Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you ever hit a woman?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Clare Kat wrote: »
    It’s semantics. Violence is violence pure and simple. It’s not a fair fight no matter how you dickey it up. The question is “ Would you ever hit a woman?” Those that choose to hide behind crazy rationalizations for their behavior are bullies plain and simple. Just remember the person who gave birth to you was a woman.

That's a ridiculous thing to say. Should men of large stature never defend themselves through violence if attack by smaller men just because 'it's not a fair fight', something tells me your sympathies wouldn't extend to these men who may similarly stand no chance in a fight either. It's not a fair thing to do to attack somebody in the first place, if you do choose to do it of your own volition, prepare for people to be a little less than fair in return.

What relevance has the last line to do with anything? Apart from gender don't think my mother shares much in common with these hypothetically violent women who attack men and expect them to gladly just take it on the chin b'cuz chivalry and women are weak and completely defenseless according to you.

EDIT: ah..8 posts. I see now.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

So how do you know that the vast majority of people who’ve posted in this thread aren’t talking about hypothetical situations, and might behave totally differently in a real world situation?

I’ve said numerous times already that I don’t know, but I suspect that any man here saying they’d hit a woman in self defence is talking BS, it’s far more likely that if they’ve got to this point in their lives without having hit a woman, they aren’t about to start now, or find themselves in situations where they might have to defend themselves from being attacked by a woman.

I suspect they absolutely would behave differently in a real world situation, like the example you gave earlier. I still can’t wrap my head around that one but I don’t want to pry tbh. I just find it strange that you would have sat there or whatever while they were going on like that in front of ye. But that’s what I mean that you weren’t leaping in there to your friends defence and clocking his missus :pac:

You could’ve done, but you didn’t.

Niner has hit a woman, in the course of his professional duties, in the act of preventing further injury to himself at her hands. According to your logic, that makes him a scumbag. According to just about anyone else here (apart from the one or two feminazis who’ve wandered in here) in niners situation SHE is the scumbag.

Sure everyone is entitled to their opinions.

EDIT: I should have clarified that I did already say earlier in the thread that Niner didn’t deserve to be stabbed. I can only imagine it was an opportunist attempt when he let his guard down and was taken advantage of. **** happens like that in his line of work. It doesn’t make it right and of course she was a scumbag too for doing so, kinda reminded me of that picture of your one from the scissor sisters. No, not the band, these nut jobs -

scissor

Scissor Sister moved to new jail after knife photos leaked

• Registered Users Posts: 6,743 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

I’ve said numerous times already that I don’t know, and I suspect that any man here saying they’d hit a woman in self defence is talking BS, it’s far more likely that if they’ve got to this point in their lives without having hit a woman, they aren’t about to start now, or find themselves in situations where they might have to defend themselves from being attacked by a woman.

I suspect they absolutely would behave differently in a real world situation, like the example you gave earlier. I still can’t wrap my head around that one but I don’t want to pry tbh. I just find it strange that you would have sat there or whatever while they were going on like that in front of ye. But that’s what I mean that you weren’t leaping in there to your friends defence and clocking his missus :pac:

You could’ve done, but you didn’t.

Sure everyone is entitled to their opinions.

Our first reaction was WTF... second reaction was to get up from the chairs and put ourselves in between the pair of them. But she seems to be the type who lashes out and then starts the verbals, so by the time we had moved across the kitchen to where they were she had done her damage, had hit my mate, her husband twice, had left a mark, then started with the what type of man are you rubbish.

I honestly don’t know how long that relationship will last, but according to him she has calmed down an awful lot since, and maybe knowing that there are pictures outside her control might be a good thing.

I don’t know how I’d have reacted if she had hit me trying to get to him if I’d been faster about getting in between them . But considering I’d have been slightly expecting it I’d say I’d have been calm enough. She wasn’t using a weapon, “just” her open hand.

I also don’t know how I’d react in an unprovoked attack. That has happened three times in my life. Twice it was a group who jumped me and twice I ran as soon as the opportunity presented itself.

The third time it was a chap who jumped me by himself. That time I fought, and he ended up needing medical attention. I reported it to the Gardaí, and let’s just say if this was a news report the phrase “he was known to Gardaí” would have been used.

I also deescalated a situation where I inadvertently frightened the crap out of some poor bloke while taking a short cut home one night. We were walking in opposite directions, through a little woodland feature in a housing estate. I stepped off the path and turned my back to the direction I was walking to stop to light a cigarette. With the benefit of a few beers it took a bit longer than normal, so by the time I turned around to walk in the direction of home as far as this other lad was concerned I jumped out of the trees onto of him.

He was totally ready to fight, thinking I was about to attack him, but a few quiet words later he realised I wasn’t and am a harmless ol’ soul really so a handshake, laugh and we proceeded on our merry way.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Clare Kat

This is exactly it.

The question would you ever hit a woman was asked in the gentleman’s club where the majority of posters are men.

Those posters then who say they would hit a woman or have hit a woman, are offended by the notion that they are regarded as a scumbag.

Seems they’re the ones who want to dish it out, but can’t take it themselves.

I couldn’t agree more. Whole lotta defensive blokes here who seem to have difficulty with being called out. Very interesting indeed.

I couldn’t agree more. Whole lotta defensive blokes here who seem to have difficulty with being called out. Very interesting indeed.

I’d suggest you read the last paragraph in wibbs’ post at 19:32 this evening. It applies to you.

• Advertisement

21 pages now. From a hate thread started by the feg troll account. And it's still going?

Good job, mods.

21 pages now. From a hate thread started by the feg troll account. And it's still going?

7 pages if you do it properly! :pac:

I’d suggest you read the last paragraph in wibbs’ post at 19:32 this evening. It applies to you.[/quot

What can I say except your username is spot on.

It's disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,873 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It’s semantics. Violence is violence pure and simple. It’s not a fair fight no matter how you dickey it up. The question is “ Would you ever hit a woman?” Those that choose to hide behind crazy rationalizations for their behavior are bullies plain and simple. Just remember the person who gave birth to you was a woman.

It’s not semantics. It’s a very straight forward question. “Would you hit a woman ?” If it was necessary to do so to guarantee my own life, my own wellbeing and safety having been attacked by a woman, I would do so.

I’m not going to just walk away and turn my back on a violent and possibly deranged person who would do me harm. That’s stupid talk.

I’d hope that I’d be in a position to subdue any attacker but if it didn’t look like that was possible ie. they were under the influence of a substance, behaving continuously violently and erratically, self preservation kicks in. Hopefully I could use minimal force to enable their neutralization but say if they had a knife or something it’s all bets off. My goal is to get home to my family in one piece. If the female attacker has a knife I’d gleefully be introducing their skull to the cobbles without regret.

• Advertisement

What can I say except your username is spot on.

What can you say indeed Clare. Well you could say “hmmm. Perhaps that is a valid point raised by wibbs.”

Or you could say “hmmmm... maybe saying this devilishly charming chap Knucklehead6 is correct and I DID jump the shark”

Or you could be like Ronan Keating, and say it best by saying nothing at all.

It's disgusting.

How so?

What can you say indeed Clare. Well you could say “hmmm. Perhaps that is a valid point raised by wibbs.”

Or you could say “hmmmm... maybe saying this devilishly charming chap Knucklehead6 is correct and I DID jump the shark”

Or you could be like Ronan Keating, and say it best by saying nothing at all.

Devilishly charming fella who is still having flashbacks yet decides to play psychologist and suggest what the “feminazi” could say. Classic narcissistic traits.

Devilishly charming fella who is still having flashbacks yet decides to play psychologist and suggest what the “feminazi” could say. Classic narcissistic traits.

Oh I see. You think I’m having flashbacks. A form of PTSD. Nope. When I mentioned I can still see the wheels of the car, that’s when I’m actively recalling that night from memory. Not a flashback, a recollection.

So, along with jumping the shark, you’re jumping to conclusions.

How so?

It's a terrible thread that should not have been given any oxygen, given the troll who posted it. A few mods with any sense would stop stuff like this appearing.

Oh I see. You think I’m having flashbacks. A form of PTSD. Nope. When I mentioned I can still see the wheels of the car, that’s when I’m actively recalling that night from memory. Not a flashback, a recollection.

So, along with jumping the shark, you’re jumping to conclusions.

But you’re not by suggesting that a certain observation by wibbs at 19:32 applies to me. Sounds like the pot calling the kettle black.

It's a terrible thread that should not have been given any oxygen, given the troll who posted it. A few mods with any sense would stop stuff like this appearing.

In fairness it has brought about an interesting debate.

Yes, I agree, there are a few people who’ve posted in this thread who I wouldn’t give the time of day to, given what they’ve posted, almost boasting about hitting their partner.

The vast majority have said, and will continue to say “no I wouldn’t hit a woman, unless there was no avoiding it for my own personal safety”

I can’t see how you can say that is not a relevant point of view.

But you’re not by suggesting that a certain observation by wibbs at 19:32 applies to me. Sounds like the pot calling the kettle black.

Black kettles matter Clare.

But now that you mention it, you have stated that you have been in two relationships where you were the victim of domestic violence. And I genuinely mean this, I think that’s terrible. I’m not condoning it in anyway.

But, if it happens twice, as in you get into a relationship with a person who is capable of doing something like that twice, then you might need to adjust your prospective mate selection process. And look at any potential underlying issues.

Black kettles matter Clare.

But now that you mention it, you have stated that you have been in two relationships where you were the victim of domestic violence. And I genuinely mean this, I think that’s terrible. I’m not condoning it in anyway.

But, if it happens twice, as in you get into a relationship with a person who is capable of doing something like that twice, then you might need to adjust your prospective mate selection process. And look at any potential underlying issues.

You manage to be both condescending and patronizing while cloaking it all in a bottle of “eau de concern”. I agree that I made some poor choices in the past, however that doesn’t take from the fact that the fellas who behaved liked that are bullies with far greater issues. Let’s call a spade a spade.

In fairness it has brought about an interesting debate.

Yes, I agree, there are a few people who’ve posted in this thread who I wouldn’t give the time of day to, given what they’ve posted, almost boasting about hitting their partner.

The vast majority have said, and will continue to say “no I wouldn’t hit a woman, unless there was no avoiding it for my own personal safety”

I can’t see how you can say that is not a relevant point of view.

Given your last post, I'll leave it here. You're not normal.

• Advertisement

I agree that I made some poor choices in the past, however that doesn’t take from the fact that the fellas who behaved liked that are bullies with far greater issues. Let’s call a spade a spade.

Well that’s two things we can agree on.

I suspect that we’ll never agree as to whether sometimes violence is necessary, be it male on male, female on female or any other possible mix of the genders.

In my opinion, sometimes it can be justified, in a retaliatory manner, to prevent further injury to someone. Not always, and not just cos someone forgot to turn on the dishwasher (what happened in my friend’s case) but sometimes.

Given your last post, I'll leave it here. You're not normal.

I know I’m not. My mother always said I was very special.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Right, I've had enough of the back seat moderating and not just from yourself, but you're the latest example. If you don't like a thread subject, then you have the simple freedom to not read or engage with it. So from now on, no more posts about mods, moderation or troll accusations. Thank you.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Well that’s two things we can agree on.

I suspect that we’ll never agree as to whether sometimes violence is necessary, be it male on male, female on female or any other possible mix of the genders.

In my opinion, sometimes it can be justified, in a retaliatory manner, to prevent further injury to someone. Not always, and not just cos someone forgot to turn on the dishwasher (what happened in my friend’s case) but sometimes.

That’s the problem right there though - everyone has their own standards of what’s reasonable and what isn’t. Irish law allows for a justification of self defence already, but that doesn’t mean it permits anyone to take the law into their own hands. In the example you gave, yer mans wife didn’t see anything wrong with her behaviour, doesn’t sound like he saw a whole lot wrong with her behaviour either. But if he were to retaliate, then he puts himself at risk of being charged with assault and all the consequences of his actions. The more sensible course of action would be to report her behaviour to the Gardaí, but men in those circumstances I think we can both agree are unwilling to do that.

I’ve never been willing to do it, at a number of times throughout my life when it was easy for an outside observer to say I should have reported it and they’d understand if I retaliated and all the rest of it. What they didn’t seem to get is that I’ve always preferred to keep my shìt private, always have done. I don’t want to be putting that out there and especially not on the Internet where there are Inspector Clueless fcuks who I know will use it in future to try and undermine my opinions in another discussion. It happens on here all the time.

I’ve known plenty of men who have been the victims of violent partners, but they don’t retaliate because they’d rather maintain what bit of dignity they have left as a man, than view themselves as a scumbag for hitting a woman. That’s their own view of themselves. Other men may have no such conflict within themselves, and are pretty indiscriminate when their ego takes a bruising. I’d see those men as cowards and scumbags. That’s those men’s responsibility, but as far as I’m concerned I know which option is easier for me to live with.

And the person that she slept with was a man.

And the woman I married is a woman

And the children she had with me were girls

What's your point?

Let's get this straight; women can be strong, they can be violent and they can hurt men.

So the question is, if the woman defends herself from attack, is she justified in using force and striking her attacker?

That’s the problem right there though - everyone has their own standards of what’s reasonable and what isn’t. Irish law allows for a justification of self defence already, but that doesn’t mean it permits anyone to take the law into their own hands. In the example you gave, yer mans wife didn’t see anything wrong with her behaviour, doesn’t sound like he saw a whole lot wrong with her behaviour either. But if he were to retaliate, then he puts himself at risk of being charged with assault and all the consequences of his actions. The more sensible course of action would be to report her behaviour to the Gardaí, but men in those circumstances I think we can both agree are unwilling to do that.

I’ve never been willing to do it, at a number of times throughout my life when it was easy for an outside observer to say I should have reported it and they’d understand if I retaliated and all the rest of it. What they didn’t seem to get is that I’ve always preferred to keep my shìt private, always have done. I don’t want to be putting that out there and especially not on the Internet where there are Inspector Clueless fcuks who I know will use it in future to try and undermine my opinions in another discussion. It happens on here all the time.

I’ve known plenty of men who have been the victims of violent partners, but they don’t retaliate because they’d rather maintain what bit of dignity they have left as a man, than view themselves as a scumbag for hitting a woman. That’s their own view of themselves. Other men may have no such conflict within themselves, and are pretty indiscriminate when their ego takes a bruising. I’d see those men as cowards and scumbags. That’s those men’s responsibility, but as far as I’m concerned I know which option is easier for me to live with.

So they only have a little dignity left as a result of bring the victims of domestic violence?

Who mentioned egos? Only you.

Am I a scumbag?

Also, that's some nice victim blaming you did. I must have dropped my guard, only explanation in your head is I somehow let it happen. Of course you also claim having your guard up makes premeditation so really no winning.

So they only have a little dignity left as a result of bring the victims of domestic violence?

That’s not what I said. You’re doing Cathy Newman on it again.

Who mentioned egos? Only you.

Yeah, and?

Am I a scumbag?

If I were to give you a direct answer to that question, I could be banned for attacking the poster, not the post. Instead I’ll maintain as I have throughout this thread that any man who hits a woman is a scumbag IMO.

Also, that's some nice victim blaming you did. I must have dropped my guard, only explanation in your head is I somehow let it happen. Of course you also claim having your guard up makes premeditation so really no winning.

Oh give over with the “victim blaming” bollocks. You’ve portrayed yourself throughout this thread as RoboGarda, the only conclusion I can come to is that you must have suffered some sort of malfunction that all your training and experience and expertise hadn’t accounted for against a woman who it’s pretty safe to assume is determined to kill you by whatever means possible.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

If I were to give you a direct answer to that question, I could be banned for attacking the poster, not the post. Instead I’ll maintain as I have throughout this thread that any man who hits a woman is a scumbag IMO.
    I hate to break it to you, but you'll be banned for an indirect answer and the above is not exactly indirect. No more.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

That’s not what I said. You’re doing Cathy Newman on it again.

Yeah, and?

Oh give over with the “victim blaming” bollocks. You’ve portrayed yourself throughout this thread as RoboGarda, the only conclusion I can come to is that you must have suffered some sort of malfunction that all your training and experience and expertise hadn’t accounted for against a woman who it’s pretty safe to assume is determined to kill you by whatever means possible.

Of course it's victim blaming. I haven't made myself into anything. I told you a factual story about being injured by a woman. That's all. You in turn have insinuated a number of times that it was my own fault by failing in some way to prevent the injury but yet by defending myself, I'm a coward and a scumbag.

Strumm however isn't a coward because his attacker was male. That's some equality.

You clearly stated that putting your defences up and being prepared for an attack was premeditation and if you struck back, it was assault. I can quote you on that. It's wrong but you still stand by it. You then claim I was hit because I failed to keep my guard up.

I'm really, genuinely baffled and can only assume you have gone so far in defence of your argument that you are getting yourself in a knot and simple can't admit you were wrong. The alternative is lunacy.

• Advertisement

Of course it's victim blaming. I haven't made myself into anything. I told you a factual story about being injured by a woman. That's all. You in turn have insinuated a number of times that it was my own fault by failing in some way to prevent the injury but yet by defending myself, I'm a coward and a scumbag.

No I didn’t insinuate it was your own fault. I’ve said now a number of times that she was a scumbag, responsible for her own actions. I’ve also said you didn’t deserve to be stabbed.

Strumm however isn't a coward because his attacker was male. That's some equality.

Maybe that’s where the misunderstanding is. You appear to care about gender equality or something like that whereas I don’t care one bit for equality.

You clearly stated that putting your defences up and being prepared for an attack was premeditation and if you struck back, it was assault. I can quote you on that. It's wrong but you still stand by it. You then claim I was hit because I failed to keep my guard up.

I'm really, genuinely baffled and can only assume you have gone so far in defence of your argument that you are getting yourself in a knot and simple can't admit you were wrong. The alternative is lunacy.

You can’t quote me on that because you’d be taking what I said out of context. I said that preparing to attack someone was premeditated. That’s not putting their defences up when nobody has attacked them. I didn’t claim you were hit either because you failed to keep your guard up. I specifically made the point that you were stabbed in the neck by a woman who it’s safe to assume was determined to kill you. That’s entirely on her. It wasn’t your fault. I’ve been unequivocal in that.

If you’re referring to the point I made that I tell women not to carry their keys like a weapon, I stand by that point. Not only is it unlikely to go well for them, but they could also find themselves charged with assault even though they may be able to argue self defence as a justification for their actions. It would depend upon the harm they caused to the other person who initially attacked them.

That’s why I linked to the article where the guy was claiming he acted in self defence and ‘she started it’ and all the rest of it. It just didn’t wash.

As regards your linking to the story of the woman who was charged with murder for stabbing a man, I’ve never argued that women couldn’t be violent, which seemed to have been the point you were making. I only got that afterwards because I didn’t see the self-defence angle in that story. Much like your own circumstances, as I said - she was determined to kill him, same as the woman in your story was determined to kill you. That’s not saying you were responsible for someone else’s actions when someone else chose to stab you.

They obviously had insight and an advantage in that scenario which you didn’t. Same as the person who attacks a woman carrying keys who has been advised to knee her attacker in the balls and run - their attacker has an obvious advantage of greater awareness in that scenario too.

Advertisement