Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 tubawaski

Hi guys,

I have this weird problem, if I have anything connected to the ethernet ports of the Gemtek router, the internet is super slow, webpages take forever to load and on a speedtest the ping is super high. The device I plugged in is a Synology NAS but I also tried my other router and the situation was the same, any ideas what's going on?

Hi2Azc0.png

Here is one with every port unplugged:
    9761011897.png

Another thing, I called them up today got the details for the router interface. However the DNS settings are locked, any way of getting around that on a network level so I dont have to set the DNS on each device manually?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,494 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

tubawaski wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I have this weird problem, if I have anything connected to the ethernet ports of the Gemtek router, the internet is super slow, webpages take forever to load and on a speedtest the ping is super high. The device I plugged in is a Synology NAS but I also tried my other router and the situation was the same, any ideas what's going on?

[...]

Take a look here:

https://community.synology.com/enu/forum/17/post/53448
    tubawaski wrote: »
    Another thing, I called them up today got the details for the router interface. However the DNS settings are locked, any way of getting around that on a network level so I dont have to set the DNS on each device manually?
    You're right, they have DNSs locked indeed! :eek:

Didn't even notice that until now, I've cascaded router with DHCP server and DNS for my local network. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭mossie

joujoujou wrote: »
    Take a look here:

https://community.synology.com/enu/forum/17/post/53448

You're right, they have DNSs locked indeed! :eek:

Didn't even notice that until now, I've cascaded router with DHCP server and DNS for my local network. :)

Yeah they locked that fairly recently. I remember being able to edit that before.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭bonzothebuzz

Is anyone using imagine broadband in the Ballivor area, very interested to hear your thoughts if you are as I was going to sign up earlier on the year, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 42 AH2016

Just wondering has anyone else noticed this issue:

When we upload a file it basically makes the internet unusable whilst uploading. If we upload work files or a video it essentially makes the internet unusable during that time so it will kick our son out of his online game or videos will start to lag etc.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

AH2016 wrote: »
    Just wondering has anyone else noticed this issue:

When we upload a file it basically makes the internet unusable whilst uploading. If we upload work files or a video it essentially makes the internet unusable during that time so it will kick our son out of his online game or videos will start to lag etc.

Filling an upload pipe will always make download unusable.

To oversimplify somewhat: when you're downloading, the remote server sends you a chunk of data, waits for you to confirm you've received it ('ACK'), then sends you the next chunk.

If your upload pipe is full, the ACK gets stuck in the queue and is delayed. The server that's sending you stuff notices the delay in receiving the ACK, and politely slows down the rate at which it sends you data.

Worst case, the ACK gets delayed for so long that the sender assumes that it isn't coming and sends the previous chunk of data again. Then it gets an ACK for the original chunk, and confusion reigns.

The short version: don't fill up your upload pipe. Figure out how much upload bandwidth you have available, and throttle your uploads to no more than (say) 80% of that.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Filling an upload pipe will always make download unusable.

To oversimplify somewhat: when you're downloading, the remote server sends you a chunk of data, waits for you to confirm you've received it ('ACK'), then sends you the next chunk.

If your upload pipe is full, the ACK gets stuck in the queue and is delayed. The server that's sending you stuff notices the delay in receiving the ACK, and politely slows down the rate at which it sends you data.

Worst case, the ACK gets delayed for so long that the sender assumes that it isn't coming and sends the previous chunk of data again. Then it gets an ACK for the original chunk, and confusion reigns.

The short version: don't fill up your upload pipe. Figure out how much upload bandwidth you have available, and throttle your uploads to no more than (say) 80% of that.

I cant seem to find anywhere in the router settings where i can limit the upload bandwidth for devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,570 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I cant seem to find anywhere in the router settings where i can limit the upload bandwidth for devices.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHqxBsBD7SI

listermint wrote: »

Thank you. However that will only allow me to scale the upload from the PC. It wont allow me to do it for a mobile or other device on the network. I would need to do it in the router settings but cant see an option.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Thank you. However that will only allow me to scale the upload from the PC. It wont allow me to do it for a mobile or other device on the network. I would need to do it in the router settings but cant see an option.

Depending on how the router works, it might not help to do it there. If the router restricts your upload bandwidth by creating a FIFO queue, then you'll see the same problems: your ACKs will get stuck in the queue.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Talking to Imagine today about enabling Bridge mode (again) and they tell me that my current kit doesn't support it and that I need to upgrade/replace the router and external equipment.

They also claim that the newer kit will help with performance issues I have been having - specifically slow upload speed.

I seem to recall a few comments recently about mixed experiences from people that had kit replaced/upgraded but can't find them now.

Any insight into whether this is a worthwhile step?

I'm on the Maghera Mast.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,570 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Talking to Imagine today about enabling Bridge mode (again) and they tell me that my current kit doesn't support it and that I need to upgrade/replace the router and external equipment.

They also claim that the newer kit will help with performance issues I have been having - specifically slow upload speed.

I seem to recall a few comments recently about mixed experiences from people that had kit replaced/upgraded but can't find them now.

Any insight into whether this is a worthwhile step?

I'm on the Maghera Mast.

Mine was replaced yesterday, Speeds improved from my tests. went from 22mb to circa 80mb post install thats within 30 mins of each other.

Hard to tell if equipment or different mast.

I was having no real problems before the upgrade, never contacted them. They just called me to send out a team. Have not spoken to them in about 3 years since original gear went in.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommy Lagahan

Does anyone know what the DHCP range on the Imagine modems is by default? Wouldnt mind setting up some static IPs on the LAN but dont want it getting claimed by the phone or something when it connects to the wifi.

From what I see it's from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.254, the router by default is 192.168.15.1 (I changed it to 192.168.1.1). Have my NAS setup as 192.168.1.254 and my extra router that I use as an extender is 192.168.1.3. The imagine router has sth setup for 192.168.1.2 but I'm not sure what it is.

About the stationary phone, I have not connected mine yet so not sure.

Unregistered Users

Does anyone know what the DHCP range on the Imagine modems is by default?
    Gemtek stuff they're installing now have 192.168.15.2 up to 192.168.15.254 range.
    Wouldnt mind setting up some static IPs on the LAN but dont want it getting claimed by the phone or something when it connects to the wifi.
    Reduce the range and assign static IP which is outside of (reduced) range or alternatively use lease reservation feature. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

You can assign static IPs to specific MAC addresses also

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommy Lagahan

Cheers lads I'll have to get on to Imagine to get the login credentials for the modem then so

Also was Imagine down for anyone else this morning? Bit of a scramble to get online for a meeting there at 10, it came back up after rebooting the modem though.

Unregistered Users

Was fine here all day. Probably some local problem I guess. :)

Quick update, it's quite surprising what it's capable of during off-peak times (1am-7am), and it looks like Imagine doesn't have a strict 150mbit speed limit?
    a0e24812-26e4-4d1e-a7ef-f76b9b29a720.png\

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

So, having an issue, not sure how long it's been going on, but I've definitely been noticing it a lot more since I've been home.

As soon as I turn on my PS4 Pro, my network gets crippled and everything else that's connected to the net slows down.

My PS4 is connected directly to the router via ethernet and not through powerline. I have changed the channel that the wifi broadcasts on from 6 to 11 and I've changed some internet settings on my PS4: DNS, MTU and the likes.

This happens even when I'm not downloading anything on the PS4, the second I power on my PS4 the network slows.

Anybody know what might cause this? Not sure if this is an Imagine issue or a PS4 issue, but just want to get a perspective from somebody else on the same ISP.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Wing126 wrote: »
    So, having an issue, not sure how long it's been going on, but I've definitely been noticing it a lot more since I've been home.

As soon as I turn on my PS4 Pro, my network gets crippled and everything else that's connected to the net slows down.

My PS4 is connected directly to the router via ethernet and not through powerline. I have changed the channel that the wifi broadcasts on from 6 to 11 and I've changed some internet settings on my PS4: DNS, MTU and the likes.

This happens even when I'm not downloading anything on the PS4, the second I power on my PS4 the network slows.

Anybody know what might cause this? Not sure if this is an Imagine issue or a PS4 issue, but just want to get a perspective from somebody else on the same ISP.

Just the Wifi connected devices?

Is the hard-wired PS4 ok? or do you have anything else that you can connect via cable?

Just thinking maybe interference from the PSU on the Playstation if it's close to the router?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Just the Wifi connected devices?

Is the hard-wired PS4 ok? or do you have anything else that you can connect via cable?

Just thinking maybe interference from the PSU on the Playstation if it's close to the router?

Just the wifi devices, PS4 reports download speeds well above 20mb.

The PS4 is in my room and the router isn't nearby so I don't think it would be direct interference like that.

Good shout about the other ethernet devices, I'll see if I can find another cable and try another device.

Edit: Okay actually think something has changed. I noticed my router was only using 802.11/g/n so I changed it to 802.11/b/g/n and it seems to be working? Will test a little bit now and see.

Edit 2: Got about 30 minutes before it slowed back down to a crawl again.

Edit 3: Wondering if I can get a replacement router from Imagine? From what I can find by Googling, it's possibly caused by interference from the consoles Bluetooth signal and that an older router can lead to that issue.

I'm out of contract, so likely I'd need to go back in to contract before they'd replace it right?

Wing126 wrote: »

Edit 3: Wondering if I can get a replacement router from Imagine? From what I can find by Googling, it's possibly caused by interference from the consoles Bluetooth signal and that an older router can lead to that issue.

I'm out of contract, so likely I'd need to go back in to contract before they'd replace it right?

Call them up and ask, doesn't hurt.
    I dont know about Imagine, but once we had a router issue when we had Vodafone and they sent out a new one with the post. However, I cant remember if I was still on contract or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭medoc

It’s funny hearing the latest Imagine adverts on the radio. They’ve gone back to mentioning Fibre again now that 5G is a bad word. Very clever marketing, starting off with Fibre powered and Fibre speeds then switching to 5G ready etc when the controversy started with the NBP costs. Now that 5G is been blamed for everything from Corona to Chinese spying it’s dropped in favour of the Fibre again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Posters up on poles under fibre Distribution Points in my area advertising “Fast Broadband”

About 8 Imagine vans and 1 Land Rover Defender parked up and installers having a meeting in Lidl carpark Thurles yesterday. Targeting areas like Borrisoleigh which not only has FTTH, but FTTC as well. Every person there who will Stupidly sign up, will just lead to more contention and more unhappy customers in non FTTH/C areas nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,480 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Polls went up in my area three weeks ago but I was delighted to hear it's for fibre optic. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭morgana

Does downloading off-peak (1 - 7 am, right?) still not count towards your allowance? I could not find any mention of that anymore, but they do differentiate on their usage tracker between peak/off peak downloads without defining the time periods.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

morgana wrote: »
    Does downloading off-peak (1 - 7 am, right?) still not count towards your allowance? I could not find any mention of that anymore, but they do differentiate on their usage tracker between peak/off peak downloads without defining the time periods.

Got our first warning last week and they mentioned the above times as zero rated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭morgana

Ok, thanks. You would think that they mention this on the usage tracking page, would be logical. Xd

• Advertisement

morgana wrote: »

I emailed them about this some time ago, the guy said this:

"In relation to our Fair Usage Policy, only data used within Peak times is counted towards the monthly allowance of 1TB.

Data used within our Off Peak time will not count towards your Fair Usage Policy.

Off-peak is from 1AM to 7AM."

Advertisement