Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Links Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Played the European Club many times before. In winter off the Blues once it was beyond my comfort zone. Totally beat me up.

Played it once on a rare calm sunny day and scored well. But that has only ever been one time.

Mostly it gets the better of you.

It's a fantastic golf course. Brilliant design, tough, ye will need every club and more in the bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭mk7775

Portrush offering a whole lot more than Portmarnock tbf. A far superior golf course first and foremost, an Open venue, an open comp, range balls, a trackman experience on the 1st tee, nosh. Id seriously consider this one, whereas I wouldnt consider Portmarnock with their offering.

Just wondering if anyone would be interested in booking a two ball with me for Portrush for next Tuesday? None of my golfing mates are free and it's killing me to miss it! Nearly all tee times gone already.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,808 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Just go, if you really want to play it take your chance, bound to be slow enough and hopefully you'll end up in a decent group.
    You've just as good chance to end up enjoying it with strangers than randomers on the internet.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

I would but it seems you have to book a two ball!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭willabur

ring them

• Advertisement

I did, they confirmed two balls only. Nearly booked out now, only next Tuesday still available!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

yea its a fourball betterball open so you need the 2. Maybe chance booking it and hopefully you will get someone?

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

etxp wrote: »
    yea its a fourball betterball open so you need the 2. Maybe chance booking it and hopefully you will get someone?

fourball betterball as two teams of 2? Or fourball betterball where best 2 scores count out of the 4?

wardides wrote: »
    fourball betterball as two teams of 2? Or fourball betterball where best 2 scores count out of the 4?

Teams of 2.

I have never heard of a fourball better ball being played where its a team of 4, although apparently its a thing. second time I have been asked that this week. It was a new one on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

Teams of 2.

I have never heard of a fourball better ball being played where its a team of 4, although apparently its a thing. second time I have been asked that this week. It was a new one on me.

Couple of 4 man team events in our club, generally 2 scores on every hole and then everyone to score on par 3's or 5s etc.

• Advertisement

wardides wrote: »
    Couple of 4 man team events in our club, generally 2 scores on every hole and then everyone to score on par 3's or 5s etc.

Yea we have them but they usually get call Am/Am comps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

The Island have also announced a GUI rate of €130.

I'm aware most will scoff and call it too expensive as they did at the Portmarnock rate but don't shoot the messenger.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭blue note

That's an outrageous price, how dare they!?!

They need to read their constitution and remember that they exist to provide affordable golf to the masses. If anything, they should be paying me to play it.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

Priced a 4 ball in Waterville. €480 for 4.
    La Hinch is still not open to visitors for another couple of weeks apparently. Not sure why. But at the moment its €240 per person.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

How do people rate The island? Might book it at that price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Great course. Not excessively long but difficult. Always enjoyable though, esp if you get the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

It’s absolutely excellent, people try compare it to Portmarnock as both in Dublin but they couldn’t be more different. The Island is more of a West coast style links, carved through massive dunes. Every hole feels like an Island.

It’s not an easy track but it’s absolutely exceptional.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭londonred

Strandhill Open Week from 27/07/2020 to 03/08/2020 €30 , played there during the week and course in great condition .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

I'm a member at the Island and if you wanted a proper true test, well, you will get it now.

The course is in fantastic condition and the changes to the front 9 (3 new holes) are excellent.

It's very challenging with the way the rough is!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,106 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

londonred wrote: »
    Strandhill Open Week from 27/07/2020 to 03/08/2020 €30 , played there during the week and course in great condition .

Doesn't seem to be anything up re that week via BRS booking. Surprised to see that they're charging 100 a round now for a normal visitor green fee.

• Advertisement

Booked in for County Sligo open week, looking forward to a return!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭willabur

I'm a member at the Island and if you wanted a proper true test, well, you will get it now.

The course is in fantastic condition and the changes to the front 9 (3 new holes) are excellent.

It's very challenging with the way the rough is!

It looks amazing, conditioning is top notch from where I get the odd glympse of it (from corballis). If I don't get a chance to play it in interclubs I might stump up to play it at least once.

PARlance wrote: »
    Doesn't seem to be anything up re that week via BRS booking. Surprised to see that they're charging 100 a round now for a normal visitor green fee.

I emailed them and the GUI rate was €65 outside of open week.

I emailed them and the GUI rate was €65 outside of open week.

Ah ok, they've 100 up as rack rate on BRS for visitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

PARlance wrote: »
    Ah ok, they've 100 up as rack rate on BRS for visitors.

It’s also €180 to play Sligo + Enniscrone + Strandhill if you had the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

Lahinch GUI rate is €150 for anyone interested, don't want to hear whether it's good, bad, mediocre value.

It's a simply superb course

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭rooney30

Lahinch GUI rate is €150 for anyone interested, don't want to hear whether it's good, bad, mediocre value.

Do they not realise we are Gui members god damn it !!!!!!!! 50 euro , no more , no less

• Registered Users Posts: 21,216 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Is that valid until a certain time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

Mushy wrote: »
    Is that valid until a certain time?

Not sure but presume it will be valid for this season anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bmay529

Has the rate changed recently because I rang Lahinch about 6/8 weeks ago and was told the GUI rate was €170!!

Advertisement