Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Irish motoring in the 1980’s

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I seem to remember a girl with a K10 Micra that was “FOR REG” when I was in primary school.

It was the later one with the plastic fake light strip on the bootlid, so I’d put that later than 87?

Think 86 was the last year you could run with no plates, know someone who bought a new Hiace in 86 and ran it until 87 before registering, Think revenue had to be informed of sale and taxes paid in 87

What were kadets like? Lot of delinquents driving them at the time

C, D or E? , C was back wheel drive, made from 73 to 79, 1.0 or 1.2, very common in the eighties, very easy worked on.
    D or Astra A was front whee drive , solid wee car ,lots of engine choices including 1.8GTE and 1.6 diesel.
    E or the Goose egg Kadett was mechanically same a D with a more aerodynamic body, never liked them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Am I correct that the for reg was finally killed off when the red plates were discontinued and the 87 plates came in?

As for the Austin Maxi I learned to drive in one, the earlier models had a less than slick gear change. They did have a fuel gauge but it may have been broken.

It became worse when the year plates came in, pretty sure it was a thing up to 1990 which may have been the straw that broke the camels back.

alias no.9 wrote: »
    It became worse when the year plates came in, pretty sure it was a thing up to 1990 which may have been the straw that broke the camels back.

I know if you never taxed it you could register it again the next year but the car would have had plates

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Think 86 was the last year you could run with no plates, know someone who bought a new Hiace in 86 and ran it until 87 before registering, Think revenue had to be informed of sale and taxes paid in 87

I remember it being a thing and wouldn't’ have been old enough to remember pre 1986 so it defo went on into the early 90s. Quite common to see new cars with no plates I seem to remember.
    Gas how we’ve gone from being an extremely lax nation rules to the complete opposite now

• Advertisement

C, D or E? , C was back wheel drive, made from 73 to 79, 1.0 or 1.2, very common in the eighties, very easy worked on.
    D or Astra A was front whee drive , solid wee car ,lots of engine choices including 1.8GTE and 1.6 diesel.
    E or the Goose egg Kadett was mechanically same a D with a more aerodynamic body, never liked them

My aunt had a D then. They were better quality I reckon than the E which we had. The Astra that replaced it was a lot better car

• Registered Users Posts: 13,119 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

During the 1980s, my friend's parents had a gas-fired (turbine?) in the boot.

I presume this was a response to the oil crisis of 1979?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

I Was VB wrote: »
    For those who were of age back then what was it like?

What was the standard family car? What did the boy racers drive? What did the business people drive?

I’ve heard stories of motors being bought for £50 and being driven for years, was motor tax optional? How many drinks could ya have before the Barman took the keys off ya? Did Ireland have a motoring culture back then or were cars seen as a glorified horse? Was there a car that represented that you were “doing well”?

I could buy a car today for 50 quid and drive it for years.

Geuze wrote: »
    During the 1980s, my friend's parents had a gas-fired (turbine?) in the boot.

I presume this was a response to the oil crisis of 1979?

I’d say it was just the fuel tank!
    Our vet had a big ole Volvo 240 saloon barge that ran on lpg and had one. Something to do with the pressures of the fuel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

Reading this thread one thing that sticks out to me is in the 1980s a banger can be a sub 10 year old car, most cars now don’t fall into ‘bangerhood’ until the car is over 20 years old??

My opinion on it anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

79 would have been available to the working youth early to mid 80s so I’m guessing C, always seemed modded with big wheels if memory serves me right

• Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭JoeA3

No, this was still going on up to 1992.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭watlantic

road_high wrote: »
    I’d say it was just the fuel tank!
    Our vet had a big ole Volvo 240 saloon barge that ran on lpg and had one. Something to do with the pressures of the fuel
    Lots of people converted from petrol to LPG gas in the 80s, especially taxi drivers and professionals who did high mileage in large cars. The LPG fuel tank was huge and was fitted in the boot, leaving little space for anything else. The petrol engine was converted to gas fairly easily (by a mechanic) with a relatively cheap conversion kit. There was no 'turbine'. LPG was cheaper than petrol and considered a 'clean' fuel.

watlantic wrote: »
    Lots of people converted from petrol to LPG gas in the 80s, especially taxi drivers and professionals who did high mileage in large cars. The LPG fuel tank was huge and was fitted in the boot, leaving little space for anything else. The petrol engine was converted to gas fairly easily (by a mechanic) with a relatively cheap conversion kit. There was no 'turbine'. LPG was cheaper than petrol and considered a 'clean' fuel.

Anyone run on lpg these days?

79 would have been available to the working youth early to mid 80s so I’m guessing C, always seemed modded with big wheels if memory serves me right

Had 2, both estates, 2 big Cibies on the front, Ascona wheels

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

https://www.rte.ie/archives/collections/news/21213067-motor-show/

Always interesting to see the prices back then relative to, say, property. For what that Scorpio cost you could have had a decent 3 bed semi in ‘86

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

My uncle had the Pug 504 estate with the third row of seats.

A Granada pretty much filled the space a 5 series does now - yes you could buy a 5 series back then but nothing like as common as now.

If you wanted to save a few quid to have a brand new vehicle and didn't care about only 2 seats. You bought a car van.

Toyota Corolla was pretty much the best selling car in Ireland when I first got interested in cars.

Audi's were actual PROPER cars not just a premium brand or so it seemed.

The C3 100 was nicely styled but as was the perfect Irish way to buy a German car back then - tended to be sparsely specced.

Diesel conversions were off the scale and you'd wonder how modern insurance actuaries would deal with 1980s motoring when they get upset with 16 year old normal cars.

Rear headrests were a strong indicator you were behind a high spec cars.

I used to think 100 k miles was HUGE - my brother went to school with a fella whose parents bought a Merc with 100 k miles.

Seemed insane but in 1988 I didn't realise that on a W123 Mercedes 100 k was probably equivalent to 30 k on a normal car.

:):)

My first big motoring revelation was traveling in a Mk 2 petrol Golf. Family car was a Datsun 180b and the Golf was on a different planet for refinement.

The BEST all rounder car on the market by a country mile and bear in mind I was a Bluebird fanboy at the time.

Was the Carina II.....

Purchasable on a normal budget even if 2nd hand - check.

Comfortable - check.

Not hard to run - check.

Generally pleasant - check

Reliable - YES and to a frankly legendary level of brilliance .

Whats not to like :):).

Opel Rekords got mentioned earlier and they were one car I never got the appeal of. The one I was in was epically bland and uninteresting for something that in theory a Granada competitor.

Yes it was your typical German car spec in the 80s spec but I thought the Ascona was actually nicer. You didn't seem to get the nice feeling of refinement and ultra smoothness a decent big car should give.

Old diesel wrote: »
    My first big motoring revelation was traveling in a Mk 2 petrol Golf. Family car was a Datsun 180b and the Golf was on a different planet for refinement.

The BEST all rounder car on the market by a country mile and bear in mind I was a Bluebird fanboy at the time.

Was the Carina II.....

Comfortable - check.

Not hard to run - check.

Opel Rekords got mentioned earlier and they were one car I never got the appeal of. The one I was in was epically bland and uninteresting for something that in theory a Granada competitor.

Yes it was your typical German car spec in the 80s spec but I thought the Ascona was actually nicer. You didn't seem to get the nice feeling of refinement and ultra smoothness a decent big car should give.
    Farmers didn't really buy jeeps in 80 s ,big Rekord could pull an trailer and take the family to mass as well

Farmers didn't really buy jeeps in 80 s ,big Rekord could pull an trailer and take the family to mass as well

That makes sense.

We used a Stanza for the pull a trailer and take family to mass thing. Not the best for it - it could actually pull the trailer quite well for what it was.

But they just werent built to do it repeatedly over the long term - especially with rough farm roadways.

• Advertisement

That makes sense.

We used a Stanza for the pull a trailer and take family to mass thing. Not the best for it - it could actually pull the trailer quite well for what it was.

But they just werent built to do it repeatedly over the long term - especially with rough farm roadways.

Renault 18 and Toyota Carina would've been the favourites, fairly high ground clearance on the Renault and the Carina just wouldn't give in , pushed a transit five miles with a Carina once, didn't have a tow rope

• Registered Users Posts: 24,961 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

It went on for a few years after that. A work colleague bought a new car in March 1989 and didn't register it until 1990. It pissed off a lot of people at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭John.G

That makes sense.

I remember a number of Fiat 600D(s) pulling trailers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,494 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Padre Pio or Our lady dash magnets

Those were sat-nav for drunk drivers

John.G wrote: »
    I remember a number of Fiat 600D(s) pulling trailers.

Was that the Fiorino van? Remember a few of those around early 90s ish.

A Granada pretty much filled the space a 5 series does now - yes you could buy a 5 series back then but nothing like as common as now.

Looking at price lists from the era the prices were insane. Multiples of other makes. BMW, Mercedes were very much the preserve of the genuinely well off here. Globalistion, free trade, the euro etc have brought prices down substantially in relative terms.
    A family with any half decent incomes can now have a 5 series if they want one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

road_high wrote: »
    Was that the Fiorino van? Remember a few of those around early 90s ish.

A Fiat 600D was a rear engine car from the 50/60's.... To be honest, I'd be surprised if there were any of these doing much towing in the 80's, but stranger things have happened.

swarlb wrote: »
    A Fiat 600D was a rear engine car from the 50/60's.... To be honest, I'd be surprised if there were any of these doing much towing in the 80's, but stranger things have happened.

More likely 131 Miafiori or Ritmo, Fiorino was 127 based

Was the Carina II.....

Comfortable - check.

Not hard to run - check.

We had a Carina II 1989 used in the mid 90s- absolutely brilliant car for the era. Was the 2.0l diesel and had been a company car that had been well minded. Lovely spec and finish and felt very substantial and safe.
    My grand uncle had a big ole diesel Rekord and while they were built like a tank it felt and sounded fairly agricultural

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Philb76

When i was a kid in the 80s didn't know anyone who had a diesel car I remember our school minibus that we used to play other schools in gaa and soccer was petrol

Advertisement