Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scrabble to ban the word "culchie" in America.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭gourcuff

if they ban that, then they have to ban 'howiya' for dubs, equally as classist as culchie... scrabble have stirred up a hornets nest here...

MOH wrote: »
    A lot of the reporting on this has been a bit crap, like most reporting these days.

Most of the words in question were removed from the official Scrabble dictionary almost 30 years ago

There was an argument at the time that playing a word in a Scrabble game is divorced from it's meaning, and censoring legitimate words shouldn't be the job of the Scrabble community.

So as a compromise the "offending" words were removed from the official Scrabble dictionary but listed in an addendum still allowed in tournament play. That's the bit that's changing now - they'll no longer be allowed in tournaments.

Theres scrabble tournaments??

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

endacl wrote: »
    Is ‘woolyback’ still ok?

Yeah she's grand, she didn't fall far enough to break her neck. I guess old nick doesn't want to hear her moaning and nagging. Oh sorry I though your were asking after the ex-wife my apologises

• Registered Users Posts: 8,185 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

MOH wrote: »
    A lot of the reporting on this has been a bit crap, like most reporting these days.

So as a compromise the "offending" words were removed from the official Scrabble dictionary but listed in an addendum still allowed in tournament play. That's the bit that's changing now - they'll no longer be allowed in tournaments.

Amounts to the same thing, really

Also, seen down the bottom of the list what I presume is 'pissant', I thought this was a valid term for a species of ant?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Was shocked to see 'gullible' was on the list too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

"I would rather be a culchie than a Dub.."

• Registered Users Posts: 39,443 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

It’s like how the people of Cork seem to think the place is called the Rebel county because they stood up to the British during the war of independence. It isn’t.

It’s for their support of the House of York during the English civil war.

Never let the truth get in the way of a good yarn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

If you're playing devil's advocate you could point out that one is true, the other isn't.

The etymology of a culchie is of people who live in the forest. 'Culchies' have never lived in trees. It's a slight implying they are uncultured or neatherthal. That's the origin.

'Jackeens' are Irish people, in the Dublin region, loyal to the crown. 'Little Jacks'. This term came from the fact that up until 100 years ago, the majority, the vast majority even, of the region was loyal to the crown.

It is not true that people from rural Ireland lived in the trees. It is true that people from the Dublin area were loyal to the crown.

EDIT: Before people crucify me, it's not a partisan view. Born in the Rotunda, typing this in Drumcondra.

Drumcondra? That's da bleedin' country ya fcukin' culchie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

It’s like how the people of Cork seem to think the place is called the Rebel county because they stood up to the British during the war of independence. It isn’t.

It’s for their support of the House of York during the English civil war.

Is that a fact?

So your a culchie, but I can't understand why you didn't say I'm proud to be a culchie. You didn't need to put the dub bit in. Its sounds that you're inferior to the dubs with that statement. I'm a true blue because I was born between the canals and I'm proud of it. And I didn't have to mention anything about culchie. Stand up and be proud to be were you're from.

• Advertisement

What part of the countryside do you hail from?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

A teacher in school years ago told us that "Culchie" came from the word agricultural.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

I'm Triggered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Ultima Thule

Dont trigger the leprechauns

I'm a culchie and it doesn't bother me, I'm just glad I'm not a bogger.

Whats the difference?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 111 ✭✭Deadmou5e

Kylta wrote: »
    Whats the difference?

One foots their own turf, the other buys in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Deadmou5e wrote: »
    One foots their own turf, the other buys in it.

Or another way to put it is that a culchie lives in an urban area outside Dublin, while a bogger lives in a rural one. Bonus bogger points if you're farming stock.

It's not really a serious thing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

I prefer Mullah/Mullagh myself

Or another way to put it is that a culchie lives in an urban area outside Dublin, while a bogger lives in a rural one. Bonus bogger points if you're farming stock.

I was only joking btw! I’m from North Kerry so I’ve been called both most my whole life :D

So what your saying is you lot discriminate against each other. What's worse than a bogger?

• Advertisement

I prefer Mullah/Mullagh myself

Mullah is definitely a Dublin thing, I never here anyone outside the pale say that

• Registered Users Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I was only joking btw! I’m from North Kerry so I’ve been called both most my whole life :D

I'm only joking too! :pac:

Mullah is definitely a Dublin thing, I never here anyone outside the pale say that

Seeing as it's a phrase used by Dublin people about people outside Dublin, you can kind of see how that might be the case alright.

We use that against each other a lot growing up in dublin. I haven't heard it said in donkeys years. I love to know what the origins of the word is?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

I see "mick" is banned too.

We'll have Christy Moore censored soon. (If "Christy" isn't abusive of course). "To where you're a Paddy, you're a Biddy, you're a M***"

This could get very confusing tbh.

I don't play scrabble, so I'll boycott it

We use that against each other a lot growing up in dublin. I haven't heard it said in donkeys years. I love to know what the origins of the word is?

Open to correction but I think it was originally to do with ‘moolah’ as in money, describing big farmers with big houses and big land. Remember reading about it once but was a long time ago.

Only ever heard it used in Dublin to describe country people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

a culchie lives in an urban area outside Dublin

We'd have called that a townie in our youth! The irony of a mile difference being completely lost on us of course!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

That list is gas craic.

I'm going through it just trying to work out dirty anagrams. It's like the best dictionary ever.

Other words banned - ****, cumming, cums, (but not "cum"), baldie, fatso, pissant, cocksucker, bat****. Knacker is still ok though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,185 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Knacker also has a non-offensive meaning, I suppose cum has one too, in Latin at least

Advertisement