Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market 2020 Part 2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

Was seemingly close to having an offer accepted, then investor came in with straight up cash and delivered the knockout blow.

It seems that everything is stacked against first time buyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭ElBastardo1

The_Brood wrote: »
    Was seemingly close to having an offer accepted, then investor came in with straight up cash and delivered the knockout blow.

It seems that everything is stacked against first time buyers.

That's ****e. very tough on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

awec wrote: »
    Amazon announced yesterday they are building a new building in D2 and creating another 1000 jobs here.

The post-covid world is not going to be as straightforward as you think.

That the post covid world will feature a booming Amazon is hardly any surprise to anyone considering the pandemic gives it a monopoly on a lot of people's spending.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

https://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/property-mortgages/house-prices-rose-slightly-in-may-despite-lockdown-limiting-sales-39372057.html

"The survey shows demand for loans for house purchase and consumer lending fell at the fastest rate in the history of the series and is the first marked decline in demand since the last quarter of 2011."

Thanks, interesting reading the Bank Lending Survey which I assume the article was based around.

Graham wrote: »
    Thanks, interesting reading the Bank Lending Survey which I assume the article was based around.

Thanks for that.

Interesting that not only did demand fall at a record fell, it fell literally as far as it possibly can on these measures.

So they expect demand to go up in Q3 but restrictions to tighten even further.

Any idea when these are published? The next one will be interesting reading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭MacronvFrugals

Our company went on 10% pay cut in June and July and August fully restored as business had hit pre Covid levels we're in a niche IT consulting sector its anecdotal but interesting for anyone following, i know some of my friends companies also in IT have did different things like put offices up for sale and move 100% WFH to weather this storm.

With supply so low whats the likelihood of institutional investors hoovering up stock.

No doubt they'd love to offload long term contracts to the gov for social housing, in saying that i have seen quite a few IRES sites trying to sell apartment but as lots of these are HAP im thinking they're somewhat shielded.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

That the post covid world will feature a booming Amazon is hardly any surprise to anyone considering the pandemic gives it a monopoly on a lot of people's spending.

its nearly all AWS and not their market place. Also data centres and a wind farm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

AWS is not the same as Amazons online retail business. Its a separate entity and the jobs here will be nothing to do with Amazons retail model.

AWS is cloud computing. THey're building data centers and wind farms to power said data centers. This is big for AWS, first time they've done it on this scale outside of the US.

Its actually quite significant for Ireland.

SozBbz wrote: »
    AWS is not the same as Amazons online retail business. Its a separate entity and the jobs here will be nothing to do with Amazons retail model.

AWS is cloud computing. THey're building data centers and wind farms to power said data centers. This is big for AWS, first time they've done it on this scale outside of the US.

Its actually quite significant for Ireland.

Fair enough and excuse my ignorance.

Is it illustrative of the current economic climate though?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Thanks for that.

Interesting that not only did demand fall at a record fell, it fell literally as far as it possibly can on these measures.

So they expect demand to go up in Q3 but restrictions to tighten even further.

Any idea when these are published? The next one will be interesting reading.

Quarterly so I'd expect mid-October for the next one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Fair enough and excuse my ignorance.

Is it illustrative of the current economic climate though?

Well, economies never stand still, and personally I think its good to see jobs that are all about new technologies, rather than trying to support ailing industries that are going to fail ultimately. They're high quality jobs, likely well paid and about as futureproof as jobs can be these days. Its good that Ireland is attracting this type of investment in this climate.

Does it say anything about job losses in other industries such as hospitality and aviation? Nope. Those industries will have to recover once the threat of Covid has passed. They'll be very different I'm sure.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32 Astro127

Hi so what would everyone prefer to do pros and cons

1 buy a new build
    2 buy old and renovate
    3 build

• Registered Users Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭fliball123

Astro127 wrote: »

1 buy a new build
    2 buy old and renovate
    3 build

All depends on where you are in your life

young couple looking to get your foot on the ladder new build
    Older couple looking for a home you wont move from build

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

Astro127 wrote: »

1 buy a new build
    2 buy old and renovate
    3 build

For us, both working in Dublin, building is not really feasible without commuting for a long time (we don't want that). As well, with a 2 year old, we are not in the mood for renovating anything, so unless a 4 bedroom home magically appears with good enough standards for us (nothing so far), new build it is. I find very appealing to live in a new place, and with all the new regulations regarding energy savings and insulation, it will be a warm and cozy home. We are waiting for the builder to give us the go ahead to place a deposit on a new build at the moment and couldn't be happier

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32 Astro127

fliball123 wrote: »
    All depends on where you are in your life

young couple looking to get your foot on the ladder new build
    Older couple looking for a home you wont move from build

Good point.

I'm just saying in general , what is everyone In here doing or would like to do .

• Site Banned Posts: 149 ✭✭Iceman29

awec wrote: »
    Amazon announced yesterday they are building a new building in D2 and creating another 1000 jobs here.

The post-covid world is not going to be as straightforward as you think.

Amazon aren't your average company in fairness.... they were probably the biggest beneficiary of this whole mess.... i know myself i ordered much more from them during lock-down than i normally would have. Just seeing now that more than 200 jobs are gone down in Kerry at BorgWarner.

I would put money on it that there are much more BorgWarner's out there than Amazons.....time will tell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

Iceman29 wrote: »
    Amazon aren't your average company in fairness.... they were probably the biggest beneficiary of this whole mess.... i know myself i ordered much more from them during lock-down than i normally would have. Just seeing now that more than 200 jobs are gone down in Kerry at BorgWarner.

I would put money on it that there are much more BorgWarner's out there than Amazons.....time will tell

But whats the average salary of an employee in Amazon versus that of BorgWarner?

No doubt there'll be more job losses, but the amazon announcement is a BIG deal for Ireland.

Alot of Tech does seem to be doing very well in all of this.

This is another property we have been following.
    https://www.auctioneera.ie/property/33-castleknock-avenue-laurel-lodge-castleknock-dublin-d15-pp82

Bidding started yesterday, already at asking.

We've seen nothing but houses going over asking in the Castleknock/Coolmine areas. Have been following this market for near on a year.

No sign of any slow downs (yet).

• Site Banned Posts: 149 ✭✭Iceman29

TheSheriff wrote: »
    But whats the average salary of an employee in Amazon versus that of BorgWarner?

No doubt there'll be more job losses, but the amazon announcement is a BIG deal for Ireland.

Alot of Tech does seem to be doing very well in all of this.

Average salary means nothing in this case, lets say you have 1000 new workers on big salaries looking to buy. They buy 1000 houses and you have 3000 made redundant that were also looking to buy that's a net loss of 2000 buyers on the market..... what happens to house prices? they fall.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

https://www.auctioneera.ie/property/33-castleknock-avenue-laurel-lodge-castleknock-dublin-d15-pp82

We've seen nothing but houses going over asking in the Castleknock/Coolmine areas. Have been following this market for near on a year.

Nice house, looks much bigger than 1000sqft

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

That site is an eye opener

https://www.auctioneera.ie/property/47-gulistan-cottages-rathmines-dublin-d06-e6c9

Already at 485k

My garage is bigger and that only cost me 20k :pac:

Average salary means nothing in this case, lets say you have 1000 new workers on big salaries looking to buy. They buy 1000 houses and you have 3000 made redundant that were also looking to buy that's a net loss of 2000 buyers on the market..... what happens to house prices? they fall.....

Salary would mean nothing if you have enough houses for everyone.

You don't.

You have that 1000 employees competing for a limited supply of houses.

Those 1000 employees have higher average salaries that your company in Kerry (assumption).

What happens to prices?

They go up.

Thierry12 wrote: »
    Nice house, looks much bigger than 1000sqft

Yup, very nice house.

All houses in the area are generally 100 sqft; location location location and all that! Close to the train, close the Phoenix park etc.

• Administrators Posts: 53,556 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Yea that house in Castleknock is really nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

The tentacles of regulation in the US are hopefully going to start off the chain of events which ultimately breaks up Amazon and the others. Tomorrow there is a hearing with the main heads of Amazon, Google, Apple and Amazon on their abuse of dominant positions. In Ireland it's funny, we have such a cute hoor attitude that "sure it's a great little country to do business in, these tech jobs are great" but there is not really the same discourse regarding the negatives of these companies becoming so big, e.g. eroding democracy, stifling competition etc.

In any event, there is an argument to say the regulators cannot keep up with the private sector and its practices so it is not likely anything major will happen anytime soon. I've decided to buy Ires REIT shares (predominantly in the residential sector as opposed to Hibernia who predominantly operate in the commercial sector) today on a short-term horizon (6-12 months) as I feel these types of job losses combined with a muted supply of new builds in the near term will increase sentiment towards there being a rental crisis and therefore a demand for rentals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

The tentacles of regulation in the US are hopefully going to start off the chain of events which ultimately breaks up Amazon and the others. Tomorrow there is a hearing with the main heads of Amazon, Google, Apple and Amazon on their abuse of dominant positions. In Ireland it's funny, we have such a cute hoor attitude that "sure it's a great little country to do business in, these tech jobs are great" but there is not really the same discourse regarding the negatives of these companies becoming so big, e.g. eroding democracy, stifling competition etc.

In any event, there is an argument to say the regulators cannot keep up with the private sector and its practices so it is not likely anything major will happen anytime soon. I've decided to buy Ires REIT shares (predominantly in the residential sector as opposed to Hibernia who predominantly operate in the commercial sector) today on a short-term horizon (6-12 months) as I feel these types of job losses combined with a muted supply of new builds in the near term will increase sentiment towards there being a rental crisis and therefore a demand for rentals.

off topic but i agree with you on some of the tech companies. I think they will likely face some regulations similar to those imposed on utilities in the US. The likes of cloud services, wireless + fixed telecoms etc which are now critical infrastructure.

https://www.auctioneera.ie/property/47-gulistan-cottages-rathmines-dublin-d06-e6c9

Already at 485k

I also think this is INSANE money, absolutely insane.

But, my sister-in-law just got mortgage approval and they are exclusively looking at (what I would consider) tiny two bed red bricks which are priced at eye watering guides in D6.

Wouldn't be for me, but some people love this stuff, minutes walk to rathmines/ranleagh etc. I can see the attraction; I think the premium is maddness, others may think it's worth the money ... someone already thinks its worth 485k!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

I also think this is INSANE money, absolutely insane.

But, my sister-in-law just got mortgage approval and they are exclusively looking at (what I would consider) tiny two bed red bricks which are priced at eye watering guides in D6.

Wouldn't be for me, but some people love this stuff, minutes walk to rathmines/ranleagh etc. I can see the attraction; I think the premium is maddness, others may think it's worth the money ... someone already thinks its worth 485k!!!!!

The bids aren't legally binding. Do people take the mick?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Sarn

Already at 485k

That sold for €520k at the end of 2017.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I would think that if there were a good number of people working in that place in Kerry who were about to buy, then it might effect the house prices in Kerry.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement