Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is there ever a debate about who was the best Irish Sports person ever? *READ OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,913 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

She was the stand out and most consistent female middle distance runner from say 92 to 97/98. Her league meets Euros and Worlds. Her 2000 Olympic silver was slightly unexpected as she had taken time off to have a child. Perhaps she didnt clean up with medals as she should have but she still dominated. Usian Bolt is an extreme example.

Anyway, her record is still head and shoulders any other Irish sportsperson in their field.

I agree she would get my vote, and was ultra consistent, but she didn't dominate. No one did in her era, at her distances, she was one of quite a few capable of winning the big events, as the records show. But to even be competitive in distance running was a huge feat in itself. Imo.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

She was the stand out and most consistent female middle distance runner from say 92 to 97/98. Her league meets Euros and Worlds. Her 2000 Olympic silver was slightly unexpected as she had taken time off to have a child. Perhaps she didnt clean up with medals as she should have but she still dominated. Usian Bolt is an extreme example.

Anyway, her record is still head and shoulders any other Irish sportsperson in their field.

Because she was surrounded by a load of cheats and frauds.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭ballsdeep69

Big joe Joyce obviously 👊ðŸ½

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

feargale wrote: »
    You seem to take a special interest in this shagging business. I'd say there would be a run on popcorn in your house if it ever became an Olympic event.

And the same in your house if cheap smartarse comments qualified.

I don't care how many women a sports person beds.
    George Best was a notorious womaniser and I've no problem with that. He was the greatest player to come from the island...probably this hemisphere.
    Paul Gasgoine is another violent drunk but there's no denying his ability.

I was talking about how people try to use a person's flaws as a reason to detract from their sporting acumen. A point that was clearly lost on you.

But thanks for the snotty quip.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭trashcan

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    if best saw himself as irish , thats good enough for me , i dont think he did however

if he is irish

he is out in front as the best ever sports person from this country - island

I actually think he probably did. He is on record as supporting an all Island football team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

She did not dominate her sport. Not at the elite level.

You cannot call her a dominant female distance runner, when she went to 4 olympic games and only has one solitary silver medal to show for it.

I'm sorry, but with the talent she had she should have achieved far more than that.

As regards having a baby before the 2000 olympics... I'm the person who first highlighted this on the thread, and it was a massive error in judgement on her part. She was one the favourites for gold in those games, but basically blew her chances... so she only really has herself to blame on that one.

She would certainly make any top 20 list comfortably, but she's definitely not the greatest ever. Not for me anyway.

So what if you brought up her child first? It is of no relevance. She made a conscious decision to have a child. That is hardly a 'massive error of judgment'. It is a shame she didnt clean up in 96.

She was certainly not favourite for the gold in 2000. I remember it well. The hope was she would compete for a medal but perhaps gold was probably stretching it. Expectation was subdued. But she sure as hell nearly did...purely from memory she was beaten on the home straight by Zsabo who later served a ban I recall correctly (not for failing a drug test at that race).

Top 20 of all Irish people? Are you having a laugh..so not best (fine), not top 3 or top 5 or even top 10 but top 20!! So you would put her 11-20 on your list..I would love to see the 10 or even 19 other sports stars you would put before her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭sxt

Top 20 of all Irish people? Are you having a laugh..so not best (fine), not top 3 or top 5 or even top 10 but top 20!! So you would put her 11-20 on your list..I would love to see the 10 or even 19 other sports stars you would put before her.

She had the talent to be near the top. Maybe it was the Irish set up? Probably not the best? Do most countries value World and Olympic medals more than European meets. Sonia may have have been winning all those events but other countries may have been more focused on major competitions

If Sonia o sullivan was British,she probably would have excelled. Based on results, would she be anywhere near top 100 world /Olympic athletes from UK of all time ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,128 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Well Paula Radcliffe was her UK opposite and she was better than her.
    As someone said above Sonia was the dominant clean athlete of her time.

sxt wrote: »
    She had the talent to be near the top. Maybe it was the Irish set up? Probably not the best? Do most countries value World and Olympic medals more than European meets

If Sonia o sullivan was British, would she be anywhere near top 100 world /Olympic athletes from UK of all time ?

Of course she had the talent. What are on about. She is Ireland’s greatest female athlete and save for Ronnie Delaney’s gold in 1956 she would be Ireland’s greatest ever athlete. Full stop.

The notion she might scrap into a Ireland’s top 20 is just utter horse ****.

Who gives a **** about the UK. What type of rubbish is that. For a time in the mid 90s she was the best female middle distance runner in the world and went Into the 1996 Olympics as the overwhelming favourite. That trumps every country.

Water John wrote: »
    Well Paula Radcliffe was her UK opposite and she was better than her.
    As someone said above Sonia was the dominant clean athlete of her time.

Yes. Paula Radcliffe never win an Olympic medal. Plus she was more long distance and a few years younger. They were not direct competitors.

• Advertisement

Go and just have quick look at Sonia O’Sullivan’s wiki page and see the list of achievements.

Nobody in Ireland comes close to her achievements and that applies across the board when compared to her peers in the 90s not just Ireland.

How anyone can suggest she is merely top 20 in Ireland is a god damn idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭deckie66

Of course she had the talent. What are on about. She is Ireland’s greatest female athlete and save for Ronnie Delaney’s gold in 1956 she would be Ireland’s greatest ever athlete. Full stop.

The notion she might scrap into a Ireland’s top 20 is just utter horse ****.

Who gives a **** about the UK. What type of rubbish is that. For a time in the mid 90s she was the best female middle distance runner in the world and went Into the 1996 Olympics as the overwhelming favourite. That trumps every country.

err . . . . .Pat O'Callaghan - Olympic gold medals in both 1928 and 1932

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Choochtown

In the one sense criticising the set up was fine but at the same time it was too effing late to do anything about it so it was rather pointless at that stage. So Keane should have perhaps kept it for the WC post mortem.

I think Keane's decision to do the interview was his way to let off steam rather than letting it build up inside. If he bottled it up it he may very have exploded on the pitch and got sent off later on. It was almost theraputic.

After the interview, the ball was in McCarthy's court and it was his decision to call the ill fated meeting.

Keane's decision to do the interview was for the same reason he took the Villa job whilst neglecting his National team duties and the same reason he released his book the day before a crucial game and the same reason he abandoned the national team on the eve of a match to fly abroad to do punditry for ITV for a Champions League match ... MONEY

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Greyfox wrote: »
    Your having a laugh, the other 3 are only legends by Irish Standards. Keane is a legend by world standards, he's one of the best players to ever play in English football.
    Saying "You're having a laugh" is not proof.

A legend by world standards suggests Keane was a world great.
    In the 1994 World Cup Ireland got out of the group when four teams tied on four points. Keane's comment "There was nothing to celebrate. We achieved little."
    The 1998 World Cup Ireland failed to qualify.
    The 2002 World Cup Ireland qualified. Keane threw a hissy fit.
    The 2006 World Cup. Ireland failed to qualify and Keane retired from international football to help prolong his club career.

Keane never played league football outside Ireland, England, Scotland.
    He scored seven international goals, of which two were against Cyprus, one against Malta, one against Iceland, one against Northern Ireland.

Gerson, Cruyff, Platini, Mattheus, Pirlo, Zidane, Iniesta would be a few I would rate as world class midfield greats.
    "Keane is a legend by world standards"? He is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,027 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Saying "You're having a laugh" is not proof.

A legend by world standards suggests Keane was a world great.
    In the 1994 World Cup Ireland got out of the group when four teams tied on four points. Keane's comment "There was nothing to celebrate. We achieved little."
    The 1998 World Cup Ireland failed to qualify.
    The 2002 World Cup Ireland qualified. Keane threw a hissy fit.
    The 2006 World Cup. Ireland failed to qualify and Keane retired from international football to help prolong his club career.

Keane never played league football outside Ireland, England, Scotland.
    He scored seven international goals, of which two were against Cyprus, one against Malta, one against Iceland, one against Northern Ireland.

Gerson, Cruyff, Platini, Mattheus, Pirlo, Zidane, Iniesta would be a few I would rate as world class midfield greats.
    "Keane is a legend by world standards"? He is not.

I'm going to hazard a guess that you are perhaps an ABU and are thus coloured by that. Because world standards extends to club football at that level, and there were few better midfielders than Keane in his era, in terms of determination and leadership.

All his contemporaries acknlowedge that fact, and he made United the team they were.

And the statement that he never played league football outside of England, Ireland and Scotland is churlish. He was the best player for the best team in the Premier League for an extended period. My god, he had no ambition!!! You look at it today, when an Irish player breaks into a Premier League team its considered newsworthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

I'm going to hazard a guess that you are perhaps an ABU and are thus coloured by that.
    Wrong. That is a weak stance to support the claim that Keane was world class.
    I put up a few players that would be considered great midfielders.

A search on the net for great midfielders gives these ten:
    Xavi; Zidane; Zico; Charlton; Cruyff; Rijkaard; Zizinho; Laudrup; Maradona; Goggs.

And a list of the top 50 midfielders in the world.
    https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1572011-50-greatest-midfielders-in-the-history-of-world-football

Another list gives:
    Arturo Vidal; David Silva; Yaya Toure; Bastien Schweinsteiger; Paul Pogba; Iniesta; Eden Hazard; Luka Modric; Cesc Fabregas; Arjen Robben

The three lists have a common factor - no Roy Keane.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Randy Archer

It is Roy Keane

There is no other Irish person close. Who ever is second, is a distant second

He is the most influential sports person in Irish sporting History, and in British football history, and one of the most influential in World soccer history

19 major titles

An inspirational force of nature with the guile, skill and will to win at all costs, he almost demanded it, and he inspired his team to do it. One of a very select few Irish sports persons to excel in the heat of battle.

He literally dragged Man utd to their first Champions league win. Putting in an inspirational performance against Juventus in the the semi finals when they were looking at certain defeat against. Diego Maradona was left slack jawed at the dominance of the performance

This is a player that would have been the first pick on any team or country in the world.

This is a guy who played in the biggest and most competitive sport on the planet

His legend will live on for centuries

Influential ? Maybe in Manchester and Ireland , but the world ? Lol �� He wasn’t even Ireland’s best ever player. He will always be known for bottling it when the going got tough and allowed his personal issues get in the way (drink drink drink ) He will always be remembered for Saipan

That Sham , Conor McGregor is more well known around the world than Keane will ever be

Influential at what ? Man Utd 2008 team would quite possible match the 1998/1999 team man for man . The latter only had The Arsenal to worry about, where as Chelsea had risen by 2008 And Arsenal were still useful in the league .

It is Roy Keane

There is no other Irish person close. Who ever is second, is a distant second

He is the most influential sports person in Irish sporting History, and in British football history, and one of the most influential in World soccer history

19 major titles

An inspirational force of nature with the guile, skill and will to win at all costs, he almost demanded it, and he inspired his team to do it. One of a very select few Irish sports persons to excel in the heat of battle.

He literally dragged Man utd to their first Champions league win. Putting in an inspirational performance against Juventus in the the semi finals when they were looking at certain defeat against. Diego Maradona was left slack jawed at the dominance of the performance

This is a player that would have been the first pick on any team or country in the world.

This is a guy who played in the biggest and most competitive sport on the planet

His legend will live on for centuries

Dragged them to the final . ? Really ? Pretty sure But for Schiemeichael Heroics against Inter Milan in the QF, there’d be no semis

Wouldn’t take a lot for Maradona to have a slack jaw , especially in those days

Ap McCoy

He’s a Brit when it suits him

Anyway, Barry Geraghty and Ruby Walsh both have vastly superior Cheltenham records despite AP starting earlier and having champion trainer Pipe as his man , before JP

ratracer wrote: »
    Seán Kelly!

Inclined to agree but he got busted twice for drugs , one of which he claims was cough syrup but ..

• Advertisement

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Roy Keane is not even the best footballer. In this order
    1. Liam Brady
    2. Paul McGrath
    3. John Giles
    4. Roy Keane

Ronnie Whelan is miles ahead of Roy too

.anon. wrote: »
    He was from Belfast, which is in Ireland, not Britain, as can clearly be seen from aerial photographs.

Belfast is part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. It’s British. His family were ORANGEMEN, it way less bigoted to Irish people

Katie Taylor has totally dominated her sport for almost twenty years but the patriarchal mainstream media and social media sites like this one will have you believe that she isn’t as important as Roy Keane or Brian O Driscoll because she has “less competition.”

The talent pool does not exist. That’s why she dominated for so long without much of a challenge , that’s why she is doing so Well in the pros .

Fair play to her, but we can’t pretend that there are too many genuine top class talents in her sport - should add, she had moments of good fortune in the good medal fight in London, that girl needed just another round or two to cause her more trouble

Nothing to do with patriarchal nonsense ,

It’s just a vehicle for the gambling industry. Unlike soccer, et it wouldn’t exist at all as a spectator sport without being able to bet on it.

Football bets dominate the bookies business now a days

So you can’t sit down and watch horse racing without a bet, that’s on you . Don’t talk for others

I think Michelle Smith got a bit of a raw deal, she did win the medals but the controversy after overshadowed her achievement.

Not really. Her success inn1994 and 1995 sports games (Words and euro championships) were considered suspicious too . GarynO’Toole was quiet vocal then and wasn’t impressed

Her husband was dodgy and got caught ,likewise her sister in law (his sister) a Dutch swimmer

py2006 wrote: »
    Hard not to look passed this young lady:

WCsb28_j.png

Quite easy actually

Every great champion is remembered for who they bet and how good those fighters were . So....

Name Katie’s best opponents , name 3, without Wikipedia

I am actually going to go with Sonia O'Sullivan because it is such an individual sport.

I cannot think of any other Irish sportsperson that dominated their sport quite like she did back in the 90s.

Ya. Individual sports has to be how it’s determined. It’s not like Keane had bad Man Utd teams, and that Ireland team of 2001/2002 was a talented bunch .

She did it all. Track and cross country. Euro, worlds and Olympic medals . Tough competition and a sport were doping is rife. She was at her peak in 1996 but sadly illness stopped her ,and she got dogs abuse over it ! Such is the fickleness of the so called great Irish sports fans. It was a serious achievement ,at her age to medal in 2000

She did not dominate her sport. Not at the elite level.

You cannot call her a dominant female distance runner, when she went to 4 olympic games and only has one solitary silver medal to show for it.

I'm sorry, but with the talent she had she should have achieved far more than that.

As regards having a baby before the 2000 olympics... I'm the person who first highlighted this on the thread, and it was a massive error in judgement on her part. She was one the favourites for gold in those games, but basically blew her chances... so she only really has herself to blame on that one.

She would certainly make any top 20 list comfortably, but she's definitely not the greatest ever. Not for me anyway.

It at elite level? Multiple world championships at two different distances, you are waffling. Athletics is not all about the Olympics. Worlds and euros are bread and butter . She bet former And reigning Olympic Champions to win those medals .

Time and time again, we have seen questionable results at the Olympics

Her health robbed her of a chance to shine in 1996, coming in as a two distance world champ and euros

2000 was a pleasant surprise

Agreed.
    I am not the biggest fan of his attitude but you could go to the arse end of Mongolia and someone would have heard of the MMA fighter Conor McGregor.

he'd definitely win best known Irish scumbag arsehole

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Quite easy actually

Every great champion is remembered for who they bet and how good those fighters were . So....

Name Katie’s best opponents , name 3, without Wikipedia

I think you are being a bit unfair. What she has achieved is phenomenal and may be you don't rate it because its women boxing and they aren't household names but she has fought tough opponents and won.

She deserves a mention

Advertisement