Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cannabis Legalisation Ireland

Options
  • 28-07-2020 3:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭

Ok, let me start by saying I know this has been posted a million times but I haven't seen it in a while.

Why is cannabis still illegal in Ireland? Seriously it's 2020. I'm 40 years old, do I not have a ****ing right to do whatever I want with my own body?

Meanwhile it's perfectly legal do drink a bottle of whiskey and kill myself with alcohol poisoning or smoke cigarettes and give myself lung cancer.

We are now getting to a point where it's getting rediculous, Leo said it would be the next big question so why hasn't it been asked?

Why do I have to resort to going to some drug dealer to get my fix? Why is this completely untaxed product not taxed and made complete safe?

Like I am so sick of reefer madness, the US is starting to give in and legalising it and they are the ones who started this whole idiotic war on a plant.

I can't see any reasonable argument as to why is should remain illegal. The whole gateway argument is moot, and the few who suffer from paranoid schizophrenia from smoking it still have access to it without proper information.

Not to mention that now with the rise of cannabis vapes people are dying from black market vapes which cut the oil with vitamin e, pesticides and cyanide. This is literally killing people because it's not regulated.

It's 2020, what the **** is taking so ****ing long to sort this out. Surely all the biddies from 30 years ago have died off. Not one person on this forum doesn't know at least one cannabis user? Why do those idiots in government start the conversation already?

Seriously, I'm so sick of this backward law. Now is the time to change it, we are all bored out of our tits at home with this Corona virus, wouldn't it be nice to have a joint to forget about it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,538 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I'm with you. It helps my physical problems and appetite.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭bassy

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

bassy wrote: »
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Maybe it time you woke up, you're not helping the cause

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

kjl wrote: »
    Why is cannabis still illegal in Ireland? Seriously it's 2020. I'm 40 years old, do I not have a ****ing right to do whatever I want with my own body?
    Maybe now that the Greens are in, there will be sweeping changes.

:D

I think it should remain illegal. It’s a scourge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Hannibal36

The health service in Ireland has been doing some very strange things over the last couple years to try and force a link between psychosis and weed, now I am not saying there isn't a link at all, I am just saying a lot of it is contrived by a medical industry trying to stop the legalisation of weed from the top down.Why is anybodies guess, maybe its obvious,but don't expect any movement on it in Ireland soon.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/comments/hywoie/could_someone_explain_why_64_year_old_tony_keoghs/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Meanwhile Tony Keogh has been in jail for weeks because they said his crop had a "street value" of €14k or some shit. I saw those plants and it was closer to about 3k worth, when grown, if he was going to sell it (which it doesn't sound like he was). That fallacy landing this frail, elderly man with a criminal charge is absolutely scandalous.

I've been buying Keoghs and writing to my TDs but sometimes I just think what the hell is the point in anything anymore when this can happen for no fucking good reason .

s1ippy wrote: »
    https://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/comments/hywoie/could_someone_explain_why_64_year_old_tony_keoghs/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Meanwhile Tony Keogh has been in jail for weeks. I saw those plants and it was closer to about 3k worth, when grown, if he was going to sell it (which it doesn't sound like he was). This frail, elderly man with a criminal charge is absolutely scandalous.

I've been buying Keoghs and writing to my TDs but sometimes I just think what the hell is the point in anything anymore when this can happen for no fucking good reason .

No good reason? Have a word with yourself, he was growing drugs. What age is the cutoff you get a free pass to do what you like then?

Frail :D. You sound like a red top rag.

No good reason? Have a word with yourself, he was growing drugs. What age is the cutoff you get a free pass to do what you like then?

Frail :D. You sound like a red top rag.
    The age where he's deaf, arthritic and can't walk without support. Jailing somebody for trying to grow something that's illegal but will give them pain relief just strikes me as completely wrong and I'm not even a smoker.

The age where he's deaf, arthritic and can't walk without support. Jailing somebody for trying to grow something that's illegal but will give them pain relief just strikes me as completely wrong and I'm not even a smoker.

Well enough to be growing the **** though. Bottom line: it’s illegal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Hannibal36

Meanwhile Tony Keogh has been in jail for weeks because they said his crop had a "street value" of €14k or some shit. I saw those plants and it was closer to about 3k worth, when grown, if he was going to sell it (which it doesn't sound like he was). That fallacy landing this frail, elderly man with a criminal charge is absolutely scandalous.

Theres a big agenda against any White Irish in the courts these days that is part of it, but this is also to set down an example to stop anyone trying to grow their own supply either. They want to force everything illegal, create as much crime as possible, also weed is a soft drug that doesn't do much harm. They need alcohol, cocaine etc to keep society in as big a mess as possible, easier to Control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Ok, let me start by saying I know this has been posted a million times but I haven't seen it in a while.

Meanwhile it's perfectly legal do drink a bottle of whiskey and kill myself with alcohol poisoning or smoke cigarettes and give myself lung cancer.

We are now getting to a point where it's getting rediculous, Leo said it would be the next big question so why hasn't it been asked?

Why do I have to resort to going to some drug dealer to get my fix? Why is this completely untaxed product not taxed and made complete safe?

Like I am so sick of reefer madness, the US is starting to give in and legalising it and they are the ones who started this whole idiotic war on a plant.

I can't see any reasonable argument as to why is should remain illegal. The whole gateway argument is moot, and the few who suffer from paranoid schizophrenia from smoking it still have access to it without proper information.

Not to mention that now with the rise of cannabis vapes people are dying from black market vapes which cut the oil with vitamin e, pesticides and cyanide. This is literally killing people because it's not regulated.

It's 2020, what the **** is taking so ****ing long to sort this out. Surely all the biddies from 30 years ago have died off. Not one person on this forum doesn't know at least one cannabis user? Why do those idiots in government start the conversation already?

Seriously, I'm so sick of this backward law. Now is the time to change it, we are all bored out of our tits at home with this Corona virus, wouldn't it be nice to have a joint to forget about it?

Totally agree with you. I have not smoked ganja in 20 years, but it is a backward law that causes unnecessary suffering and needs changing. Legalise personal use and growing. Regulate drug driving ie zero limit like alcohol. Alcohol is a hugely intoxicating substance that causes tremendous damage to quite a number of people and yet after 10am it can be bought in any supermarket. We are buying Keoghs crisps only to support yer man! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Maybe it time you woke up, you're not helping the cause

Maybe the "cause" isn't worth helping.

If you asked me in my late teens if I thought the weed or eating too many crisps was going to send me to an early grave first, I'd have laughed at you. I would definitely demand some context for that situation.

Yet here we are, in 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ultrflat

I'm all for legalization, I think it should be a socially acceptable as having a pint.

How ever these smoke ups, where 100's of people walk around smoking joints in the city center is ridiculous, it can't be taken seriously. Doesn't do anything for the current opinion that weed should indeed be legal. I think it does the complete opposite. lf people really had any common sense they'd start an actual campaign.

Where education was at the for front, they may be taken more serious. Who the hell takes some one seriously who's drunk?

I think it should remain illegal. It’s a scourge.

Making/keeping something illegal does not prevent it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,934 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Ireland still has strong conservatism leanings in some aspects, but I think legalisation will eventually occur

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

Hannibal36 wrote: »
    The health service in Ireland has been doing some very strange things over the last couple years to try and force a link between psychosis and weed, now I am not saying there isn't a link at all, I am just saying a lot of it is contrived by a medical industry trying to stop the legalisation of weed from the top down.Why is anybodies guess, maybe its obvious,but don't expect any movement on it in Ireland soon.

It effects people differently, some people should actually never smoke it, say in the way some people should never drink. I've seen people get paranoid and ive seen some people with major personality changes. Saying that its must be over twenty years since I smoke sh!t, and the smell of the stuff that their smoking now. My opinion is it should've been decriminalised a long time ago. But again it don't suit everbody

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Dublinandy3

I personally think we should go down the Portuguese route when it comes to all drugs and treatment/punishment rather than the american/canadian/dutch.

A previous poster pointed out we're in 2020 now and yet the debate goes on, yes we are in 2020 so I don't think people can fly the flag anymore than cannabis is harmless and that's why it should get decriminilized or made legal. However both alcohol and tobacco are far more dangerous so in theory they should just be made illegal too, I wouldn't have an issue with that, however it won't ever happen.

Changes need to happen to the way the Irish, and most societies address all drugs these days but the problem is it is unlikely because being tough on crime, including drug users and/or abusers is always a vote winner with a chunk of the electorate, regardless of the country.

But just to reiterate, like the poster earlier who provided anecdotal evidence about it providing no harm to him or the peole he knows after many years of use I could provide the opposite, so could lots of actual scientific evidence but neither of those arguements should be used as a final yes or no. The whole issue of how society as a whole addresses drugs as a whole, inclduing tobacco and alcohol as they're drugs too, needs to be looked at, but probably won't.

Kylta wrote: »
    It effects people differently, some people should actually never smoke it, say in the way some people should never drink. I've seen people get paranoid and ive seen some people with major personality changes. Saying that its must be over twenty years since I smoke sh!t, and the smell of the stuff that their smoking now. My opinion is it should've been decriminalised a long time ago. But again it don't suit everbody

My point in my original post was that people can still get weed regardless, at least if it was legal it could be regulated and proper information could be provided. Also the stigma would not be there. Imagine if you did suffer from psychosis, do you not think that paranoia of the fact that it is illegal and you've had to deal with criminals to procure the drug could have a huge impact on reporting that you were suffering symptoms?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

My point in my original post was that people can still get weed regardless, at least if it was legal it could be regulated and proper information could be provided. Also the stigma would not be there. Imagine if you did suffer from psychosis, do you not think that paranoia of the fact that it is illegal and you've had to deal with criminals to procure the drug could have a huge impact on reporting that you were suffering symptoms?

Its funny because the use of the word paranoia only came into my vocabulary when I started getting high many many years ago, but in my day it was criminalised to extend that it wasn't sold as openly has it is now, when you rolled a joint in my time it was in secret, people roll joints openly now and its all but excepted now. In regard to the psychosis, some peoples make up or personality is not acceptable to whatever ingredients might by in the weed. I would say in my day the majority of the people I hung around with smoked hash. Some if I'm honest have ended fu¢ked up, whether it was caused by smoking hash or some other personality defect I don't know. Thinking back the criminality part was if caught with enough for a few joints the cops would take it of you. But scoring for us was like goingto the off license execpt you were never asked your age. In regards to revenue, the government would make a fortune on a weed tax. I wonder would many people some weed then. I mean smoking weed was away of maybe saying to goverment you can't control me like a passive rebellion. Sh!t
    I smoked it to get high.
    Happy days my past gone by.
    How many people reading this post will say his stoned after posting this rambling post

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

if you're sick to the point of hearing voices and need serious medication to stay on the level, then weed can kill you. (or let you kill yourself)

In my middle age I've had to quit twice for workplace testing and each time it's harder to go back . I'm probably done now at this stage.

No regrets but i could have done better without :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

My response in last month's thread
    biko wrote: »
    It should be legal for anyone over 65 for recreational use.

My response in last month's thread

ah legalize it for all adults

if you're sick to the point of hearing voices and need serious medication to stay on the level, then weed can kill you. (or let you kill yourself)

In my middle age I've had to quit twice for workplace testing and each time it's harder to go back . I'm probably done now at this stage.

No regrets but i could have done better without :)

I have already addressed this, it is maybe 1 in 20,000 people who suffer from weed psychosis, how many people in this country are full blown alcoholics. How many people have died from both alcohol poisoning and from the unhealthy lifestyle caused by alcoholism?

People can still get their hands on weed. Anyone can go out today and buy it relatively easy. Having it be illegal does not change if people have issues with it. I don't think this small minority should dictate the rules for everyone else. Not only are we missing tax revenue, but we are also propping up drug gangs with an easy source of income. Drug gangs by the way who won't care if the person they are selling it to is displaying psychotic behaviour. Drug gangs who don't care if people get sick from altered cannabis, remember a few years ago people were spraying cannabis plants with some crystal ****. That wouldn't happen under a regulated market.

Wanderer78 wrote: »

Exactly, all adults. Drug gangs don't care who they sell to and that included underage users. I reckon a 10 year old could buy weed if they wanted to.

Legalisation and regulation would stop underage sales as well.

Exactly, all adults. Drug gangs don't care who they sell to and that included underage users. I reckon a 10 year old could buy weed if they wanted to.

Legalisation and regulation would stop underage sales as well.

id imagine kids are buying it alright, and selling it unfortunately

might not unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Medicinal cannabis should absolutely be legal - this shouldn’t even be up for debate.

Legalising it for recreational use though.... drugs are not for me and I make no apologies for that but if it can be done using the Dutch model then I wouldn’t have a problem with it.

It would need to be properly regulated.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

It should be legal for anyone over 65 for recreational use.
    Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Exactly, all adults.
    It isn't as fun asking for something to be legal for someone else, but not you, is it.

unnamed.jpg

• Advertisement

biko wrote:
    It isn't as fun asking for something to be legal for someone else, but not you, is it.

I've never used illegal drugs, thank God, I'd probably be a basket case if I did

Advertisement