Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Minor schemes & realignments

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

Looks like a continuation of the road improvements up to that point, heading west... but I cannot find any info on it.

CORRECTION:

It appears to be the N16 Drummahan scheme; Marno mentioned it on here last year.

TBH, i'd completely forgotten about that particular scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

eVGMxW4.jpg
    Galway city menlo roundabout is been removed it going to be a 4 way signalled juction

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

L1011 wrote: »
    The one under planning, as their post makes fairly clear - just as the Ardee Bypass is also at that stage. The N33 is not a bypass!

I thought he meant on existing bypasses - Slane doesn't have an existing bypass!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭serfboard

m17 wrote: »
    Galway city menlo roundabout is been removed it going to be a 4 way signalled juction
    Though removal of the roundabout is to be welcomed, it will result in four traffic lights in the space of 500 metres.

This might not be a problem if the traffic lights were co-ordinated so that you could "ride the Green Wave", but they are not currently and I'm not aware of any plans to change the situation.

m17 wrote: »
    eVGMxW4.jpg

DES8KPC.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

That is a godawful dog's dinner of a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Its actually a very poor drawing of it too. But I agree, massive mess and I dread to see cyclists navigating it. Still, its the final roundabout so hopefully will help with traffic.

Some photos of the Ballinaheglish junction on the new alignment of the N60 at Oran. Just as with the old road, one sign says Ballynaheglish and the other Ballinaheglish...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

A couple of small schemes in Letterkenny..

First one involves adding lights to the Polestar roundabout, removing two other roundabouts and adding loads more lovely traffic lights
    The proposal at the Polestar Roundabout introduces a fully signalised roundabout (including the gyratory section). Localised widening on the eastern and southern arms along with pedestrian crossings added to the southern and western approaches. The western exit is also widened to provide 2 lanes.

Ballyraine Roundabout consists of converting the existing junction to a signalised crossroads. The existing pedestrian crossing on the southern arm would be subsumed within the signalised crossroads.

The N56/ R245 mini roundabout consists of converting the existing junction to a signalised three arm junction with, localised widening and pedestrian crossings on all arms.

The R250 Neil T Blaney/Joe Bonner T junction consists of signalising the existing three arm T junction with pedestrian crossings on all arms. Localised widening on the R250 junction, creating a right turn lane, and forming a new bus bay on the southern approach.

https://www.donegalcoco.ie/media/donegalcountyc/roads/pdfs/publicconsultation/Letterkenny%20Traffic%20Management%20Project%20Part%208-%20Consultation%20Report.pdf

Second is an upgrade of the Polestar - Dry Arch section of the N56. They seemed to start work on this (all the trees were cut down) but I see main works are now delayed until Q4

https://www.donegaldaily.com/2020/06/09/four-lane-road-scheme-pushed-back-to-late-2020/

Second is an upgrade of the Polestar - Dry Arch section of the N56. They seemed to start work on this (all the trees were cut down) but I see main works are now delayed until Q4

https://www.donegaldaily.com/2020/06/09/four-lane-road-scheme-pushed-back-to-late-2020/
    Dry Arch to Polestar looks like it covers a section of N14, not N56.

• Advertisement

spacetweek wrote: »
    Dry Arch to Polestar looks like it covers a section of N14, not N56.

That used to be N14; it's still signed as such in at least one spot.
    It's technically N56, now, although, it will cease to be the N56 when the N56 eastern bypass of Letterkenny is built.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

First one involves adding lights to the Polestar roundabout, removing two other roundabouts and adding loads more lovely traffic lights

https://www.donegalcoco.ie/media/donegalcountyc/roads/pdfs/publicconsultation/Letterkenny%20Traffic%20Management%20Project%20Part%208-%20Consultation%20Report.pdf

Roundabouts work fine 90% of the time. Why not make them signal controlled during rush hour only?

With lights, there will be a traffic lane stopped 100% of the time.

Stupid decision and all because people are too afraid to take small openings in traffic to get on the roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

salonfire wrote: »
    Roundabouts work fine 90% of the time. Why not make them signal controlled during rush hour only?

With lights, there will be a traffic lane stopped 100% of the time.

Stupid decision and all because people are too afraid to take small openings in traffic to get on the roundabout.

Yeah sounds like sacrificing safety for throughput

Hard to know what the best solution is along there, the Polestar is a mess at rush hour (I've seen two crashes on the roundabout in the past year so I don't think people taking more chances to speed up traffic flow is any sort of solution!) but as mentioned it flows fine for most of the day. The two in Ballyraine, particularly the mini roundabout could definitely use improvement though again lights seem like they'd be more of a burden for most of the day.

Smart lights would probably be the best solution whereby they'd only activate when necessary and let traffic flow in quieter times but I'm not sure how they work, if they need to be linked up to some central control system or if they're standalone?

I'm unclear what work they will do on Pole Star-Dry Arch exactly. It appears to already be 4 lanes wide?

I'm unclear what work they will do on Pole Star-Dry Arch exactly. It appears to already be 4 lanes wide?

Heading out of Letterkenny, it's 2 lanes, down to 1 lane, back to 2 lanes.
    Also lots of right turns.

Main work I believe is adding a centre median to block off all the dodgy right turns into the industrial estates.

Also much improved pedestrian and cycle provisioning and generally bringing the road up to standard, its a poor quality haphazard road at the moment considering how busy it is

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭steeler j

Thurles to Nenagh road works starting soon at latteragh,the county council have also got the go ahead for a realignment at latteragh bends but the road works starting on Monday are for emergency repairs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭sweet_trip

steeler j wrote: »
    Thurles to Nenagh road works starting soon at latteragh,the county council have also got the go ahead for a realignment at latteragh bends but the road works starting on Monday are for emergency repairs

Horrendous road. Badly needed.

sweet_trip wrote: »
    Horrendous road. Badly needed.

Was this road previously downgraded from N75 status?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Clearance tender out for the N16 Lugatober (Drumkilsallagh to Lugnagall) realignment

https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/rwlentrance_s.asp?PID=172127&PP=ctm/Supplier/PublicTenders&B=ETENDERS_SIMPLE&PS=1

The r347 between tuam and athenry at nenagh cross gets a new surface
    C4jF68K.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭steeler j

CPO out for N74 ballyhusty realignment ,it's 1010m

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

All works now complete. Some issues with the realignment of the old road, now a local road to Donamon partitioned into two separate local roads. Wills could have been more generous with the hard shoulder acting as a filter lane at junctions.

Undoubtedly a massive improvement though. All that's left is for the rebuilding of stone walls. One particular property owner's garden remains protruding onto the edge of the newly widened section as said owner refused to agree with the CPO of a small section of front garden. I don't know if this will stand long term but it appears to be the case for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭serfboard

Undoubtedly a massive improvement though.
    Here's the standout quote for me:
    This existing section of the N60 had been identified as being among the worst 50 bends on the entire national road network from a road safety perspective.
    There's a good image on the road on Google satellite. OpenStreetMaps hasn't been updated yet with the fact that it's open.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Wouldn’t it be fantastic if our whole National secondary road network was to that nice safe standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭medoc

road_high wrote: »
    Wouldn’t it be fantastic if our whole National secondary road network was to that nice safe standard.

Lots to do but in fairness they’re plugging away at it. Some great schemes done this past few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

road_high wrote: »
    Would be nice to see a couple of national secondary routes added, especially to link the border counties to each other (that arguably shouldn't cross the border)

Advertisement