' to forgo these and go home at 4.30pm each day instead. So - they paying you 39 hrs for 37.5 hrs work..... so you are actually up!

It’s possible alright but in my experience unusual... shifts, responsibilities etc can differ but the policy of employment should be the same. Only one company handbook and rules etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

The extra hours are indisputable. Its cut and dry

I would look for an increase to pay those extra hours rather than a later start. You are already doing those hours. You might as well get paid for them.
    I would suggest both options though as anything would be an improvement.
    And since those extra clients are deemed important you have leverage.

You shouldn't need it if fair was fair but you have it anyway.

First thing Monday morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭joeguevara

What does your contract say about your work hours, breaks and pay. If it’s what you are doing then you have no basis of complaint. If it’s not stated then you might. For what it’s worth people negotiate finishing early. That is their perk.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭hs5424

Don't feel to hard done by.
    I am self employed for the past 38 years and work about 60 hours a week. I get paid for about 20 hours a week and am available, if I get a call during Sunday dinner. Yesterday for example I did two house calls which involved basically pressing a few buttons in one house and going up on the roof in the next one for a few minutes. I could not charge for these calls, that is if I wanted to retain these good customers on my client list. So yesterday for example was a zero revenue day for me.
    Never mind what hours the other guys work. The bottom line is , do you enjoy your work. If you do you will still be there like me after 38 years.
    By the way, my private pension which I paid into for 25 years went down Swanee River also.

hs5424 wrote: »
    my private pension which I paid into for 25 years went down Swanee River also.

Completely? Surely it crashed but still existed and has grown again?

Completely? Surely it crashed but still existed and has grown again?

I wish.

hs5424 wrote: »
    Don't feel to hard done by.
    I am self employed for the past 38 years and work about 60 hours a week. I get paid for about 20 hours a week and am available, if I get a call during Sunday dinner. Yesterday for example I did two house calls which involved basically pressing a few buttons in one house and going up on the roof in the next one for a few minutes. I could not charge for these calls, that is if I wanted to retain these good customers on my client list. So yesterday for example was a zero revenue day for me.
    Never mind what hours the other guys work. The bottom line is , do you enjoy your work. If you do you will still be there like me after 38 years.
    By the way, my private pension which I paid into for 25 years went down Swanee River also.

I do like my job. Not sure about enjoying it but as jobs go it is good. Lots in independence, no one breathing down my neck, trusted to do the work and keep the client happy.

I'm not begrudging my colleagues for getting off early but seeing as the nature of my job requires me to be there for 42.5 hours and they only 40 I should be compensated for that extra commitment.

There will be changes to our contract due to a large expansion later in the year and I may wait until then and make sure I get fairly treated when I am negotiating.

Thanks for all the input people :)

Best of luck later on in the year.
    If senior management know their job they will see your efforts and reward you accordingly. If you were leaving the co. they would have to put on their thinking caps and ask themselves the question, who is going to step into your job. ???????. You would probably get a better offer to remain with the co. at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Self employed

Try 12 to 15 hours a day for a few weeks and see how you are mentally and physically after that

Self employed

Try 12 to 15 hours a day for a few weeks and see how you are mentally and physically after that

Self employed is a different scenario. You have a choice to either do the extra hours or not. You can choose to reward yourself with extra pay, or not.

Problem is here, the OP has no choice, is doing the extra but not being compensated for doing extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,810 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Strumms wrote: »
    Self employed is a different scenario. You have a choice to either do the extra hours or not. You can choose to reward yourself with extra pay, or not.

Problem is here, the OP has no choice, is doing the extra but not being compensated for doing extra.

The OP is not doing extra work. Their colleagues are simply getting away with doing less. No need to screw things up for them.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

antix80 wrote: »
    Til then, keep the head down and remember how lucky you are to have a job.
    This is a very sad attitude to have.

You only have a limited amount of hours in your day OP. They're yours to do with as you please, but if you're giving away hundreds of free hours, that devalues you; it's clear from your post that you recognise that. It's not about your colleagues and their time, it's about your time and it's being wasted.

First thing I would do is spend a bit of that time to make out a CV. Look at jobs that you think are above your current pay grade and then apply for them. Tailor your application for each one so that you point out all your demonstrable strengths and prove you're the ideal candidate for the job... give them no other choice but you. If you have a bit of experience you'll get at least a few interviews.

Next, most interviews come with a checklist. Sometimes they're even kind enough to hand them to you but for some organisations, it'll be trickier to track them down. If you know somebody in the organisation or who was successful during a similar hiring campaign, ask for their help with ascertaining the criteria they're looking to fulfil.

Now that you have an idea of the kind of questions, write them out and fill pages with examples of work that you've done which shows your competency beyond any doubt.

When you have the leverage of a position waiting for you, you can negotiate from a position of strength. Be indispensable! Or if you prefer, you can jump ship. That kind of ambitiousness is great for your finances, your career and gives a huge ego boost. Based on the grafting you're doing, it sounds like you deserve it.

Advertisement