Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord Doesn't Provide References

Options
  • 07-07-2020 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭

We have been living in the same place five years, and we were planning to buy, but with all the uncertainty we have decided to move to someone bigger until we have a better idea of what the market will do. But our landlord has just told us that he doesn't give out references ever because he got in trouble providing one before.

I have a reference from a property I left in 2014, we have secure jobs and references, although my partner can't get his updated at the moment as HR won't send electronic copies in his place. We also have a big chunk of savings. But I am worried no recent landlord reference will be a big red flag.

What is the best way around this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

Ive moved 6 times in 15 years and never got references
    Showed new landlords the rentbooks and always got their house

• Registered Users Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭listermint

What trouble did he get into? Im not sure what level of trouble one could get into a bad phonecall a snarky text... ??

He can simply say x has rented from x date to x date with no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭LeineGlas

listermint wrote: »
    What trouble did he get into? Im not sure what level of trouble one could get into a bad phonecall a snarky text... ??

He can simply say x has rented from x date to x date with no issues.

He mostly likely isn't declaring rental income so does not want anything on record.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Could you not write a brief letter stating the address of the property, your occupation of it and that you were satisfactory tenants during this period and get him to sign it? That's all that is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

s1ippy wrote: »
    Could you not write a brief letter stating the address of the property, your occupation of it and that you were satisfactory tenants during this period and get him to sign it? That's all that is required.

I suggested that and he said no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,704 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You can ask if he will do a verbal reference?

Again he can say no, there is no requirement to provide references and increasingly people won't.

In this case, you'll simply need to look for a place that will take you anyway.

You could try personal references instead, some may accept them.

It was a verbal reference I asked for as I know he has some literacy issues, so didn't want to stress him out and then I said I would write the letter and he said no way.

I think he is more worried about us leaving to be honest.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

LeineGlas wrote: »
    He mostly likely isn't declaring rental income so does not want anything on record.

That’s a very big conclusion to jump to without any shred of evidence at all.

Childish comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Gumbo wrote: »

Childish comment.

+1 , theres a horrible undercurrent in this forum at times of everyone assuming every landlord is a tax evader.

Gumbo wrote: »

Childish comment.

My landlord is definitely a tax evader, but I don't think the reference would have any impact there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Just write the letter yourself, get a friend to sign it and give the friend's number making sure he/she has the relevant details. Best to use a friend who's not friends with you on social media

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Just put your landlords name as a reference and put his phone number beside it.
    Anyone who rings him and asks if he rented from you he will just have to say yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,051 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Lux23 wrote: »
    My landlord is definitely a tax evader, but I don't think the reference would have any impact there.

You must have seen the accounts he submitted to Revenue for taxation, did he just hand them to you, or did he leave them on your coffee table?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Countryboy2018

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Anyone who rings him and asks if he rented from you he will just have to say yes.

He doesn’t have to say yes nor does he have to answer any question from someone unknown to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Dav010 wrote: »
    You must have seen the accounts he submitted to Revenue for taxation, did he just hand them to you, or did he leave them on your coffee table?

How do you know he submitted any accounts?

How do you know he submitted any accounts?

I don’t, but unless I know otherwise, I won’t accuse someone of wrongdoing.

I’m not the one making the allegation of definite tax evasion without proof to back it up.

I don’t, but unless I know otherwise, I won’t accuse someone of wrongdoing.

I’m not the one making the allegation of definite tax evasion without proof to back it up.

You are assuming tax compliance without any proof to back it up.

You are assuming tax compliance without any proof to back it up.

You might assume people are breaking the law without foundation, most people are the opposite, they take for granted a person is law abiding unless they have good reason to think otherwise. The op says his/her landlord is definitely evading tax, the only way to know that is to be privy to their tax return.

Using your logic, no one is tax compliant unless they can prove to you that they are. Interesting perspective.

+1 , theres a horrible undercurrent in this forum at times of everyone assuming every landlord is a tax evader.

When the landlord is dodging paperwork I would day it's not that big a jump.

What possible reason could you have for refusing to provide an accurate reference?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

You might assume people are breaking the law without foundation, most people are the opposite, they take for granted a person is law abiding unless they have good reason to think otherwise. The op says his/her landlord is definitely evading tax, the only way to know that is to be privy to their tax return.

Using your logic, no one is tax compliant unless they can prove to you that they are. Interesting perspective.

I wish revenue thought like that...

• Advertisement

I wish revenue thought like that...

They do. Most people self declare without issue.

I have been audited twice. Both times they gave me a reasonable excuse for doing so.

When the landlord is dodging paperwork I would day it's not that big a jump.

What possible reason could you have for refusing to provide an accurate reference?

Eh, maybe the last reference he provided was too honest. And it is a galactic jump from not providing a reference to tax evasion. Most employers will not now provide a reference beyond confirming start/end dates because it leaves them open to dispute with the employee.

Eh, maybe the last reference he provided was too honest. And it is a galactic jump from not providing a reference to tax evasion. Most employers will not now provide a reference beyond confirming start/end dates because it leaves them open to dispute with the employee.

But they still provide one.

We're all making assumptions here. None have the facts. We're assuming the op is a good tenant too.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,704 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

JimmyVik wrote: »

How many people answer the phone when they don't recognise the number?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

This thread is bizarre. So much weird advice and comments.

He has said he won't give a reference, either written or verbal, so that's the end of it.

As long as you can provide proof you paid your rent on time every month for the period you were there, that's all a bank will care about.

I make no assumptions either way until I have some evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    This thread is bizarre. So much weird advice and comments.

He has said he won't give a reference, either written or verbal, so that's the end of it.

As long as you can provide proof you paid your rent on time every month for the period you were there, that's all a bank will care about.

Where did pleasing the bank come into it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Car99 wrote: »
    Where did pleasing the bank come into it?

Read the first post. The reference is for a mortgage or temporary place in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭micah537

maybe he thinks that without a reference you won't find a place too easy so you'll have to stay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    Read the first post. The reference is for a mortgage or temporary place in the meantime.

The reference is for letting a new bigger property, thats what they say in OP.

A bank couldn't care less about getting a reference, they deal in cold hard numbers.

Advertisement