Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid and Obesity

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

wadacrack wrote: »
    People relationship with food needs to become a discussion in the mainstream. Denial about the problem not helping people's mental and physical health

Absolutely, there should be support groups in place that aren't gimmicky weight loss groups that only scrape the top of the barrel.

There's a reason why so many lose the weight and gain it all back again; most don't address their relationship with food and what void might be there that they're trying to fill.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Speaking as someone who's lost about 38 kilos in weight during the lock down via mainly exercise:

1) If you think there's no biases in society against overweight people you're living in cloud land. Overweight people feel excluded or laughed at all the time. When is the last time you saw a competent overweight person in a film? They tend to be useless hackers who get eaten by dinosaurs, or comic relief best friends. That's a pattern I've seen replicated my whole life. The only competent overweight people tend to be evil.

If you think these kind of biases come down to whether people laugh directly in someone's face or not, I wish I had that simple a life :D

2) If you think the issue for most overweight people is as simple as getting out and exercising, given the above, do you not think most would do it? Do you think people enjoy feeling ****? If we really wanted to change, there would need to be a proper conversation about the mental and physical reasons people end up overweight in the first place.

I've personally gotten to the point where, physically, I would not be classed as obese any more. But, and this is kind of baring my soul here, I still wouldn't feel comfortable in a gym at all. I lost most of my weight by running (I don't really eat badly any more, and haven't for a few years. I tended to overeat when feeling very stressed). Running I can do on my own, at hours when few people are about, and work on myself by myself.

All these ideas about changing where people can get sugar or fat wouldn't work because until the root causes are looked at people will just find a way or eat whatever they need to continue their own behaviour to get through the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

It is marketing and advertising that has some people conditioned into fcuking sh1t. That's all.

Speaking as someone who's lost about 38 kilos in weight during the lock down via mainly exercise:

1) If you think there's no biases in society against overweight people you're living in cloud land. Overweight people feel excluded or laughed at all the time. When is the last time you saw a competent overweight person in a film? They tend to be useless hackers who get eaten by dinosaurs, or comic relief best friends. That's a pattern I've seen replicated my whole life. The only competent overweight people tend to be evil.

If you think these kind of biases come down to whether people laugh directly in someone's face or not, I wish I had that simple a life :D

2) If you think the issue for most overweight people is as simple as getting out and exercising, given the above, do you not think most would do it? Do you think people enjoy feeling ****? If we really wanted to change, there would need to be a proper conversation about the mental and physical reasons people end up overweight in the first place.

I've personally gotten to the point where, physically, I would not be classed as obese any more. But, and this is kind of baring my soul here, I still wouldn't feel comfortable in a gym at all. I lost most of my weight by running (I don't really eat badly any more, and haven't for a few years. I tended to overeat when feeling very stressed). Running I can do on my own, at hours when few people are about, and work on myself by myself.

All these ideas about changing where people can get sugar or fat wouldn't work because until the root causes are looked at people will just find a way or eat whatever they need to continue their own behaviour to get through the day.

38 kilos weight loss is good.

I'm doing the lockdown weight loss too. I'm down 2 stone and more to do. I enjoy the new way of clean eating and making time for exercise every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Their bias towards people who are more aesthetic and their always will be. That's life and not something that you should focus on. Focus on yourself and making the best of what you have. People need to start taking account for their decisions also

Hatred is a strong word and in general I think most people do not hate obese people.

Fair play on the weightloss. Admirable that you are improving yourself. Should be happy with your progress

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭carq

38 kilos weight loss in 4 months !!?

I dont think society should be fat apologists.
    There is a lot of excuses being peddled as a way not to lose weight.

Losing weight Isnt easy and require people to make hard choices, the majority of which they choose not to make.

Today I'm going to cook the turkey stir fry instead of ordering just eat - 1000 calories difference
    Today I'm going to go for that walk instead of netflix. 300 calories difference
    Today im going to have mi wadi instead of 4 beers - 800 calories difference

Simple but hard choices can make a big difference

I've lost weight during lockdown, when i was more overweight i wasnt giving excuses, i was just lazy and unmotivated.
    Corona should be a wakeup call to every overweight person - you have had a 4 month warning.
    Depending on which report you read your obesity level can have a big impact on your survival if you do get corona.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

People need to start taking account for their decisions also
    No disrespect, but this is a common non-statement people make to try and wave away issues. Drug abuse, alcoholism, poverty, obesity - "People need to take some personal responsibility". It sounds meaningful, but it's actually nothing. It's not a solution. If it was that simple, there would be no problems in the world.

I'm not getting at you, it's just one of those things that's used constantly to deny that society needs to do anything and to justify leaving people in dire straights. People get themselves into these messes through poor decision making. So it's irrational to expect that they can get themselves out of it with some good decision making.

We need to teach eachother (because everyone has their blind spots) how to make good decisions, how to avoid common pitfalls, and to try and help people who have fallen down. Because it could be any of us next year.
    Hatred is a strong word and in general I think most people do not hate obese people.
    No, but it is well established that society in general looks down on fat people. They're rated (by other people) as being less reliable & less intelligent than slim people and there are many proven biases against fat people - e.g. being down the pecking order for getting a job.
    No, we will never extinguish the human bias towards good looking people, but we can make people more aware of their biases. If you interviewed someone for a job who had a severe facial deformity, you would make a conscious effort to suppress your natural bias towards the clean-cut graduate who also interviewed. So too can the same be done for fat people.
    But it needs a wide social buy-in. To stop portraying fat people as incompetent fvck-ups, jokers or angry loners.

As a former fatty, the posts above are bang on the money. We also need to stop dancing around the issue. Stop trying to spare people's feelings. You don't need to be abusive or mocking, but at the same time someone's GP shouldn't be afraid to say, "Your health problems come entirely from the fact that you're obese". Or looking the other way or disagreeing with someone who complains about their weight. If your overweight friend says, "I've really put on a belly over lockdown", you shouldn't say, "Don't be ridiculous" or laugh nervously. If they have put on weight, you should say, "Yeah, you've put on a bit of weight alright. Do you fancy going for a regular run with me?".

In person, we treat someone's weight issues as the elephant in the room. My experience is that this is just fuels the individual's own personal denial about their weight problems and allows the cycle to continue. The fat person ignores the problem, and everyone else lets them, and so they just keep going.

seamus wrote: »
    No disrespect, but this is a common non-statement people make to try and wave away issues. Drug abuse, alcoholism, poverty, obesity - "People need to take some personal responsibility". It sounds meaningful, but it's actually nothing. It's not a solution. If it was that simple, there would be no problems in the world.

I'm not getting at you, it's just one of those things that's used constantly to deny that society needs to do anything and to justify leaving people in dire straights. People get themselves into these messes through poor decision making. So it's irrational to expect that they can get themselves out of it with some good decision making.

We need to teach eachother (because everyone has their blind spots) how to make good decisions, how to avoid common pitfalls, and to try and help people who have fallen down. Because it could be any of us next year.

No, but it is well established that society in general looks down on fat people. They're rated (by other people) as being less reliable & less intelligent than slim people and there are many proven biases against fat people - e.g. being down the pecking order for getting a job.
    No, we will never extinguish the human bias towards good looking people, but we can make people more aware of their biases. If you interviewed someone for a job who had a severe facial deformity, you would make a conscious effort to suppress your natural bias towards the clean-cut graduate who also interviewed. So too can the same be done for fat people.
    But it needs a wide social buy-in. To stop portraying fat people as incompetent fvck-ups, jokers or angry loners.

As a former fatty, the posts above are bang on the money. We also need to stop dancing around the issue. Stop trying to spare people's feelings. You don't need to be abusive or mocking, but at the same time someone's GP shouldn't be afraid to say, "Your health problems come entirely from the fact that you're obese". Or looking the other way or disagreeing with someone who complains about their weight. If your overweight friend says, "I've really put on a belly over lockdown", you shouldn't say, "Don't be ridiculous" or laugh nervously. If they have put on weight, you should say, "Yeah, you've put on a bit of weight alright. Do you fancy going for a regular run with me?".

In person, we treat someone's weight issues as the elephant in the room. My experience is that this is just fuels the individual's own personal denial about their weight problems and allows the cycle to continue. The fat person ignores the problem, and everyone else lets them, and so they just keep going.

More people to educate themselves on such topics. It needs to start with accknowledging where they have made mistake. A person is less likely to change their habits or educate themselves if they don't recognize where they have made mistakes. Taking account for your own decisions is part of the process.

Agree with most of your post. No discussion of obesity and it even being promoted to some extent is bizarre at this stage. It could really help people's mental health also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

38 kilos is incredible, well done. I hope you can take stock of where you've come from and where you are now, process it mentally and continue to move forwards.

Do you think the routine of lockdown was a critical factor in your progress, that took away the trappings of 'normal' day to day life?

No discussion of obesity and it even being promoted to some extent is bizarre at this stage. It could really help people's mental health also.
    There's a bizarre "fatphobia" movement online at the moment. While their heart is somewhat in the right place, my experience of it is that they wish to suppress any and all suggestion that being fat is not good for you.

Official health advice, studies about links between obesity and diseases, even companies not using fat people in their ads are attacked as being "fatphobic". Some of them lost their mind at Adele losing weight as proof that she was "forced" to do it by a fatphobic society. It couldn't possibly be that she just didn't want to be fat anymore...

While there's no excuse for allowing fat people to be the butt of jokes, we should also not be normalising or glamourising it.
    Yes, Lizzo is a great performer, and her confidence is inspiring. But we should still be pointing out that she is morbidly obese and her body image is a poor choice. In the same way that smoking or taking heroin are.

But according to some, making any kind of negative statement about Lizzo's life-shortening health issues is "fatphobia".

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Just blame is on the juice seamus.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Their bias towards people who are more aesthetic and their always will be. That's life and not something that you should focus on. Focus on yourself and making the best of what you have. People need to start taking account for their decisions also

Fair play on the weightloss. Admirable that you are improving yourself. Should be happy with your progress
    carq wrote: »
    38 kilos weight loss in 4 months !!?

I dont think society should be fat apologists.
    There is a lot of excuses being peddled as a way not to lose weight.

Losing weight Isnt easy and require people to make hard choices, the majority of which they choose not to make.

Today I'm going to cook the turkey stir fry instead of ordering just eat - 1000 calories difference
    Today I'm going to go for that walk instead of netflix. 300 calories difference
    Today im going to have mi wadi instead of 4 beers - 800 calories difference

Simple but hard choices can make a big difference

I've lost weight during lockdown, when i was more overweight i wasnt giving excuses, i was just lazy and unmotivated.
    Corona should be a wakeup call to every overweight person - you have had a 4 month warning.
    Depending on which report you read your obesity level can have a big impact on your survival if you do get corona.

I mean you're both literally ignoring the entire point of my post.

You can't just handwave "people need to do better". The problem goes deeper than that for a lot of people. If you genuinely want to see change, that needs to be addressed. Or you can just say people are being lazy or whatever, that's fine. You can feel good about yourself, and nothing will change.
    38 kilos is incredible, well done. I hope you can take stock of where you've come from and where you are now, process it mentally and continue to move forwards.

Do you think the routine of lockdown was a critical factor in your progress, that took away the trappings of 'normal' day to day life?

I can't say it's due to lockdown entirely as I had begun running in January, and at no point have I considered going back in the slightest. But I was able to reorder my day to day life when it happened, which certainly makes it easier. I work from home now, and probably will still be in the new normal, as they say, so it's a change for keeps.

I'm actually in quite a good place mentally, and it's been getting better for the last year or two (frankly, if I wasn't the weight loss wouldn't have started at all). So don't be worrying about me :D I'm just trying to explain to people there are deeper issues than simply "stop eating". No one likes to suffer. It's happening for a reason.

EDIT: It should be noticed I also gave up alcohol at the start of the lockdown. That has been a major contributor to my weight loss (and, I would suspect, a major part of obesity in Ireland, in general. I have no urge to drink again once it's done either, I'll prob have a scoop on special occasions only).

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭carq

I mean you're both literally ignoring the entire point of my post.

You can't just handwave "people need to do better". The problem goes deeper than that for a lot of people. If you genuinely want to see change, that needs to be addressed. Or you can just say people are being lazy or whatever, that's fine. You can feel good about yourself, and nothing will change.

I can't say it's due to lockdown entirely as I had begun running in January, and at no point have I considered going back in the slightest. But I was able to reorder my day to day life when it happened, which certainly makes it easier. I work from home now, and probably will still be in the new normal, as they say, so it's a change for keeps.

I'm actually in quite a good place mentally, and it's been getting better for the last year or two (frankly, if I wasn't the weight loss wouldn't have started at all). So don't be worrying about me :D I'm just trying to explain to people there are deeper issues than simply "stop eating". No one likes to suffer. It's happening for a reason.

EDIT: It should be noticed I also gave up alcohol at the start of the lockdown. That has been a major contributor to my weight loss (and, I would suspect, a major part of obesity in Ireland, in general. I have no urge to drink again once it's done either, I'll prob have a scoop on special occasions only).

I was speaking about my own experience. I was lazy and ate and drank too much and i put on weight. I have not problem saying that - i wasnt eating because of childhood trauma. I liked a drink in the evening and pizza and cakes and didnt say no often enough.
    Not everything needs to be ‘mental health’.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Mad_Dave

70% of the UK population is either overweight or obese, so while some may suffer from deep seated issues that need to be addressed, I believe the majority is simply the result of poor lifestyle choices and the comforts of modern living.
    I think if people were made more widely aware of how much difference a few simple changes in nutrition and exercise can make - you don't to starve yourself or spend hours in the gym every day to lose weight! - it would go a long way to reducing that number.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

owlbethere wrote: »
    38 kilos weight loss is good.

I'm doing the lockdown weight loss too. I'm down 2 stone and more to do. I enjoy the new way of clean eating and making time for exercise every day.

38kg weightloss in 4 months is not good, it's a lie. The only way someone legitimately lost 6 stone in that period of time was through having a significant amount of weight to lose and doing it very unhealthily, or through surgery.

There's a reason why 1-2lbs (i.e. less than 1kg) weightloss per week is considered good - it's sustainable. In the first week, sure, you may lose more. However, rapid weightloss (6 stone in 15 weeks) is extremely bad for you and does not stay off. You have to create a calorific deficit of 3,500 calories to lose one lb. Doing a marathon burns roughly 2,600 calories.

Even if you dropped your daily calorie intake by 1,000 per day over 15 weeks, you'd still have to run 72 marathons (almost 5 a week) to lose that weight.

Then again, I'm fat, so clearly stupid and unable to see through your crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Went from 233 to 196 during lockdown. Pretty happy with the progress. 6'0 male. Another 20 to go is the long term aim but going to maintain for a week or two now before increasing the deficit again to push on.

Wasn't anything to do with a fear of covid, had been working on it since January, but WFH has helped hugely. No commute means extra time and energy for exercise and food prep which is great.

Blush_01 wrote: »
    38kg weightloss in 4 months is not good, it's a lie. The only way someone legitimately lost 6 stone in that period of time was through having a significant amount of weight to lose and doing it very unhealthily, or through surgery.

There's a reason why 1-2lbs (i.e. less than 1kg) weightloss per week is considered good - it's sustainable. In the first week, sure, you may lose more. However, rapid weightloss (6 stone in 15 weeks) is extremely bad for you and does not stay off. You have to create a calorific deficit of 3,500 calories to lose one lb. Doing a marathon burns roughly 2,600 calories.

Even if you dropped your daily calorie intake by 1,000 per day over 15 weeks, you'd still have to run 72 marathons (almost 5 a week) to lose that weight.

My crap?

I'm not the one claiming to lose 38 kilos since the beginning of lockdown. That was another poster and I was replying to him.

I'm still waiting for you to come back and clarify what you mean by 'your crap'.

I took another persons post at face value and you're giving out to me. Are you upset because I have a genuine 2 stone weight loss since lockdown? Maybe you missed that post.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

owlbethere wrote: »
    I'm still waiting for you to come back and clarify what you mean by 'your crap'.

I took another persons post at face value and you're giving out to me. Are you upset because I have a genuine 2 stone weight loss since lockdown? Maybe you missed that post.

I'll make this really simple for you so, since you're a sensitive little flower who assumes people are "giving out" when they state facts.

1) Your is plural.

2) I don't sit on Boards fretting about a stranger's opinion all day. You might enjoy it if you have it a whirl.

3) IDGAF about your body, your weight is yours, not mine, and you know what works for you.

Your (plural) obsession with other people's bodies is impressive. If you have nothing else to do but speculate about the reasons for other people living in the bodies they do, that's a bit sad really, isn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭milli milli

I'm just trying to explain to people there are deeper issues than simply "stop eating". No one likes to suffer. It's happening for a reason.

Yes I agree It’s not simple in some cases. Speaking as a skinny person who had an injury for the last 9 months that prevented any sports, the weight started to creep on, the depression (due to pain & not being able to be as active as I wanted) - I could see it turning into a vicious cycle - Not eating great from being depressed and in pain.
    I didn’t actually put on much weight but I can sympathise with how easy it can happen. And I’d be one of these healthy, active people normally.

Also our bodies have set points. I grew up skinny, one brother was stocky (big boned rather than overweight) and my other brother was chubby. My mother said we were all active and ate the exact same food. As adults this has carried over too. And that’s just anecdotal, there’s loads of data on body weight set point theory.

It could also be very easy for a woman with successive pregnancies to not bounce back to pre-pregnancy size. And a very busy mum may not have the time to worry about getting back in shape - her priorities are elsewhere.

Also let’s not forget that the metabolism slows down as we get older. And with creaky joints and general aches and pains as we get older that might prevent certain exercises.

So for now I’ve downloaded a food tracker app to lose those few pounds. I actually hate calorie counting (I love food). And you know I eat fairly healthily. I don’t think people realise just how much they consume - the food tracker apps are an eye-opener.
    My point is it will take a few weeks of cutting back and I’ll be back to my old self. It’s not a big sacrifice.
    But it must be daunting for anyone to have to do that for an extended period of time, perhaps a long road ahead of tiny steps, maybe fighting their body’s genes, and potentially a fear of being ridiculed in the process. You need nerves of steel. So I applaud anyone who takes the first step and changes their lives. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

There are a lot of cliches about how long it should take to lose weight in a healthy way. Reality is that you can lose a lot of weight in short time by significantly reducing your calorie intake and completely cutting sugar and carbs and it's not at all unhealthy. In fact low calorie diets and fasting are linked to increased longevity

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    There are a lot of cliches about how long it should take to lose weight in a healthy way. Reality is that you can lose a lot of weight in short time by significantly reducing your calorie intake and completely cutting sugar and carbs and it's not at all unhealthy. In fact low calorie diets and fasting are linked to increased longevity
    This is what a crash diet is, and it works. But only short-term for most people.

The problem is that weight is gained habitually. Weight is not gained in a splurge of eating over 6 weeks. It is gained because of years of bad habits and bad choices.

So a six week purge might lose weight, but it doesn't create better habits or better choices. You won't maintain your behaviour during your purge, and you generally won't create new habits. As a result you will revert to old habits, and the weight goes back on.

This is why they talk about healthy weight loss versus unhealthy. Because in the vast majority of cases, a slow gradual weight loss is the result of building new long-term habits. A fast weight loss means the individual will revert to eating poorly again and regain the weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

ek motor wrote: »
    If 'holeistic' isnt a real word it should be :pac:

Ballistic is definitely a word

A vaccine will be here before the weight would be lost anyway.

A vaccine will be here before the weight would be lost anyway.

That will obviously vary for each person. Wouldn't just throw out a general comment like that, especially when their are no signs that a vaccine is becoming available for widespread use any time soon.

That will obviously vary for each person. Wouldn't just throw out a general comment like that, especially when their are no signs that a vaccine is becoming available for widespread use any time soon.

Even if it isn’t any time soon, when you’re talking about over 35’s then weight is basically impossible to lose, it’ll still be sooner. Probably a better chance for younger people who’s metabolism hasn’t gone.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Even if it isn’t any time soon, when you’re talking about over 35’s then weight is basically impossible to lose, it’ll still be sooner. Probably a better chance for younger people who’s metabolism hasn’t gone.
    Not quite. Yes metabolism appears to slow down as people age, but it's not so simple and it's certainly not game over anywhere near the age of 35. When people say they had a faster metabolism when they were younger they don't take into account that they were also moving around more when younger. The college student of 20 taking the bus and walking everywhere and going between lectures and socialising, maybe even enjoying some sport or other and all that is a very different beast to the same person driving to work and sitting in an office from 9 to 5 and then driving home and sitting in front of the goggle box for the evening at 30. Force the 20 year old into that setup and watch their "metabolism" slow.

People also lose muscle mass as the age and muscle mass burns more calories, and that loss is again down to different lifestyles as we age. When tribal types have been looked at their muscle mass is far more stable through the years and the decline much more gradual(only really starts to fall after 60).

Men have even fewer excuses than women on this score. They have more lean muscle mass outa the box, which burns calories at rest, far more testosterone which in simple terms burns fat and builds lean tissue and declines at a far slower rate than hormone profiles in women. Never mind men don't get pregnant, nor have a menopause. It is far simpler for a man to have near enough the same hormone profile and lean mass at 50 that he did at 20 and certainly 30 than it is for a woman to do so. Our bodies are evolved to remain fit for purpose until around our 70's after which the decline is steep.

Now if someone has an actual metabolic disease either through genetics or more likely lifestyle(which can be reversed for the most part) OK, but the notion that it's impossible for a 35 year old to lose weight is a complete and utter self fulfilling and lazy nonsense.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    Not quite. Yes metabolism appears to slow down as people age, but it's not so simple and it's certainly not game over anywhere near the age of 35. When people say they had a faster metabolism when they were younger they don't take into account that they were also moving around more when younger. The college student of 20 taking the bus and walking everywhere and going between lectures and socialising, maybe even enjoying some sport or other and all that is a very different beast to the same person driving to work and sitting in an office from 9 to 5 and then driving home and sitting in front of the goggle box for the evening at 30. Force the 20 year old into that setup and watch their "metabolism" slow.

People also lose muscle mass as the age and muscle mass burns more calories, and that loss is again down to different lifestyles as we age. When tribal types have been looked at their muscle mass is far more stable through the years and the decline much more gradual(only really starts to fall after 60).

Men have even fewer excuses than women on this score. They have more lean muscle mass outa the box, which burns calories at rest, far more testosterone which in simple terms burns fat and builds lean tissue and declines at a far slower rate than hormone profiles in women. Never mind men don't get pregnant, nor have a menopause. It is far simpler for a man to have near enough the same hormone profile and lean mass at 50 that he did at 20 and certainly 30 than it is for a woman to do so. Our bodies are evolved to remain fit for purpose until around our 70's after which the decline is steep.

Now if someone has an actual metabolic disease either through genetics or more likely lifestyle(which can be reversed for the most part) OK, but the notion that it's impossible for a 35 year old to lose weight is a complete and utter self fulfilling and lazy nonsense.

Weight training very important , especially for people over 35. Atm their is too much emphasis on cardio training. Cycling and long walks etc. Its optimal to do both.

Here is a good study on the topic.

https://twitter.com/_sarahweller/status/1280270806103330817

KEY TAKE AWAYS:
    1. Perform BOTH aerobic & strength exercise
    2. Have cancer? Add strength exercise to aerobic exercise (e.g. walking) to reduce all-cause mortality by extra 12% (37 to 49% Downwards arrow). Similar across all chronic conditions!
    4. Only 9% adults 60+ meet BOTH guidelinesCrying face
    3/

Advertisement