Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Springboard courses. Free college courses sponsored by the Irish Government

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭GirlatdRockShow

I have applied for two different course and each have requested past exams transcripts, which is fine. But I have spent the past week trying to get onto my past college (dit/tud) to get electronic version of these, I have rang 4 different numbers and emailed 4 different emailed, as well as filling out an online form and no reply, I'm not in the city either so I can't call into them. Has anyone else had trouble getting transcripts from their college?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I have applied for two different course and each have requested past exams transcripts, which is fine. But I have spent the past week trying to get onto my past college (dit/tud) to get electronic version of these, I have rang 4 different numbers and emailed 4 different emailed, as well as filling out an online form and no reply, I'm not in the city either so I can't call into them. Has anyone else had trouble getting transcripts from their college?

I'm just using using screenshots from the DIT Student Records page.

Chance your old login.

https://studentapps.dit.ie/BAN8L1/twbkwbis.P_WWWLogin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭This is it

Would the QQI awards verification do? That's what I used. You can get it for €20 from QQI or €100 for your actual scroll, cert, etc. Took about 3 working days to get after ordering online

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭jaffa20

I got them the next day after online request to NUI

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭py

I don't think many colleges have staff on site and are unlikely to have access to phone numbers from off site. I know when I've tried to contact my own college with questions on their springboard course, I'd to do it through email and that was incredibly slow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭GirlatdRockShow

Thanks all for your replies. I have my scroll alright so I might chance that, its just the request was very specific about past exam transcripts. I will also try the log in, although I may have trouble remembering my details as it was so long ago now! Yes totally understandable that there is no one answering phones and that email is a bit slow at the moment due to current restrictions, just a little worried as springboard provider said have it back in 7 days.

On another note, I was offered, and have accepted, my preferred course. Looking forward to September now :)

This is it wrote: »
    On another note, I was offered, and have accepted, my preferred course. Looking forward to September now :)

Do you mind sharing which college? I'm interested to see where each college are with the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

The wife was offered a place on one of her choices as well. But its a bums-on-seats college & level 6 IT course so probably a lot less stringent on selection!

retalivity wrote: »
    The wife was offered a place on one of her choices as well. But its a bums-on-seats college & level 6 IT course so probably a lot less stringent on selection!

I believe it probably is a seats on bums in some cases but I wouldn't let that put her off. I'm like a broken record at this stage but I finished an IT course in 2014 that was in a private college. Managed to get my foot in the door where I am now and haven't looked back. Applied for a course this year in the same college after having a great experience last time, and obviously it had the course I wanted. Really looking forward to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Oh yeah, I was not being that dismissive, she is starting at the bottom and is full intending on taking a place.
    She had applied for 2 places - both private colleges, one with a bit more 'rep' than the other. I found it funny that one is asking for a lot of documentation, letters, possible interview etc. while the other had a lot less requests.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RunRoryRun

I filled out the form on the DIT / TUD website for transcripts - got them about 3-4 working days later by email.

py wrote: »
    I've applied to DCU and AIT. Yet to hear anything back from either of them.

Have had request for more documentation from DCU and TUD (applied after posting the above). AIT applications are still in pending state.

Still no official declines or offers at this stage from DCU, TUD or AIT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

py wrote: »
    Have had request for more documentation from DCU and TUD (applied after posting the above). AIT applications are still in pending state.

Still no official declines or offers at this stage from DCU, TUD or AIT.

Got an offer yesterday from Sligo but similar to you had a request from DCU for more info but no offer yet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Got an offer from IT Sligo but they are looking me to accept by 13th July, very soon. I would rather hear back from my other choices so I will probably have to cancel this unfortunately.

Looks like I'll be tripped up by the stupid "9 out of 12 month" stipulation for a Hdip in Maynooth.

All because they're starting the course in September rather than say October or January like some of the others.

Very frustrating.

What's that stipulation Bonnie?

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Got an offer from IT Sligo but they are looking me to accept by 13th July, very soon. I would rather hear back from my other choices so I will probably have to cancel this unfortunately.

I have that scenario in play with GMIT now. Need to respond by 11th. Not sure what I'll do.

What's that stipulation Bonnie?

You need to be on an eligible payment for 9 months of the previous 12 BEFORE the course starts.

So I've been on JA since January 1st, so my 9 months doesn't finish til September 30th. Course starts on September 7th.

Yeah they only accepted my offer last Friday 3rd and want an acceptance 10 days later... that's just it I suppose with the demand. Won't be in a position to accept that fast on my future so I'll let someone else take it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭tolow

Yeah they only accepted my offer last Friday 3rd and want an acceptance 10 days later... that's just it I suppose with the demand. Won't be in a position to accept that fast on my future so I'll let someone else take it!

I'm in a similar situation and I contacted Sligo IT and asked them to extend the acceptance date. They said that shouldn't be an issue.

tolow wrote: »
    I'm in a similar situation and I contacted Sligo IT and asked them to extend the acceptance date. They said that shouldn't be an issue.

Cheers for that. I'll email your man in GMIT now.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭AryaStark

FFVII wrote: »
    If you don't have a level 6, can you do a level 7?

I did a higher diploma in Web Technologies which is level 8. I had finished my leaving cert 10 years before and didn't go to college. I was accepted onto the course because I have enough industry experience. I then progressed to a level 9 Postgraduate Diploma in Cloud Computing... I loved it and enjoyed getting to a level 9 in two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Skidfingers

The chance of being offered a place on a course seems high?

The chance of being offered a place on a course seems high?

With nothing to go on other than anecdotal evidence I would say yes. Once you supply your documentation early on and have met the criteria set out the chances of being offered a place are very high.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

I applied for a course and getting the covid payment. Does anyone know if I might have to pay for a course if I take up work soon?

I applied for a course and getting the covid payment. Does anyone know if I might have to pay for a course if I take up work soon?

As far as I know once you're unemployed at the start then you won't have to pay once you take up employment. It was 2013 but I was on a 2 year course and started working part time, I wasn't asked for any contribution.

Also, it's 10% of the course fee for those employed. So while free is better, you're getting a great deal either way if things have changed since 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭ballybro

I applied for a level 8 course in NUIG and have been asked to provide a personal statement (500 words max ) .
    This makes me wonder have they been oversubscribed .Im already working in the industry of the course and have a level 7 qualification so its definately a relevant course for me .Just wondering what i need to mention in this statement .

ballybro wrote: »
    I applied for a level 8 course in NUIG and have been asked to provide a personal statement (500 words max ) .
    This makes me wonder have they been oversubscribed .Im already working in the industry of the course and have a level 7 qualification so its definately a relevant course for me .Just wondering what i need to mention in this statement .

Treat the statement like a cover letter for a job and sell yourself and why the course is for you.

It's pretty standard issue for post grads to have to do this.

They want to make sure that those doing the courses are the ones that should be doing them. The big issue with free things is you have lots of people applying for everything and anything so this is a good way to weed them out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭taytobreath

When some of you were asked for exam transcripts, is that the written exam you done at the time of the exam?

I always thought those transcripts were strictly private, I remember when I wanted to view one of mine a member of staff had to be in the class with me and i was not allowed to write on it or even barely touch it.

Advertisement