Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Aris's Walrus: The Reveal

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

I have to say I was never that mad cracked on eighties music, having been born a couple of months shy of the decade... but there were solid tunes throughout that reveal. Very disappointed that The Police didn't get more love but that was my only qualm.

It was a very fair list.

Franz-Liszt-oil-canvas-Henri-Lehmann-Carnavalet-1840.jpg

Not to be confused with this extremely fair Liszt.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Well done Necro, great choice.

I remember watching a trailer for Independence Day when I was small and the backing track was this song, and my first real listen to it. Loved it ever since.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

This does not bode well for my other entries since I thought this would be the best of the lot!!
    Still love the song though. Fingers crossed I don't come last in my first walrus...

giphy.gif

I wouldn't worry about it (. . .yet. . .). In an 80s category this song would never hit the higher places, but in any other category against different competition it would have done well. This was a category that I liked all songs, none of them was really eliminated early, they were all in the mix so just tough luck.

Ah well, that was always a gamble but I happened to be listening to it soon after reading the categories and I love it. I also guessed it might be new to you so I went with it, I'll take my medicine (and I'm buzzing from Liverpool’s trophy lift so you could have thrown anything my way :p)

To be honest, I'm more offended that I finished above...

:p

I have made a conscious decision that if I don't know a song and its competing against a song I know, I will give the advantage to the newcomer. That's why The Wedding Present ended up above Joy Division on the day.

On the next category I only know 3 of the 21 songs and like all 3 of them but there are at least 2 songs that really impressed me so things will get mixed up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Next category You say? When can we expect that?

• Advertisement

Green&Red wrote: »
    Next category You say? When can we expect that?

Aiming for tomorrow evening :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,721 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Irish Aris wrote: »
    Aiming for tomorrow evening :)
    Brilliant :)
    I aimed to address this point...
    ...you don't know what real noise is :D
    :pac:

Brilliant :)
    I aimed to address this point...

:pac:

You, Sir, really made a great job on that aspect!! :D:pac:

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 10,721 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

You, Sir, really made a great job on that aspect!! :D:pac:
    Ha ha, I've no idea if that bodes well for my score :p

Ha ha, I've no idea if that bodes well for my score :p

giphy.gif

• Advertisement

OK folks, I finished placing and notes for the second category (The Irish Aris Connection, songs released on or after October 2011) and we can go on with the reveal on Friday 7 pm. I am free all evening and flexible on time if it suits more people to start a bit earlier or a bit later.

Here are 3 songs from that period that I have enjoyed a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Mel C had new music ? Always loved her solo album (loved going down in particular).

We'll start shortly.
    This category was dominated by variations of indie rock. This made the middle section of ranking (between places 6th and 15th) a bit tricky as with every listen I would discover something new to songs and kept changing positions. Top 5 was locked early in the process but songs changed positions within it. And the bottom 3 was decided fairly early as none of the songs initially in it managed to escape it.

While you wait, I'll leave you with a band that I only discovered last year and is fronted by the fellow Greek Yannis Philippakis

• Registered Users Posts: 85,259 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Mel C had new music ? Always loved her solo album (loved going down in particular).

The talented spice girl

beakerjoe wrote: »
    JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    The talented spice girl

I was aware of some of her solo hits but really got into her music after I saw her live at the Olympia Theatre a few years ago (managed to get a free ticket through a competition as it hasn't sold well) and was really impressed by her.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

s1ippy wrote: »
    I have to say I was never that mad cracked on eighties music, having been born a couple of months shy of the decade... but there were solid tunes throughout that reveal. Very disappointed that The Police didn't get more love but that was my only qualm.

Yes the Police were a great outfit. Andy Summers was an excellent rhythm guitarist.
    When people say Ever Step You Take is overplayed they are really talking about that naff puff daddy song that used Summer's guitar riff (for which he didn't get a penny btw despite he came up with it) it was on the radio nonstop for years.
    There was tension between Sting and Copeland I understand, I saw an interview once where Summers was talking and Sting got Copeland in a headlock messing but half serious. Suddenly they were really fighting, wrestling and crashing about the room. Summers didn't bat an eyelid he just looked at the interviewer like 'why me?'. So it must have been a common occurence.

OK, let's go.

In 11th place, submitted by
    ShaneU
    , The Regrettes-I Dare You

I liked the melody and rhythm from the first few seconds and thought that it could be one of the great discoveries of this list, but it didn’t go very far. The funny thing is that despite all the movements of songs around it, it never left from the middle 11th spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

11th again?

giphy.gif

Funny thing about that song I thought it sounded like a female version of The Strokes. Later found out The Strokes singer Julian Casablancas wrote it :D

Yes the Police were a great outfit. Andy Summers was an excellent rhythm guitarist.
    When people say Ever Step You Take is overplayed they are really talking about that naff puff daddy song that used Summer's guitar riff (for which he didn't get a penny btw despite he came up with it) it was on the radio nonstop for years.
    There was tension between Sting and Copeland I understand, I saw an interview once where Summers was talking and Sting got Copeland in a headlock messing but half serious. Suddenly they were really fighting, wrestling and crashing about the room. Summers didn't bat an eyelid he just looked at the interviewer like 'why me?'. So it must have been a common occurence.

You're right that the P Diddy cover (I'll Be Missing You) was also overplayed.
    I guess I'm thinking Greek radio here. Every Breath You Take was a very frequent inclusion in many radio stations. That and Roxanne were the 2 that got the most time. Years later a friend of mine started listening to them more and I got introduced to 2 songs that I like, King of Pain and Spirits in the Material World.

ShaneU wrote: »
    11th again?

giphy.gif

Funny thing about that song I thought it sounded like a female version of The Strokes. Later found out The Strokes singer Julian Casablancas wrote it :D

hahahaha, as soon as I finished the placing and I checked who submitted what and saw that you were 11th again I cringed. I swear, I'm not doing it on purpose!!! :D:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

ShaneU wrote:
    11th again?

It's better than where I'm expecting to place after my table topping first round :pac:

OK, let's go.

In 11th place, submitted by
    ShaneU
    , The Regrettes-I Dare You

I liked the melody and rhythm from the first few seconds and thought that it could be one of the great discoveries of this list, but it didn’t go very far. The funny thing is that despite all the movements of songs around it, it never left from the middle 11th spot.

That’s a class song, never heard it before

In 12th place, submitted by
    Deleted User
    , Villagers-Nothing Arrived

I don’t know any of the Villagers’ songs but I have seen Conor O’Brien perform live in an event on David Lynch (in National Concert Hall) and liked his voice. And this made the difference in this song. Though the tempo of the song is in no mans land, the melody and his voice leave a positive note and I liked the long outro too. This started from the lower ranks and jumped a couple of places after every listen.

If that’s 11th and 12th there is some serious competition here

In 10th place, submitted by
    Necro
    , One Direction-Best Song Ever

This song benefited for being one of the very few pop songs in the list. I wouldn’t be familiar with One Direction, I was 40 when they became famous and way past the pop boyband/girlband scene and the only song I could name is What Makes You Beautiful. This was a fun, summery song with a very catchy chorus and a fun video - and to quote Harry from the videoclip "cute as a button every single one of them"

Necro wrote: »
    It's better than where I'm expecting to place after my table topping first round :pac:

well, well, well. . . :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

In 12th place, submitted by
    Deleted User
    , Villagers-Nothing Arrived

I don’t know any of the Villagers’ songs but I have seen Conor O’Brien perform live in an event on David Lynch (in National Concert Hall) and liked his voice. And this made the difference in this song. Though the tempo of the song is in no mans land, the melody and his voice leave a positive note and I liked the long outro too. This started from the lower ranks and jumped a couple of places after every listen.
    Quite a nice song that, but my what a depressing vid :(

Quite a nice song that, but my what a depressing vid :(

Just watched it and was going to say the same thing!

In 13th place, submitted by
    Zaph
    , Vampire Weekend-Unbelievers

This made a good first impression on me and it looked like it could secure a top-10 spot. Good clean production and great balance between voice and instruments. But it didn’t grow on me as much as the competition around it and lost a few places towards the end.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

In 13th place, submitted by
    Zaph
    , Vampire Weekend-Unbelievers

This made a good first impression on me and it looked like it could secure a top-10 spot. Good clean production and great balance between voice and instruments. But it didn’t grow on me as much as the competition around it and lost a few places towards the end.

As long as I don't feature in the dreaded final six I'm OK with that :)

• Advertisement

Green&Red wrote: »
    If that’s 11th and 12th there is some serious competition here

I hope I won't disappoint you. There are some poppier songs further up but also some rock songs that made a great impression on me. :)

Advertisement