Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Unusual changes to airframes

Options
  • 08-07-2020 8:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭

Guys

Looking through my photo's I came across on of ' Snoopy ' XV208 , which was a Herc that converted by the RAF to fly through storms

I checked it's since met a digger which is a bit of a shame.

Anyway got me thinking , can anyone else think of airframes that were converted for purposes ( flying ) that made them usual

I suppose you can count things like the Guppy used by Airbus

I was thinking more of the ones that are still flying not the ones converted into restaurants etc

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Any retrofiited early warning system hardware would probably count here; the Saab 340 AEWC is particularly strange looking to me.

The last L1011 flying currently (there are a few that might be reactivated, but its unlikely), the Orbital Sciences Stargazer, has mounts for rocket launch on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

The A340 with the laminar flow wing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Air force one had a muppet installed in it a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Air Force one make me think .....I also remember a 747 SP that had an escape hatch built in

It sat over in the BA engineering space at LHR for a couple of years , when you could drive through the area ( from the Bath Road to Hatton Cross station )

Looked damn odd

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

L1011 wrote: »
    Any retrofiited early warning system hardware would probably count here; the Saab 340 AEWC is particularly strange looking to me.

Of course the ill fated AWACs Nimrods , or even the E3 AWACs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,407 ✭✭✭Tow

vvTSjUWyZXBkNAMWuKchJ5-1200-80.jpg

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

The Grumman X-29. Not strictly a modification, but close enough to an F-5 to count.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Always had a soft spot for the Shuttle Carrier Aircraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭HTCOne

f0691dd2873c47f8ac0533bd3a6bf828.jpg

I always thought this 757 that was a test bed for various systems on the F22 Raptor looked weird

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

MIT have a heavily modified B707 that it a great source of interest in the New England area when it gets airborne.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Tenger wrote: »
    MIT have a heavily modified B707 that it a great source of interest in the New England area when it gets airborne.

N404PA.jpg?resize=678%2C381&ssl=1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭Ryath

JohnC. wrote: »
    Always had a soft spot for the Shuttle Carrier Aircraft.

🤣
    Shuttle_mounting_point.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

There's an Italian Piaggio business jet that had it's radome converted to test radars for their old F104s and then their Eurofighters. There's at least one Buccaneer in Ireland that has the radome from a Tornado fitted,to test the profile of the radome for the F3.It was said that the Bucc gained a free 30 kts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Stovepipe wrote: »
    There's at least one Buccaneer in Ireland that has the radome from a Tornado fitted,to test the profile of the radome for the F3.It was said that the Bucc gained a free 30 kts.

8060477322_d36e43b0e1_b.jpg

Advertisement