Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin ransomware attack

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

No Kudos today :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭crisco10

I feel naked. That run I did this morning hasn’t happened yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,413 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

crisco10 wrote: »
    I feel naked. That run I did this morning hasn’t happened yet.

Manual Strava upload is your friend. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,413 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

robinph wrote: »
    All Garmin services, and even their production lines, are currently shut down due to what is believed to be a ransomware attack:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.runnersworld.com/uk/news/amp33402834/garmin-connect-is-down/

Nothing in link about ransomware (although I wouldn’t be surprised).

Murph_D wrote: »

I may just yet be resorting to that... lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,961 ✭✭✭opus

Here you go - Garmin services and production go down after ransomware attack

I recently started a marathon training plan just to get some structure back in my running & did the week's longish run today, does this mean I get zero benefit from it now ;)

20200723-202002.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭lulublue22

MY BAD wrote: »
    20200723-202002.jpg

Did one of my first ever speed sessions yesterday - I’m getting fierce antsy that I can’t see it on strava yet. ðŸ˜

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

lulublue22 wrote: »
    Did one of my first ever speed sessions yesterday - I’m getting fierce antsy that I can’t see it on strava yet. ðŸ˜

Here are more detailed details on uploading to Strava than you could possibly need:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2020/07/how-to-upload-your-garmin-workout-during-the-outage.html

Seems to think that Strava does spot duplicate entries as well and delete them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Yes, spotted that after. Was a bunch of other articles I was seeing mentioning it and some technical sites/ blogs/ reddit/ etc... but I then went and picked the link to the RW page for some reason to link to. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭lulublue22

Here are more detailed details on uploading to Strava than you could possibly need:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2020/07/how-to-upload-your-garmin-workout-during-the-outage.html

Seems to think that Strava does spot duplicate entries as well and delete them.

Thanks for that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,876 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Glad I didn't go for a run yesterday now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

No Kudos today :(

Great time to be injured, no races and f**k all to go on Garmin or Strava !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 FarmerBob

People who post their runs to social media are going mad :)

Could really do with it being back up for Sunday as I'm off doing a solo point to point run along some trails I don't know and always prefer to have the tracking on when doing that.

Also means that people know when to order my food for me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Not going to be back until Monday/Tuesday - at best. The fear is the online backups were targeted as well as the live system. Evil Corp seem to be a very nasty outfit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

tunney wrote: »
    Not going to be back until Monday/Tuesday - at best. The fear is the online backups were targeted as well as the live system. Evil Corp seem to be a very nasty outfit.

As long as you have a sub with another service like Strava you are grand. May have to restore all files to garmin connect but Strava etc. will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,378 ✭✭✭Trampas

Think of the people worrying about not able to see how well they slept. Probably up all night due to it

Maybe dcm behind it so people will be forced to use their app for the virtual race ;)

Imagine if there’d been a boards TT tomorrow! Chaos ted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

robinph wrote:
    Could really do with it being back up for Sunday as I'm off doing a solo point to point run along some trails I don't know and always prefer to have the tracking on when doing that.

WhatsApp has a handy location option. Doesn't track your route but shows your current position

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Plugged my Forerunner 45 in to upload an entry to Strava...getting USB device not recognised and it's after factory resetting the watch by itself. It's only a replacement one I recieved a month ago after the previous one having a battery issue... feck sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,378 ✭✭✭Trampas

Been reported $10 million is price been asked for

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Give garmin a break. This is massive and very damaging to them. For one I am happy they took servers offline.

Runs will sync up later and we are not running to show everyone, we are or should be running for ourselves.

we are or should be running for ourselves.
    I don't think pilots who use Garmin for downloading flight paths have that option ;)

I don't think pilots who use Garmin for downloading flight paths have that option ;)

I believe all their stuff is back up and running again, or the downloads that they need to keep upto date with were not from Garmin anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Seems to be seriously bad from what I have read. Reports that employees personal PC’s that had VPN set up on them for presumably WFH, have been hit by the ransomware as well.

If their back ups are goosed as well, they might be in serious trouble, as the US Government has sanctioned Evil Corp in the past so they’d have to (possibly) break that sanction to pay the ransom.

I believe all their stuff is back up and running again, or the downloads that they need to keep upto date with were not from Garmin anyway.

Well seems to be a bit up and down over the last couple of days, but nothing that will cause planes to fall out of the sky.

https://status.flygarmin.com/

No idea what any of the different services are on that page.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Yup they won't be allowed pay the ransom, so if no air gapped back ups......

https://techcrunch.com/2020/07/25/garmin-outage-ransomware-sources/?guccounter=1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

They have released an ‘update’ that doesn’t really give an update on anything.

Pouring one out for the Sysadmin’s and security staff in Garmin, I’d say its absolute carnage internally.....

• Advertisement

This does suggest that they probably haven't lost any data. Hopefully just a case of having to wait until the backups are restored:

https://www.garmin.com/en-GB/outage/

Advertisement