Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Links Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 purdy1984

That is some value! How did you get it for 130 can I ask? Would love to play it but regular green fee is just too high....

It's a GUI member rate they have until 2nd Aug. No Americans so they happy to take our money now 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

Open Week in Rosses Point runs from 01-Aug to 09-Aug

Competition Name Format Date Green Fee
    Open Week Gents and Ladies 4-Person Team Saturday Visitors €50.00
    01-Aug-20 Members €6.00
    Open Week Gents Singles Stroke Sunday Visitors €50.00
    02-Aug-20 Members €6.00
    Open Week Ladies Singles Stableford Monday Visitors €50.00
    03-Aug-20 Members €6.00
    Open Week Gents Singles Stableford Monday Visitors €50.00
    03-Aug-20 Members €6.00
    Open Week Ladies Singles Stableford Tuesday Visitors €50.00
    04-Aug-20 Members €6.00
    Open Week Gents Singles V-Par Wednesday Visitors €50.00
    05-Aug-20 Members €6.00
    Open Week Ladies Foursomes Stableford Thursday Visitors €40.00
    06-Aug-20 Members €5.00
    Open Week Gents Foursomes Stableford Thursday Visitors €40.00
    06-Aug-20 Members €5.00
    Open Week Ladies Singles Stableford Friday Visitors €50.00
    07-Aug-20 Members €6.00
    Open Week Gents Singles Stableford Friday Visitors €50.00
    07-Aug-20 Members €6.00
    Open Week Gents Four Ball Betterball Saturday Visitors €50.00
    08-Aug-20 Members €6.00
    Open Week Ladies Four Ball Betterball Saturday Visitors €50.00
    08-Aug-20 Members €6.00
    Open Week Gents Singles Stableford Sunday Visitors €50.00
    09-Aug-20 Members €6.00

https://www.brsgolf.com/countysligo/opens_home.php

• Registered Users Posts: 4,516 ✭✭✭blue note

Would someone mind posting up the Portmarnock rate when you find out? I live in portmarnock, so wouldn't popping down some day.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,427 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

blue note wrote: »
    Would someone mind posting up the Portmarnock rate when you find out? I live in portmarnock, so wouldn't popping down some day.

Ditto on this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

:) excellent re: Portmarnock! Great to see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,516 ✭✭✭blue note

Judging by the responses I reckon Portmarnock will have plenty of demand from within Ireland to charge huge fees still. I'm wondering now if it will be around the €150 mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

blue note wrote: »
    Judging by the responses I reckon Portmarnock will have plenty of demand from within Ireland to charge huge fees still. I'm wondering now if it will be around the €150 mark.

Yes, bit worried about this myself. Ive played it once and would love to play it again, but I wont be paying over 100e for the privilege. It is brilliantly designed and maintained, is probably one of the fairest links courses Ive played and has some cracking holes but 3 figures is pushing it when theyre not even offering an open competition.
    Id considered paying the 130e for Old Head (and wouldv jumped at the 90e open comp) but that's a bucket lister Ive yet to play and it looks spectacular, way beyond the relatively flat test that is Portmarnock. I suppose if you havent played it, the allure might prompt people to splash out, but I wont be amongst that cohort. Truth be told, many have made what is (to me anyway) the quite reasonable assertion that Portmarnock is not even the best course in Dublin, never mind Leinster or the Republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭willabur

I might get a chance to play it for free later in the summer but if I don't id definitely pay 150 to play it once. I see it pretty much every evening when I'm walking the dog so it's an itch is going to be scratched sooner or later

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭tropics001

anyone hear back from portmarnock?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

tropics001 wrote: »
    anyone hear back from portmarnock?

I haven't anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Haven't heard back yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,817 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

etxp wrote: »
    Haven't heard back yet.

Did ye send emails guys ?

willabur wrote: »
    I might get a chance to play it for free later in the summer but if I don't id definitely pay 150 to play it once. I see it pretty much every evening when I'm walking the dog so it's an itch is going to be scratched sooner or later

For Dubs I think this is a particular frustration - it is not out of sight, out of mind.

Same with Royal Dublin - but with "Royaler" - there is no doubt it is what it is.
    There is a sort of honesty with what Royal Dublin do. :D

Yes, bit worried about this myself. Ive played it once and would love to play it again, but I wont be paying over 100e for the privilege. It is brilliantly designed and maintained, is probably one of the fairest links courses Ive played and has some cracking holes but 3 figures is pushing it when theyre not even offering an open competition.
    Id considered paying the 130e for Old Head (and wouldv jumped at the 90e open comp) but that's a bucket lister Ive yet to play and it looks spectacular, way beyond the relatively flat test that is Portmarnock. I suppose if you havent played it, the allure might prompt people to splash out, but I wont be amongst that cohort. Truth be told, many have made what is (to me anyway) the quite reasonable assertion that Portmarnock is not even the best course in Dublin, never mind Leinster or the Republic.

Portmarnock not as good as The Island anyway - and The Island is getting better and better every few years.

Condition of Portmarnock stunning - but The Island almost there too.

I personally love Baltray - incredible isolation and mix of Links holes.

But we all know the West is where it is at.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

Did ye send emails guys ?

there was an online form we all filled out.

Maybe some lads emailled directly.

there was an online form we all filled out.

Maybe some lads emailled directly.

On their website ? what section ?

Thanks for info - will be interesting how all this pans out.
    You couldn't pay me to play any of them today - some rain.

Heading to Donegal end of next month - should knock 3 off the list at that point.

I'm beginning to wonder where do you go after you play them all. See Kevin Markham hit Scotland etc.

But to be honest it takes so long to play them all in Ireland - it is time to start the round again when it is all over.

Reading a course called Ireland

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/golf/coyne-still-cant-resist-the-call-of-irish-golf-911836.html

I do admire the dude and he is a great writer - but it is hard to get past how stupid the idea is. It makes no sense - hard enough to walk for 4/5 hours on a Links, but to walk to every course ?

Ireland is a stunning country - but you do not walk it , it fundamental is a coastal country with roads not designed to walk and drive on at the same time. The two are not compatible and just dangerous.

Then on top of that - being physically exhausted , has a significant impact on your golf and enjoyment of it (even if he was young enough at time), I often think guys who do something like that are trying to find something in themselves or their past - that they probably can't find.

To be honest - I've run out of ideas on the east coast - don't get me wrong , I love a big day out on one of the big ones.

But there is something very very special about that first time out , on a place that you have never been , or seen , or even imagined.

That first time you see the dunes in The Island , or Ballybunion or that coastal run in Enniscrone. I'm looking forward to North Donegal for that reason.

Or maybe - I'm looking for something I can't find :)

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭a post punk

I got out with a society on saturday at the Old Head €90 green fee. First time ever playing it. 20 degrees driving up in the car , climbed the hill to the entrance and the clouds lay ahead. Totally different weather conditions. Hit the range first and couldn’t believe how far you had to hit it left to account for the gale pushing back. We ended up starting on the 10th and the first 3 holes were hazey at best. Then it cleared for a bit to reveal what a bucket list course it is to play. I’m a high handicapper so was very happy to get 2 pars on the day and make a 5 on the razors edge. The last 3 holes we played 7-9 were unplayable with the fog that came down as you could not see the ball once it left the tee. Overall a very enjoyable day but will have to return to see its full splendour. Also I was expecting Sandy links fairways like Portmarnock not lush green grassy fairways.
    PP

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭thewobbler

Played Seapoint this morning, 35e open. It’s in truly xceptional condition. First time there in 3 years and it’s starting to feel more linksy, with only the 5th feeling like it could be Cavan or Offaly. The re to of it is joining up nicely.

A lack of wind made it very playable for my playing partners, less so for me.

• Advertisement

thewobbler wrote: »
    Played Seapoint this morning, 35e open. It’s in truly xceptional condition. First time there in 3 years and it’s starting to feel more linksy, with only the 5th feeling like it could be Cavan or Offaly. The re to of it is joining up nicely.

A lack of wind made it very playable for my playing partners, less so for me.

:eek::eek:

Was there no rain ?

I played it this year - and walked away going, that is a very underrated course.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭thewobbler

:eek::eek:

Was there no rain ?

I played it this year - and walked away going, that is a very underrated course.

Plenty of rain but next to no wind. Made for receptive greens, but still plenty of run on the fairways. Hence a lot of options on most holes.

I should have worn my winter shoes though: lost balance on a few drives!

Agree with you. It is underrated. It was always a good course, but it’s maturing into a very good one. Serious attention to conditioning too.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Also I was expecting Sandy links fairways like Portmarnock not lush green grassy fairways.
    PP

You have to go to a links course to get links fairways...

* runs and hides*

• Registered Users Posts: 21,208 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Is the old head an actual links course? From pics I see it as more a course on a cliff beside the sea rather than what I'd see as a traditional links (something like Enniscrone).

Off to play Donegal tomorrow, really looking forward to it

EDIT: Just see PARlance post now

Mushy wrote: »
    Is the old head an actual links course? From pics I see it as more a course on a cliff beside the sea rather than what I'd see as a traditional links (something like Enniscrone).

It "Links" to the sea - but it is not a Links that the Irish know as a links.

Parts of it , feel sort of fake and an american course - not far of a Spanish / Portuguese course in places.

It is all about the cliff holes and they are incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Salvadoor

PARlance wrote: »
    You have to go to a links course to get links fairways...
    PARlance wrote: »
    * runs and hides*

Agreed. Old Head is not a links course

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Mushy wrote: »

EDIT: Just see PARlance post now

Loved Donegal (Murvagh), thought it was a real good course and very good value when I played it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Seems like a lot of us are trying to do the same thing and play all the links in Ireland.

When I started I flew thru the first 30 but then I started going back to the knees I love rather than trying to organise the new ones.

Portsalon is the only one I have added last year.

Nearly done with donegal, think old Tom Morris the new course at Ballyliffin and Northwest are the 3 I have left.

mike12 wrote: »
    Seems like a lot of us are trying to do the same thing and play all the links in Ireland.

When I started I flew thru the first 30 but then I started going back to the knees I love rather than trying to organise the new ones.

Portsalon is the only one I have added last year.

Nearly done with donegal, think old Tom Morris the new course at Ballyliffin and Northwest are the 3 I have left.

And there'll be another at Rosapenna I think its next year, the St Patrick's course. Designed by lad who's done some great looking course worldwide

• Advertisement

etxp wrote: »
    Loved Donegal (Murvagh), thought it was a real good course and very good value when I played it.

Yeah looks very difficult, my brother had a lot of praise for it though. Open comp too so at €35, happy with that

Advertisement