Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

My big one is the buzz in bustling town. Pints in the pub and general merriment.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

We've 150 days to go now. Half ways through the 200's :)
    95 days until Halloween.
    89 until the clocks go back. 89 days ago was roughly the 1st of May.
    We've the August weekend now and we'll hopefully have a few Christmas bits arriving in the shops to get to 100 days to go.

I know. I think to much about this.

This is the positivity we need in our lives. :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I have no merit in my thoughts but I have a funny feeling we are set for a very wintery wintery weather wise this year!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Loughc wrote: »
    Perhaps it will lead to a black market Santa Grotto....
    I'm a bit too old for Santa's Grotto, so I won't mind so long as we still have our Christmas lights!
    Neyite wrote: »
    But I might stock up a bit earlier than usual this year.
    I was thinking about the predicted Christmas pudding shortage, and might have to... make my own this year. :eek: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Loughc wrote: »
    I have no merit in my thoughts but I have a funny feeling we are set for a very wintery wintery weather wise this year!

I really hope so. I love proper winters. It has to be really cold. On the flip sides, I need my summers to be really hot. I was let down on the summer aspect this year :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Just this year!? :pac:

Posy wrote: »

The last 2 years have been amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 37,987 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

not sure why but kind of glad summer is near its end and were going back to nights where it gets darker earlier

Nothing better than a few pints of a dark evening esp in December (count the end of November too :D:D). Personally at times can find it all a bit overwhelming and need to manage it this year. I know how tempting it is but getting blind drunk every night im out in December (the xmas songs playing doesnt help :D:D) is not the answer and not good for the head.

The attitude of this could be your last xmas always lingers on the mind and then 'ah sure it's christmas'

The start of lockdown was lovely. Otherwise it’s been meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,343 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

PTH2009 wrote: »
    not sure why but kind of glad summer is near its end and were going back to nights where it gets darker earlier

Not that I pay attention things. :D
    Approx times for Sunrise and Sunset.
    28th June
    Rise 05:14 Set 21:58
    Today
    Rise 05:50 Set 21:30
    28th August
    Rise 06:38 Set 20:29
    28th September
    Rise 07:30 Set 19:16
    28th October
    Rise 07:22 Set 17:11

• Advertisement

We're into the 140's!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,193 ✭✭✭✭DvB

We're into the 140's!

And Friday 2 weeks we're into the teens in weeks!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

I can't believe it's August on Saturday. It's fun such as fast, bizarre year.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,262 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

PTH2009 wrote: »

Nothing better than a few pints of a dark evening esp in December (count the end of November too :D:D). Personally at times can find it all a bit overwhelming and need to manage it this year. I know how tempting it is but getting blind drunk every night im out in December (the xmas songs playing doesnt help :D:D) is not the answer and not good for the head.

The attitude of this could be your last xmas always lingers on the mind and then 'ah sure it's christmas'

Pubs won't be the same this Christmas with social distancing, as earlier in the thread...no Christmas grottos for the kids. Grafton Street won't be its buzzing self either :(

Not that I'd be going. I just saw one of the big Christmas Panto's in Cork has been cancelled!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I'm a bit too old for Santa's Grotto, so I won't mind so long as we still have our Christmas lights!

I was thinking about the predicted Christmas pudding shortage, and might have to... make my own this year. :eek: :pac:

I don't think I could go to the trouble of making a pudding. Considering the one I buy every year gets chucked in the bin by February, but apparently we 'have to have pudding' :pac:
    If the damn thing was ate then maybe!

I can confirm that the client of ours that I spoke about previously has already met their quota in terms of Christmas pudding production and are well prepared if additional ones are required based on early season sales.

Thay actually start into their mince pies after the August bank holiday weekend.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I've started thinking about xmas a lot more this week- I suspect it'll be a more 'old fashioned' Christmas, with people staying home a lot more rather than partying out and about.

I officially started my Christmas shopping today :D books for the kiddies! I'm hoping this year they can join in more in the buzz, as last year they just stared at everyone in a mix of confusion and amusement as we all ooed and ahhed over them opening their presents

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭gidget

I've been wondering about the Argos Catalogue Autumn/Winter edition which should have been due out soon.

I was wondering if there would actually be a catalogue released given the current climate and if so how would the stores have handled it with regards to folk being able to wander in and pick up a copy from the display the way we normally would have done in happier times.

So i did a bit of digging and came across this article, it's a bit dated now as it was published on 11 May and the stores have now re-opened but i assume the message still applies to the catalogue

https://toyworldmag.co.uk/has-the-2020-argos-catalogue-been-cancelled/

It is a bit disappointing as i always love picking up a new edition and having a look through to see what catches my eye, but not surprised the way things are at the moment

• Advertisement

I saw an ad on for Argos and it said they've a huge new range of toys in stock!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,987 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I've started thinking about xmas a lot more this week- I suspect it'll be a more 'old fashioned' Christmas, with people staying home a lot more rather than partying out and about.

Hoping not

The royalties for Fairytale of new york could be low for aul shane this year

gidget wrote: »
    I've been wondering about the Argos Catalogue Autumn/Winter edition which should have been due out soon.

I was wondering if there would actually be a catalogue released given the current climate and if so how would the stores have handled it with regards to folk being able to wander in and pick up a copy from the display the way we normally would have done in happier times.

So i did a bit of digging and came across this article, it's a bit dated now as it was published on 11 May and the stores have now re-opened but i assume the message still applies to the catalogue

https://toyworldmag.co.uk/has-the-2020-argos-catalogue-been-cancelled/

It is a bit disappointing as i always love picking up a new edition and having a look through to see what catches my eye, but not surprised the way things are at the moment

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8574053/After-47-years-one-billion-copies-Argos-catalogue-online-only.html

its gone. And for good by the looks of it.

DvB wrote: »

Thats actually so sad. I spent hours as a kid going through that a circling what I wanted for Christmas.

Thats actually so sad. I spent hours as a kid going through that a circling what I wanted for Christmas.

Yep, used to love looking through it, though I vaguely remember it only being open in the 6 counties when I were a nipper & my dad picking up a copy in Newry for us to peruse (I could be wrong on that mind) We didnt have Smyths back then so the argos catalogue was a treasure trove of what we could ask santa to bring.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Ah, the Argos Catalogue reminds me of when I moved to Ireland and I bought a few basics there (hairdryer...) as their shop in Jervis was so handy.

Only last Christmas they made their Christmas advert all around the catalogue and circling the wish list.
    It seems ages ago now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭pigtail33

My mother used to get the Family Album catalogue when I was a child, and I always loved the Autumn/Winter version as there were pages of toys in it. The Argos catalogue was in a different league though! Although I was probably considered too old for toys when it started in Ireland, it didn't stop me looking at them.

I still would have picked it up and randomly browsed through it. When looking online, you have to know what you're looking for. With the printed version, you could just flick through it and spot something you'd never have thought of.

Apparently the first Argos stores opened in the Republic in 1996.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,601 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Their website is rubbish, there aren't enough filters and it takes ages to load. I would always look through the paper catalogue before looking for availability online. Sad that it's gone, I don't think it was a good move, personally.

• Advertisement

New Home wrote: »
    Their website is rubbish, there aren't enough filters and it takes ages to load. I would always look through the paper catalogue before looking for availability online. Sad that it's gone, I don't think it aas a goid move, personally.

My Mrs was only saying the same thing, the website is poor & search function isnt't as streamlined as you'd like & that a flick through the brochure was far easier, then just get the code & insert to see if in stock.

Another small change that the nostalgia freaks amongst us will mourn but many many more wont :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement