Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Parsun outboards

• 20-06-2020 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭

Looking at buying a small 2.5hp outboard for getting in and out of the marina and then easily stash away during racing. I've a 5hp at the moment that's to big and heavy. Seen a 2.6hp Parsun in marine parts at decent price. Anyone ever come across this brand before or any experience with them? I'm reckoning there's a difference of about 200 quid between them & a yamaha

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭daesal

Hi. Parsun has an ok rep. Some people say that the internal components might not be as strong/durable/long lasting as the "major" manufactures.

There's a lot of competition in the 2.5 to 3.5 hp range.so it is worth ringing around for prices.

If buying new check out the terms and conditions of the warranty.
    For example on one of the major engine brands recently I was quoted a similar price from 2 different agents,but when I asked about servicing to keep the warranty one agent said they would charge:

1) 200e on 1st service (3 months) then 150e
    Total over 5 years 950e

The 2nd place :

2) 120e per service Inc 1st (3 months)
    Total over 5 years 600e

Its also worth thinking if you have a local service place and what engines they prefer working on.This can affect their knowledge of the engine,spare parts readily available and their relationship with various manufacturers (which helps get things sorted quicker!)
    There's little point saving 50e on an engine if you have to drive it 100k to get fixed or serviced if that affects the warrenty.

I have a Tohatsu 3.5 that I find good. I know a lot of people running Suzuki 2.5 that also seems a good engine.

This is just my experience with new outboards but I'm sure there will be other useful info along soon.
    Good luck.

And P.s check delivery times if the engine isn't in stock in the shop. If its "at our warehouse" or "in the suppliers warehouse and should be here by thursday" remember that once they have your money the incentive goes to produce the outboard quickly!
    Get the delivery date written down . No point shelling out for a lovely new engine and not be able to take it out because of:
    "delays beyond our control".
    "Covid 19- the delivery drivers won't share scanners and the courier company won't buy them one each"
    "The suppliers granny is looking for Stephen Ireland"
    "The courier company couldn't find Ireland so they sent it to Iceland"
    "Lightning knocked out the whole network,but only one company"
    "Its probably in the back of the lorry ,but I don't know if the lads will bother unloading tonight"
    3 of the above are real excuses I've been given recently!.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I have a 5hp Parson from marine parts as a back up motor and to use on a tender, no problems with it yet and if I did I'm sure the guys will look after me, yes they are a cheeper Chinese made outboard but so are most of the parts you find in a Yamaha :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I've been window shopping outboards the last few months, and really like the look of the Suzuki DF2.5, as it's one the the lightest in its class.

I then found a place in the U.K. that sell Mariner outboards, and for a time, they were selling the 3.5HP short shaft for £599. A little pricier than the Parsun, but I've always thought Mariner were a premium brand of outboard, and seeing them widely used by the RNLI would give you confidence that they are a reliable engine...

Price is gone back up a little, and you'd have to factor in shipping (£8.99 they quote) and probably need to buy before end of year.....
    https://www.piratescave.co.uk/engines/outboard-engines-accessories/mariner-outboard-engines/

Something else to consider would be a Honda, which are air cooled, meaning less to go wrong over time due to impeller replacement/salt water corrosion...

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Daibheid

Honda, which are air cooled, meaning less to go wrong over time due to impeller replacement/salt water corrosion...

That 2.3 also has a centrifugal clutch - very much a strimmer engine!

But air-cooling makes a lot of sense in small engines and used to be popular on earlier outboards plus you see small generators working very very hard all day on air cooling.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭antietam1

daesal wrote: »
    Hi. Parsun has an ok rep. Some people say that the internal components might not be as strong/durable/long lasting as the "major" manufactures.

There's a lot of competition in the 2.5 to 3.5 hp range.so it is worth ringing around for prices.

If buying new check out the terms and conditions of the warranty.
    For example on one of the major engine brands recently I was quoted a similar price from 2 different agents,but when I asked about servicing to keep the warranty one agent said they would charge:

1) 200e on 1st service (3 months) then 150e
    Total over 5 years 950e

The 2nd place :

2) 120e per service Inc 1st (3 months)
    Total over 5 years 600e

Its also worth thinking if you have a local service place and what engines they prefer working on.This can affect their knowledge of the engine,spare parts readily available and their relationship with various manufacturers (which helps get things sorted quicker!)
    There's little point saving 50e on an engine if you have to drive it 100k to get fixed or serviced if that affects the warrenty.

I have a Tohatsu 3.5 that I find good. I know a lot of people running Suzuki 2.5 that also seems a good engine.

This is just my experience with new outboards but I'm sure there will be other useful info along soon.
    Good luck.

And P.s check delivery times if the engine isn't in stock in the shop. If its "at our warehouse" or "in the suppliers warehouse and should be here by thursday" remember that once they have your money the incentive goes to produce the outboard quickly!
    Get the delivery date written down . No point shelling out for a lovely new engine and not be able to take it out because of:
    "delays beyond our control".
    "Covid 19- the delivery drivers won't share scanners and the courier company won't buy them one each"
    "The suppliers granny is looking for Stephen Ireland"
    "The courier company couldn't find Ireland so they sent it to Iceland"
    "Lightning knocked out the whole network,but only one company"
    "Its probably in the back of the lorry ,but I don't know if the lads will bother unloading tonight"
    3 of the above are real excuses I've been given recently!.

Would think you are budgeting very high on service, March this year it was only
    €90 for second service on 6hp Tohatsu at 40 hours or so.

• Advertisement

antietam1 wrote: »
    Would think you are budgeting very high on service, March this year it was only
    €90 for second service on 6hp Tohatsu at 40 hours or so.

Strangely for a forum what I did was use real life figures , experience and quotes.
    Service charges from main dealers to keep warranty intact :
    I won't give the names but in regions I was quoted
    Kerry 200e
    Cork (1) 120e
    Cork (2) "between 120 and 150 depending"
    West 100e

Service costs outside main dealer are generally less but that will void some manufacturers warranty so check 1st

Strangely for a forum what I did was use real life figures , experience and quotes.
    Service charges from main dealers to keep warranty intact :
    I won't give the names but in regions I was quoted
    Kerry 200e
    Cork (1) 120e
    Cork (2) "between 120 and 150 depending"
    West 100e

Service costs outside main dealer are generally less but that will void some manufacturers warranty so check 1st

Sorry if I upset you, real life experience for me was €90 for a service after 40 hours on new 6hp.
    Wont give names myself but I tried all the ones you mention plus some on the east coast, ended up buying and getting after service in Portumna.
    Now dealing with a company in Mountrath.
    Both Tohatsu dealers.

Sorry if I upset you, real life experience for me was €90 for a service after 40 hours on new 6hp.
    Wont give names myself but I tried all the ones you mention plus some on the east coast, ended up buying and getting after service in Portumna.
    Now dealing with a company in Mountrath.
    Both Tohatsu dealers.

Thats good to know. Thanks
    Definatly worth checking around before buying .

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I'll be in the market for a small outboard in the next year or 2, and my expectation would be that I'd do all the servicing myself as and when required.

I'm no engine mechanic, but I was a mechanical fitter in a previous life, and as such, would be fully confident in being able to service the engine myself..

Antietim. I just reread my post. Sorry it could be read as a bit arsey....didnt mean it that way to you.

• Advertisement

I'll be in the market for a small outboard in the next year or 2, and my expectation would be that I'd do all the servicing myself as and when required.

I'm no engine mechanic, but I was a mechanical fitter in a previous life, and as such, would be fully confident in being able to service the engine myself..

Definitely with a small engine working out if its worth the cost of dealer service, just to keep the warranty. Its relatively straightforward on a new engine.

Antietim. I just reread my post. Sorry it could be read as a bit arsey....didnt mean it that way to you.

Not at all, you felt you got good value and happy with it I could of phrased it better.
    60 years of boating and I can be a bit of a know all.
    Retired so I have all day to search.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

My (very) old Mariner 4hp outboard has let me down twice in the last two weeks. Had a full service done on it and it let me down again! On it's last legs I think!

Now looking for a new 4hp outboard.

Looking at a 4hp Parsun (from Marine Parts) but they are out of stock at the moment (despite what the website says).

Any leads/links to good deals for similar would be welcome.

Not at all, you felt you got good value and happy with it I could of phrased it better.
    60 years of boating and I can be a bit of a know all.
    Retired so I have all day to search.

No nothing to do with me thinking I got good value...in fact nothing about me at all!
    Perhaps I phrased it completely wrong.my apologies. I was just trying to help and advise to include the service cost in the new price of an outboard if you want to keep the warrenty.
    I didnt think I posted anything about me getting good value...or being happy with it . Or even buying an outboard,let alone getting good value!
    Sorry for trying to help people with less than 60 years of experience and indeed less experience at phrasing things better.hopefully I will be able to learn a bit and phrase things better in future.

No nothing to do with me thinking I got good value...in fact nothing about me at all!
    Perhaps I phrased it completely wrong.my apologies. I was just trying to help and advise to include the service cost in the new price of an outboard if you want to keep the warrenty.
    I didnt think I posted anything about me getting good value...or being happy with it . Or even buying an outboard,let alone getting good value!
    Sorry for trying to help people with less than 60 years of experience and indeed less experience at phrasing things better.hopefully I will be able to learn a bit and phrase things better in future.

Once again apologies, I thought you got good value which was a lot better than I found in Dublin.

Wouldn't mind some tips on boat insurance.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Wouldn't mine some tips on boat insurance.

Im with "craft insure" for speed boats and the cruiser, I had no problem when claiming for my boat that sunk and when I insured my next boat.

fergal.b wrote: »
    Im with "craft insure" for speed boats and the cruiser, I had no problem when claiming for my boat that sunk and when I insured my next boat.

Thanks for that, will give them a call.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

fergal.b wrote: »
    Im with "craft insure"....

Ditto.

BTW, got my new Parsun 4hp outboard from marine parts yesterday.

• Advertisement
Advertisement