Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin ransomware attack

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

robinph wrote: »
    This does suggest that they probably haven't lost any data. Hopefully just a case of having to wait until the backups are restored:

https://www.garmin.com/en-GB/outage/
    FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
    Was any Garmin Connect customer data lost during the outage?

Although Garmin Connect is not accessible during the outage, activity and health and wellness data collected from Garmin devices during the outage is stored on the device and will appear in Garmin Connect once the user syncs their device.

They don't actually answer the question.
    They talk about data on device, not data on servers.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Dipsomaniac

They do say the following though.
    Was my data impacted as a result of the outage?
    Garmin has no indication that this outage has affected your data, including activity, payment or other personal information.
    I hope this means your activity data as in your runs etc and not tracking of how you interact with the site etc.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

They do say the following though.
    I hope this means your activity data as in your runs etc and not tracking of how you interact with the site etc.

Could be that we lose a couple of days from last week that didn't make it as far as a clean backup copy. But then just drag it back from Strava and you'll never know it was gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Could be that we lose a couple of days from last week that didn't make it as far as a clean backup copy. But then just drag it back from Strava and you'll never know it was gone.
    If lost your recent uploaded runs from Garmin and they are already uploaded on Strava I think you could use tapiriik.com to put them back onto Garmin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

MY BAD wrote: »
    If lost your recent uploaded runs from Garmin and they are already uploaded on Strava I think you could use tapiriik.com to put them back onto Garmin

My Garmin 245 still has all the runs I did since I started using it 2 months ago stored on the watch, so none of that will be necessary. It will simply automatically re-upload anything that's not on their system already once they come back online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,377 ✭✭✭Trampas

Just realised I do up my speed sessions on app and send to phone. As like to have my range in it also might be 4 of x and 4 of y. I guess I’ll have to reuse the ones I’ve on watch already

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Claims that some parts of the system that we might be interested in are starting to reappear online intermittently. Not had anything myself but some claims of the ConnectIQ platform being available and others have seen runs sync as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,377 ✭✭✭Trampas

Claims that some parts of the system that we might be interested in are starting to reappear online intermittently. Not had anything myself but some claims of the ConnectIQ platform being available and others have seen runs sync as well.

Mine has just synced and activities are available on app

I've had a couple of activities upload so far, but it's still working on another couple that haven't gone through yet. Some of the charts are now loading as well.

Getting there ...slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭lulublue22

My app is opening ( didn’t yesterday) but has not updated. Still getting the server maintenance blurb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭pansophelia

lulublue22 wrote: »
    My app is opening ( didn’t yesterday) but has not updated. Still getting the server maintenance blurb.

I’m getting the blurb too but it updated despite that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

I'm getting that too within the app but everything has uploaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

All my runs have been automatically uploaded and synced with Strava

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

MY BAD wrote: »
    All my runs have been automatically uploaded and synced with Strava

Same here, some gaps in steps for a few days.

Anyone done a run today to see if that syncs perfectly?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭crisco10

Did a manual sync and it seems to have worked. Activities appearing, but app still has warning up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭lulublue22

Just back from a run still not syncing. 235 can be a bit glitchy anyhow.
    ETA -uploaded now it was the watch being finicky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭token56

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Same here, some gaps in steps for a few days.

Anyone done a run today to see if that syncs perfectly?

I did a workout this morning and it synced as normal to my phone and Strava when I got back. Didn't have to do anything manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

All my runs since last week have synced including today's .

Think all my stuff is now synced. Missing some Connect IQ data fields charts from the most recent run, but that could be due to something else not working properly and I didn't notice.

Don't have any data for HR, steps or sleep for the last few days and guess that's all gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,961 ✭✭✭opus

I've a few runs to do for a training plan this week so would be handy if the workout sync comes back soon so that I can switch off my brain & let the watch keep me on pace. Not the end of the world if it doesn't of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Think all my stuff is now synced. Missing some Connect IQ data fields charts from the most recent run, but that could be due to something else not working properly and I didn't notice.

Don't have any data for HR, steps or sleep for the last few days and guess that's all gone.

All that stuff is on your watch but not sure why it wouldn’t go across

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Seems they paid the ransom after all... Ouch.

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Seems they paid the ransom after all... Ouch.

I saw a few comments on social media from people thinking that the ransom was paid, but nothing more than random thoughts from people who don't know. Have you seen anything from a believable source saying they paid?

https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/hy3sn0/how_****ed_is_garmin_any_insiders_here/fzb2uq7/

TL;DR seems like all backups were corrupted/encrypted FIRST and then the other systems taken down. So they paid the ransom or they lost all user data.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

I saw a few comments on social media from people thinking that the ransom was paid, but nothing more than random thoughts from people who don't know. Have you seen anything from a believable source saying they paid?

Multiple sources saying that Garmin obtained the decryption key, but didnt 'directly' pay the hackers. Most times, corps will pay a middle man company to look after the payment, that way they cant be fined by US Government for entering transactions with someone who is sanctioned, Evil Corp in this case.

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    All that stuff is on your watch but not sure why it wouldn’t go across

I have previously found some of the additional IQ fields had uninstalled themselves from my watch, but that's not the case this time as I've just been through and checked they are still installed correctly.

The Garmin approximation of power is one of the fields I have and that is uploading OK. The other fields I have are a bit more niche and the watch has to download them from other sensors and apps running on my phone (think one of the fields is actually generated on another website between being generated by my phone and then getting back to the GarminIQ field on the watch).

I'm certain the fields were showing on the data screens as I scrolled through them during my run on Sunday directly on the watch, but only the power one is then uploaded to Garmin Connect.

Shame that the data is missing from my 3hr long run at the weekend as those duration runs are the ones where this information is actually then useful for me to look at afterwards. If curious it's being able to see background insulin level, carb intake and the decay of carbs on board, blood glucose and active insulin levels.

Will give it another few days before I worry about trying to reset the setup again though in the hope it sorts itself out.

I have previously found some of the additional IQ fields had uninstalled themselves from my watch, but that's not the case this time as I've just been through and checked they are still installed correctly.

The Garmin approximation of power is one of the fields I have and that is uploading OK. The other fields I have are a bit more niche and the watch has to download them from other sensors and apps running on my phone (think one of the fields is actually generated on another website between being generated by my phone and then getting back to the GarminIQ field on the watch).

I'm certain the fields were showing on the data screens as I scrolled through them during my run on Sunday directly on the watch, but only the power one is then uploaded to Garmin Connect.

Shame that the data is missing from my 3hr long run at the weekend as those duration runs are the ones where this information is actually then useful for me to look at afterwards. If curious it's being able to see background insulin level, carb intake and the decay of carbs on board, blood glucose and active insulin levels.

Will give it another few days before I worry about trying to reset the setup again though in the hope it sorts itself out.

I had thought the same on Stryd Power.
    Data not in Garmin Connect mobile but is there in web version. Charts show.

tunney wrote: »
    I had thought the same on Stryd Power.
    Data not in Garmin Connect mobile but is there in web version. Charts show.

:D

That requires multiple thanks for pointing out. Yes, the data is all there on the web version, just not on the mobile app. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

opus wrote: »
    I've a few runs to do for a training plan this week so would be handy if the workout sync comes back soon so that I can switch off my brain & let the watch keep me on pace. Not the end of the world if it doesn't of course.

I assume this is still the case? No new workouts going across to the watch for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

I assume this is still the case? No new workouts going across to the watch for me

Yep having the same problem!

Advertisement