Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord Doesn't Provide References

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

cruizer101 wrote: »
    The reference is for letting a new bigger property, thats what they say in OP.

A bank couldn't care less about getting a reference, they deal in cold hard numbers.
    OMM 0000 wrote: »
    As long as you can provide proof you paid your rent on time every month for the period you were there, that's all a bank will care about.

A possibility which we should consider is the OP and her partner weren't good tenants.

Maybe the landlord isn't being lazy or difficult but rather is being passive aggressive about the whole thing.

A possibility which we should consider is the OP and her partner weren't good tenants.

Maybe the landlord isn't being lazy or difficult but rather is being passive aggressive about the whole thing.

That's some mighty fine dodging right there.

Move on, nothing to see. Definitely do NOT read the op again and then the posts about banks

That's some mighty fine dodging right there.

Move on, nothing to see. Definitely do NOT read the op again and then the posts about banks

What are you talking about?

Having a bad day? Trying to let off some steam?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Just put your landlords name as a reference and put his phone number beside it.
    Anyone who rings him and asks if he rented from you he will just have to say yes.
    Or he could tell the caller "go f**k yourself", and hangup.
    What possible reason could you have for refusing to provide an accurate reference?
    Perhaps the LL refuses to give a reference as the OP caused them issues?

the_syco wrote: »

I would say it's the obvious explanation.

I used to sublet an apartment and I'd say 50% of the tenants were problematic (not paying rent on time, refusing to stop smoking in the apartment, being absolutely filthy, etc.) (I've got some mad stories I could tell you).

And as a manager for a long time it's remarkable how so many people are in denial of their poor performance. When you come in late most days, take really long lunch breaks, surf the web for hours, lie about your work... how is it possible you can't accept your work has a problem?

So my point here is it's quite possible the landlord thinks these people are a headache and rather than give a bad reference he doesn't want to give any reference. That's often why references are refused. People tend to enjoy giving glowing references to people they think are good...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Or he could tell the caller "go f**k yourself", and hangup.

True that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Dav010 wrote: »
    You must have seen the accounts he submitted to Revenue for taxation, did he just hand them to you, or did he leave them on your coffee table?

He was prosecuted for tax evasion, his name was in the paper.

I would say it's the obvious explanation.

I used to sublet an apartment and I'd say 50% of the tenants were problematic (not paying rent on time, refusing to stop smoking in the apartment, being absolutely filthy, etc.) (I've got some mad stories I could tell you).

And as a manager for a long time it's remarkable how so many people are in denial of their poor performance. When you come in late most days, take really long lunch breaks, surf the web for hours, lie about your work... how is it possible you can't accept your work has a problem?

So my point here is it's quite possible the landlord thinks these people are a headache and rather than give a bad reference he doesn't want to give any reference. That's often why references are refused. People tend to enjoy giving glowing references to people they think are good...

Maybe he thinks that, but he has never once said anything about upkeep etc. We have never missed or even been late with our rent and we have replaced almost every stick of furniture in the place which he was happy for us to do. We also replaced the oven for him and replaced the skylight in the bedroom.

I know his head is wrecked by tenants though - its a house split into six flats, we are on the top floor and have always put the bins out. We went on holidays once for two weeks and the other 5 tenants never put the bins and then rang to complain that they were not picked up. They did that two weeks in a row! I also heard one of them complaining about tree branches brushing off their window and waking them up.

Lux23 wrote: »
    He was prosecuted for tax evasion, his name was in the paper.

Is he still doing it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,695 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Ive moved 6 times in 15 years and never got references
    Showed new landlords the rentbooks and always got their house

Have always gotten references but never, ever, had a rentbook in 20 years.

Rent has always been transferred by EFT and I just mark it as rent on the transfers every month.

• Advertisement

Is he still doing it :)

No idea, but this was recent and I believe he is in significant trouble with the bank, revenue so he is probably finding it hard to keep up with his payments.

He can still afford a rental property in France and Thailand though.

No idea, but this was recent and I believe he is in significant trouble with the bank, revenue so he is probably finding it hard to keep up with his payments.

He can still afford a rental property in France and Thailand though.

He is probably not doing it now if he was caught recently tbf

Yes, but if I couldn't pay my taxes I would sell my holidays to pay it.

Yes, but if I couldn't pay my taxes I would sell my holidays to pay it.

Part of being caught is paying up. So he will be paying up.
    But it doesnt sound like the why he is not giving a reference is because he is evading tax.

What are you talking about?

Having a bad day? Trying to let off some steam?

Surely to Jesus you can see the joke? You were adamant that banks were involved but instead of acknowledging your mistake, you moved on line your life depended on it

I made a little joke at your expense, don't get tied up over it

Possible so. I mentioned that already

Surely to Jesus you can see the joke? You were adamant that banks were involved but instead of acknowledging your mistake, you moved on line your life depended on it

I made a little joke at your expense, don't get tied up over it

No idea what you're talking about.

Moving on...

Part of being caught is paying up. So he will be paying up.
    But it doesnt sound like the why he is not giving a reference is because he is evading tax.

I never suggested it was. I think he is just worried about losing the revenue even in the short term, we gave him our notice anyway so he may relent in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Does a landlord have to give a reference?

No.

There is no law which states landlords must provide references.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,051 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Absolutely not.

I told two letting agents that our current landlord won't provide a reference, but that we had some older ones and everything and they weren't too bothered especially when we said we were in the same place five years. So hopefully, it won't make any difference in the end.

I told two letting agents that our current landlord won't provide a reference, but that we had some older ones and everything and they weren't too bothered especially when we said we were in the same place five years. So hopefully, it won't make any difference in the end.

That really depends on whether the LL insists on them. More than ever, it is important to avoid renting to bad tenants.

We aren't bad tenants, please stop insinuating that. We also have older references.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

.. We also have older references.

What use are previous references really? As another poster said, they can easily be forged (not saying yours are).

Is the best reference for a new landlord proof that the right rent was paid on time for several years? Presumably that means the tenants were there without any major issues eg no arrears, no breach of lease agreement, no anti-social behaviour, no notice to quit etc.

It is a pity there's not some official form that both tenant and landlord sign at the end of a tenancy to say the property was returned in good order and the tenant got their deposit back. IMO something like that would be useful for both parties.

We aren't bad tenants, please stop insinuating that. We also have older references.

There was no insinuation that you are.

No idea what you're talking about.

Moving on...

Really? I need to actually quote you back to yourself?
    As long as you can provide proof you paid your rent on time every month for the period you were there, that's all a bank will care about.
    Car99 wrote: »
    Where did pleasing the bank come into it?
    Read the first post. The reference is for a mortgage or temporary place in the meantime.
    cruizer101 wrote: »
    The reference is for letting a new bigger property, thats what they say in OP.

Ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

What use are previous references really? As another poster said, they can easily be forged (not saying yours are).

Is the best reference for a new landlord proof that the right rent was paid on time for several years? Presumably that means the tenants were there without any major issues eg no arrears, no breach of lease agreement, no anti-social behavior, no notice to quit etc.

It is a pity there's not some official form that both tenant and landlord sign at the end of a tenancy to say the property was returned in good order and the tenant got their deposit back. IMO something like that would be useful for both parties.

Wont work
    Have a friend who's landlord and had tenants he wants them to leave so soon as possible
    Almost tenants from hell
    He wrote a reference for them that was great
    Paid on time , were clean nice behavior bla bla
    Only to get rid of them so soon as possible
    For him it worked , they were gone in two months

Dav010 wrote: »
    There was no insinuation that you are.

One example insinuating that I was a bad tenant.

• Advertisement

Is the best reference for a new landlord proof that the right rent was paid on time for several years? Presumably that means the tenants were there without any major issues eg no arrears, no breach of lease agreement, no anti-social behaviour, no notice to quit etc.

Exactly, we are in the same place over five years, surely we would have moved around if we were problem tenants. The whole thing is very unfair.

Advertisement