Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Electric Picnic 2021 - Cancelled :( **No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭rubick

Fatfrog wrote: »
    *** I mean how ****ing future were the FSOL!! Like Accelerator was 1991 waaay ahead of it's time.

Nice one! The thing I love about FSOL is that after Accelerator they could have went down the commercially lucrative 'Big Tunes' route, but stayed true to what they love, perfectly exemplified in ISDN and Lifeforms. Some of the physical copies are difficult to get these days, but if you can check out their From The Archives series, which is up to Vol. 9 - not many bands have tracks that 'didn't make the cut' but are still works of amazing quality. Most should be available via their own website (they aren't big on the old streaming platforms, only a few items on Spotify). They also have a series called Environments, up to part 6 with part 7 due this year, which are pure cinematic soundscape headphones fodder, just gorgeous work.

Also check out their work under the alias Amorphous Androgynous - a much anticpated (and delayed) double album We Persuade Ourselves We Are Immortal is scheduled for release late this year. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭endainoz

Was at the Susan O'Neil (SON) gig on Saturday, it was absolutely amazing. I know there's not a whole pile of competition, but it was the best gig I was at this year! Anyone who hasn't heard of her needs to see her live, you won't regret it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭dasdog

rubick wrote: »
    Hillage is indeed a key player in the colourful history of Orb collaborators, along with Miquette Giraudy! They toured as part of the 30th Anniversary of 'Adventures...' along with Youth and Gaudi - well worth picking up the Further Adventures Live 2016 album! features a gorgeous rendition of 'Star 6, 7, 8, 9'. I don't know much about their work with Gong, will investigate them, cheers! I know them more from System 7.

The Orb curated The Glade stage at Glastonbury (either 2016 or 2017), featured sets from System 7, Hillage and the mighty Ozric Tentacles, with of course The Orb to finish. A very messy and wonderfully weird Thursday evening!

Had a gleek at your list too mate - excellent call on 'My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts' - absolutely groundbreaking work. Without Byrne/Eno, there'd be no Negativland, without Negativland there'd be no JAMs/KLF, and without the KLF there'd be no The Orb!

The end result of the amalgamation was Eat Static - perfect timing being underground and somewhat krusty. Headlined Dance Valley in 1996.

Still playing festivals

Eat Static followed Squarepusher at The Glade, Glastonbury 2019! I was knackered after The Cure/Squarepusher combo so didn't stay but in fairness it was 2am on the Monday morning by the time he came on.

• Advertisement

I love the way all they are all intertwined - Steve Hillage, The Orb, System 7, Ozric Tentacles, Eat Static. They were so influential to an almost subculture.

I only saw the Ozrics once - a much underrated collective.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,350 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

dasdog wrote: »
    I love the way all they are all intertwined - Steve Hillage, The Orb, System 7, Ozric Tentacles, Eat Static. They were so influential to an almost subculture.

I only saw the Ozrics once - a much underrated collective.

Add Hawkwind, Gong and Here & Now to the Ozrics stable. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Add Hawkwind, Gong and Here & Now to the Ozrics stable. :)

For some reason I turned down the opportunity to see Gong and I've never seen Hawkwind - absolutely love the Lemmy years especially. I'll check out Here & Now.

Anyone listened to Fontaines new album yet? It's pretty decent but I feel it'll grow on me for sure. It's a little bit more low key when compared to Dogrel for me, but the lead singles are fantastic alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Musically it's quite good. Lyrically it's poor again, the repetition is even more grating on this album. Surely BIMM is churning out some lyricists too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

New music. Nicely done!

https://youtu.be/4YDXrPhMhSI

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Musically it's quite good. Lyrically it's poor again, the repetition is even more grating on this album. Surely BIMM is churning out some lyricists too?

Caught them at Forbidden Fruit last year and tbh they bored me as every song sounded the very same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Rfrip

I’ve learned a lot during this pandemic. A major one is I am absolutely no where near ready to give up on electric picnic. I’m going to be in my 70s and still attending tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭mimimcmc

endainoz wrote: »
    Was at the Susan O'Neil (SON) gig on Saturday, it was absolutely amazing. I know there's not a whole pile of competition, but it was the best gig I was at this year! Anyone who hasn't heard of her needs to see her live, you won't regret it.

She's great!
    Might spark peoples interest in her when they hear she's the girl from King Kong Company

I'd have to strongly disagree with that one, the lyrics they have written are the best I've heard in years, seriously thought provoking stuff. The repetition I may have agreed on with the likes of "is it too real for ya?" But it really grew on me, and so far it's the same for this album. I think it'll probably win every award going too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,459 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Does anyone know if you can walk around the grounds of Stradbally Hall or is it closed to the public? I've always thought it would be nice to go down there when the festival isn't on and have a bit of a trip down memory lane, it would be especially nice this year considering it isn't happening, but don't want to get down there and be limited to walking around the roads surrounding it.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭HarryTheSpider

I have thought about that before.

I know they do have events there (paintball, fishing, etc.), but I'm not sure about simply wandering about anywhere.

I actually looked into visiting Curraghmore House last week, but their website says they are closed to the public at the moment. I would imagine this would also be the case with Stradbally Hall, but their website has no mention.

I imagine they might even have some sort of increased security for the weekend the festival should have happened in case someone decides it might be fun to have a mini Rave In The Woods.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭HarryTheSpider

I'd say there would be a good few people that would pay a few quid to wander about/picnic.

It could be a little money earner (insurance permitting).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭nc6000

I see Michael Eavis is being quoted as saying Glastonbury 2021 might be wishful thinking. :(

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/glastonbury-festival-cancelled-founder-shares-22466123

I would be worried that unless we get some movement here on events with crowds it will be February or March 2021 before we know it and we'll be right back at where we started.

Does anyone know if you can walk around the grounds of Stradbally Hall or is it closed to the public? I've always thought it would be nice to go down there when the festival isn't on and have a bit of a trip down memory lane, it would be especially nice this year considering it isn't happening, but don't want to get down there and be limited to walking around the roads surrounding it.

Did you leave cans buried at the Main Stage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I was down there 2 weeks ago. Walked around the area, entered at the trout lake a few people were fishing, and walked up through the woods which would view directly out to the main area, but I didn't walk up there, instead walked around through the woods. I will be back down again in 2 weeks so will have a proper walk around then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

nc6000 wrote: »
    I see Michael Eavis is being quoted as saying Glastonbury 2021 might be wishful thinking. :(

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/glastonbury-festival-cancelled-founder-shares-22466123

I would be worried that unless we get some movement here on events with crowds it will be February or March 2021 before we know it and we'll be right back at where we started.

The Eavis family dont own all of the land used for the festival and rent from other land owners who apparently keep increasing their rates, Michael Eavis has said many times in the past they festival may not go ahead, but eventually does. I think hes setting the ground work to drive a hard bargain.

But this time around theres a legitimate concern, they'd normally have some headline acts booked at this stage, tickets usually go on sale in 2.5 months time. That's not going to happen, I suspect they'll push initial ticket sales into March at a minimum. Coachella also in the same boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Wooderson

"Just wishful thinking" - Mick E is only stating the obvious here. Its possible that an event like EP could -maybe- adapt and survive to go ahead next year. Would be utterly different to last year and IMO a grim experience. But an event of the scale of Glastonbury is just far too big to take the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Fatfrog wrote: »
    The Eavis family dont own all of the land used for the festival and rent from other land owners who apparently keep increasing their rates, Michael Eavis has said many times in the past they festival may not go ahead, but eventually does. I think hes setting the ground work to drive a hard bargain.

But this time around theres a legitimate concern, they'd normally have some headline acts booked at this stage, tickets usually go on sale in 2.5 months time. That's not going to happen, I suspect they'll push initial ticket sales into March at a minimum. Coachella also in the same boat.

All rolled tickets will be rolled again I'd imagine.

Wonder how many punters will put their tickets back in the pot? Fingers crossed anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Wonder how many punters will put their tickets back in the pot? Fingers crossed anyway.

None I know. Different if you'd shelled out £240 but a deposit of £50 most people can manage without if it allows them to get to Glasto.

May be very different when it comes to paying the balance next April.

One for the diary folks, across EP weekend - Patti Smith live broadcast.
    Was lucky enough to get in to the RTE tent for her pre-set preformance at ATN last year, this should be great!

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/patti-smith-year-of-the-monkey-virtual-concert-1039835/

EDIT - Jeez boys that's me up to three Boards.ie Stars now, is there a Gift Bag or commemorative mug coming my way?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

One for the diary folks, across EP weekend - Patti Smith live broadcast.
    Was lucky enough to get in to the RTE tent for her pre-set preformance at ATN last year, this should be great!

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/patti-smith-year-of-the-monkey-virtual-concert-1039835/

EDIT - Jeez boys that's me up to three Boards.ie Stars now, is there a Gift Bag or commemorative mug coming my way?

I kinda love her and she also wrecks my head. Make sense? Her (to me, mediocre) poetry and uber-earnestness gives me a headache but when she fires up Gloria, Horses or Frederick she's magnificent. EP 2012 was a bit special. As was the entire weekend.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    I kinda love her and she also wrecks my head. Make sense? Her (to me, mediocre) poetry and uber-earnestness gives me a headache but when she fires up Gloria, Horses or Frederick she's magnificent. EP 2012 was a bit special. As was the entire weekend.

Yes. Her enthusiasm to smash the global corporate order and the shirt and tie wearing stooges is great at a festival, less so when she played support in Kilmainham to Nick Cave on a Wednesday night to people who had just come off work in their shirts and ties from their corporate jobs!

• Advertisement

Yes. Her enthusiasm to smash the global corporate order and the shirt and tie wearing stooges is great at a festival, less so when she played support in Kilmainham to Nick Cave on a Wednesday night to people who had just come off work in their shirts and ties from their corporate jobs!

Spose people like to be reminded of their rebellious youth even though they "sold out" and "work for the man". Patti was one of the few highlights of ATN for me last year. Loved Gloria of course but her cover of beds are burning is amazing too. A truly underappreciated song in this part of the world.

Advertisement