Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part V - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

skelly22 wrote: »
    You'd imagine it would be a tough sell but by the time it's enforced most people will be doing it anyway. Many already are and more everyday.
    Out of curiosity, where do you live? I see next to nobody wearing them outside - the few that I have are likely to be wearing them on the way to their supermarket or possibly have underlying complications.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

That's a slippery slope where will it end?

What other freedoms will you give up for the greater good?

At what point will you stop and think for yourself is this actually necessary?

Or will you just continue to follow the advice from NPHET, HSE and the government without questioning it?

Oh right I get you now. It`s all part of an evil government plot to impose a totalitarian state. Your agenda is becoming very clear now.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭skelly22

ixoy wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, where do you live? I see next to nobody wearing them outside - the few that I have are likely to be wearing them on the way to their supermarket or possibly have underlying complications.

I live in a touristic seaside town & couldn't believe about 30% of people were wearing masks outdoors yesterday. I really don't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,286 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Which people are you referring to? Nobody I know is at breaking point or even close to it.

Yeah your attitude is obvious, Im alright jack, I have netflix, whats the big deal.

Staggering lack of foresight for whats ahead when the bill needs to be paid and lack of consideration for those that have already suffered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

Oh right I get you now. It`s all part of an evil government plot to impose a totalitarian state. Your agenda is becoming very clear now.

Hahaha yeah you've got in one well done.

Crazy to think that expressing a different opinion means you have some kind of agenda can we not question things anymore?

Or are we just supposed to shut up and follow every bit of advice and guidance issued by NPHET, HSE and the government?

• Advertisement

That's a slippery slope where will it end?

What other freedoms will you give up for the greater good?

At what point will you stop and think for yourself is this actually necessary?

Or will you just continue to follow the advice from NPHET, HSE and the government without questioning it?

Excellent post. Pivotal points raised here.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,508 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I think it comes down a mixture of confusion over the exact requirements and a bit of safety and convenience.

For example, I has to walk to the local shop this morning. Only a two minute walk, I put the mask on as I left the house rather than keep it in my pocket and put it on when I got there. I know I don't need it walking down the (empty) street but it simply easier.

Then, if you are in a busy area, you have no idea who you are going to pass by and whether there will be enough room, so easier to simply keep it on.

There is no harm in it, I would would much prefer to have too many people wearing them outside that too few inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Which people are you referring to? Nobody I know is at breaking point or even close to it.

Seconded, people are a bit bored with it is all I'm finding, they also understand it's about keeping as many people as possible as healthy as possible, I don't understand the reactionaries who feel it's some big plot to oppress them, wearing a mask sometimes and washing your hands more isn't all that oppressive.

Excellent post. Pivotal points raised here.

Really, based on what? What points in particular do you thnk are pivotal?

Freedoms. We all give up freedoms for the greater good. Wearing a mask seems pretty low on that scale.

Stop and think. Absolutely. Everyone should do that. I certainly don't just blindly accept that I am told. But evidence from across the globe suggests that this is the correct course of action.

I will follow the advice from experts unless I have a clear knowledge of it being wrong. We all do it, everyday. I trust the expect pilot to fly the plane rather than some randomer that read about it on the internet for example.

I would hire an electrician to rewire my house, not some dude I met in the pub that had once changed a light bulb. Experts are, actually a good thing. They know what they are talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,143 ✭✭✭prunudo

Hahaha yeah you've got in one well done.

Crazy to think that expressing a different opinion means you have some kind of agenda can we not question things anymore?

Or are we just supposed to shut up and follow every bit of advice and guidance issued by NPHET, HSE and the government?

I've seen it time and time again on numerous threads and facebook comments since covid began. If you dare to question policy or why we are being made to do something you're automatically a tinfoil hat wearing anti vaxxer conspiracy theorist.

• Advertisement

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Ah, ok. So it's not the mask as such, it is the fear of being controlled.

You assume that I haven't questioned it, not sure on what you are basing that on. Have you questioned it, how? DO you have qualifications in the area of infectious diseases? Have you looked through the research on this and other similar viruses such as SARS?

They are the experts, and not only them but we can see it across every country in the world. Even common sense would point to a mask is a way to reduce the spread of droplets. I mean, you believe in raincoats? You believe in umbrellas?

As a society, we need to adjust to the risks that we face. If we were under attack militarily, I would expect that our military leaders would be involved in making the decisions.

I listen to doctors when I am sick. When they say that I need to stay home from work I don't see that as they trying to limit my freedom, I see it as both a requirement to rest and recover for myself but also to reduce the chance o spreading whatever illness I have to others.

You only need to look at the US to see how not adhering to the use of masks and restrictions is not the way to go.

I'm no expert but we need to be paying attention to opinions of other experts about this situation but because they don't suit the narrative that is being pushed they are often ignored.

For example

Fairly certain this man is highly qualified to talk about this issue see his credentials below.

So tell me this; is this man wrong?

Even though most will complain and say I'm not watching an hour and half long YouTube video but those same people will gladly waste an hour everyday watching the doom and gloom news that is being peddled by RTE news on a daily basis.

The old saying of you can bring a horse to water but can make him drink springs to mind.

Beda M. Stadler, former Director of the University Institute of Immunology at the Insel Hospital in Bern, is emerited professor of Immunology from the Medical Faculty of the University of Bern. His major research interests were in basic research in the field of allergy and autoimmunity as well as applied research in the field of immunology.

As Vice President of the Commission for Technology and Innovation (CTI) Federal Department of Economic Affairs, Education and Research EAER Switzerland he was heading the life science team and was a member of the CTI Start-up & Entrepreneurship label board.

During his career he liked to express his scientific and rational views in public as a frequent guest speaker and columnist for various print

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

pm1977x wrote: »
    Seconded, people are a bit bored with it is all I'm finding, they also understand it's about keeping as many people as possible as healthy as possible, I don't understand the reactionaries who feel it's some big plot to oppress them, wearing a mask sometimes and washing your hands more isn't all that oppressive.

Anything such people claim should not be taken at face value. There is nearly always another motive behind their comments. This forum seems to be populated by a fair few such characters.

Freedoms. We all give up freedoms for the greater good. Wearing a mask seems pretty low on that scale.

Stop and think. Absolutely. Everyone should do that. I certainly don't just blindly accept that I am told. But evidence from across the globe suggests that this is the correct course of action.

I will follow the advice from experts unless I have a clear knowledge of it being wrong. We all do it, everyday. I trust the expect pilot to fly the plane rather than some randomer that read about it on the internet for example.

I would hire an electrician to rewire my house, not some dude I met in the pub that had once changed a light bulb. Experts are, actually a good thing. They know what they are talking about.

Like I said, all the points raised were pivotal. Some people give them less importance than others. You will not convince me that wearing a mask each time I open my front door is for the "greater good".

• Registered Users Posts: 32,217 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Like I said, all the points raised were pivotal. Some people give them less importance than others. You will not convince me that wearing a mask each time I open my front door is for the "greater good".
    I don't think anyone is asking you to wear a mask each time you open your front door....

Why do you think people are being asked to wear masks in confined spaces where social distancing is not possible? Your saying it's not for the "greater good" then what is it for?

I will follow the advice from experts unless I have a clear knowledge of it being wrong.

Experts are, actually a good thing. They know what they are talking about.

This is the crux of the issue for me we only seem to be listening to certain experts and not others that are just as qualified to speak on the issue.

Take a step back for a minute and ask yourself why is that?

Is it because one is more is more qualified than the other or is it because that expert is supporting the narrative that is being pushed at the moment and the other expert isn't?

I'm going to go with the latter.

I'm no expert but we need to be paying attention to opinions of other experts about this situation but because they don't suit the narrative that is being pushed they are often ignored.

That would suggest that you misunderstand experts and science. Within any area, there are always going to be dissenting views. In fact, that is how progress is made, by people asking questions about the consensus.

But questioning does not make it wrong. We only have to look at the real-world evidence to see that lockdown works. That masks reduce the spread. We know masks work because doctors and nurses, dentists etc have been using them for years.

Nobody questioned them before. But suddenly all sorts of concerns about masks are being raised.

Any person is free to make whatever claims they like. But they need to back them up with evidence to be more than just an opinion. Of course, with this being a new virus, lots of what is being discussed is actually not based on this fact virus but on the evidence of other outbreaks and expectations, based on previous knowledge, of what may happen. The virus could prove to be completely different and thus the plans turn out to be wrong. But without anything else on which to base decisions, knowledge of past events is the best option they have until more is known.

prunudo wrote: »
    I've seen it time and time again on numerous threads and facebook comments since covid began. If you dare to question policy or why we are being made to do something you're automatically a tinfoil hat wearing anti vaxxer conspiracy theorist.

Yes and the irony is that those accusing you of such are masked up the hilt and looking out at you through a head visor.

This is the crux of the issue for me we only seem to be listening to certain experts and not others that are just as qualified to speak on the issue.

Take a step back for a minute and ask yourself why is that?

Is it because one is more is more qualified than the other or is it because that expert is supporting the narrative that is being pushed at the moment and the other expert isn't?

I'm going to go with the latter.

Fine, but you are doing that based on nothing more than a hunch. You have no evidence for this. For every expert, you can put up claiming it is all wrong, they are more that will say it is the best way to go.

And the facts are staring you in the face. Across the world those countries that following the advice did better. The US being a perfect example of the differents effects. So even without experts how do you account for that?

gmisk wrote: »
    I don't think anyone is asking you to wear a mask each time you open your front door....

Why do you think people are being asked to wear masks in confined spaces where social distancing is not possible? Your saying it's not for the "greater good" then what is it for?

I said I don't think wearing a mask each time I open my front door is for the "greater good". I didn't say I had an explanation for it. There is no explanation.

On your first point - not yet.

Anything such people claim should not be taken at face value. There is nearly always another motive behind their comments. This forum seems to be populated by a fair few such characters.

Agreed, the initial thread started out as a balanced discussion on the merits or otherwise of relaxing restrictions but very quickly the moderate voices were shouted down and bullied out of it by people who were hellbent on opening up ASAP, no questions asked, all precautions out the window.

It's very strange to be so completely blinkered, I used to lurk in here as I'm admittedly very conservative on the topic and wanted to read differing opinions, but it quickly became an aggressive echo chamber.

• Advertisement

Well, that is a pretty poor attitude to have.

You have already decided your position and nothing will change it.

But ask yourself these questions.
    Are you 100% certain that you or anyone in your household will never get the virus?
    Do you know that the person calling to your door is immune?
    Do you believe that masks can reduce the spread of droplets and thus reduce the possible spread of the virus?

Unless you can answer, with 100% certainty Yes to the 1st 2 and No to the third then your position is very much open to being wrong.

That is not to say it is, but you must accept that there is a risk. So by extension, you are saying that it is a risk you are willing to take, without asking the other person first.

Well as long as you are ok then?

My father in law sat in a house on his own for 2 months with just a tesco delivery arriving every week. We go to visit him every week now but that is mainly the only face to face contact he gets. Previously he would have headed down to the pub one or two days and got chatting. Thats gone for him now. I've literally seen the hope disappear from his face each week.

There are plenty of people who have been unemployed for months now! Anyone working in a pub/club or the entertainment industry is not having a great time. Tourism industry also.

I know plenty of people that are really struggling with working from home 40 hours a week while trying to occupy the kids.

Plenty of young people are not settled down with families of their own. Socializing is a huge part of their lives. I would have gone mad with this if I was in my 20's still.

But as long as things are ok for you and yours, that is all that matters. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

OK, but if it for your, and other peoples safety? Just seems an odd position to take.

I mean I totally get the reluctance. It feels odd, can be uncomfortable, makes one feel self-conscious and, frankly, is weird.

But if it means that society can reopen more than without then I am all for it.

But that's not what's happening in other countries. In some countries mask wearing is strictly enforced and yet they are seeing restrictions being reimposed.

Perhaps it's not so much a breaking point as a creeping laissez-faire. At this point I don't see any young people being wary of the virus anymore. And that's just young people.

I live in a touristic seaside town & couldn't believe about 30% of people were wearing masks outdoors yesterday. I really don't get it.

Maybe there's a sanatorium nearby. They're popular in seaside towns.

Well as long as you are ok then?

My father in law sat in a house on his own for 2 months with just a tesco delivery arriving every week. We go to visit him every week now but that is mainly the only face to face contact he gets. Previously he would have headed down to the pub one or two days and got chatting. Thats gone for him now. I've literally seen the hope disappear from his face each week.

There are plenty of people who have been unemployed for months now! Anyone working in a pub/club or the entertainment industry is not having a great time. Tourism industry also.

I know plenty of people that are really struggling with working from home 40 hours a week while trying to occupy the kids.

Plenty of young people are not settled down with families of their own. Socializing is a huge part of their lives. I would have gone mad with this if I was in my 20's still.

But as long as things are ok for you and yours, that is all that matters. :rolleyes:

The alternative is to say everyone go ahead and do what you want, the result being instead of increased loneliness or social isolation an increase risk of death, I know which I'd choose.

I know many young people in their 20s who have adapted by face timing, zoom quizzes, movie watch parties, etc...they are the online generation and were able to cope, now they're all out meeting up again (not always safely) but the face to face thing is back, even if sometimes behind a mask.

Fine, but you are doing that based on nothing more than a hunch. You have no evidence for this. For every expert, you can put up claiming it is all wrong, they are more that will say it is the best way to go.

And the facts are staring you in the face. Across the world those countries that following the advice did better. The US being a perfect example of the differents effects. So even without experts how do you account for that?

I'm not basing it on a hunch if you bothered to even read my previous post the man that was interviewed has a PHD in immunology so does that mean his thoughts on herd immunity are complete bollox and we shouldn't listen to him and the evidence that he has provided?

People keeping banging on about the US if you opened your eyes and looked at the stats such as deaths per million of the population you'd see that the US is not much worse off than Spain or France?

US deaths per 1 million of population: 469
    Spain deaths per 1 million of population: 608
    France deaths per 1 million of population: 463

Are you still going to tell me that Spain and France followed "the advice" and therefore they are doing better than the US?

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/?utm_campaign=homeAdvegas1?

pm1977x wrote: »
    Agreed, the initial thread started out as a balanced discussion on the merits or otherwise of relaxing restrictions but very quickly the moderate voices were shouted down and bullied out of it by people who were hellbent on opening up ASAP, no questions asked, all precautions out the window.

It's very strange to be so completely blinkered, I used to lurk in here as I'm admittedly very conservative on the topic and wanted to read differing opinions, but it quickly became an aggressive echo chamber.

Actually, it seems to have veered back in that direction recently. If you look back on the thread, and I have, there were an awful lot of WUMs who, thankfully, seem to have become bored of the thread.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

US deaths per 1 million of population: 469
    Spain deaths per 1 million of population: 608
    France deaths per 1 million of population: 463

Is the reporting basis the same?

Genuine question.

Does one country require covid to be a contributing cause of death while another reports all deaths of diagnosed persons.

Do all countries report nursing home deaths or just hospital deaths. Does one or more countries wait for a death to be filed and allow 6 months for this before reporting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Well, that is a pretty poor attitude to have.

You have already decided your position and nothing will change it.

But ask yourself these questions.
    Are you 100% certain that you or anyone in your household will never get the virus?
    Do you know that the person calling to your door is immune?
    Do you believe that masks can reduce the spread of droplets and thus reduce the possible spread of the virus?

Unless you can answer, with 100% certainty Yes to the 1st 2 and No to the third then your position is very much open to being wrong.

That is not to say it is, but you must accept that there is a risk. So by extension, you are saying that it is a risk you are willing to take, without asking the other person first.
    You seem to be taking this to wild extremes and furiously overthinking it all. The poster did refer to going out their front door, there's absolutely no logic that can lead you to believe they will not follow public health guidance where it has been given.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement