Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Springboard courses. Free college courses sponsored by the Irish Government

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

This is it wrote: »
    Don't forget that each course will likely fill up. If you don't plan on taking it try and cancel as early as possible to give others a chance to take the spot, don't wait until just before it begins if you have no interest in it.

Not knowing the level is probably a bad start, you also said the Data centre management course was level 6, it's level 7...

Will do chief.

There's a level 7 & a level 8 in BA Pharmaceutical Business Operations, and also a level 9 Masters or PgDip.

Plenty to go round based on previous RPEL

Best of luck finding the cert. Mine is still rolled up with the red ribbon round it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,111 ✭✭✭dinneenp

So the only Project Management course is blended (mainly class) delivery in UCC, full Friday & half day Sat.
    There's one in Sligo but it's Health PM. Any other courses that people have spotted that would be helpful for transitioning to PM?
    The Postgrad in Exec Management looks good but I'm looking for as much PM focused as possible.

Thanks,
    Pa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

dinneenp wrote: »
    So the only Project Management course is blended (mainly class) delivery in UCC, full Friday & half day Sat.
    There's one in Sligo but it's Health PM. Any other courses that people have spotted that would be helpful for transitioning to PM?
    The Postgrad in Exec Management looks good but I'm looking for as much PM focused as possible.

Thanks,
    Pa.

I didn't spot any others. That UCC course looks good but it's too much for me working full time.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭WAW

Are there any courses to get a HR qualification? Found it. All pretty basic.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Med101007

Looking to do a post grad course in BIM. A colleague of mine has done the Level 9 BIM course in TU Dublin. It sounds like a great course but unfortunately it is classroom based (2 evenings per week). This wouldn't suit me as I am based in Galway city.
    The Level 9 Cert in BIM & Lean Construction in Sligo IT looks good. Has anyone done this course? It is available on the Springboard website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭touts

Thanks,
    Pa.

That UCC course looks good but the Friday and Saturday aspect is a big commitment. Traffic to UCC is a nightmare. If it was definitely online due to Covid then it would be a great prospect. But with things reopening I'm very hesitant about it. Also it doesn't actually get you the PMP at the end of it. You still have to pay for that exam yourself. That took the shine off the course a bit. There are lots of PM courses online that gear you for the PMP exam for the same price as what you have to pay for the UCC course. They might not be as nice to have as a UCC postgrad but they give you the same prep for the PMP plus the gurranteed online aspect is appealing.

Some of the leadership etc courses look good. There is one in TCD on Innovation and Enterprise development that looks interesting and reading the spec it looks to be held around the country and online not just in TCD. Thinking of doing that one through Springboard and then an online project management course to prep for PMP. If I got both of those done in the next year it would be a good career boost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭py

I've applied to DCU and AIT. Yet to hear anything back from either of them.

touts wrote: »
    That UCC course looks good but the Friday and Saturday aspect is a big commitment. Traffic to UCC is a nightmare. If it was definitely online due to Covid then it would be a great prospect. But with things reopening I'm very hesitant about it. Also it doesn't actually get you the PMP at the end of it. You still have to pay for that exam yourself. That took the shine off the course a bit. There are lots of PM courses online that gear you for the PMP exam for the same price as what you have to pay for the UCC course. They might not be as nice to have as a UCC postgrad but they give you the same prep for the PMP plus the gurranteed online aspect is appealing.

Some of the leadership etc courses look good. There is one in TCD on Innovation and Enterprise development that looks interesting and reading the spec it looks to be held around the country and online not just in TCD. Thinking of doing that one through Springboard and then an online project management course to prep for PMP. If I got both of those done in the next year it would be a good career boost.

It can be confusing to know what to do for PM-
    - PMP is obviously the best qualification but you need 4,500 hours or PM work to be able to sit the exam.
    - can sit the CAPM with only small amount of study hours. Presume for recruiters it's not a massive thing to have but better than nothing.
    - then the amount of courses out there, some qualify as official study hours, some not.
    - then Postgrads, like the UCC course. You could ask why do a Postgrad if you're going to go for the PMP. I think the answer is that it's seen as a good, official qualification. Many people never go for the PMP & as you need 4,500 study hours before you can sit the exam having an official qualification shines you in a good light.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Kiith wrote: »
    I applied for 3 different postgrad Cyber Security courses, all of which look very interesting.

Still need to upload my degree, as i have no idea where that is. Emailed Carlow to ask if a new one can be sent out.

Which ones did you apply for if you dont mind me asking?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Burgo wrote: »
    Which ones did you apply for if you dont mind me asking?

Three i went with for now.

Postgraduate Diploma in Cybersecurity in Letterkenny
    Postgraduate Diploma in Science in Cyber Security NCI
    MSc in Software Design with Cybersecurity in Athlone IT

All online or with limited time in the college, so distance isn't really a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

Many people never go for the PMP & as you need 4,500 study hours before you can sit the exam having an official qualification shines you in a good light.

I think you're confusing experience hours with study hours. The PMP is designed for those who have already been working as Project Managers for a minimum of 3 years. There are two options for eligibility:

A four-year degree
    36 months leading projects
    35 hours of project management education/training or CAPM® Certification

— OR —

A high school diploma or an associate’s degree (or global equivalent)
    60 months leading projects

Kiith wrote: »
    Three i went with for now.

Postgraduate Diploma in Cybersecurity in Letterkenny
    Postgraduate Diploma in Science in Cyber Security NCI
    MSc in Software Design with Cybersecurity in Athlone IT

All online or with limited time in the college, so distance isn't really a problem.

You hear anything back from AIT? I'd emailed with a couple of questions about the course but heard nothing back. No progress on Springboard either.

nibtrix wrote: »
    I think you're confusing experience hours with study hours. The PMP is designed for those who have already been working as Project Managers for a minimum of 3 years. There are two options for eligibility:

A four-year degree
    36 months leading projects

— OR —

A high school diploma or an associate’s degree (or global equivalent)
    60 months leading projects

Sorry, that was a typo, I meant to say experience hours/leading projects time

Med101007 wrote: »
    Looking to do a post grad course in BIM. A colleague of mine has done the Level 9 BIM course in TU Dublin. It sounds like a great course but unfortunately it is classroom based (2 evenings per week). This wouldn't suit me as I am based in Galway city.
    The Level 9 Cert in BIM & Lean Construction in Sligo IT looks good. Has anyone done this course? It is available on the Springboard website.

Applied for this course as well but I see the one in Dublin.
    IT Sligo has a good reputation for construction courses.

I don't even know if I'd like BIM to be honest, the scope for climbing the ladder is short enough, once you finish being a BIM co-ordinator or assistant, you're the BIM Manager and that's it?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

py wrote: »
    You hear anything back from AIT? I'd emailed with a couple of questions about the course but heard nothing back. No progress on Springboard either.

No, haven't heard back yet, though i am waiting on a copy of my degree to upload as per the requirements. Letterkenny emailed me to ask for my CV and degree, so they are the only ones who actually got back to me yet.

Thanks,
    Pa.

Noticed this as well, was searching for project management courses and this would have been perfect if all online. The every 2nd friday in cork would rule me out also as in dublin.

Any other PM courses look to be starting in January 2021 which is annoying!

zweton wrote: »

Great link, thanks.

So they've pretty much identified what they believe will be the top 10 jobs there in the next 5 years.

LinkedIn learning tool looks great, I see you can get one month, to say, become a financial analyst.

However, I wonder will this "digital certificate" or whatever you get for passing an exam hold much substance in the real world with employers. It does have Project Management Institute accreditations noted on the first module there...

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Med101007

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Applied for this course as well but I see the one in Dublin.
    IT Sligo has a good reputation for construction courses.

I don't even know if I'd like BIM to be honest, the scope for climbing the ladder is short enough, once you finish being a BIM co-ordinator or assistant, you're the BIM Manager and that's it?

Yeah that's the path alright. In saying that a BIM Manager is on a fairly decent wedge. Have you been using BIM software programs like Revit & Navisworks for long? The Level 9 courses in BIM would require you to have good experience in these programs.

• Advertisement

Are these of any substance / recognition? Udemy are free but I wouldn’t be going and putting them on my cv.....

Med101007 wrote: »
    Yeah that's the path alright. In saying that a BIM Manager is on a fairly decent wedge. Have you been using BIM software programs like Revit & Navisworks for long? The Level 9 courses in BIM would require you to have good experience in these programs.

No none at all. Just know how to get my way around revit/ some of the autodesk suite.
    It didn’t say that in the entry requirements ? It says open to graduates across the built environment- architects, QS, project managers, engineers etc...
    if that were true I would have went for a level 8 in BIM.
    IT Sligo and TU Dublin both level 9 but say they’re open to all of the above. I doubt you’d need to be competent in the above? I was emailing the course contact earlier and she didn’t say anything either apart from the documents needed to upload.

Are these of any substance / recognition? Udemy are free but I wouldn’t be going and putting them on my cv.....

I've used a number of Udemy based courses to help me achieve actual IT certifications. Whilst I don't put the Udemy courses on my CV, they have contributed to the overall growth in my career.

Edit: This is the updated course which I used to get my CCENT and subsequent CCNA a good few years back. It wasn't the only learning materials I used for the exams but it was valuable. This is next on my list on there but doesn't contribute specifically to any one IT Certifcation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭taytobreath

those 450 free ivy league courses, i clicked on a few of them and they are free for the 1st week and after that €43/month to continue learning after 7 day trial ends

i signed up to ecollege and am in the middle of doing a excell expert course with them, theres a tutor emailing me every week to get my sht together coz im draggin my heels on it, theres access to moodle and a discussion forum and the exam is on site in cork or dublin.

theres about 30 courses available all free coz of covid

http://www.ecollege.ie/course

Yeah the Microsoft one above - free for one month through LinkedIn learning but not sure after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Yeah the Microsoft one above - free for one month through LinkedIn learning but not sure after that.

these courses are really good

these courses are really good

That’s brilliant. Some of those would be good prep before a springboard / full on Postgrad

Anyone see any courses to become a financial analyst? I’m really interested in that but I can’t see anything on springboard like it starting in 2020. Only one is in Waterford IT full time in Jan 2021 which isn’t possible location wise for me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Anyone see any courses to become a financial analyst? I’m really interested in that but I can’t see anything on springboard like it starting in 2020. Only one is in Waterford IT full time in Jan 2021 which isn’t possible location wise for me

Don't bother pursuing this unless you're willing to become a qualified accountant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,078 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

AngryLips wrote: »
    Don't bother pursuing this unless you're willing to become a qualified accountant.

Alot of negativity on this forum!

Advertisement