Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the craic with Tinder?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Even the average looking girls are bombarded with attention on these apps. And why is a girl going to bother exchanging messages with an average looking guy when she can have the hot guy?

All that matters online is your face.

The average looking women should stick to average looking men because if they date good looking men from Tinder, the good looking men will just use them for the ride then move on, they wouldnt be seen dead with the average looking women but will use them for a ride. where as the average looking men might want to actually be their boyfriend. Then you will hear hear the average looking women moaning about all men just want one thing lol good enough for them.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,182 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

What a freak.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Stick with the personal ads in the farmers journal. Can’t go wrong.

Irelands Own ftw

I even remember pre-internet the Buy & Sell had a relationship section. I might be wrong but I think you rang a voicemail service and got to listen to the persons message

Awww bless :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

Let's talk about the real rubbish site...match dot com. It's Woeful.

I presume you one is going on dates these days with the Coivid thing going on?

• Advertisement

Let's talk about the real rubbish site...match dot com. It's Woeful.

I've never graced that particular dating site with my presence.

Why's it so bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

I'm guessing you are a woman?

Yes, for some people it's grand, for the vast majority it's a waste of time. A person is far better dating in real life IMO.

It depends what you are looking to get out of it.

With Tinder you DO date "in real life".

You just happen to meet/get acquainted first on the platform.

It's just a newer version of personal ads or penpals.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

A big problem I have with dating apps is the awful photos. I was talking to a girl on Bumble yesterday and her photos were either very dark, half her head was cropped off, or she was tucked away somewhere in the corner of the frame. Then you have the group photos where you end up playing a game of Where's Wally. There are some good looking girls with great photos but of course I never match with those ones.

A big problem I have with dating apps is the awful photos. I was talking to a girl on Bumble yesterday and her photos were either very dark, half her head was cropped off, or she was tucked away somewhere in the corner of the frame. Then you have the group photos where you end up playing a game of Where's Wally. There are some good looking girls with great photos but of course I never match with those ones.

I have seen women I know on pof who if you didnt know them would think shes not bad when the reality is they definitely are. they must be hiring some top photographers to have them looking half decent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭unhappys10

pgj2015 wrote: »
    I have seen women I know on pof who if you didnt know them would think shes not bad when the reality is they definitely are. they must be hiring some top photographers to have them looking half decent.

Definitely some undiscovered talent there when it comes to photography and selfies.

Some of them were so different, did they think people wouldn't notice when meeting in person?

• Advertisement

unhappys10 wrote: »
    Definitely some undiscovered talent there when it comes to photography and selfies.

Some of them were so different, did they think people wouldn't notice when meeting in person?

some of them look like a good 8 or 9 out of 10 when they are actually a 3 at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭Homelander

Tinder is decent. Despite what people make out, 90% of people of either sex are there to just meet someone. I've had a few girlfriends through it, and really all you have to be is not Quasimodo and able to engage in decent conversation. Having a good, interesting profile that invites questions, and decent photos, goes a very long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,593 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Ah it's his own fault for taking off the blindfold. He was having a great time before that.:)
    Though I'm am struggling how he confused giving anal sex as vaginal

• Registered Users Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

pgj2015 wrote: »
    Some of them are great at finding flattering angles for selfies. Although the opposite can be true too. I have worked with women that I thought were very attractive but looked dreadful in their facebook photos. I think some sort of live chat roulette style dating app would be better for gauging the attractiveness of someone because photos can be so deceptive.

I remember reading a similar thread a while ago and one poster said she was talking to guy on tinder and they had arranged to go on a date. Then she decided to check him out on facebook and realised he had a couple of teeth missing so she cancelled the date and gave no explanation.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,367 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I'm new to the whole online dating thing since Covid and have a few thoughts:

I didn't try Tinder but did try Bumble and it's basically a picture rating service where women have to send the first message, so Tinder with a gimmick.
    I can't tell you about the Men's profiles but most women don't fill in basic information so all you can go on is the picture. It's basically an app designed for women who want to filter out the quality men without having to be bombarded with messages from ugly men. You're a product and the app is a catalogue. You can write a little about yourself but it's limited to about the length of a Tweet so best of luck if your magnetic personality can't be captured in a paragraph.

The other site I've tried is Plenty of Fish and it's a bit better in so far as you can write a bit more about yourself but women have to deal with piles of messages and men have to send piles of messages so it's a lot more of a time sink for the average person than a swipe left/right type app. .

There are some good points: I skip empty profiles or the narcissistic ones with pictures taken in a studio. Anyone who says they won't reply to a man less than six foot or a salary less than six figures is a bullet dodged as far as I'm concerned and you can pick out personality traits and the likes at a glance that you might not discover until after you've sunk some time into a random person at a bar.

Online dating is a bit like online arguing, you can treat people like **** and get away with it because you're safe from repercussion. The experience has only reinforced my opinion that we're just stupid animals with a layer of civilisation smeared on top. I'm sure there's a whole Pareto distribution thing going on where everyone is selecting for who they determine to be one of the best 20% of the opposite sex, so it's a bit of a marathon for the rest of us to be noticed.

All that said, I look like dog**** and I've still managed to get a date in the middle of a pandemic. Granted I might end up being lured somewhere to be murdered for my phone but the joke's on them, it's a Nokia and I don't carry cash anymore.

I'd be wary of Bumble for anyone who deletes their profile.
    I deleted all dating profiles when I met my wife.
    A couple of years later one of her friends messaged my wife to say they saw me on it.
    I genuinely deleted it and I'm happily married.

I can only assume they were bots or something.
    Luckily my wife believed me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,367 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

unhappys10 wrote: »
    I'd be wary of Bumble for anyone who deletes their profile.
    I deleted all dating profiles when I met my wife.
    A couple of years later one of her friends messaged my wife to say they saw me on it.
    I genuinely deleted it and I'm happily married.

I can only assume they were bots or something.
    Luckily my wife believed me!!

Someone on Boards mentioned that some of these sites reactivate accounts to pad out the numbers, but I'm pretty sure it's illegal to keep deleted data in the EU and I don't think Bumble themselves would do it. I fully expect bots scrape all the profiles and store them away for future scams though. Nothing online isn't copied and stored.

Tinder is rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Tinder is rubbish.

Does Rosie know you’ve been using it??

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

kapisko1PL wrote: »
    I met my wife on tinder LOL

That must have been awkward

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

kowloon wrote: »
    You can write a little about yourself but it's limited to about the length of a Tweet so best of luck if your magnetic personality can't be captured in a paragraph.

Whatever you write doesn't need to encapsulate your entire personality. It just needs to provoke a positive reaction (i.e. a laugh or an 'oh, he seems nice') and give them something to message you about.

Does Rosie know you’ve been using it??

Sssshhhhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

^ I only watched about 4 minutes of the second video but it’s beyond creepy. That guy seems completely unstable and unhinged. The way he harassed that woman, following her around trying to humiliate her was just weird.

I had to look up a few of the slang words he used because I didn’t know them.
    Apparently calling a woman a ‘roastie’ means she’s sexually active.
    I would suggest anyone who is having issues attracting women, who uses disrespectful language like that, should look internally at their own shortcomings rather than blame the evil ‘roasties’ for not being into them. I wouldn’t touch a guy with ideations like that with a barge pole.

Edit: just watched the end of the video, where he catfishes a woman using pics of a male model. When he meets her and she’s shocked and surprised that he isn’t who he said he was, he abuses her and calls her shallow.
    What an absolute cretin of the highest order.

SusieBlue wrote: »
    ^ I only watched about 4 minutes of the second video but it’s beyond creepy. That guy seems completely unstable and unhinged. The way he harassed that woman, following her around trying to humiliate her was just weird.

I would suggest anyone who is having issues attracting women, who uses disrespectful language like that, should look internally at their own shortcomings rather than blame the evil ‘roasties’ for not being into them. I wouldn’t touch a guy with ideations like that with a barge pole.

Edit: just watched the end of the video, where he catfishes a woman using pics of a male model. When he meets her and she’s shocked and surprised that he isn’t who he said he was, he abuses her and calls her shallow.

The likes of that lad could do with a visit from Zed a la Pulp Fiction.

There's always the same theme: women aren't into me, and it's all their fault. It reeks of resentment, bitterness and entitlement and they wonder why no one is interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Yup it's pretty sad stuff.

That's what happens when you're brainwashed by TRP and PUA nonsense; it all comes back to a lack of self esteem which manifests itself into bizarre chip on the shoulder behaviors like this.

What a clown.

Boards has its share of those societal dangers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,262 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Some of that stuff has to be made up by the 'victims'

Sure they didn't know.....

Advertisement