Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garmin ransomware attack

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

robinph wrote: »
    Think all my stuff is now synced. Missing some Connect IQ data fields charts from the most recent run, but that could be due to something else not working properly and I didn't notice.

Don't have any data for HR, steps or sleep for the last few days and guess that's all gone.

All that stuff is on your watch but not sure why it wouldn’t go across

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Seems they paid the ransom after all... Ouch.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Seems they paid the ransom after all... Ouch.

I saw a few comments on social media from people thinking that the ransom was paid, but nothing more than random thoughts from people who don't know. Have you seen anything from a believable source saying they paid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/hy3sn0/how_****ed_is_garmin_any_insiders_here/fzb2uq7/

TL;DR seems like all backups were corrupted/encrypted FIRST and then the other systems taken down. So they paid the ransom or they lost all user data.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

I saw a few comments on social media from people thinking that the ransom was paid, but nothing more than random thoughts from people who don't know. Have you seen anything from a believable source saying they paid?

Multiple sources saying that Garmin obtained the decryption key, but didnt 'directly' pay the hackers. Most times, corps will pay a middle man company to look after the payment, that way they cant be fined by US Government for entering transactions with someone who is sanctioned, Evil Corp in this case.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    All that stuff is on your watch but not sure why it wouldn’t go across

I have previously found some of the additional IQ fields had uninstalled themselves from my watch, but that's not the case this time as I've just been through and checked they are still installed correctly.

The Garmin approximation of power is one of the fields I have and that is uploading OK. The other fields I have are a bit more niche and the watch has to download them from other sensors and apps running on my phone (think one of the fields is actually generated on another website between being generated by my phone and then getting back to the GarminIQ field on the watch).

I'm certain the fields were showing on the data screens as I scrolled through them during my run on Sunday directly on the watch, but only the power one is then uploaded to Garmin Connect.

Shame that the data is missing from my 3hr long run at the weekend as those duration runs are the ones where this information is actually then useful for me to look at afterwards. If curious it's being able to see background insulin level, carb intake and the decay of carbs on board, blood glucose and active insulin levels.

Will give it another few days before I worry about trying to reset the setup again though in the hope it sorts itself out.

I have previously found some of the additional IQ fields had uninstalled themselves from my watch, but that's not the case this time as I've just been through and checked they are still installed correctly.

The Garmin approximation of power is one of the fields I have and that is uploading OK. The other fields I have are a bit more niche and the watch has to download them from other sensors and apps running on my phone (think one of the fields is actually generated on another website between being generated by my phone and then getting back to the GarminIQ field on the watch).

I'm certain the fields were showing on the data screens as I scrolled through them during my run on Sunday directly on the watch, but only the power one is then uploaded to Garmin Connect.

Shame that the data is missing from my 3hr long run at the weekend as those duration runs are the ones where this information is actually then useful for me to look at afterwards. If curious it's being able to see background insulin level, carb intake and the decay of carbs on board, blood glucose and active insulin levels.

Will give it another few days before I worry about trying to reset the setup again though in the hope it sorts itself out.

I had thought the same on Stryd Power.
    Data not in Garmin Connect mobile but is there in web version. Charts show.

tunney wrote: »
    I had thought the same on Stryd Power.
    Data not in Garmin Connect mobile but is there in web version. Charts show.

:D

That requires multiple thanks for pointing out. Yes, the data is all there on the web version, just not on the mobile app. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Lambay island

opus wrote: »
    I've a few runs to do for a training plan this week so would be handy if the workout sync comes back soon so that I can switch off my brain & let the watch keep me on pace. Not the end of the world if it doesn't of course.

I assume this is still the case? No new workouts going across to the watch for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

I assume this is still the case? No new workouts going across to the watch for me

Yep having the same problem!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Yeah same here everything else seems to be working except workouts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Tomorrows session will be fun :eek:

Yup
    You can check here
    https://connect.garmin.com/status/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭crisco10

Thank god my session this morning was a 5km tempo. Would feel even more a slave to the watch having to hit the lap button everytime on something like a 10 x 400. The temptation to cheat the recoveries would be overwhelming too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

ariana` wrote: »
    Yeah same here everything else seems to be working except workouts.

Back working again now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭rizzee

Didn't want to create another thread. Updated app (android) the other day and my default view has gone from kms ran to activity time. Is there any way to reverse this?? Picture as reference... Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

rizzee wrote: »
    Didn't want to create another thread. Updated app (android) the other day and my default view has gone from kms ran to activity time. Is there any way to reverse this?? Picture as reference... Thanks

There's a thread herehttps://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055987516 for Garmin queries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭rizzee

ariana` wrote: »
    There's a thread herehttps://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055987516 for Garmin queries.

Thank you :-)

Edit- Doh! I meant Strava, not Garmin. Will have a search now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭lulublue22

rizzee wrote: »
    Thank you :-)

Edit- Doh! I meant Strava, not Garmin. Will have a search now.

It seems to happen to me every so often. I go to settings and reset to miles. Sometimes in settings it’s showing as set to miles but is coming up in km. I just set to km and reset to m on that case snd it seems to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

Is the desktop site still down for everyone else?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,506 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Is the desktop site still down for everyone else?

http://connect.garmin.com is fine for me. Last run was Thursday and I did some yoga yesterday, both show up on there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

http://connect.garmin.com is fine for me. Last run was Thursday and I did some yoga yesterday, both show up on there.

Hmm, might be a cookie thing. I'll take another look

Advertisement