Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

$SOLO - I love it when a plan comes together

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    $SOLO - I love it when a plan comes together

I was in this time, although not a huge amount. Have put in a bigger buy order at $4.20.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Kamu

I have cash in my Degiro account again, but it looks like I missed the Nio and Solo buzz.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭peterofthebr

FED reminding market they can do more if needed, only way is up so..:rolleyes:
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-fed/fed-policymakers-worry-growth-plateauing-pledge-more-support-idUSKBN2482TW

Change of tack - I see SPCE dropping. I've gone in it with a buy order for $16.20. Neither a long term hold or a day trade.

While the Dragon crew is Tesla owned, I think a successful return of the Dragon module with it's crew end of July/Early August will see SPCE skike also.

• Advertisement

NASDAQ: SOLO
    any actual good news from this plc seems well up today whats the general stock exit price $5.30 or so

NASDAQ: SOLO
    any actual good news from this plc seems well up today whats the general stock exit price $5.30 or so

I exited at $4.99. Had a sales order in and forgot about it. Only realised when I got the confirmation email.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,388 ✭✭✭Shedite27

hottipper wrote: »
    nkla dumped down 17% yesterday up 12% today pre market. I think alot of people getting there accounts shredded in the last 3 weeks, difficult window to trade.
    I bought at $30, watched it go to $90, down to $40 yesterday,and now up 25% again today. Gonna be a rollercoaster for sure. Seems to be jumping today ona JP Morgan analyst giving a writeup. At $40 he said it was undervalued and expeceted it to climb to $45. Was over $50 at opening bell

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭hottipper

Shedite27 wrote: »
    I bought at $30, watched it go to $90, down to $40 yesterday,and now up 25% again today. Gonna be a rollercoaster for sure. Seems to be jumping today ona JP Morgan analyst giving a writeup. At $40 he said it was undervalued and expeceted it to climb to $45. Was over $50 at opening bell

i bought it into close yesterday as i thought it was selling off too much, sold it this morning shortest trade ever. staying away from it now my scam detector going off :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭crushproof

Shedite27 wrote: »
    How does Docusign continue to rise? Up 150% since start of April, up another 5% in pre-market

Yeah I don't get this one, has rocketed lately. I have a mate who works them so has plenty of shares and is quite happy to see the rise. To me it just seems like any company could create this type of product, but what do I know!

I wonder if its still worth jumping on board for the ride.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

Boohoo shares worth a punt? T/a 223.70

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    Boohoo shares worth a punt? T/a 223.70

With the claims of modern day slavery;, I could imagine they have more to fall, specifically if there is any form of formal investigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

Kamu wrote: »
    With the claims of modern day slavery;, I could imagine they have more to fall, specifically if there is any form of formal investigation.

Do you think? I think it will blow over fairly quickly unless big brands continue to drop them. Anyone with a brain knows how fast fashion brands keep their costs down, look at Primark for example. They're still thriving, despite similar accusations in the past.

Time will tell, though! Thanks for your input.

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    Do you think? I think it will blow over fairly quickly unless big brands continue to drop them. Anyone with a brain knows how fast fashion brands keep their costs down, look at Primark for example. They're still thriving, despite similar accusations in the past.

Time will tell, though! Thanks for you input.

I think people overlook the working conditions in countries like Bangladesh, India, China, Turkey and others, but these claims are centered in factories in the UK which I think does make a difference for people.

However the stock could jump up easily with how mad the market is at the moment.

If you do decide to throw a punt at it, i hope it works out!

crushproof wrote: »
    Yeah I don't get this one, has rocketed lately. I have a mate who works them so has plenty of shares and is quite happy to see the rise. To me it just seems like any company could create this type of product, but what do I know!

I wonder if its still worth jumping on board for the ride.
    I'm only in since the 24th June and it's up 22% in that time.

Used them at work for years and never thought much of them, they just basically are a "I Accept" button on PDF. I've read a bit about them more recently tho and sounds like they've expanded to a lot more ideas, and the current situation is perfect for their no-human-contact model

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

iAcesHigh wrote: »
    Finally I can write a suggestion here.

$LMND - Lemonade Inc, "modern insurance company" that IPOed recently is a bigger winner so far, and I would assume will only go up. It's a great company with visionary CEO who wants to "change insurance landscape". He had a very cool interview with Kara Swisher for Recode Decode not that long ago. It's insurance that concentrates on digital, where you can do everything online for 90%, including approved claims within 10 mins etc + they "take" only 30% (if I remember percentage correctly) of the price while the rest goes to charity of your choice. Furthermore, in the background, they offload big percentage of those insurances to third-party insurances to avoid cash-flow issues. I urge you to google yourself about them, you might be surprised even if you don't like insurance business in general. I personally believe I should invest more in companies that at least try to change the world for the better, so I'm looking into my entry point for this one, yet to pull the trigger though...

Going to give this a while to settle post IPO before I have a look. It's an interesting concept certainly from the point of view of reduced operating costs via an online model. They are quite risk adverse though with the amount of premium they are ceding to reinsurers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Atlas_IRL wrote: »
    EV is the future - need big patience and 5-10 year hold times.

Hydrogen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    All I’m going to post is what I’m doing, people need to DYOR

Bit of advice, Don't chase green candles

Instead look for the consolidation ranges that happen after those exponential rallies

$SOLO dipped right into my buy zone today after yesterday’s pump

Typically after an exponential pump, you can generally see a retrace fairly soon of 50% of the size of the pump

SOLO opened about $3.2 yesterday and topped @ $5.4 so I was looking at a retrace at approx $4.3

I had buy orders filled today @ $4.32 & $4.12
    Spot on with this. Got in at $4 out at $4.97 - thanks a bunch!

Wouldn't be surprised to see it in the red before the end of the day :confused:

kinda like that lmnd call
    https://willrobotstakemyjob.com/13-2053-insurance-underwriters
    might be the future whole industry could be replaced by ai machine learning robots at some stage :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

iAcesHigh wrote: »
    Finally I can write a suggestion here.

$LMND - Lemonade Inc, "modern insurance company" that IPOed recently is a bigger winner so far, and I would assume will only go up. It's a great company with visionary CEO who wants to "change insurance landscape". He had a very cool interview with Kara Swisher for Recode Decode not that long ago. It's insurance that concentrates on digital, where you can do everything online for 90%, including approved claims within 10 mins etc + they "take" only 30% (if I remember percentage correctly) of the price while the rest goes to charity of your choice. Furthermore, in the background, they offload big percentage of those insurances to third-party insurances to avoid cash-flow issues. I urge you to google yourself about them, you might be surprised even if you don't like insurance business in general. I personally believe I should invest more in companies that at least try to change the world for the better, so I'm looking into my entry point for this one, yet to pull the trigger though...

It does not really add up....

First of all, a well run insurance company is one that returns only 100% of its premiums in claims. So simply doing it over the internet and saying
    Lemonade’s business model differs from that of typical insurance companies in that it keeps a flat 25% fee of a customer’s premium while setting aside the remaining 75% to pay claims and purchase reinsurance.

is not going to cut it unless you can ACTUALLY reduce the claims way below every other insurance company...

And then there is this:
    Unclaimed premiums go to a nonprofit of the user’s choosing in an annual “Giveback.”

It takes about 5 to 7 years for claims to work themselves out, so how can you even go about achieving this? It is not the case that if you don't make a claim, your premiums are available to pay out, as it is required to pay those that do make a claim... And if they were holding 25% back why are the losses so high?

And what do you mean by:
    Furthermore, in the background, they offload big percentage of those insurances to third-party insurances to avoid cash-flow issues.

If you are pricing your policies correctly, you should not have cash flow issues - you should be holding reserves of premiums to meet future claims, so what it the issue?

Until we see say five years of accounts, we will not have an idea if this thing actually hangs together.

Better to sit it out and wait see how it goes, there will be plenty of opportunities to make money on it later if it actually pans out.

• Advertisement

bfa1509 wrote: »

...you can ride the wave - but do your research ...in the long term it will be better for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

...you can ride the wave - but do your research ...in the long term it will be better for you.

There is no research to be done with the EV companies though - no logic or sense to any of it. I think most people know it's a game of roulette before they get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Purchased Sea Ltd earlier in the year.
    Afraid I was buying high at the time but they have gone from strength to strength

Up 10% today, 30% since I bought them

Thanks to those that recommended it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

bfa1509 wrote: »

Great to hear, that’s a nice bit of profit

I was hoping myself to get out around $4.95 but I would have probably got a 90 day ban from Ameritrade for flipping so quickly within 24hrs

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

Jim2007 wrote: »
    is not going to cut it unless you can ACTUALLY reduce the claims way below every other insurance company...

The idea is that AI can price the insurance and estimate risk much better than any agent or generic template
    It takes about 5 to 7 years for claims to work themselves out, so how can you even go about achieving this? It is not the case that if you don't make a claim, your premiums are available to pay out, as it is required to pay those that do make a claim... And if they were holding 25% back why are the losses so high?

They are spending enormous money on advertising which absorbed 73% of total revenue in first Quarter of 2020. They do claim they are much more efficient, but they did feel (and still do) that in insurance market they won't be able to succeed without initial big spent considering many insurance companies are there for a looong time so it's hard to take their market share. Of course, this is the obvious risk - will they know how much to spend and how to do efficient marketing without depleting their money stores...
    Until we see say five years of accounts, we will not have an idea if this thing actually hangs together.

Which is the case with any company introducing something new in their industry. I do feel that many people, when you mention insurance to them, immediately think about fraudsters who are after your money and this company is trying to change that. I agree it's not a given they will succeed but their growth for now has been quite impressive so I won't have any issues "betting" on them. I won't put my whole savings on them, but I wouldn't do that with any company either way, let alone somebody introducing new, still to be evaluated, approach...

Jim2007 wrote: »
      It does not really add up....

First of all, a well run insurance company is one that returns only 100% of its premiums in claims. So simply doing it over the internet and saying

And then there is this:

And what do you mean by:

If you are pricing your policies correctly, you should not have cash flow issues - you should be holding reserves of premiums to meet future claims, so what it the issue?

Better to sit it out and wait see how it goes, there will be plenty of opportunities to make money on it later if it actually pans out.
      Yeah kinda agree, gonna sound like a capitalist here, but isn't the point of a listed company to make money for shareholders? If they can do that by making the world a better place great, but wouldn't a shareholder prefer profits to be given to shareholders, rather than to charity?

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭plasmin

hottipper wrote: »
      kinda like that lmnd call
      https://willrobotstakemyjob.com/13-2053-insurance-underwriters
      might be the future whole industry could be replaced by ai machine learning robots at some stage :)

Surely all the big insurance companies are already applying AI in their businesses, LMND are talking about it

plasmin wrote: »
      Surely all the big insurance companies are already applying AI in their businesses, LMND are talking about it
      LMND have started with the cases that are easy to apply machine learning too, mainly contents insurance for renteres (ie younger, tech-able people). It's when they get into life insurance for older people with underlying health conditions,or house insurane in areas prone to flooding that AI will take longer to catch on.

plasmin wrote: »

heres a good article on it for an against
      https://sam.substack.com/p/lemonade-plans-to-disrupt-the-5-trillion
      and yeah looks like some of the competitors are trying to copy it even the website and logo :D

idk i kinda like it added to watch list will wait for a few red weeks and buy some up

• Advertisement
    • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Is there much growth left in Shopify shares?

If you invested in 2015 when they floated at $28 you'd be doing very well. They're at $1000 at the moment

My hunch is that many of those with decent redundancy packages in the next year will try eCommerce and Shopify seem to offer the easiest solution for this

I think there's a very strong chance Amazon will buy them in the next 3 years, they already work together

Thoughts?

Advertisement