Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assassins Creed Valhalla (Vikings)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Happy enough with more of the same tbh. Odyssey was fantastic. Not sure about the voice of the female pc though...will have to see what the male is like before deciding who to play as. Kassandra was far (faaar) better then Alexios in Odyssey.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

An Xbox ad for the game with the release date leaked via the Assassin's Creed Italy Instagram account: Coming out November 17th, 2 days before Cyberpunk. Hopefully this is false

• Registered Users Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

An Xbox ad for the game with the release date leaked via the Assassin's Creed Italy Instagram account: Coming out November 17th, 2 days before Cyberpunk. Hopefully this is false

Assassins? Italy?? Cryptic messages??? Anyone have Robert Langdon's number?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Hopefully it's wrong cos they usually come out in October!
    But with everything being delayed this year, November is grand!
    Don't really care about Cyberpunk anyway, so bring on Valhalla :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Hopefully it's wrong cos they usually come out in October!
    But with everything being delayed this year, November is grand!
    Don't really care about Cyberpunk anyway, so bring on Valhalla :)

Hopefully the weekend of the long weekend.

• Advertisement

November 17th release date

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Two days before cyberpunk? brave.

You can swap back and forth between the male and female versions of Eivor, seemingly at will. I played most of the demo as the female Eivor. Toward the end of my session I noticed an option to press up on the D-pad while toggling between menus. Doing so let me interface with the Animus and start playing as the male Eivor moments later, complete with new animations and a different voice. The whole thing was seamless, at least in the demo.

https://kotaku.com/everything-we-learned-about-assassin-s-creed-valhalla-a-1844355373

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Ridley

...came away feeling like Valhalla was an open world viking RPG that was an Assassin’s Creed seemingly in name only.

The traditional Assassin's Creed isn't Assassin's Creed take is how you know it's Assassin's Creed.

Not looking forward to schlepping around for health.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Yeah, this one has taken a step too far into RPG territory for my liking.
    I hate the mechanic of non restoring health, looking for items to replenish it!
    Unless you can regen with a power you unlock, I won't last.
    I'll still buy the game, hoping they'll have a "legacy" mode that allows health to regen or something!
    They might add it back in if fans kick up a fuss, they are pretty good at listening to their audience :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,242 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah the whole looting or fishing for items to replenish health seems like an annoyance. The combat doesn't seem to have any weight to it at all except for the last hit of your combo. Grinding for materials to build up settlements sounds like it'll be even worse than upgrading your ship in Odyssey. And the landscape looks pretty dull compared to the sunny tropics of Odyssey which just looked stunning throughout and encouraged exploration.

I'm still interested because of how much I enjoyed Odyssey, but they really haven't sold me at this stage. Might be something I wait to go on sale before picking it up, where I can get the 'Super Ultimate Gold... no wait platinum is worth more than gold, isn't it.... PLATINUM Deluxe Collectors Edition'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

Not super impressed now after that tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Looked exactly how I expected it to, which is 100% fine as I really like the direction change they took with Origins.

I like that. Hard to know which voice actor will be better when selecting at the start and could be too deep into the game before deciding the other is probably better. Being able to switch as you please is a great move.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,105 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

It's a game, I'm not expecting much in the way of historical accuracy but I have to laugh how you seem to be portrayed as the good guys.

"Your goal is to build a thriving Norse settlement in a hostile land."

There's probably a good reason why the land is hostile!

J. Marston wrote: »
    It's a game, I'm not expecting much in the way of historical accuracy but I have to laugh how you seem to be portrayed as the good guys.

"Your goal is to build a thriving Norse settlement in a hostile land."

There's probably a good reason why the land is hostile!

The stream they did was hilarious

'Not all Vikings were bloodthirsty raiders, they just wanted to farm' immediately cut to them raiding a village and murdering everyone in it.

8ubGFLt.gif

Tbf us lot are not exactly the target audience for a game where you play as a viking raider, the only way they could get any worse is if they did made an RPG where you play as Oliver Cromwell or a football game where you could only play as Thierry Henry's left arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭quokula

Penn wrote: »
    I like that. Hard to know which voice actor will be better when selecting at the start and could be too deep into the game before deciding the other is probably better. Being able to switch as you please is a great move.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's a demo-only feature so they can show both versions of the character easily when demoing it to different journalists though.

• Advertisement

quokula wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if that's a demo-only feature so they can show both versions of the character easily when demoing it to different journalists though.

Dunno, the way it sas it interfaces with the Animus seems to imply it's a feature that's been programmed in rather than an option just provided for the demo, but suppose we'll have to wait for confirmation. Can't remember them saying anything about being able to switch within the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

The vikings were not a great bunch of lads

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I just really, really want a proper Assassin game!

Dunno, the way it sas it interfaces with the Animus seems to imply it's a feature that's been programmed in rather than an option just provided for the demo, but suppose we'll have to wait for confirmation. Can't remember them saying anything about being able to switch within the game.

Has been confirmed as a feature

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1282736818031648768?s=19

Also says in the article that the modern day side of the story will actually see Layla entering the Animus to explore and fix things in the Eivor's world herself, so that actually sounds decent enough. Better than checking her emails.

Markitron wrote: »
    Tbf us lot are not exactly the target audience for a game where you play as a viking raider, the only way they could get any worse is if they did made an RPG where you play as Oliver Cromwell or a football game where you could only play as Thierry Henry's left arm.

What the AC developers say in-game has been at odds with how the marketing team sells them before. I assume Darby McDevitt still wants to write an Irish Assassin's Creed.

Although history does allow for Vikings up the Liffey (or Seine) should the DLC want to go there and not Asgard or whatever. Skellig Michael is also crying out for that cairn building mechanic. ;)
    Also says in the article that the modern day side of the story will actually see Layla entering the Animus to explore and fix things in the Eivor's world herself, so that actually sounds decent enough. Better than checking her emails.

Paying off those hints that Layla's Animus can hack reality then. An explanation for
    how Alexios can be outside the Animus
    in Odyssey and why I thought the answer to the "Is male or female Eivor the canon gender?" question would be "yes."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

No wonder Phil Spencer looked half asleep introducing Valhalla cause its just not very exciting to introduce something that looked so similar to the last two games.
    Genuinely feels like Vikings were only chosen because of raids not because of an interesting story or immersing yourself in a nordic setting. Looks like a lot of the game is going to be based in England trying to build a settlement.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,824 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'm far from bothered about historical accuracy. Shur every group of people from them times were barbaric in their own ways. The English had the church and all the atrocities they committed, they're no better than the Vikings in that regard, just that Christianity outlived the Nordic gods and we accepted (past tense) they were the 'better' or 'good' guys. And to be honest, a 'realistic' Viking game would be boring as fcuk, spend most of it on a boat at sea, spend a lot of it in a barren, cold land (reason for travelling and raiding), or spend a small fraction in a foreign land before getting kicked back out again.

I love that AC is exploring the mythology of these times, and linking them to the First Civilisation. Keeping the same format as the first, what, 16 or so games was definitely stale, and the new version is a good step in the right direction imo. Yeah, it's not 'Assassins Creed' anymore, but it's exploring the lore behind it and I like that. The combat looks a lot faster than I thought tbh, I thought it was going to be meatier, but it's a bit early to say that for definite. Seems gory enough too, was worried they'd downplay it but decapitations and amputations galore there.

I'll be getting it either way.

Ridley wrote: »
    Paying off those hints that Layla's Animus can hack reality then. An explanation for
    how Alexios can be outside the Animus
    in Odyssey

If we are thinking about the same part
    They already explained that didn't they? Pythagorus' staff gives whoever holds it eternal life. Kassandra/Alexios just lived on until the modern day when they met Layla for real

Markitron wrote: »
    If we are thinking about the same part
    They already explained that didn't they? Pythagorus' staff gives whoever holds it eternal life. Kassandra/Alexios just lived on until the modern day when they met Layla for real

It is the same part but Kassandra's the canon protagonist in Odyssey for reference material so Alexios shouldn't be able to be there. At least not without (divine?) intervention. ;)

Would be neat if
    one or t'other cameo'd based on your Odyssey save game
    in Valhalla.

• Advertisement
Advertisement