Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you ever hit a woman?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭global23214124

I would hit somebody if I was under treat from someone and I percieved them to be a danger. I don't think there gender comes into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I can say hand on heart that “looking good”, or virtue signalling among anonymous randomers on social media, has never been of any concern to me whatsoever :pac:
    Maybe not, but you seem to get into an awful lot of heated discussions where you end up arguing on your own with nobody else agreeing with you. In a way I kind of admire the persistence. That takes some dedication.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

bunderoon wrote: »
    "Arent likely to be honest about it" well of course YOU'd think that... backed by zero evidence. But that is the person you are. More power to you.

Yeah, all those men admitting to hitting women, right?

Of course there’s fcukall evidence of men who are willing to admit to hitting women, those women are just hitting themselves, right? :rolleyes:

Maybe not, but you seem to get into an awful lot of heated discussions where you end up arguing on your own with nobody else agreeing with you. In a way I kind of admire the persistence. That takes some dedication.

Honestly it’s not intentional (hence why I don’t bother posting in A&A or LGBT forum any more), and there’s plenty of threads I avoid in AH, CA and even TGC, but at the start of a thread I wouldn’t assume it was controversial to say I’d never hit a woman. I expect most men wouldn’t, not even if they were under threat from a woman.

A small number of men wouldn’t have any qualms about hitting a woman and wouldn’t give a shìte about signalling their virtues on social media, but those are the types of men that SOME feminists tend to focus on and use as examples when they talk about “male violence”, “toxic masculinity” and “rape culture” painting something of a caricature of men.

Battling those narratives isn’t helped by men contributing to the perception that we lack self control.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

I would have properly clarified for you if I’d known the actual intent of your question. Really basic -

Would I ever hit a man? Yes.

Would ever I hit a woman? No.

Circumstances are irrelevant as far as I’m concerned, I wouldn’t have to be in any danger before I’d hit a man, and I wouldn’t hit a woman even if I were in danger.

Jack, I’ve just lost a little respect for you.

Can you expand on what reasons you’d hit a man? If a bloke was annoying you down the pub, really getting under the skin, would that be justification in your mind for resorting to violence?
    Attack is one means of defending oneself or others, retreat is another, that’s what is meant by self defence. The idea of hitting someone is justifiable as a last resort only, as opposed to the idea some people have here that hitting a woman is the first thing they’d do. In reality they’d likely hesitate not knowing what to do in that situation, and that could cost them if a woman doesn’t have the same moral compass they do :pac:

In relation to the above, there are only one or two posters on this thread (and I think we’ll all agree that they are the lowest of the low) for whom hitting a woman is the first thing they’d do.

The rest of us, well you know my stance. Violence is the last resort in an escalating scale.

Initial reaction to being attacked by a woman would be to push her away and get myself out of whatever situation I was in. My second reaction if the push failed would be a good hard shove and land her on her arse, and again, get myself out of her reach, and out of the situation. If both of them failed or she came at me with a weapon, then I would use violence. Just enough to prevent myself or my family from being hurt.

• Advertisement

Jack, I’ve just lost a little respect for you.

Can you expand on what reasons you’d hit a man? If a bloke was annoying you down the pub, really getting under the skin, would that be justification in your mind for resorting to violence?

Ahh no, he’d have to be threatening others or putting someone else’s safety at risk, but a fella mouthing off, while he might strike a nerve, I wouldn’t get physical. Lads like that are generally a lot more vulnerable anyway to serious injury and I’d feel guilty if I did. I did once alright cause a fella I worked with serious injury when he made threats about my wife’s safety. He’d been making the same sort of snide remarks for months and I didn’t give a ****e, but that day he just went that one step too far. I felt terrible about it after because the chap was pure weedy. I knew he had the means of making good on his threat, I just wasn’t prepared to give him the opportunity.

In relation to the above, there are only one or two posters on this thread (and I think we’ll all agree that they are the lowest of the low) for whom hitting a woman is the first thing they’d do.

The rest of us, well you know my stance. Violence is the last resort in an escalating scale.

Initial reaction to being attacked by a woman would be to push her away and get myself out of whatever situation I was in. My second reaction if the push failed would be a good hard shove and land her on her arse, and again, get myself out of her reach, and out of the situation. If both of them failed or she came at me with a weapon, then I would use violence. Just enough to prevent myself or my family from being hurt.

Yeah and I can totally get that from any guy that they’d only resort to it as an absolute last resort. For me like when my wife came at me with a knife I just didn’t feel like she was still any threat and I knew I was capable of disarming her without injuring her. Fcuked the knife block in the bin then so she didn’t have the opportunity to try that again, with the knifes at least :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Clare Kat

maybe i'm lucky, maybe i'm stunningly naive, but i just don't understand how anyone could love someone who treats them that way.

Maybe you’re just very judgmental, and ignorant of how cunning the abuser is. Perhaps you might like to read Wibbs’ post.

Wibbs, are you still happy with this thread going on? You could have killed it days ago.

Yeah and I can totally get that from any guy that they’d only resort to it as an absolute last resort. :

No, you have consistently stated that men that do that are cowards and up wouldn't, never ever ever.
    For me like when my wife came at me with a knife I just didn’t feel like she was still any threat and I knew I was capable of disarming her without injuring her. Fcuked the knife block in the bin then so she didn’t have the opportunity to try that again, with the knifes at least :pac:

How was she not still a threat? How did you disarm her without using force?
    Circumstances are irrelevant as far as I’m concerned, I wouldn’t have to be in any danger before I’d hit a man

And you have the gall to look down your nose at me as a coward and a scumbag?

Wibbs, are you still happy with this thread going on? You could have killed it days ago.

Why does it bother you that people are engaging in debate?

• Advertisement

I think it's kinda reckless to keep this going. Twitter could end boards because of this thread.

I don't see how there is any value to keep it going.

It's not a debate at this point, it's just back and forth in a really ugly titled thread.

Everyone has already said all they're going to say over the last two weeks. It's done.

No, you have consistently stated that men that do that are cowards and up wouldn't, never ever ever.

And? You say that like I don’t have the capacity to understand where someone is coming from and still think what I will of them at the same time?

How was she not still a threat? How did you disarm her without using force?

Because she was never a threat in the first place, you think I don’t know my own wife? I just don’t get all hysterical and lose the plot when I’m not in control of a situation. How did I disarm her without using force? I took the knife off her, that’s how, like I said without causing injury; not ‘without force’ as you said.

And I threw out the rest of them. No need for any dramatics.

And you have the gall to look down your nose at me as a coward and a scumbag?

Oh no sure you’re just peachy altogether.

You're both idiots. Good luck.

And? You say that like I don’t have the capacity to understand where someone is coming from and still think what I will of them at the same time?.

Generally when people say they understand why someone would act in a certain way it implies a degree of empathy but I can see your meaning is 'I understand that inferior men would be afraid and not super ninjas capable of bypassing all danger from a woman'.
    Because she was never a threat in the first place, you think I don’t know my own wife? I just don’t get all hysterical and lose the plot when I’m not in control of a situation. How did I disarm her? I took the knife off her, that’s how, and I threw out the rest of them. No need for any dramatics.

If she was never a threat why throw out the knives? Surely they served a fairly daily purpose?
    Oh no sure you’re just peachy altogether.

Well I must be. My wife has never attacked me with a knife and she's pretty volatile.

If she was never a threat why throw out the knives? Surely they served a fairly daily purpose?

Because while I didn’t consider her a threat to my safety she was a threat to herself. Do I really need to spell that out like? Surely you could have figured that out? That’s why I threw out the knives, in case she thought to use them on herself.

Because while I didn’t consider her a threat to my safety she was a threat to herself. Do I really need to spell that out like? Surely you could have figured that out? That’s why I threw out the knives, in case she thought to use them on herself.

I could but I find issues with it all. What the hell do you cut your steak with?

I could but I find issues with it all. What the hell do you cut your steak with?

My what? :pac:

Nah of course I cut meat with a normal knife. These were those big knives that people have in their kitchens like you’d see on those cookery programmes. It’s not like we ever actually used them, they were just there for decoration really.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭utmbuilder

Yes

Clare Kat wrote: »
    Maybe you’re just very judgmental, and ignorant of how cunning the abuser is. Perhaps you might like to read Wibbs’ post.

Clare, when I said I don’t understand that wasn’t a judgey I don’t understand, it was a genuine I don’t understand.

But I’ve read Wibbs’ post. And in a certain way it does make sense. But like I’ve said, maybe I’ve been lucky and the women in my life, my mother, my two sisters, my wife, have never been in those situations and so I’ve never experienced it.

There is a difference in asking a genuine question and being judgemental.

EDIT

by the way, it works both ways. Men are just as likely to be psychologically abused by their partner. My friend for example, who was physically assaulted by his wife, then verbally abused.
    As I mentioned earlier, the physical stuff was open handed slaps which left marks but nothing serious (as in no serious injury) then verbal abuse asking what sort of man he is. All that would come under psychological abuse in my book.

And I still don’t understand why he hasn’t told her to do one. Not in a judgemental way, but in a that doesn’t make sense to me way.

Clare, when I said I don’t understand that wasn’t a judgey I don’t understand, it was a genuine I don’t understand.

But I’ve read Wibbs’ post. And in a certain way it does make sense. But like I’ve said, maybe I’ve been lucky and the women in my life, my mother, my two sisters, my wife, have never been in those situations and so I’ve never experienced it.

EDIT

by the way, it works both ways. Men are just as likely to be psychologically abused by their partner. My friend for example, who was physically assaulted by his wife, then verbally abused.
    As I mentioned earlier, the physical stuff was open handed slaps which left marks but nothing serious (as in no serious injury) then verbal abuse asking what sort of man he is. All that would come under psychological abuse in my book.

And I still don’t understand why he hasn’t told her to do one. Not in a judgemental way, but in a that doesn’t make sense to me way.

Nah... you’re not “judgey”. Perhaps I need to look at my prospective male selection process seeing as it happened to me in two separate relationships, and while I’m at it look at my underlying issues. Careful now that you don’t fall down off your high horse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

https://youtu.be/YJWfObq2cFk

https://youtu.be/YJWfObq2cFk

A time when men were men, who ate meat, drove petrol guzzling 2.0ltr+ cars, got their nails dirty and smoked

Today it’s all Vegans, Hyundai’s, manicures, bleaching, waxing and vaping.

To answer the OP question, no. I have restrained an ex in the past to stop her killing someone else, but no I’d never hit a woman for any reason even in self defence.

Nah... you’re not “judgey”. Perhaps I need to look at my prospective male selection process seeing as it happened to me in two separate relationships, and while I’m at it look at my underlying issues. Careful now that you don’t fall down off your high horse.

I'm grand up here thanks Clare. Cos the horse is so high it's easy to step over that massive chip on your shoulder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭sweet_trip

Oh look, it's the old time classic thread where people discuss in detail how they'd hit a woman no problem.

11 pages of classics with such posts as "i'd break a womans jaw in a heartbeat if one tried to slap me" (50 thanks).

But this time, it's on the "gentlemans" forum. Created by the renowned gentleman, mr fegelian.

sweet_trip wrote: »
    Oh look, it's the old time classic thread where people discuss in detail how they'd hit a woman no problem.

11 pages of classics with such posts as "i'd break a womans jaw in a heartbeat if one tried to slap me" (50 thanks).

But this time, it's on the "gentlemans" forum. Created by the renowned gentleman, mr fegelian.

Have you actually read the thread? Or are you just jumping to conclusions, like other posters on here?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Nudain don't post in this thread again.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Please point out the 50 thanks post where a poster has said they'd break a woman's jaw in a heartbeat no problem. Oh wait... there isn't one. The most thanked post I can see is the second one. Though 42 thanks, not 50 but we'll allow for exaggeration on your part here and let's have a read of that again for clarity shall we?
    jimgoose wrote: »
    If someone comes at me and is obviously preparing to do damage they'll get a couple of fast cracks, regardless of gender, so yes. And at 6' 2'' and nearly 17 stone, they will feel it.

Hmmm... No mention of jaw breaking or heartbeats or women. Indeed the poster clearly states regardless of gender.

So you're either misreading to quite the degree for whatever reason, or fibbing for effect in the hope if people just read your post they'll believe the BS, or so fired up on "how dare you even discuss the subject" you're imagining things.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Studies have been performed and it is indeed true that people that are in abusive relationships tend to be in multiple where they leave the abusive partner and are with a new partner.

I'm not going to guess the reasoning for this and no one here is victim blaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

EDIT

Fear is a powerful tool.

I'm grand up here thanks Clare. Cos the horse is so high it's easy to step over that massive chip on your shoulder

While you’re up there be careful not to have too many recollections. You might just fall off.

• Advertisement

My sentiments exactly. Very few gentlemen here.

Advertisement