Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

o1s1n wrote: »
    My lasting memory of that night was watching Retr0 playing Gitaroo Man on the PS2 till all hours in the morning and having absolutely no idea wtf was going on :pac:
    Great run of that on lately, amazing music, still can't get past the Bee though

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,051 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think we had two in Sauron's house.

I think the first was in town in one of the regulars house. I beat mega man 2 at it and then got extremely frustrated with Toki and never managed to beat it as my tactic of credit feeding couldn't be applied to the final level.

Also remember walking back from that with Dinorex and I think o1s1n with a x-arcade stick wrapped in a bin bag. Looked like we were carrying a body. And a prostitute still propositioned us. Must have been a very slow night for her.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Atavan... you know, if he ever wants to sell that teal GC, he knows I'm good for it!

You’ll have to pry it from my cold dead hands!

The first beers I remember was in bull & castle? I may or may not have been quite 18 at the time...

Some great memories over the years all the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,667 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I think we had two in Sauron's house.

I think the first was in town in one of the regulars house. I beat mega man 2 at it and then got extremely frustrated with Toki and never managed to beat it as my tactic of credit feeding couldn't be applied to the final level.

Also remember walking back from that with Dinorex and I think o1s1n with a x-arcade stick wrapped in a bin bag. Looked like we were carrying a body. And a prostitute still propositioned us. Must have been a very slow night for her.

That was CCCP^'s house alright, jesus that's a long time ago now! Haven't seen him around these parts in years. I think he changed his name at one point. Probably quit the forum when he heard we were soliciting prostitutes outside his house. :pac:

Were you there for the one before that? I think that was the first, we went to the Bull and Castle and huddled around my Nomad playing multiplayer Micro Machines.

It kind of turned into a Saturday night/Dublin club type of thing half way through and we didn't really notice, had a few chung uns come over wonder wtf we were all staring at. (Coined the phrase 'Bitches love Nomads') :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,051 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yeah I as at the Bull and Castle one as well :)

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    That was CCCP^'s house alright, jesus that's a long time ago now! Haven't seen him around these parts in years. I think he changed his name at one point. Probably quit the forum when he heard we were soliciting prostitutes outside his house. :pac:

(Coined the phrase 'Bitches love Nomads') :D

Was CCCP the one who always fell asleep? He looked like the Good Guy Greg meme.
    If it was him, thought he changed his name or icon to something Transformers. Was living near me, we were meant to have coffee and just fell off the planet, was doing photography in LSAD.
    Jack Burton ever think of a Bitches Love Nomads tee? Jkjk

You’ll have to pry it from my cold dead hands!
    Waiting for you to leave it to the cat in your will

I'll probably change back to private soon

Edited : changed it back

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Jack Burton ever think of a Bitches Love Nomads tee? Jkjk

had 5 mins free waiting for a render so here you go

tklFv5h.jpg

had 5 mins free waiting for a render so here you go

tklFv5h.jpg

Can this be the next thread name?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Looks like EU import Duty rules will be changing 1 January 2021 - import duty will be removed from goods under 150euro...but the 22euro exemption from VAT will be removed so everything will be liable for VAT. Ideally if a shipment comes the much loved/hated stores like Aliexpress they would pre-load this charge so as a EU buyer of cheap/nasty electronics you have no worries of incoming items :)

More info;
    https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/news/new-form-customs-declaration-low-value-consignments_en
    https://www.elektormagazine.com/news/new-eu-customs-regulation-ends-vat-exemption-for-under-22-parcels

• Registered Users Posts: 7,572 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Looks like EU import Duty rules will be changing 1 January 2021 - import duty will be removed from goods under 150euro...but the 22euro exemption from VAT will be removed so everything will be liable for VAT. Ideally if a shipment comes the much loved/hated stores like Aliexpress they would pre-load this charge so as a EU buyer of cheap/nasty electronics you have no worries of incoming items :)

More info;
    https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/news/new-form-customs-declaration-low-value-consignments_en
    https://www.elektormagazine.com/news/new-eu-customs-regulation-ends-vat-exemption-for-under-22-parcels

Shipments with a value of €150 or less don't have duty levied anyway, the only difference is the removal of the low consignment of goods threshold of €22.

This will make zero difference anyway as customs are not allowed to collect less than €6 from a shipment giving you a value including shipping of €26.08 before tax can be applied.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Ah grand so - nothing to see here, carry on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,557 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Not Arcade or Retro...
    But...
    Superhot Mind Control Delete is out, and free for owners of the first one, on PC and PS4...
    Woohoo!

Not, for the copies I own for Stadia and Switch... at least not yet ...

Not Arcade or Retro...
    But...
    Superhot Mind Control Delete is out, and free for owners of the first one, on PC and PS4...
    Woohoo!

I think it is being distributed by redemption code on Switch and Xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,667 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Any of you guys give this a go? came out a few months ago. (Might have been mentioned here already)

It's a 'demo disc' called Haunted modeled after PS1 demo discs. Free to download and looks kind of trippy!

https://hauntedps1.itch.io/demodisc2020

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

If you are thinking of getting the soon to be released darksoft multi for CPS1 you can buy a compatible C board cheap here:
    https://www.daywin.net/products/unmodified-cps1-b-21-c-boards

Apparently it is excess stock from the original manufacturer.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Might be a long shot but would anyone know of any shops around Dublin/Wicklow that would sell a 3.5mm to single rca cable? Like the one in the Amazon link below. Or failing that would anyone here have one they aren't using or could sell? Any of the normal shops like Currys/Argos/Harvey Norman only seem to have the 3.5 to stereo rca.

I've already ordered the below but really wanted to test something out today/tomorrow if possible. Figured you fine folks would be my best bet. :)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005CR1LPY

• Registered Users Posts: 8,870 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Might be a long shot but would anyone know of any shops around Dublin/Wicklow that would sell a 3.5mm to single rca cable? Like the one in the Amazon link below. Or failing that would anyone here have one they aren't using or could sell? Any of the normal shops like Currys/Argos/Harvey Norman only seem to have the 3.5 to stereo rca.

I've already ordered the below but really wanted to test something out today/tomorrow if possible. Figured you fine folks would be my best bet. :)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005CR1LPY

Maybe see if this guy will let you collect it in Dublin today?

https://www.adverts.ie/cables/mono-3-5mm-jack-plug-to-rca-single-phono-plug-yellow-cable-2m/2743104

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Steve X2 wrote: »

Nice one thanks. I'll give that a bash.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Not Arcade or Retro...
    But...
    Woohoo!

Or my VR copy :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,557 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

So, some intrepid coder has remastered SFII Champion Edition for the Megadrive.
    Or rather, they have improved the existing games visuals and gameplay to better twin with the arcade original.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/07/finally_sega_genesis_fans_can_feel_good_about_their_version_of_street_fighter_ii

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Or rather, they have improved the existing games visuals and gameplay to better twin with the arcade original.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/07/finally_sega_genesis_fans_can_feel_good_about_their_version_of_street_fighter_ii

Thats nice and all , but when will someone fix the C64 version!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

Wouldn't be too enamoured with the Alpha fonts and the UI redesign, but the color tweaks and subtle changes to portraits and animations are where this really shines. It's amazing how dark and dull the original is when compared to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Just played this today, it is really well done, It feels much more colourful than the official release.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Dont know why but I just bought a 32x, I dont even like any game on it except for maybe Virtua Fighter, Virtual Racing and Space Harrier. Ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,572 ✭✭✭Inviere

Relikk wrote: »
    Wouldn't be too enamoured with the Alpha fonts and the UI redesign, but the color tweaks and subtle changes to portraits and animations are where this really shines. It's amazing how dark and dull the original is when compared to it.

I'd the same thought. Not overly gone on the transparent energy bars either...but the colour palette changes and animation improvements make this really shine over the official release.

Dr Bob wrote: »
    Thats nice and all , but when will someone fix the C64 version!!

I'm still bitter about buying that.

I mean how could they do that! They knew that all the poor kids like me were still rocking 8-bit home computers like the zx spectrum and C64 (or an amstrad if you were really unlucky). They knew that we would be so envious of our Megadrive and SNES owning mates versions of street fighter 2. And yet they released that game to rub salt in our wounds. Then rubbed salt in our eyes because it was a 12 pound boxed release.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

How did the 6 button arcade game translate to a one button joystick on c64?

• Advertisement

eddhorse wrote: »
    How did the 6 button arcade game translate to a one button joystick on c64?

It actually didn't play terribly, not very good either though. It looks and runs badly, but is more playable than some of the other versions like the awful Amiga port.

Advertisement