Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Links Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Ally McIntosh

Mushy wrote: »
    And there'll be another at Rosapenna I think its next year, the St Patrick's course. Designed by lad who's done some great looking course worldwide

The new course at St Patrick’s will be a stunner, a genuine Ireland top-10, maybe even scratching the top-5.

I spent a bit of time on the land myself in 2013; and have seen some of the holes and construction work that Doak and crew have been doing. It’s going to be an exciting addition.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,216 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

The new course at St Patrick’s will be a stunner, a genuine Ireland top-10, maybe even scratching the top-5.

I spent a bit of time on the land myself in 2013; and have seen some of the holes and construction work that Doak and crew have been doing. It’s going to be an exciting addition.

Might save it for next year and do a family holiday up to do all 3. Normally up 2/3 times a year anyway, but an all 3 package may be worthwhile

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

Portmarnock GUI email is out. €150 a head, can't book a 1 or 2 ball.

Selected times during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

so €30 off the pre-COVID rate ?

I'll pass....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Just got that too.
    Fair play Portmarnock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

so €30 off the pre-COVID rate

I think summer time green fee midweek is €250.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭bustercherry

RoadRunner wrote: »
    I think summer time green fee is €275.

Yeah but surely you know the expectation was €50?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭willabur

Yeah but surely you know the expectation was €50?

I don't think anyone in their right mind expected them to drop it to 50 quid. 150 seems about right

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭blue note

It's exactly the amount I guessed it would be. I'd say if they can fill out the timesheet in fourballs paying that they won't be far off their weekly income when they're full of Americans. I can't imagine the golf tour companies are paying anything like full green fees to the clubs when they supply them with a few hundred / thousand bookings over a summer.

I probably won't bother for that price. I should play it sometime considering I can see if from my rooftop, but I don't know when.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

I don’t think it’s worth that but it’s a matter of opinion. Maybe a links purist would consider it money well spent but 90% of the golfing population would scratch their heads at paying €150.

The european is half the price at €75 at the moment. It’s in superb condition as well. I got a very warm welcome when I played it too. Doesn’t have the history but it’s a more spectacular setting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭paulos53

€150 Monday to Thursday Morning. €175 on Thursday Afternoon and Fridays

Possible discounts for groups of 16 or more but that price wasn't in the email

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭rooney30

blue note wrote: »
    It's exactly the amount I guessed it would be. I'd say if they can fill out the timesheet in fourballs paying that they won't be far off their weekly income when they're full of Americans. I can't imagine the golf tour companies are paying anything like full green fees to the clubs when they supply them with a few hundred / thousand bookings over a summer.

I probably won't bother for that price. I should play it sometime considering I can see if from my rooftop, but I don't know when.

As far as I know golf tour companies do pay the full green fee or close enough

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

I was hoping for €100 - €120 for portmarnock maybe unrealistically so. Still might go for the 150 in the coming weeks

Playing European Club on Friday for 75 so looking forward to that

• Registered Users Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Think I noticed a couple of 4 ball slots on the sheet for 525, so maybe slightly better rates again for off peak times

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

No thanks

Rosses point €50
    Ballyliffin €40
    Portrush £50
    Portstewart Strand £50 (36 holes)
    RCD £50

That'll keep me occupied over next few years

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

No thanks

Rosses point €50
    Ballyliffin €40
    Portrush £50
    RCD £50

Where or how are you getting these prices?

etxp wrote: »
    Where or how are you getting these prices?

Opens, open weeks, scratch cups and charity days

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭rooney30

No thanks

Rosses point €50
    Ballyliffin €40
    Portrush £50
    RCD £50

Next few years ??? Rest of this year and possibly next , then normal service will resume 2022 I’d say , vaccine dependent

rooney30 wrote: »
    Next few years ??? Rest of this year and possibly next , then normal service will resume 2022 I’d say , vaccine dependent

Those fees were all paid before covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,820 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

No thanks

Rosses point €50
    Ballyliffin €40
    Portrush £50
    RCD £50

I wouldn't bank on years - they will be put straight back up ?

• Advertisement

On reflection - fair play to them reaching out.

But at 150 - they are still out of touching distance. Still very safe. Won't be the local pub engulfing them just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭thewobbler

Opens, open weeks, scratch cups and charity days

I can’t find an open day between Portstewart, Portrush and RCD this year.

Maybe you are a mason?

On reflection - fair play to them reaching out.

But at 150 - they are still out of touching distance. Still very safe. Won't be the local pub engulfing them just yet.

Sure that’s not what they want.

They want 3 or 4 groups a day. They’ll get that at 150 a pop.

Some people are less price sensitive than others, if you’re not willing to pay it that doesn’t make it the wrong price. They are freeing up a few slots a day and they need minimal demand to consume what they are willing to supply. That level of demand exists at 150.

None of this is directed at you, it’s a general point.

thewobbler wrote: »

Maybe you are a mason?

I know the RCD is available during the open week of Mourne GC, getting a slot is like getting sought after concert tickets though.

Would appreciate intel on the route onto other two.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

If I was within 30 minutes of it I would have no problem paying the 150. But being from nearly as west as you can get in Mayo and having played Old Head last week this deal is out of my Reach unfortunately.

however I am playing Carne and county Sligo in the coming weeks and hopefully Strandhill this summer for not far off the 150. so that will keep me going. Havent played either of the Sligo courses before.

I'm going to start collecting pitch mark repair tools from each links i have played and make a display of them and hopefully complete the full set of Irish courses. Only have 5 at the moment :(

thewobbler wrote: »

Maybe you are a mason?

RCD has an open week through mourne club.
    Portstewart has senior/junior scratch cups.
    Portrush has a charity 4ballBB comp

Covid has affected some of these but my point is, i personally won't be paying €150 for portmarnock when those have been available in the past and will be again in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

Was supposed to play old Head but a thick mist descended on the course and for health and safety reasons it was closed. I think groups got out later in the day alright around 3. We waited around for 3 hours but no luck. Very frustrating. Would I be a bit self entitled to suggest that a phone call to the person who booked might have been an idea. Some people not in our group came down from Northern Ireland, Dublin etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

Luckily got to play Portmarnock recently for €50 with a member so will pass on the €150. Also could be playing them in next round of Junior Cup so will try get a practice round in too!

Playing Enniscrone and Carne later in the years, 2 nights B&B and green fees for €260. That is a bargain for me.

Will scout around a few other opens and see if any work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

frink wrote: »
    Luckily got to play Portmarnock recently for €50 with a member so will pass on the €150. Also could be playing them in next round of Junior Cup so will try get a practice round in too!

Playing Enniscrone and Carne later in the years, 2 nights B&B and green fees for €260. That is a bargain for me.

Will scout around a few other opens and see if any work.

No practice rounds guaranteed for the interclubs this year.

• Advertisement

Sure that’s not what they want.

They want 3 or 4 groups a day. They’ll get that at 150 a pop.

Some people are less price sensitive than others, if you’re not willing to pay it that doesn’t make it the wrong price. They are freeing up a few slots a day and they need minimal demand to consume what they are willing to supply. That level of demand exists at 150.

None of this is directed at you, it’s a general point.

Is this what you think ? Because this is not the way they have rolled this out. They have sent emails, referred to it in social media with far more open language.

"We are delighted to be able to bring some attractive green fee rates to members of affiliated clubs across Ireland and we hope that this will give you the opportunity to visit us for a game this year! These rates are now available for you to book online and are available at various times throughout the week."

So yes they have given the opportunity - but 150 - is a bit out of step with rates elsewhere.

Yes they made an effort. Fair play.

Advertisement