Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cadetships 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭mcc_c

RCB1A wrote: »
    The practice was in the second email, here:

http://getstarted.cut-e.com/home/

Hmm ok that's worrying I didn't get that one! Been checking my junk folder too. Think I'll give it tomorrow and if I don't get it might email on Tuesday, judging by the other lads they kind of move fast once the practice link has been sent out! Cheers for that now much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Borderland

Beir bua this week lads. Wishing everyone the best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 RCB1A

Test link for Air Corps is up, hope everyone else got the email. Good luck!

Test link for Air Corps is up, hope everyone else got the email. Good luck!

Got mine as well, goodluck everyone doing it and goodluck to those with the group assessments this week!

Did the familiarisation email outline how many tests there would be (didn't get one)? Also, does anyone know if you can take one test, leave it and complete another the next day or can you take breaks but they have to be completed in the one day (laptop open etc).

Just trying to figure out how to work around work!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 MountainGoat23

Anyone know what happens if you’re injured for the fitness assessment? Is there a later date this can be done? Went over on my ankle last week and can’t run, push ups and sit ups are fine.

For those doing the army assessments how did you get on, what was involved in the group assessment?

mcc_c wrote: »
    Did the familiarisation email outline how many tests there would be (didn't get one)? Also, does anyone know if you can take one test, leave it and complete another the next day or can you take breaks but they have to be completed in the one day (laptop open etc).

Just trying to figure out how to work around work!

Sorry for the late reply, deadline is This Friday 3pm, You can do it section by section (do a section and come back 20 mins later and do another),

Some of the things tested include Multiple task-loading; Mechanical reasoning; Deductive logic; Monitoring/attentional ability; Numeracy [WITHOUT using a calculator]; Spatial orientation; Verbal understanding; Working memory; Spatial memory; Hand-eye coordination.

the whole thing takes about 95 mins in total, during the test "DO NOT click the 'back' button on your browser. DO NOT press the 'F5' key on your keyboard DO NOT refresh your browser page. If you do any of the above during your test, it will be invalidated, you will be unable to finish, and your responses will not be saved.. Those are pretty much all the details mentioned in the email.

Sorry for the late reply, deadline is This Friday 3pm, You can do it section by section (do a section and come back 20 mins later and do another),

Some of the things tested include Multiple task-loading; Mechanical reasoning; Deductive logic; Monitoring/attentional ability; Numeracy [WITHOUT using a calculator]; Spatial orientation; Verbal understanding; Working memory; Spatial memory; Hand-eye coordination.

the whole thing takes about 95 mins in total, during the test "DO NOT click the 'back' button on your browser. DO NOT press the 'F5' key on your keyboard DO NOT refresh your browser page. If you do any of the above during your test, it will be invalidated, you will be unable to finish, and your responses will not be saved.. Those are pretty much all the details mentioned in the email.

You're an absolute legend thank you! Really appreciate the help, not sure why I didn't get that email but got the rest of them. Will just have to go for it after work tomorrow, not ideal but sure look. Goodluck in the test yourself, hopefully we get through to phase 2!

Whoever is doing the Air Corps test tomorrow has their work cut out for them, good luck to anyone left to do it!

I think I did grand. Missed a couple of questions because I spent too long working them out but hoping I'll go through to phase 2 :o

• Registered Users Posts: 31 JohnBoy140

Hi all,
    Does anyone know how many years someone must serve if they are commissioned and go to college to do a degree?
    Also what kind of degree do you do and are there many prospects post-military?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

I think you must spend two years in the military for every one year at university. So, at least 8 years for a 4 year degree course. If you leave before then you’d have to pay some money towards fees and salary, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Kirm2

I've no idea what is expected from the group assessment - can anyone shed some light on what exactly is involved?

Kirm2 wrote: »
    I've no idea what is expected from the group assessment - can anyone shed some light on what exactly is involved?

Did mine recently, we got a table of materials and were given about 4 tasks to construct things with the materials. You're given time to plan and then a time limit to make it. then they test it and then you reorganise the materials on the table and repeat. There's roughly one assessor watching 2 team members.

From what everyone seems to say, it matters less on if the construction is successful and more on how you perform in the team. The advice I was given that I followed was to suggest an idea even if it's bad or you think it's bad. Ironically two times I did that the team ended up adopting the idea so hopefully the same happens to you!
    Don't be afraid to ask the main assessor for the task sheet if a part of the task sounds dodgy, some of them are can be a bit weird and maybe if ye read it better ye understand better.
    One thing that completely flew over our team's heads that I only thought about after I left that day was to appoint someone to keep time and tell us when there's X minutes left, so that could be something you can think about!

Based on what I heard from other groups I think the materials differ depending on the room you're put in so tasks could be different, hence why I'm not mentioning any specific ones.

If you're up on your fitness and think you're ok on the psychometric test you'll have a blast on the day, tis some craic the whole thing. :cool:

Good Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Shields

Hi I'm just wondering I know they said it's not formal clothing this year and all but just wondering is people landing in tracksuits or jeans or what's the dress code? Thanks.

Shields wrote: »
    Hi I'm just wondering I know they said it's not formal clothing this year and all but just wondering is people landing in tracksuits or jeans or what's the dress code? Thanks.

I wore a tracksuit, others wore jeans and a shirt. There’s no real dress code, just don’t wear shorts after the fitness test.

Emails are in for the Air Corps regarding phase 2, keep an eye on the inbox and junk folders!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Just wondering if anyone who didn't get through aptitude tests for army / navy had any luck getting feedback on where they fell down? Not an applicant myself but have been watching this thread as my son has gone through the process. Unfortunately he got the "we regret to inform" message last night. :(

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone who didn't get through aptitude tests for army / navy had any luck getting feedback on where they fell down? Not an applicant myself but have been watching this thread as my son has gone through the process. Unfortunately he got the "we regret to inform" message last night. :(

I’ve spoken to an officer friend of mine who works on the Curragh and he said they just had to cut a lot of people using the psychometrics because of Covid-19 and the necessity to have social distancing. Usually they’d fitness test 100s but that wasn’t possible this year. The only way they could reduce the numbers down was to set a score on the psychometric and go from there.

One of those years I think...

• Registered Users Posts: 7 SierraLima

Emails are in for the Air Corps regarding phase 2, keep an eye on the inbox and junk folders!

Hi mcc_c, around what time yesterday did emails go out? Also have you heard of any rejection emails being sent? I’m still waiting to hear from the air corps myself after online tests.

• Advertisement

Thanks for updating, checked the email and got mine too.

Is anyone else from here going up on Tuesday?

Also for those who applied to the Army I got the Garda vetting email now too so watch out for those!

SierraLima wrote: »
    Hi mcc_c, around what time yesterday did emails go out? Also have you heard of any rejection emails being sent? I’m still waiting to hear from the air corps myself after online tests.

I got mine late enough, close to 12am! I wouldn't worry just yet some more might come out today, @RCB1A seems to have been given a day for the fitness which I haven't got yet so they might be doing it in increments! Just keep an eye on junk and if you don't hear by tomorrow I'd say throw them an email

• Registered Users Posts: 7 SierraLima

I got mine late enough, close to 12am! I wouldn't worry just yet some more might come out today, @RCB1A seems to have been given a day for the fitness which I haven't got yet so they might be doing it in increments! Just keep an eye on junk and if you don't hear by tomorrow I'd say throw them an email

Just got the email there myself, thanks! I think they’ll start allocating days for fitness/group etc once they have contacted most that have passed stage 1.

Sorry if I mislead anyone, I read the Air Corps email wrong and thought we had to choose a day for ourselves between the 13th and 17th and email back which one we would be free for. Oops :o

Anyone except RCB1A get the vetting form? They’re sent by the Garda Vetting Unit which is a separate organisation so just curious! I’ve not heard anything yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 josh1010st

Borderland wrote: »
    Anyone except RCB1A get the vetting form? They’re sent by the Garda Vetting Unit which is a separate organisation so just curious! I’ve not heard anything yet.

I got the Garda vetting form Wednesday too. Also I just got a phone call from Recruitment looking for my Final transcript And I asked about interviews and she said we should know Monday or Tuesday.

• Advertisement

josh1010st wrote: »
    I got the Garda vetting form Wednesday too. Also I just got a phone call from Recruitment looking for my Final transcript And I asked about interviews and she said we should know Monday or Tuesday.

Oh.... What date did you do your group assessment? If I get word an interview I might email about the vetting!

Oh.... What date did you do your group assessment? If I get word an interview I might email about the vetting!

Ah I did the group assessment on July 3rd, I’m sure they would be quick getting back to you re the Garda vetting if you get the interview man ðŸ‘ðŸ»

I just noticed now in the latest Air Corps email (the one that says 13th - 17th) it said to reply to be given a date! Maybe that's why ye haven't gotten one yet?

It said
    Please confirm your ability to attend by email by no later than 1400 on Saturday 11th July and a day will be allocated to you.

For those who did the fitness test already, do you know if you are allowed wear a watch?

For those who did the fitness test already, do you know if you are allowed wear a watch?

Yep, most lads did.

• Advertisement

I just noticed now in the latest Air Corps email (the one that says 13th - 17th) it said to reply to be given a date! Maybe that's why ye haven't gotten one yet?

It said

Sorry only seeing this now, I replied saying I was available 13th-17th and was given a date. Looking forward to this stage now and will hopefully meet a few of yous in there!

Any idea when we find out if we got an interview or not?

JohnBoy140 wrote: »
    Any idea when we find out if we got an interview or not?

Today or (probably) tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 dylant99

Got my interview email today, Mine's next week

dylant99 wrote: »
    Got my interview email today, Mine's next week

Got mine last night too! Best of luck with yours! Anybody got an idea what it will be like?

Anyone else still waiting on an email? Not looking good tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 22 DannyMac23

JohnBoy140 wrote: »
    Anyone else still waiting on an email? Not looking good tbh

Still waiting to hear back myself, got the Garda vetting email last week and submitted it which was weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 gzaq

DannyMac23 wrote: »
    Still waiting to hear back myself, got the Garda vetting email last week and submitted it which was weird.

Same as myself here, submitted vetting last week but haven’t heard yet.

gzaq wrote: »
    Same as myself here, submitted vetting last week but haven’t heard yet.

A girl I work with knows a bloke that got the “ we regret to inform you “ email last week, around Wednesday/Thursday , so maybe no news is good news, the lads that got the email today or yesterday, what dates did ye do the fitness test/group interview ?

A girl I work with knows a bloke that got the “ we regret to inform you “ email last week, around Wednesday/Thursday , so maybe no news is good news, the lads that got the email today or yesterday, what dates did ye do the fitness test/group interview ?

I got the Air Corps rejection last week as well. Made a balls of the test. I’ve got no Garda vetting form though which is worrying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 TrashyTrackman

What roles did you apply for? Maybe the different roles will be selected at different times.

Also for those who applied for multiple roles, do you know if it is the one interview or is it a seperate interview for each role?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 kiloofkarma

Anyone know what happens first at the air corps fitness and group assessments? Should I arrive in running gear or casual clothes?

What roles did you apply for? Maybe the different roles will be selected at different times.

Also for those who applied for multiple roles, do you know if it is the one interview or is it a seperate interview for each role?

Mine was just Army Line Officer.

Anyone know what happens first at the air corps fitness and group assessments? Should I arrive in running gear or casual clothes?

The way they did it with us was fitness in the morning, then psychometrics, then break, then psychometrics again then group assessments. Surprisingly there is a personality test at the end both pyschometric sessions but I think the second one tests for any mental illnesses because the questions are weird.

Anyone who has done the AC stage 2, how do you feel about it? Some weird psychometrics

Anyone know if there is parking down in the Curragh for visitors doing assessments?

Anyone know if there is parking down in the Curragh for visitors doing assessments?

Yes, plenty of parking.

Anyone get any news today?

Anyone get any news today?

Nothing as of yet.

• Advertisement

Nothing as of yet.

I have a feeling we’re probably on the reserve interview panel, and we’ll be called if other people aren’t available or fail the interview.

Advertisement