Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Denis Villeneuve’s Dune

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Every pic there looks fantastic.

Yeah it looks great, I would say that a trailer is imminent & that by the looks of things, they will probably not hold it back due to the virus.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The way things are going it could end up being the first properly Big blockbuster movie. Though IIRC some July releases are still tentatively on such as Wonder Woman 1984. Suppose we'll see.

I'd like to see those Atreides design in motion. They're very cold yet stylish, but I can see it suiting what looks like an equally cold and stylish Caladan. Fremen look about right, no real room for flourishes there. Tomorrow's feature might focus on the Harkonnen; presumably they won't be as flamboyant as Lynch's vision. Fewer leather Speedos I imagine ;)

I'm still not convinced the adaptation will have the nerve to maintain the use of "Jihad" to describe Paul's war. The word has become way too incendiary since the 60s. Though that'll be a few films down the track; wouldn't say it'd come up til Film #3, assuming half a book per film.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

That's actually a good point. I wonder will this actually have a positive impact on the takings of this movie. So many films are rescheduling for next year that there may be a dearth of movies come the end of the year. I mean I haven't heard a peep about Nolan's Tenet in ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,952 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

pixelburp wrote: »
    Tomorrow's feature might focus on the Harkonnen; presumably they won't be as flamboyant as Lynch's vision. Fewer leather Speedos I imagine ;)

Which is a pity, cos I can't see the Harkonnen any other way now. :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That's actually a good point. I wonder will this actually have a positive impact on the takings of this movie. So many films are rescheduling for next year that there may be a dearth of movies come the end of the year. I mean I haven't heard a peep about Nolan's Tenet in ages.

It's a weird one. There's also the real possibility half the cinemas won't exist when lockdown ends (IIRC one chain in America is already bust). Obviously divorced of the human cost, Corona leaves studios holding a bunch of big ticket movies and a much reduced market to push them into - domestic and international. It could swing both ways I guess: a desperate audience who'll watch anything just to get out of the house, or an audience so used to home entertainment and nervous about stepping into a gross cinema.

Even if the lockdown ends in May it'll be scaled and cinemas will likely stay "non essential" in my view...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Yeah, it currently has a December 18 release date (Perfect Oscar-baiting timing). so things should be getting someway back to normal by then but yeah, it will be interesting to see what movie releases will be like in a post-C19 world. I mean it's hard to call:
    • People have predicted the death of cinemas since TV came out but will this be the final nail in the coffin?
    • Netflix, Amazon Prime and HBO in the US have being investing heavily in heavyweight drama movies. Stuff that doesn't necessarily NEED to be seen in the cinema (Or too impractical to be shown as a mainstream release due to time etc. Like The Irishman. I know it got released but limited and only really to qualify it for awards)
    • Will this mean that more low-key thrillers/horrors/animation be released for home streaming platforms leaving stuff that must be seen on the biggest screen or biggest crowd be sent to the cinema: Sci-Fi/superhero/Fantasy or action or big comedy releases.
    • Will studios hesitate releasing mega-blockbusters that NEED a billion dollars to break-even? Think of the next phase of Marvel movies or James Cameron's Avatar sequels.
    • What about the tone of future movies in the next 5 years or so (Not counting movies currently at some phase of production). Will they go more towards comedy or action to lift our spirits? Or will they go doom and gloom to reflect our brave new world?

Maybe not the right thread for this but will be interesting to see how this does. It's a BIG ask: A hot director but not not exactly famous like Cameron or Scott or even The Russo Brothers ("From the directors of Avengers Endgame, Avengers Infinity Wars" rightly or wrongly rings a lot more bells in the public than "From the director of Arrival and Baderunner 2049"). It is based on a Sci-Fi book with a huge following but not exactly pew-pew laser-gun Space-Opera.

And it's costing.... a.... LOT.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,503 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I'm trying to find the extended edition made by fans online here it's very good. Brian Eno and Toto what a pairing savage soundtrack

The spicediver edit? 3hr mix of TV and cinema cuts?
    If you can't find it, shout ;)

banie01 wrote: »
    The spicediver edit? 3hr mix of TV and cinema cuts?
    If you can't find it, shout ;)

How good a fan edit are talking here? Rough footage mashed together or a proper remaster by fans? Presumably not on a par with something like Yarmys Star Wars demake?

How good a fan edit are talking here? Rough footage mashed together or a proper remaster by fans? Presumably not on a par with something like Yarmys Star Wars demake?

It is a great attempt at pulling together, the cinema release, the TV cut, and the deleted scenes into a far more cogent story IMO.
    Proper remaster that Garner's plenty of fan praise too.

It is a great attempt at pulling together, the cinema release, the TV cut, and the deleted scenes into a far more cogent story IMO.
    Proper remaster that Garner's plenty of fan praise too.

Right, pulling together -but is it a remaster ala Yarmy? Have they tried to fix or clean the picture from the various original sources, or is it just a raw edit?

• Advertisement

Right, pulling together -but is it a remaster ala Yarmy? Have they tried to fix or clean the picture from the various original sources, or is it just a raw edit?

It's a while since I've watched, so I'm not 100% on that.

It's a while since I've watched, so I'm not 100% on that.

I'm going to watch it again this evening and will let you know how it looks.
    One thing that always struck me about Lynch's Dune tho is that I found it quite grainy and dark on top of the already muted palette.

I went on a Google safari to try and find if it was an improved quality image, no joy.
    But what culture lists it as the "best" fancut ;)
    https://whatculture.com/film/10-best-movie-fan-edits-of-all-time?page=11

This evening, has been bumped up to now.
    It's an SD cut

• Registered Users Posts: 18,952 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

If it's the version I watched a few years ago on YouTube, it starts off with a voiceover (that replaces Virginia Madsen's floating head in the original) and painted stills that explains the universe and it's separate groups, like the Mentats, Bene Gesserit and so on. The we get to the film proper. The extra TV stuff and deleted scenes were pretty well integrated into the extended version of the DVD, IIRC. it ran for over 3 hours. There's little of the character voice overs left and some scenes were switched around too.

It looked seamless enough, but YouTube is no way to judge picture quality and in the end it didn't really make the film any better.

Tony EH wrote: »
    If it's the version I watched a few years ago on YouTube, it starts off with a voiceover (that replaces Virginia Madsen's floating head in the original) and painted stills that explains the universe and it's separate groups, like the Mentats, Bene Gesserit and so on. The we get to the film proper. The extra TV stuff and deleted scenes were pretty well integrated into the extended version of the DVD, IIRC. it ran for over 3 hours. There's little of the character voice overs left and some scenes were switched around too.

It looked seamless enough, but YouTube is no way to judge picture quality and in the end it didn't really make the film any better.

That's the V2 version I think, this is the "final" V3 cut and goes back to Virginia and the voiceover.
    Some other changes too , like extending the Emperor and navigator scene and the great house intros.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

where does one ge/download this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

where does one ge/download this ?

https://www.reddit.com/r/dune/comments/8zf7g9/dune_1984_fan_edits_and_alan_smithee_cut/

Links are dead but it will give you somewhere to start

a ha i remember the one with paintings was on youtube...though some of the extra footage was grainy ?

yeah i found it on pirate bay

If anyone is still after it, I'm happy to share a OneDrive link for a day or 2 to allow people get hold of the V3 version?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

If anyone is still after it, I'm happy to share a OneDrive link for a day or 2 to allow people get hold of the V3 version?

Can you send mw the link pl in private I don't want to get the thread locked. I don't think I've seen v3 yet. Thanks.

• Advertisement

Can you send mw the link pl in private I don't want to get the thread locked. I don't think I've seen v3 yet. Thanks.

I wouldn't dream of sharing anything like that on thread! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

So I watched the V3 alternative edition (thanks again banie01 for the link). It was very enjoyable, certainly a more coherent film than the original (although this is the first time I have watched Dune without being baked :) The deleted scenes were very interesting and I think really helped to flesh out the narrative much better (although I think I am in a minority of people who liked the voice overs). The fact that the new film is split into 2 gives me great confidence that it will be the definitive take on Dune. Hopefully it is successful and they make at least the rest of Herbert's novels into films.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

• Registered Users Posts: 15,317 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

peteeeed wrote: »

Class. I’d missed this but it reads very positively. Cannot wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Who in their right mind is going to go to the cinema to see inception?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,522 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Not Inception, but I'd definitely risk it if they were showing Interstellar in IMAX again.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,317 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Was wondering when this trailer would ever happen!

• Advertisement

Hadn't even occured these reruns of movies had trailers shown in the first place! I wonder will the trailer still appear concurrently online, would hope so

Advertisement