Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Irish motoring in the 1980’s

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭AMGer

Child safety in cars was non existent in the 80s. I don’t ever remember having seats belts in the back until well into the 90s. My wife remembers being a child of four, where 3 of them got to sit in the back seat and 4th had to stand!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I still remember being in Rice & Roddy Renault dealership in Dundalk (probably around 1992 in fairness) as a wee fella with my dad, we had our Renault 21 in for whatever reason, service or some such. My dad was standing near the car chatting to the garage owner when he shouted over to me "what's the miles on the clock son"? I leaned in the driver window and stared at the clocks baffled. "120mph" I shouted back. He walked over to the car shaking his head. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

I still remember being in Rice & Roddy Renault dealership in Dundalk (probably around 1992 in fairness) as a wee fella with my dad, we had our Renault 21 in for whatever reason, service or some such. My dad was standing near the car chatting to the garage owner when he shouted over to me "what's the miles on the clock son"? I leaned in the driver window and stared at the clocks baffled. "120mph" I shouted back. He walked over to the car shaking his head. :D

A neighbor of ours had jdm starlet, we were in awe of it because it could go 180 ‘miles’ a hour, only years later I realized the difference between Kilometers and miles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Poster said Kadett had auto choke,

Fiat Mirafior also.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I Was VB wrote: »
    A neighbor of ours had jdm starlet, we were in awe of it because it could go 180 ‘miles’ a hour, only years later I realized the difference between Kilometers and miles.

I remember having an argument with another ~10 year old that just because the speedo on his dad's Montego went up to 150 MPH didn't mean it could actually go that fast.
    AMGer wrote: »
    Child safety in cars was non existent in the 80s. I don’t ever remember having seats belts in the back until well into the 90s. My wife remembers being a child of four, where 3 of them got to sit in the back seat and 4th had to stand!
    Seat belts weren't required on rear seats in Ireland until 1992, and it was for new cars only (three point belts on outer seats, at least lap belt for centre). Before then you may have encountered just lap belts on the outer rear seats. A lot of '80s cars had the anchor points for three-point rear belts (probably because of requirements in Australia) so could have been retrofitted.

But being thrown in the back of a van with no seats (or light!) was acceptable throughout the '90s in my experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Mr Meanor

Car vans!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,309 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Some type of picnic blanket on the back seat!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭Technique

I remember the diesel Jettas of the early eighties had a prominent rise in the bonnet compared to the petrol versions.
    Mr Meanor wrote: »
    Car vans!

There were a lot of Fiesta vans driven by young guys in the late eighties or early nineties, must have been some tax loophole making them cheap to buy new?

Mr Meanor wrote: »
    Car vans!

We had a relative with a 205 one.
    We used all sit in the back of it to go somewhere in the 90's!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

My Kadett went through phases of problems with the automatic choke - not the most reliable.
    The auto choke Peugeot I had at the time was fairly bad, it was a twin choke with both chokes "being choked".
    Flooding was an issue, same as friends Renault 18 or 20. Rust killed that car, had rebuilt the engine in it and it had lasted many years, but welding in bits of washing machine to hold the car together, eventually didn't cut it.
    The family Renault 4, similarly went to the car graveyard with rust. But not before the brakes failed on it after we rounded a corner to a herd of cows. I thought "this is going to get messy, no way out" Pulling the ineffectual handbrake and blowing the horn meant we *skimmed* a few cows as they miraculously parted in front of us like the red sea.
    Fun times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

The auto choke Peugeot I had at the time was fairly bad, it was a twin choke with both chokes "being choked".
    Flooding was an issue, same as friends Renault 18 or 20. Rust killed that car, had rebuilt the engine in it and it had lasted many years, but welding in bits of washing machine to hold the car together, eventually didn't cut it.
    The family Renault 4, similarly went to the car graveyard with rust. But not before the brakes failed on it after we rounded a corner to a herd of cows. I thought "this is going to get messy, no way out" Pulling the ineffectual handbrake and blowing the horn meant we *skimmed* a few cows as they miraculously parted in front of us like the red sea.
    Fun times

That’s the type of stories I’ve heard from the people who were old enough to remember the 1980s! Brilliant!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭rn

Toyota corollas, Toyota crowns, Toyota carina II, opel records and fiat ritmos. Main cars in my household and near neighbours.

All with towbars for pulling cattle trailers. Small trailers.

The record billowing black smoke, but huge inside.

Only the record and the carina 2 did not suffer significant rust IIRC. Filling, fibre glass repairs and resprays periodically.

Motorbikes. Lots of motorbikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,521 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Technique wrote: »
    I remember the diesel Jettas of the early eighties had a prominent rise in the bonnet compared to the petrol versions.

As far as I remember there was a load of them sold to Dublin taxi drivers as Kiely motors in Donnybrook had gotten their hands on a load of them and they were fantastic value at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

There were a lot of Fiesta vans driven by young guys in the late eighties or early nineties, must have been some tax loophole making them cheap to buy new?

Early version of PCP, think about a grand down and 100 a month with a balloon payment at the end, don't think any of them were still going by then

Late 80s.......I remember my parents, myself and my sister going from Cork to Shannon airport to collect an aunt and uncle returning from a fortnight in Spain. We'd a Ritmo 70cl ......... I'd have been standing on the return trip happy out with life.

Roughly the same time about 12 of us being dropped home from a friend's birthday party in his Dad's R21 savanna with the seats down.

Neighbour had a few quid and an e30 320i .......... followed by an e30 316i.

Another neighbour had a Jag, likely an XJ-6 but I can't really remember.

At school a few classmates' older brothers were involved in joyriding ...... one or two of them graduated into hard crime in the 90s and beyond.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,849 ✭✭✭CoBo55

There was only one amnesty and that was in October 1979. Contrary to popular belief, you could only benefit if you were on a second provisional licence in category C (now category B) and had applied for a driving test by the cut off date which was six months before the announcement was made by Sylvie Barrett. There are so many myths and untruths told about that amnesty such as people rushing out to apply the day of the announcement. Bullshít. I'd say less than 1% of current drivers benefited.

Regarding HGV's - I'd say you are confusing the amnesty with the pre-test era. Prior to 1964 there was no driving test. You simply bought the licence and ticked the categories you required. My mother had all the categories even though she never drove.

Thank you. The amount of bull**** being spouted about that amnesty is unbelievable.

One of the loopholes was that they didn't need to be tested, they were classed as commercial but were under the required weight needed to qualify for the then doe test. There was another dodge regarding road tax too but I can't remember what it was, and, of course they were cheaper than the car version.

My main memory is people keeping cars for years and years until they literally fell apart, many neighbours would have been driving late 60's early 70's cortinas, Hunter's, vauxhall Vivas etc into the mid 80's. A work colleague of my father's ambition was to have a car that was built in the same decade he was living in :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Fewer second cars. A second car would have been seen as a luxury. Without the motorways we tended to travel less and stay local, meaning 2 cars were not really required even if people could afford to run a second car.

It would be interesting to see how many miles are driven in Ireland in 2020 vs 1980, doubt anyone is measuring it. Would be an interesting take on the environmental arguments around cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Fewer second cars. A second car would have been seen as a luxury. Without the motorways we tended to travel less and stay local, meaning 2 cars were not really required even if people could afford to run a second car.

It would be interesting to see how many miles are driven in Ireland in 2020 vs 1980, doubt anyone is measuring it. Would be an interesting take on the environmental arguments around cars.

2nd cars were starting to creep in around 1989 in my area - usually it was because of scenarios like the following.

1) a Farmers wife might be a nurse and have a new or fairly new car for going to work. Said car would be the "good family car". Meanwhile the farmer would have some old yoke for pulling a trailer or general runabout.

2) Parents didn't like giving the 17 year old young lad the nice new car to learn in. So you'd buy an older car that you didn't mind if it got a few dents on.

But yeah - so many families had only one car and would try to manage with it.

• Advertisement

Old diesel wrote: »
    2nd cars were starting to creep in around 1989 in my area - usually it was because of scenarios like the following.

1) a Farmers wife might be a nurse and have a new or fairly new car for going to work. Said car would be the "good family car". Meanwhile the farmer would have some old yoke for pulling a trailer or general runabout.

2) Parents didn't like giving the 17 year old young lad the nice new car to learn in. So you'd buy an older car that you didn't mind if it got a few dents on.

But yeah - so many families had only one car and would try to manage with it.

Youngsters cycled to school/ summer job etc, didn't get chauffered everywhere by mammy and daddy. The scenario you describe with the farmers is still the same today.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Youngsters cycled to school/ summer job etc, didn't get chauffered everywhere by mammy and daddy. The scenario you describe with the farmers is still the same today.

Bus for school, thumbed in to town for a year in first job

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Break80

This was my era of cars. Mate of mine had a fiat 127 special. Fast little car. The 127 sport was even faster.
    All the small fiats of that time were quick Greyhound cars they were known as. ALL GO NO BODY.
    That time insurance was almost impossible if you were under 25 so we all used to get named on the father,s insurance.
    My Father had a fiat 131. The car was rusting before your eyes. Slam the door and there would be a pyramid of rust on the ground.
    The passenger door had a dodgy lock which a mate of mine had to be hauled back in after a fast corner one time. To this day he never forgave me.
    The best ever was 1986 one of my mates was lucky enough to hold an American passport so he had enough of the depression of the time and was heading to the States never to return. We drove him to Shannon for the send off. 6 of us in total. Of course he had to have his last few Irish pints before boarding the plane which we kept him company and of course we had to toast him luck when he left.
    A few hours later back to the car to drive to Cork and the Heavens opened and of course the wiper motor packed up. So a string was tied to the driver wiper and another to the passenger side.
    You can imagine the effort to co ordanate the pulling of the strings all the way home with heavy trucks coming at you and a drunk co pilot.
    Happy days indeed.

Break80 wrote: »
    This was my era of cars. Mate of mine had a fiat 127 special. Fast little car. The 127 sport was even faster.
    All the small fiats of that time were quick Greyhound cars they were known as. ALL GO NO BODY.
    That time insurance was almost impossible if you were under 25 so we all used to get named on the father,s insurance.
    My Father had a fiat 131. The car was rusting before your eyes. Slam the door and there would be a pyramid of rust on the ground.
    The passenger door had a dodgy lock which a mate of mine had to be hauled back in after a fast corner one time. To this day he never forgave me.
    The best ever was 1986 one of my mates was lucky enough to hold an American passport so he had enough of the depression of the time and was heading to the States never to return. We drove him to Shannon for the send off. 6 of us in total. Of course he had to have his last few Irish pints before boarding the plane which we kept him company and of course we had to toast him luck when he left.
    A few hours later back to the car to drive to Cork and the Heavens opened and of course the wiper motor packed up. So a string was tied to the driver wiper and another to the passenger side.
    You can imagine the effort to co ordanate the pulling of the strings all the way home with heavy trucks coming at you and a drunk co pilot.
    Happy days indeed.

Yea yea yea, you do know there's a worm and pinion drive in a wiper motor which makes the pulling the strings scenario impossible unless you get up under the dash and disconnect the wiper linkage from the motor, not easy after a swift gallon of airport stout.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭horseofstone

Isuzu had 2 saloon cars for sale here in Ireland in the 80's.One was called the gemini. Can anyone remember the name of the larger saloon?

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭horseofstone

Isuzu had 2 saloon cars for sale here in Ireland in the 80's.One was called the gemini. Can anyone remember the name of the larger saloon?

The Aska

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

The piazza coupe was sold in the UK anyway. Limited numbers so probably didn't bother shipping it across. Think it might have been the Hino distributor who handled Isuzu.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

The piazza coupe was sold in the UK anyway. Limited numbers so probably didn't bother shipping it across. Think it might have been the Hino distributor who handled Isuzu.
    vaguely remember that. Lads used to rave about the isuzu diesels then I think Opel started throwing Isuzu engines in their cars for a while, kind of hollowing out Isuzu business.

• Advertisement

In the 80's and 90's we had Kadett's with those metal bumpers that could fall off!

Advertisement