Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2021 - Cancelled :( **No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭rubick

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Was at both but missed Bowie in 2000, setlist excellent but on re-watching it didn't seem as good as I'd remembered. Never got to see Bowie after that and a big error not to go to Glasto in 2000. Missing the Beastie Boys at EP another big mistake.

What about you guys and acts you've regretted missing?

Watched a few of the Glastonbury sets across the week that wasn't - have to say my greatest (multiple) missed act is definitely REM. I never got to see them anywhere, one of those that you always assume that there will be other chances to see.

Proper filled up watching the LCD Soundsystem set from 2016. Was terrible conditions underfoot at the time, Sunday evening, not much left in the tank after 5 days slog but man did they lift us! 'All My Friends' surely up there with one of my greatest festival experiences ever.

Getting close to #NoPicnic Time, will be getting it tight that weekend, first time in a decade we haven't made the trip down to Stradbally. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

rubick wrote: »
    Watched a few of the Glastonbury sets across the week that wasn't - have to say my greatest (multiple) missed act is definitely REM. I never got to see them anywhere, one of those that you always assume that there will be other chances to see.

Proper filled up watching the LCD Soundsystem set from 2016. Was terrible conditions underfoot at the time, Sunday evening, not much left in the tank after 5 days slog but man did they lift us! 'All My Friends' surely up there with one of my greatest festival experiences ever.

Getting close to #NoPicnic Time, will be getting it tight that weekend, first time in a decade we haven't made the trip down to Stradbally. :(

Not gloating but I caught the two REM sets at Glasto in 1999 & 2003. The first magnificent, the second a little in the shadow of Radiohead the next night (who dedicated 'Lucky' to REM standing sidestage). A band who never gave a bad show but fear not Rubick, they're all barely sixty and I expect boredom to get the better of them in the next 3/4 years. Hard to see them never playing again.

LCD as good as it gets right now. Overdue a Stradbally return. And yes, that weekend is going to be hard. This will be my first time not going since 2004 and it's not like we've got a shining alternative social weekend to take its place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,400 ✭✭✭Stillill42

I just got an Aldi firepit. I'm out the back with a beer in my paw and last year's EP playlist on. I'm going for that Body and Soul vibe. We'll just have to be creative, lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Rfrip

We’ve booked an air bnb in Galway for that weekend. I’d give anything to be in a field for the entire wkend lost in music and I think we all need it more than ever this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭endainoz

We're not doing too bad for gigs in my part of the world. Have SON this weekend, who I have a bit of an unhealthy obsession with. (It's ok, the missus is a fan too ;) )

Lisa hannigan doing a gig, as is Sharon Shannon, Luka Bloom, and Colm Mac Con Iomaire next month also! I reckon it's pretty much the same lineup we would have gotten for Doolin folk festival with Lisa Hannigan as one of this years headliners.

Most of the gigs are sold out due to limited numbers but a few are still for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Not gloating but I caught the two REM sets at Glasto in 1999 & 2003. The first magnificent, the second a little in the shadow of Radiohead the next night (who dedicated 'Lucky' to REM standing sidestage). A band who never gave a bad show but fear not Rubick, they're all barely sixty and I expect boredom to get the better of them in the next 3/4 years. Hard to see them never playing again.

LCD as good as it gets right now. Overdue a Stradbally return. And yes, that weekend is going to be hard. This will be my first time not going since 2004 and it's not like we've got a shining alternative social weekend to take its place.

I admire your optimism but I will merrily lay down a crisp disinfected €20 if they reform (proper reform, not some two bit late night once off tv show appearance). Honestly think they meant it when they called it a day (and disgusted with myself that I only got to see them the once (and of course they were magnificent)).

**** it, I’ll add a bottle of black bush to that €20.

A group of 6 of us have been going for 10 years, and meet up with another group of 6 for the last few years.
    The Saturday of the picnic we'll be having our own mini picnic (ie, Picnic playlist, food, cans..) So come the Monday after, i'll have that familiar feeling, of not knowing if i'm coming or going.

Stillill42 wrote: »
    I just got an Aldi firepit. I'm out the back with a beer in my paw and last year's EP playlist on. I'm going for that Body and Soul vibe. We'll just have to be creative, lads.

I took Glastonbury week off, had every intention of sticking the tent up in a ceremonial role but the lawn was just cut and looking half decent for a change so we didn't bother. Had bought a rake of canisters but after day two it sinks in that you're essentially skulling in the house.

Will likely go at it again over ATN weekend, remaining as chipper as possible. Saving a heap on merch, lads - invested it in a new BBQ and a waffle iron for those key festival foods.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Rfrip

We will rebuild guys

• Advertisement

I admire your optimism but I will merrily lay down a crisp disinfected €20 if they reform (proper reform, not some two bit late night once off tv show appearance). Honestly think they meant it when they called it a day (and disgusted with myself that I only got to see them the once (and of course they were magnificent)).

**** it, I’ll add a bottle of black bush to that €20.

Buck is playing random stuff with loads of different artists, Stipe produces the odd track, Mills potters in the garden and does occasional live stuff. They're aged between 60 & 63 and are probably delighted with their leisure time. However nine years is a long time for relatively youthful men to do very little. The breakup was amiable and they very clearly meant it but they must be missing the buzz of the stage and possibly regretting the chance to say goodbye to their fans.

I'm pretty hopeful it'll happen so I'll accept that bet and match you black bust with a crate of IPA or decent cabernet sauvignon. Spirits wreck my head, though I may make an exception for an REM reunion.

A group of 6 of us have been going for 10 years, and meet up with another group of 6 for the last few years.
    The Saturday of the picnic we'll be having our own mini picnic (ie, Picnic playlist, food, cans..) So come the Monday after, i'll have that familiar feeling, of not knowing if i'm coming or going.

Picture This feature prominently?

Picture This feature prominently?

Ha, heavily.
    Nah we're setting up a collaborative playlist of all our favourite acts from previous years.

Buck is playing random stuff with loads of different artists, Stipe produces the odd track, Mills potters in the garden and does occasional live stuff. They're aged between 60 & 63 and are probably delighted with their leisure time. However nine years is a long time for relatively youthful men to do very little. The breakup was amiable and they very clearly meant it but they must be missing the buzz of the stage and possibly regretting the chance to say goodbye to their fans.

I'm pretty hopeful it'll happen so I'll accept that bet and match you black bust with a crate of IPA or decent cabernet sauvignon. Spirits wreck my head, though I may make an exception for an REM reunion.

Tomorrow marks 25 years since their Slane gig.
    What a day/night that was!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Rfrip wrote: »
    We’ve booked an air bnb in Galway for that weekend. I’d give anything to be in a field for the entire wkend lost in music and I think we all need it more than ever this year.

House party in Galway, link the address on here ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭endainoz

Folks it's REM for EP 2021, update your spreadsheets!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mucker46

Tickets for EOTB next June bought. Hopefully gigs will be back by then.

endainoz wrote: »

Fascinating. And they seem to be covering all options.

Mucker46 wrote: »
    Tickets for EOTB next June bought. Hopefully gigs will be back by then.

May very well see you there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,937 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Bought tickets to Tim Burgess in April.

Gonna get tickets to Teenage Fanclub for April too.

Grant Lee Phillips is on in March.

Gonna gig the sh1t out of 2021*

*hopefully

MERCHANDISING OPPORTUNITIES #23

On the off chance your old Roses t-shirt is looking as tattered as the rest of you, fear not! Recreate the magic of not being at Spike Island by not being anywhere further than your garden, monkey dancing through the hardy perennials with swagger until the neighbours phone the peelers or you collapse in a heap, whichever comes first. Pre-orders for shipping next week. Mani needs a new front hall carpet so dig deep.

https://stonerosesstore.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

MERCHANDISING OPPORTUNITIES #23

On the off chance your old Roses t-shirt is looking as tattered as the rest of you, fear not! Recreate the magic of not being at Spike Island by not being anywhere further than your garden, monkey dancing through the hardy perennials with swagger until the neighbours phone the peelers or you collapse in a heap, whichever comes first. Pre-orders for shipping next week. Mani needs a new front hall carpet so dig deep.

https://stonerosesstore.com/

That Brazil one is a bit of alright.

Right, here's my Influential Albums list in case yizzer still doing that - bodhrandude I only saw your message the other day! This is mostly cut and pasted from that Facebook challenge that was doing the round in the early days of the plague which is have just done on my phone and emailed to myself so forgive any typos!

In no particular order:

Future Sound of London - Accelerator (1991)
    Quite apart from being a defining album of the era, with tracks that demonstrate an experimental range of styles and form the foundations of what FSOL would become; never mind that this LP happens to contain one of the greatest anthems of all time in Papua New Guinea, not to mention a disc of PNG remixes including a cut from Andrew Weatherall - on a personal note this album has become the soundtrack to making our annual trip to Laois for Lyn and I. "Welcome to Central Industrial. We are the future."

The Prodigy - Experience (1992)
    First concert I went to, early 1994 at the Ulster Hall, Belfast. They had just released 'One Love' at this point. There's some cracking moments on 'Music For The Jilted Generation' but this is their best work in my view. Maybe it's because my introduction to dance music was via largely breakbeat driven hardcore which I will forever associate with that time period and this album. Also I sent off for a cracking white long sleeve t-shirt from the inlay card. Wish I still had it today. Stand out tracks 'Jericho', 'Charly (Trip Into Drum and Bass Version)' and 'Out of Space', the latter still has the capacity to make an entire forest of ravers go Buck She Daft at half-three in the morning. My favourite track from The Prodigy is 'Everybody In The Place' but left it out here as the 12" version (Fairground Remix) is better than the album version.

Tru Playaz - Real Vibes (1998)
    Cheating a bit with a compilation but this is a collection of wall-to-wall DnB rollers from the late 90s. Essential soundtrack to the post-club nights/mornings of the era. Some of you have never been touched by breakbeats and it shows so frankly some re-evaluation is needed etc. ;)

New Order - Power, Corruption and Lies (1983)
    Released on 02/05/83, a blueprint for the New Order sound for the coming decades. Famously not on the album but released around the same time, a song called 'Blue Monday' of which some of you may have heard. Standout tracks: all of them. But if I have to pick one, it's 'Ecstacy' or 'Ultraviolence', which sounds like a great night out.

The Orb - Adventures Beyond the Ultraworld (1991)
    a voyage which starts off with Rickie Lee Jones wistfully describing cloud formations she saw in her youth across the skies of Arizona, takes us rocketing through Earth and Lunar orbits, sending probes into the titular Ultraworld dimension before we gain access and meet Minnie Riperton and Grace Jones or maybe that’s how the ultraterrestrials communicate with us, or at least how we perceive it. Encompassing ambient house, dub reggae, early European electronica, BBC Radio Four announcers, NASA radio broadcasts and field recordings of the audio and bioelectric signals of fishes from Soviet-era Russia, it’s a scene, man. Essential kit.

Primal Scream - Screamadelica (1991)
    One of the most important albums of the last three decades, everything about this outing from Primal Scream reeks of dry ice and the imprint of a dodgy strobe light burned into your retinas. This album is at once dancing all night with your mates in a dingy club and also watching the sun come up, it's Bobby Gillespie bedecked in full leathers on TOTP not quite believing the welt off those pills, it's acid house and rock music colliding and nothing would ever be the same again. The album's success is in no small part due to the production skills of one Mr. Andrew Weatherall, with no standout tracks because they're all just that good; but in the year where we've lost Andy Weatherall (and doesn't that seem like years ago) and with hope that one day we'll see our family and friends again, let's go with 'Come Together'.

LCD Soundsystem (2005)
    The eponymous debut from a rake of heads from New York and England has absolutely no right to be this good, the **** did they think they were chatting about tunes, until you listen to it severally and lord, lorda mighty it's spectacular. Blessed to have caught them live three times so far and hopefully given James Murphy's love for Stradbally it's always a possibility in any common or garden non-plague year that they turn up at the Picnic. Essential kit.

Bjork - Debut (1993)
    Encompassing traditional Icelandic folk balladry, acid house, hip-hop, dub reggae and techno, and an indication of the monumental body of work to come, Björk’s first solo album release spawned five singles, six if you count ‘Play Dead’ which was added in a later version of the album. She actually wrote ‘Human Behaviour’ when she was a teenager but it didn’t really fit the Sugarcubes’ aesthetic. I honestly find it difficult to pick a ‘favourite’ Björk album, ‘Post’, ‘Homogenic’ and ‘Biophilia’ are right up there for this punter as some of her greatest work, but if you’re going to embark on a deep dive into the back catalogue of one the greatest artists of our times you may as well start at the beginning.

De la Soul – 3 Feet High and Rising (1989)
    For my money one of the greatest hip-hop albums of all time, the debut LP from Long Island’s finest has aged incredibly well. The incorporation of humorous skits, fusion of jazzy samples and clinical wordplay combined with a positive message of peace and love makes ‘3 Feet High and Rising’ an album for the ages. Plus you can dance like **** to it. With 24 tracks on the discs it has a high running time but it’s not noticeable. The album spawned 4 singles including their best known track ‘The Magic Number’; as a long-term fan I didn’t get to see them perform it live until the early 2010s but I’ve seen them a few times since and they always put on a fantastic show, whether in a club or at a festival. Definitely a record I keep coming back to, especially when the sun’s out.

The Band - Rock of Ages (1972)
    Irish trad and folk songs aside, much of the material on this classic album was pretty much the soundtrack to my youth at family gatherings or wherever a few relatives with guitars were gathered of an evening. My uncle taught himself to play guitar by heading up the Mourne Mountains and yelling into the wind until he got it right, which sounds made up but is 100% true. You can keep your Beatles and Rolling Stones, The Band are the finest act of the 1960s and beyond in my view. See also the recent re-release of the brown album, which features a second disc featuring their set at Woodstock, released for the first time. It's amazing to hear those songs performed not long after they were released.

TL,DR: Tunes

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,343 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Right, here's my Influential Albums list in case yizzer still doing that - bodhrandude I only saw your message the other day! This is mostly cut and pasted from that Facebook challenge that was doing the round in the early days of the plague which is have just done on my phone and emailed to myself so forgive any typos!

In no particular order:

Quite apart from being a defining album of the era, with tracks that demonstrate an experimental range of styles and form the foundations of what FSOL would become; never mind that this LP happens to contain one of the greatest anthems of all time in Papua New Guinea, not to mention a disc of PNG remixes including a cut from Andrew Weatherall - on a personal note this album has become the soundtrack to making our annual trip to Laois for Lyn and I. "Welcome to Central Industrial. We are the future."

First concert I went to, early 1994 at the Ulster Hall, Belfast. They had just released 'One Love' at this point. There's some cracking moments on 'Music For The Jilted Generation' but this is their best work in my view. Maybe it's because my introduction to dance music was via largely breakbeat driven hardcore which I will forever associate with that time period and this album. Also I sent off for a cracking white long sleeve t-shirt from the inlay card. Wish I still had it today. Stand out tracks 'Jericho', 'Charly (Trip Into Drum and Bass Version)' and 'Out of Space', the latter still has the capacity to make an entire forest of ravers go Buck She Daft at half-three in the morning. My favourite track from The Prodigy is 'Everybody In The Place' but left it out here as the 12" version (Fairground Remix) is better than the album version.

Cheating a bit with a compilation but this is a collection of wall-to-wall DnB rollers from the late 90s. Essential soundtrack to the post-club nights/mornings of the era. Some of you have never been touched by breakbeats and it shows so frankly some re-evaluation is needed etc. ;)

Released on 02/05/83, a blueprint for the New Order sound for the coming decades. Famously not on the album but released around the same time, a song called 'Blue Monday' of which some of you may have heard. Standout tracks: all of them. But if I have to pick one, it's 'Ecstacy' or 'Ultraviolence', which sounds like a great night out.

a voyage which starts off with Rickie Lee Jones wistfully describing cloud formations she saw in her youth across the skies of Arizona, takes us rocketing through Earth and Lunar orbits, sending probes into the titular Ultraworld dimension before we gain access and meet Minnie Riperton and Grace Jones or maybe that’s how the ultraterrestrials communicate with us, or at least how we perceive it. Encompassing ambient house, dub reggae, early European electronica, BBC Radio Four announcers, NASA radio broadcasts and field recordings of the audio and bioelectric signals of fishes from Soviet-era Russia, it’s a scene, man. Essential kit.

One of the most important albums of the last three decades, everything about this outing from Primal Scream reeks of dry ice and the imprint of a dodgy strobe light burned into your retinas. This album is at once dancing all night with your mates in a dingy club and also watching the sun come up, it's Bobby Gillespie bedecked in full leathers on TOTP not quite believing the welt off those pills, it's acid house and rock music colliding and nothing would ever be the same again. The album's success is in no small part due to the production skills of one Mr. Andrew Weatherall, with no standout tracks because they're all just that good; but in the year where we've lost Andy Weatherall (and doesn't that seem like years ago) and with hope that one day we'll see our family and friends again, let's go with 'Come Together'.

LCD Soundsystem (2005)
    The eponymous debut from a rake of heads from New York and England has absolutely no right to be this good, the **** did they think they were chatting about tunes, until you listen to it severally and lord, lorda mighty it's spectacular. Blessed to have caught them live three times so far and hopefully given James Murphy's love for Stradbally it's always a possibility in any common or garden non-plague year that they turn up at the Picnic. Essential kit.

Bjork - Debut (1993)
    Encompassing traditional Icelandic folk balladry, acid house, hip-hop, dub reggae and techno, and an indication of the monumental body of work to come, Björk’s first solo album release spawned five singles, six if you count ‘Play Dead’ which was added in a later version of the album. She actually wrote ‘Human Behaviour’ when she was a teenager but it didn’t really fit the Sugarcubes’ aesthetic. I honestly find it difficult to pick a ‘favourite’ Björk album, ‘Post’, ‘Homogenic’ and ‘Biophilia’ are right up there for this punter as some of her greatest work, but if you’re going to embark on a deep dive into the back catalogue of one the greatest artists of our times you may as well start at the beginning.

For my money one of the greatest hip-hop albums of all time, the debut LP from Long Island’s finest has aged incredibly well. The incorporation of humorous skits, fusion of jazzy samples and clinical wordplay combined with a positive message of peace and love makes ‘3 Feet High and Rising’ an album for the ages. Plus you can dance like **** to it. With 24 tracks on the discs it has a high running time but it’s not noticeable. The album spawned 4 singles including their best known track ‘The Magic Number’; as a long-term fan I didn’t get to see them perform it live until the early 2010s but I’ve seen them a few times since and they always put on a fantastic show, whether in a club or at a festival. Definitely a record I keep coming back to, especially when the sun’s out.

Irish trad and folk songs aside, much of the material on this classic album was pretty much the soundtrack to my youth at family gatherings or wherever a few relatives with guitars were gathered of an evening. My uncle taught himself to play guitar by heading up the Mourne Mountains and yelling into the wind until he got it right, which sounds made up but is 100% true. You can keep your Beatles and Rolling Stones, The Band are the finest act of the 1960s and beyond in my view. See also the recent re-release of the brown album, which features a second disc featuring their set at Woodstock, released for the first time. It's amazing to hear those songs performed not long after they were released.

An excellent list I must say, an important fact about the Orb's debut was their love for the group Gong, Steve Hillage was involved with their first few albums and you can hear his guitar playing on Adventures... and in the Blue Room on U.F.Orb you can hear his glissando effect.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mucker46

May very well see you there.

A double celebration

An excellent list I must say, an important fact about the Orb's debut was their love for the group Gong, Steve Hillage was involved with their first few albums and you can hear his guitar playing on Adventures... and in the Blue Room on U.F.Orb you can hear his glissando effect.

Hillage is indeed a key player in the colourful history of Orb collaborators, along with Miquette Giraudy! They toured as part of the 30th Anniversary of 'Adventures...' along with Youth and Gaudi - well worth picking up the Further Adventures Live 2016 album! features a gorgeous rendition of 'Star 6, 7, 8, 9'. I don't know much about their work with Gong, will investigate them, cheers! I know them more from System 7.

The Orb curated The Glade stage at Glastonbury (either 2016 or 2017), featured sets from System 7, Hillage and the mighty Ozric Tentacles, with of course The Orb to finish. A very messy and wonderfully weird Thursday evening!

Had a gleek at your list too mate - excellent call on 'My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts' - absolutely groundbreaking work. Without Byrne/Eno, there'd be no Negativland, without Negativland there'd be no JAMs/KLF, and without the KLF there'd be no The Orb!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,343 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I only managed to see Steve Hillage in 2009 when he toured with Daevid Allen and Gong in Edinburgh, it was some gig, the Steve Hillage band done a short opening gig featuring tracks from Fish Rising and Green and the Gong gig was amazing with Miquette handling the electronics usually reserved for the clickswitch doctor Tim Blake, but nice to hear fleshed out versions of the Pot Head Pixie period of Gong. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

In no particular order:

LCD Soundsystem (2005)

Bjork - Debut (1993)

Thank you Rubick for the inspiration!! I've lost touch with most but must say 1-2 really unknown to me!!

The Orb!! Man my older sis was a real music influencer for me. I remember sneaking in and stealing her albums :) I was so upset when she moved out.

Edit*** I mean how ****ing future were the FSOL!! Like Accelerator was 1991 waaay ahead of it's time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

404 sleeps

Advertisement